Iron Horse Warrior Pro Freeride Full Suspension

-Hayes Mechanical MX-2 XC disc brakes
-Shimano LX rear derailleur

Submitted by Helluva engineer a Downhiller from Golden, Colorado

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is pretty tough. I've taken some pretty gnarly crashes and the frame was fine. generally good for huckin 5-6 ft drops on the trail. I slammed into a wire fence going about 20, and the only thing that happened was the bearings in the fork broke and the seatpost sheared off.

Weaknesses:    it's a beast to get up the hill. Mine weighs about 36 lbs! Most, if not all, of the components are crap. fork sucks, broke the rear shock, brakes stopped working and bent the rotors, snapped the seatpost completely off... I've replaced a lot of stuff on this thing.

Bottom Line:
If you don't really ride very much, it's fine. Otherwise, I would replace a good deal of the components to make it decent. This was my first mtn. bike and I have learned a lot on it and haven't broken it yet, so kudos for that. When I get a real job, I'll upgrade and get a better bike. I would still consider Ironhorse though.

Favorite Trail:   Big drops, gnar down

Similar Products Used:   Kona Dawg, Jamis Dakar

Bike Setup:   Avid BB7, Pushed Fox Talas 36, Float RP23...

Submitted by wastrel a Weekend Warrior from dunbartonshire united kingdom

Date Reviewed: December 4, 2008

Strengths:    strong, very strong!

Weaknesses:    weight, this is not a light bike at all!

Bottom Line:
I bought this to spend some `quality time` with my teenage son, this is my first `proper` mountain bike so I can`t really compare it to any other `proper` bike, but, I`ll call it as I find it! first off it`s a very different bike to the `ordinary` bikes we all started out on, it`s very comfortable to ride, the gear change is excellent, it`s a real eye opener if, like me, you`re stepping up from an `ordinary` bike because the first time you click a proper shimano gear change and feel that `slick click` is just amazing. the 5" of travel is more than I`ll ever need and the brakes are brilliant for my (beginner) level of riding. and it looks good too! my son rides two grands worth of `specialised` which I`ve ridden just a couple of times, yet even though his bike`s way lighter, I prefer this, it just feels so robust and built to last. by the way, my son reckons his specialised pisses all over this, I disagree!!!

Favorite Trail:   glentress

Purchased At:   ebay uk

Similar Products Used:   various no name hardtails.

Bike Setup:   bog standard

Submitted by thomas a Downhiller from Nocross, Ga, Gwinnett

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2008

Strengths:    Good Spec. Good Value. Strong Frame, held up to 6 months of dh and freeride fine.

Weaknesses:    Frame is a little heavy for only 5in of travel. Fork Sucks, travel adjustment breaks easily, also easily fixed, too soft, way to heavy, and it flexes a ridiculous amount. Rear Shock could be better, but at last its air with rebound adjustment. Stem is way too long. Front rotor is too small, needs a 7 inch. Wheels aren't the worst, but aren't very good. Hayes Sole... Cranks are sooooo heavy. Headset sucks.

Bottom Line:
This Bike Is a great value and excellent beginner bike. However, honestly, it is way too heavy to be a trail bike, it pedals fairly efficiently for single pivot, but the frame is just too heavy. The combined with the heavy fork and crankset, the thing just weighs too much for what it is. The components are excellent, you wont find that spec on any other bike under $1500, unless its a motobecane, which suck. Its great if your broke and need a bike you can beat the hell out of.

Favorite Trail:   Anything Downhill

Purchased At:   Performance Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar3, GT I-drive 4 5.0, GT I-drive 5 3.0, Fuji Thrill LT 1.0, Specialized FSR XC, DiamondBack Mission2, Mongoose Teocali Comp, Specialized SX Trail 1, Mongoose Otero Super, GT I-drive 4 4.0, GT I-drive 5 4.0, GT Marathon 3.0, Intense Spider, Iron Horse Yakuza Aniki, Iron Horse Sunday, Iron Horse MK III, Iron Horse Azure.

Bike Setup:   Stock at first. Then Stock with a 2006 Marzocchi AM1, Truvativ Hussefelt 60mm stem, Forte Shovel pedals, Forte Lock-on grips, Michelin 2.5 front tire, FSA Bach ring.

Submitted by trumancapote a Downhiller from panorama bc canada

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2008

Strengths:    jack of all trades, well balanced, jumps well

Weaknesses:    terible suspension, terrible brakes (the rear brakes inexplicably stopped working), rear suspension bottoms out, cant do anything particularly well

Bottom Line:
this bike is an ok entrylevel bike for terrible riders. i was only convinced into purchaing it because of the price and colors. if you are looking for your first mtb, buy a good hardtail bike for the same price.

good full suspension bikes do not come for less than $2000.

if i see you on this bike i will spit on you

Favorite Trail:   crazytrain

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz nomad, transition bottle rocket

Bike Setup:   wellgo dh peddals, db stem, panoracer tires, juicy3 brakes

Submitted by bob a Weekend Warrior from blood run va us

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2008

Strengths:    Strong frame, great components, and great geometry.

Weaknesses:    Front shock. Other than that the bike is great. I have had no problems with this bike.

Bottom Line:
Buy it if you like to ride xc/am. I love it. Can do anything you will put it up to. Ironhorse did a great job with this bike.

Bike Setup:   wonderful.

Submitted by Buzzard a Downhiller from Ridgecrest, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: December 6, 2007

Strengths:    frame is very strong (enough to hold up to an 8' drop on my dh course) good suspension with limited bob, seams to like flowy downhill trails

Weaknesses:    suspension stiffens a bit while you're on the brakes (it's a single pivot), i've broken a few spokes on the wheels

Bottom Line:
For a designated trail bike, this thing has proven itself as a lightweight freeride bike. The frame is VERY strong! I still do dirt jumps in my backyard every day and it feals like a very comfortable slopestyle/ 4X bike. It handles very well on flowy technical rhythm sections, and negotiating steep gnarly downhills. Flickability, jumpability, and firm pedalling are its most enjoyable assets.

It's one major weakness is how it handles under hard breaking: the rear stiffens and the fork compresses, causing some pretty frustrating break jack (as all single pivots do). I LOVE this bike!

Favorite Trail:   my downhill course

Purchased At:   Randal Scott

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar, Kona Stinky, Kona Coiler, Giant Faith, Spec. Enduro, Rockhopper, (my friends are hardcore freeriders)

Bike Setup:   Vannila suspension, XTR derraileur, hone crank, Nevegal Tires,

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Littleton

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2007

Strengths:    Strong frame, good components for the money, handles well for it's market segment

Weaknesses:    Fork is a little weak, needs a better one.

Bottom Line:
This bike is everything that I need right now. I'm getting into downhill and freeride, and this bike can take all that I'm willing to give it. Sure it doesn't have fancy suspension systems, or more travel than a truck, but it works incredibly well for mild DH and FR. I reccomend this bike to anyone looking for a hell of a deal on a good bike.

Bike Setup:   Pretty much stock, so far.

Submitted by Liam Lowe from Freeville, NY, US

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2007

Strengths:    Climbing ability (for full suspension), plush suspension, sturdy frame, can handle everything I throw at it

Weaknesses:    Fork needs to be replaced, for such a quality bike it is not very good.
Also, rims (and tires?) aren't very good. When I corner I often roll the tires off the sides of the rims. I was told this could be fixed with wider rims so I'll replace them soon

Bottom Line:
Perfect bike for the kind of riding I do (a combination of cross-country and freeride). Light enough to haul up the hills , tight enough suspension to pedal (as long as you don't stand up) but beastly enough to hit some nice drops and such. I haven't pushed this thing as hard as I could yet and I've hit 4-5 foot drops on it. I've biked Whiteface on it and it held up fine. I'd love to ride it somewhere even more intense (The Shore!) if I could. A great all-mountain, do anything bike.

Favorite Trail:   Shindagin Hollow

Purchased At:   The Bike Rack

Bike Setup:   Factory: Sram x-7, Avid disc, Manitou Splice fork, Fox Vanilla Rear, Truvativ stem, bars, cranks, etc

Submitted by Alex a Weekend Warrior from Gloucester

Date Reviewed: July 10, 2007

Strengths:    >>>>>>>> VERY STRONG FRAME! nice parts for the price!

Weaknesses:    deraileur hanger..... rear shock ,fork,wheels, i wish the frame was a little different so a bigger shock could be compatible.

Bottom Line:
>>> nice bike. easy to j hop on, beast on downhill parts of trails ( With new tires ), just could use some upgrades. Dont buy this bike if u are a person who loves drops this bike can only take drops up to 4 feet,over all its bombproof

Purchased At:   Dicks sporting goods

Similar Products Used:   maverick

Bike Setup:   truvative hussefelt stem, maxxis highroller 2.35, bontrager earl 2.4, putting vanilla rc or dhx on it,Azonic strip bar,snafu Dj seat, putting and all mountain 3 on also.

Submitted by jeremy a Weekend Warrior from oc,ca

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2007

Strengths:    value, strong frame, plush travel

Weaknesses:    weight, long cockpit with oe setup, feel some flex in the frame

Bottom Line:
great value!!! 5 inches of plush travel. Great starter all-mountain bike. I will continue to upgrade components. I am 5-11 190, this bike has been very solid so far for me.

Favorite Trail:   any dirt

Purchased At:   go-ride.com

Similar Products Used:   older Iron horse freeride

Bike Setup:   mostly stock exceptions are kenda nevegal/blue groove, fsa stem 80mm, oury grips, crank bros mallet

Submitted by Jon Posadny a Downhiller from Toledo, Ohio

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2007

Strengths:    Paid under 1K and all parts are name brand. True all mountain bike, jack of all trades but master of none.

Weaknesses:    front fork (manitou splice) to squishy and no adjustment. I'm gonna put a Nixon on it in a few weeks. WTB SX 24 wheels bent all to hell after first couple rides.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike cause I wanted to get into DH but I didn't want to wait to buy a committed DH bike. I'm glad I bought it cause you can do everything on it. Goes up good but you have to stay seated, comes down great. The front fork sux Id give it 5 stars if it came w/ a better fork for the same price, Or at least close. The WTB SX 24's are to weak for DH and got replaced within the first month. They got bent all to hell and couldn't be straightened out. The X-7 shifters broke the second or third time I crashed but that was my fault, I put X-9's on it and now I'm even happier with it. The Truvativ 110mm stem that came w/ it is too long for FR and will be replaced shortly. I caught the left crank arm on the edge of a brick wall doing 25mph riding urban and bent up the Wellgo peddals that came with it. They were good tho but I got Funn Soljam Vipers and they own. The crank arm got a little tweaked but the BB is still perfect. Handles smallish drop-offs great I'm in ohio and you dont really see drops bigger than 6-8 feet very often so this is a good bike for our little DH scene. The Vanilla R has no bob (pro-pedal) and the rebound adjustment is nice. I'd buy it all over again and recomend it for anyone looking to do a little of everything on the mountain.

Favorite Trail:   Mohican Wilderness

Purchased At:   Dick's Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   This is the first bike I've had that wasn't a hardtail.

Bike Setup:   X-9 triggers, X-7 der(rear), Shimano Deore(front), Sun Singletracks, WTB Weirwolf's, Fox Vanilla R, Truvativ cockpit, Cane Creek Aheadset, FSA Gamma Drive, Avid BB5, Manitou Nixon (soon)

Submitted by Paul Schneider a Cross Country Rider from New york

Date Reviewed: January 31, 2007

Strengths:    The avid BB5 brakes are responsive and feel just right and the shifters, once I got used to them work well also. There are plenty of choices of gear combinations to help tackel a wide variety of terrain. The derailurs, rear;SRAM X.7, front;SHIMANO DEORE, move the chain smoothly from gear to gear.

Weaknesses:    Rims; Rims began wobbling after about 2 rides. I brought them to two local bike shops for truing, neither was able to true up the rims. I recommend replacing the rims

Bottom Line:
I am 6' tall 215 pounds. I have been riding this bike since may 2006 and I have to say this bike fly’s on the downhill and straight-aways, thanks to its weight approximately 30+ pounds, once I got used to the gearing I found out the bike climbs well also. Once I replaced the rear coil, called FOX Racing Shox to size the spring to my weight, and the rims this bike became everything I was looking for in a bike. I don’t feel that I have pushed this bike to what it is truly capable of doing. I ride this bike on the local intermediate, blue diamond, and some, black diamond, advanced trails, and I find the bike to be perfect for tight hilly terrain.

Favorite Trail:   Stillwell Woods

Purchased At:   Randall Scott

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Coil EX

Bike Setup:   needed to replace the rear coil; The bike came with a 550 pound coil which was to soft for my weight, to low of a spring rate, for my weight. Otherwise I found that with some adjustments to the seat and handlebars, the 19" bike I purchased was perfect for my height and reach.

Submitted by jeffrey a Weekend Warrior from harrisville

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2006

Strengths:    i have the 2005 warrior pro ds 15 inch frame
great bike, im 5'5" and it fits me perfect
just got this bike a few days ago

NO pedal bob
fork is good
seat is comfy
shifters are great
brakes are very good
great tires

Weaknesses:    doesnt come with flat pedals
rear air shock doesnt rebound to quickly
grips arent that great

Bottom Line:
awesome bike for the money. good feeling. no pedal bob. awesum for trails and isnt terrible for riding around town. can handle some smaller drop offs and jumps if you are light. i ride around on streets and at skateparks and still have a blast. does great wheelies. its a great bike and i would reccomend anyone to buy it.

Purchased At:   rscycle.com

Similar Products Used:   friends bikes... giant canyon special edition... cannondale chase...kona dawg...

Bike Setup:   oddysey pedals... soon hopefully going to get a bashguard.. new grips...maybe a coil shock in the rear...eventually hayes HFX 9s or Juicy 5s

Submitted by dirtysock a Cross Country Rider from MA

Date Reviewed: August 14, 2006

Strengths:    Price, frame, decent components, low maintenance, looks good, All Mountain

Weaknesses:    Heavier than the lighter duty x country bikes (obviously)
Front shock lacks adjustability. Will probably upgrade in the future.

Bottom Line:
This is a review of the 06 Warrior Pro. I've ridden the bike for a little over a month and so far it's everything I've wanted it to be. I took it to Pedrosfest and really broke it in and it handled everything I threw at it. I don't go crazy on drops but I do mix it up a little. This bike is branded All Mountain and thats probably about right. To me it's basically a harder core x country bike. Heavier than some people would like but not that bad. Climbs fairly well and the suspension does a good job. Downhill it is also well suited. Pedal bob is not really noticeable at all to me, and thats probably due to the pivot design, and pro-pedal of the fox shock. Best value I could find at this price-point, and the performance is also there.