Iron Horse SGS-Expert Freeride Freeride Full Suspension

4.56/5 (9 Reviews)
MSRP : $2099.99

Submitted by Adam a Racer from Philly

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2006

Strengths:    I built this bike to tame the Bow Ridge trail in Lynn, MA but moved to Philly and it has turned into my do-it-all fun bike. FSR suspension is as good as it gets, 1.5" headtube is one of the most underrated improvements to the FR scene since 20mm thru axles.

Weaknesses:    Stock Vanilla R shock must go; not as "pretty" as newer bikes so it won't get you many oohs and ahhs

Bottom Line:
I can't imagine a better bike for the money. I purchased this bike three years ago off ebay and since then it's been nothing but pleasure to ride. It's not light by any means, but I will take it on three hour epics one day, then bomb it down knarly DH shuttle runs the next. The two key upgrades from stock are the rear shock (Vanilla RC or better) and a Titec Scoper seatpost. I run two sets of wheels, Mavic 521s with 2.35 Highrollers for trail use, and Sun Doubletracks with 2.5 Nevegals for DH. When I'm trailriding (90%) I have the seatpost constantly going up and down and with the propedal rear end and SPV up front I can really pedal this bike up and over anything I want with very little pedal feedback. It's heavy so you have to earn your way to the top, but the point and shoot robustness of the ride down is worth it. I race XC but do most of my "training" on this 40+ lb bike, which is sort of like throwing a 20lb dumbell in my camelback. Compared to the bikes listed above, it is most like the Norco Shore with a slightly longer top tube but virtually identical FSR suspension and travel. I would place this bike smack in the the middle of the "freeride" class, I run it 7x7 and it's simply a jack of all trades. I plan on having this bike for several more years.

Favorite Trail:   Lynn Woods (MA)

Purchased At:   ebay (frame only)

Similar Products Used:   Norco Shore, Specialized Bighit, SC Bullit, Kona Stinky DL

Bike Setup:   Vanilla RC w/ Propedal, nothing stock except the Pig headset. Avid Juicy 8" F+R, Blackspire Dualie Guide, Full SRAM, '05 Sherman Breakout w/ SPV+, Titec Scoper, Race Face cranks/bars/stem

Submitted by Kevan a Downhiller from Ojai, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2006

Strengths:    The bike is overall good. I have not had any problems with it. The fork hadles great and does its job. Nothing needs to be said about the barkes other than they can stop on a dime and ride pretty smooth. The wheels are a good fit for it too. Both the front and rear derailers are great as well. I've had no problems with the bike so far. Nothing more than just needing minor a tune up. The frame is is pretty solid. Overall I love this bike. The tires are killer as well. Although they seem to wear down a bit fast but not by considerable amount.

Weaknesses:    The rear shock is a bit soft. The Fox Vanilla R is an entry level shock. My suggestion is to have a stronger spring put on it or buy a different rear shock. The weight is a bit of a factor considering it wieghs about 42 lbs but after a while, the weight doesnt seem to matter.

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike and is all around fun to ride. It can take a lot. Everything that I have thrown at it, it has soaked up like its nothing. I love it and plan to modify it to make it just that much better.

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky, Specialized Big Hit

Bike Setup:   Stock.

Submitted by Luke a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2005

Strengths:    Great frame! Very capable bike, nimble, smooth, strong!

Weaknesses:    Most parts only suitable for mild dh or freeride!
Dont do massive drops on standard parts!
*Broke lower swing arm, rear wheel & deurailer on big drop!

Bottom Line:
Great Bike, good entry level parts for price, goes off when modified!!! :)

Favorite Trail:   Any thing crazy

Purchased At:   Mitcham cycles

Bike Setup:   Now has Marzocchi Shiver DC, Easton carbon barz & seat post, SRAM X9 rear, E-thirteen front ring & bash gaurd, RaceFace Turbine Cranks, 5th Element 8.5x2.5 5way, Mavic DeeMax wheelset!

Submitted by Howie a Weekend Warrior from AZ

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2005

Strengths:    Super strong. Fsa handle bars, headset and stem. Great travel. Looks great. Handles excellent both freedride and some light downhill.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, Deore shifters and front DR. Hayes brakes are hard to adjust?

Bottom Line:
for the price this bike rocks. I bought it at supergo on the day they had 15% off any thing in the store. Then the bike rang up as 1199.00 insted of 1299.00. so the bike before tax come out to 1020.00. wow. so for the price i can look past the weaknesses and upgrade them later. I have had a ton of fun with this bike.

Purchased At:   supergo

Submitted by Mr Brooks a Weekend Warrior from Launceston

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2004

Strengths:    Tuff as Nuts, I'm landing bigger drop-offs than I ever had before with ease. The front ends rigidity with its 1.5 headset and 20mm thru axle, is confidence inspiring.

Weaknesses:    The were pedals are squeaking and grinding after just a couple of easy rides - no big drop-offs!!, if theres one thing I hate its gringing pedals. Every thing else has sealed bearings apart from the pedal!!

Bottom Line:
Tuff as, confidence inspiring, awesome brakes and tyres, except that they flick up a hell of a lot of pebbles and grit. It's just a pity they cant build a bike this tuff, a touch lighter. Ride Hard!

Favorite Trail:   West Launceston Single Track

Purchased At:   The Bike Shed

Bike Setup:   Stock - Medium

Submitted by Darren King a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne,Austtralia

Date Reviewed: November 26, 2004

Strengths:    Overall a well designed bike,Sherman Flick performs up to task and drive line is clean and smooth in shifting,Fox R works well once set up right.

Weaknesses:    Not enough travel in front fork should have been 150mm travel fork from start.Basically should of set it up as same as SGS Pro ie: Sherman Breakout and a 3 way Coil setup and left driveline as is.Also takes a couple of weeks of various riding styles to sought out Suspension Setup but once you have adjusted it does work well.

Bottom Line:
I think Iron Horse have built 1 of the best Freeride bikes for Value. Yes it is heavy i noticed this for the first couple of weeks, But have adjusted to the extra eight now and don't even notice it now.Just one last thing Will be bolting on a New set of Sherman Breakout Plus 130-170mm forks & 3Way Coil over the New Year so will keep updated.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose & Norco

Bike Setup:   As i ride this bike daily,I have 2 setups which might help other owners.
1) On the road ,Reduce Flick to 90mm travel and have compression damping set at 3/4 of a turn back from full,And on the rebound have it set to about 12-14 clicks from full.
2) Dirt Setup is as above but with the Flick set at 130mm travel and then it is a case personal prefrence. With the rear Coil to set up sag is pretty simple as it only has rebound adjustment i usally have this set 6 clicks from hard and just adjust by 1-2 clicks either side for personal prefrence.Must make sure that spring is correct for body weight.

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Warrenton, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 17, 2004

Strengths:    Strong.

Weaknesses:    Too low & not enough travel up front for very steep trails.

Bottom Line:
This is an update to my preliminary review below. I got to really thrash this bike yesterday at Wintergreen/Mecca, and have a couple of nits to pick. If you're riding very steep, rocky trails, you might want to swap out the 130mm Flick for something longer, such as a Breakout 150mm or Breakout Plus 170mm. As stock, you're canted too far forward, and practically have to rub your arse on the rear tire to keep from going over the bars. When (not if) you run into a leaf-covered rut and find one of those lovely hidden rocks, you're probably going over, just as I did three times. Also, the bottom bracket is a bit too low for the same type of riding. Even with the cranks held horizontal, I kept smashing my crank end & pedals on rocks. I've ordered a Breakout Plus in the hopes of solving the two issues: slacker geometry should put me in a more "DH" position, and it will raise the BB just a smidge. This will, of course, sacrifice some measure of singletrack turning ability, but... No other complaints. Everything works just as it should, and at this price point, ya can't really complain too much.

Purchased At:   Performance

Submitted by Andrew a Weekend Warrior from Warrenton, VA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 2004

Strengths:    Good component spec & frame design, especially when you consider the price point. Very strong frame w/ the right geometry for tackling technical trails/jumps. Short rear triangle is especially well suited for technical, east coast trails (very quick acceleration). Cool paint job. Looks ready for warfare. Maxxis Slowreazzy tires.

Weaknesses:    Cheesy stickers. Sprung too softly for the average user. I'm 6' even, and bought the medium, which came with a medium spring up front & a 550# spring out back. WAY too squishy! I replaced with an X-Firm up front and a new 2005 DHX 5.0 w/ a 700# spring out back. Much better!!!

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike for the price. I have absolutely no regrets about my purchase. Rides smooth, accelerates quickly, is burly as hell, and looks cool. A great value.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Mtn Cycle DHS

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for X-Firm ride kit in the Flick, and a new DHX 5.0 shock w/ 700# spring out back.

Submitted by Brandon a Weekend Warrior from Hungington Beach California United States

Date Reviewed: June 9, 2004

Strengths:    Price!!! Comes with very good components for the price and they can also take a beating. Tires on it are Maxxis High Rollers, they grip great and don't let go!

Weaknesses:    Came with bent front disk, that pissed me off a whole lot!!! Very heavy but you should expect that with this kind of bike. Seat post was either too long or bike wasn't engeneered that good because I had the seat post kinda low and I bent it the first day I took it out!!! When I got home I had to cut off the seat post so that wouldn't happen again. Maxxis High Rollers cost $60 each.

Bottom Line:
Over all the bike is very good. I mostly dirt jump with it and it performs well. I've only taken it down a 4 ft. drop and only a few big hills but I'm sure this bike can handle a lot more than I throw at it. The only complaint I have about it is the seat post. If you were to buy this bike just make sure to cut the seat post so when you ride it it is hanging out less than an inch otherwise you will end up bending it!!!

Favorite Trail:   Sheep Hills, Fairview Park