Haro Extreme X1 Freeride Full Suspension

4.06/5 (48 Reviews)

Submitted by Derek a Cross Country Rider from Los angles, California, usa

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2010

Strengths:    This bike will take any abuse. You can shoot it. This bike also has a firm strong handle bar. Great price for what u get. It's pretty amazing what u can get with 800$ these days! I would rather have a 5000$ bmx bike bit I'm only 12 so that's not even an option!

Weaknesses:    A bit too heavy. An the fork broke after my first 6 ft drop!

Bottom Line:
Overall it's a great bike for cross country, and downhill riders u get an EXTREME ride!LOL

Favorite Trail:   Ferns park trail

Purchased At:   Foys Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   This is my first bmx

Bike Setup:   I don't really know? I'm only 12!!!!!

Submitted by monarkman a Cross Country Rider from East Hartford, Connecticut

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2010

Strengths:    Strong, strong, strong. Takes whatever is thrown at it. Great for fast down hills, with relaxed geometry, will allow to plow over seemingly precarious sections and recovers easily out of tough situations where you are thinking to yourself, I am not going to clear this section but it does.

Weaknesses:    Heavy, and not a good climber. Very much effort to keep bike upright on real tight sloww single track when climbng, but it is an all mtn bike so it does what it was designed for very well.

Bottom Line:
This is a folow up review after pounding on this bike for 6+ years. It has been a bulletproof bike. Have replaced things, but the frame is killer, ergonomics are A+++ and the bike is great for fast trails, downhills and real rough terrain and drops.

Favorite Trail:   Case Mtn.

Purchased At:   Main Street, Manches

Similar Products Used:   FSR XC

Bike Setup:   Fox rear air shock and Fox air fork. Shimano hydrolic disc brakes, carbon bars, ATAC pedals.

Submitted by mtnbikinggolfer a Weekend Warrior from Boulder City, Nevada

Date Reviewed: December 8, 2008

Strengths:    Light enough for cross country, strong enough for downhill.

Bottom Line:
It is a great, strong bike. This bike has seen some serious crashes. Several parts have been replaced but not often. It is fine for downhill. Actually, it is great for downhill. It always gives me a sense of accomplishment when I ride the shuttle up with all the downhill guys with their expensive bikes and me with mine. Especially when I pass them on the trail :). Great bike for anyone who wants to ride anything. Great price, superstrong.

Favorite Trail:   Snakeback to Reaper(Bootleg Canyon)

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike Wareho

Submitted by 4anthony a Downhiller from st.catharines,Ontario,Canada

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2008

Strengths:    I find the frames pretty strong but I do not have stock so besides that I m not sure lol

Weaknesses:    I find the shock is weak because it bottoms out inless u land to tranny, I also see that the seat is uncomfy

Bottom Line:
Its a great bike for what I payed its got some good specs I need to upgrade some stuff still (casset, headset, shock, hardware, need some spacers, new brakes and I think thats it maybe the frame after a bit and new crank arms one a lil bent but it is fine)

Favorite Trail:   Brock and Glenridge

Purchased At:   Pinkbike off a guy

Similar Products Used:   hmm this is my first bike

Bike Setup:   Junior T x fusion rear shock mrp crank haro pedals and seat bombshell rear wheel maxis tire and spezialezed front tire not sure what front rim is I think it could be tripple walled or a alex rim? Aheadset guy set it up wrong so its crap need a new one and shimano x7 dearilur and some rusty beat casset works though need a new one hayes solo brakes 6 inch rotors :( demo handle bars

Submitted by Richard a Downhiller from Bracebridge, Ontario

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2008

Strengths:    the frame is god-it stands up 2 so much abuse its not funny

Weaknesses:    the forks are garbage-try not to get them if possible or buy better ones wen buyin the bike

Bottom Line:
awesome bike for drops under 12 feet-wouldnt recomend goin over that\\. the frame is rock solid and is awesome for all types of riding(xc,dh,freeride,dj)would highly recomend this bike to everyone!

Favorite Trail:   the ones i make

Purchased At:   Nielsons bicycles

Similar Products Used:   haro escape 8.3

Bike Setup:   better discs

Submitted by Kevin a Downhiller from East

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2007

Strengths:    Strong...strong...ummm, did I say strong?

Weaknesses:    Stock fork wasn't to hot for a bigger rider.

Bottom Line:
This was a great bike for it's price. The bike is strong and will handle what you throw at it. I'm on the heavier side (about 230) and I've used it for light downhilling to XC riding. Stock components are ok. Use 'em till they wear out and get a quality Marzocchi/Fox on the front. Same for the back. Wrap the chain stay...it gets beat up by the chain plus it'll make the bike way quieter. I've run anywhere from a 120mm stem down to a 50mm. Using a 90 on it now and that seems pretty good.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere pointed down

Similar Products Used:   Kona

Bike Setup:   Put on Zokes Z1 on the front...made a huge difference in the bike. Pushed Fox RC on the back. Avid BB7 brakes and Loco wheelset.

Submitted by Lim a Weekend Warrior from Penang

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2007

Strengths:    strong frame perfect for young freeriders with tight budget

Weaknesses:    Actually, the sum of money you paid, went to the frame, thats why the strength is unpredictable (for the price)
the parts are bad that average

Bottom Line:
the previous writer was right, if possible, get only the frame. it is strong --- but not for 20ft drops, at least it is stronger than what you'll expect. This can also be an all-mountain bike, great for XC too. unfortunately...HARO installs it with an XC fork just to reduce the building cost. it works well with a fork around 150mm of travel. with good parts, drops and jumps will be much easier.

* remember to adjust the rear shox to avoid bottoming during drops >4ft*

Favorite Trail:   mt. erskine

Purchased At:   Chin Aik

Bike Setup:   all original parts (currently), wanna upgrade later...

Submitted by Mason Mason a Downhiller from , Malaysia

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    Extremely solid frame, I shall call this a downhill frame, if can, just buy the frame.
Rear rock shox deelux working very actively, thumbs up.
versatility
weight
cheap price

Weaknesses:    some of the parts, esp fork, need upgrade.

Bottom Line:
This is a perfect bike for a downhiller/freerider/xc rider.
as it is very versatile.
wit upgrades, 20 ft drop is possible

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   bought used

Similar Products Used:   santa cruz heckler, scott ransom, mountain cycle san andreas

Bike Setup:   marzocchi bomber, alexrims, Panaracer fire DH, XT, amoeba handlebar, selle italia X0

Submitted by Brandon a Downhiller from Fruita, CO

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2007

Strengths:    Very good strong frame

Weaknesses:    Brake rotors too small. Marzochi MZ Comp forks get stiff in cold weather. Not for huge jumps. Suspension must be very tight to avoid bottoming out over jumps 5 feet tall or bigger

Bottom Line:
Good for a beginner downhiller that wants to get started with bigger drops and jumps

Purchased At:   Brown Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Bullit

Submitted by scott bifano a Downhiller from Westport, CT, USA

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2006

Strengths:    its a pretty good overall bike, ok for urban riding, rims, and all components hold up pretty well, no problems yet, except Derailleur hanger

Weaknesses:    fork gets stiff when it gets cold (SR Suntour Duro) brakes arnt that good, Rear Derailleur hanger breaks alot unless Derailleur is upgraded

Bottom Line:
overall its a pretty good bike, better for downhilling. if you have te right parts on it, it can be a really solid bike.

Purchased At:   smart cycles

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Bullit

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 888 Bomber Works, 5th element rear shock, redlind 20mm axle hub with an Alexrims rim, 8" Hayes hydro, front and rear. yeti lock-on grips, shimano xt rear Derailleur, shimano deore shifters

Submitted by Klank a Cross Country Rider from Tempe, AZ USA

Date Reviewed: November 13, 2006

Strengths:    Solid frame-, Steady forks (Marzies comp) rideline is easy to keep and the fork will take some serious rocks and steady small drops without changing a beat! Our mountain (South mountain)is mostly rock and has quick fast steps if you like to go fast. the 6in of rear travel on the X-force shock was a nice feature so to speak (my last full suspension was in a completely different class-Zemopi)

Weaknesses:    Heavy frame, Forks have to be adjusted together (two adjust dials one on each side) would upgrade if cost allowed, turn radius sucks, sharp turns are almost impossible on a large frame (I'm a 6'8" rider) I rode a V3 (Old VGF model)for 7 years and it was a dream bike for a xc hardtail (it also took a serious beating-mostly concrete)! The X1 is heavy and knowing that this bike is designed to mostly move in the downward direction it is slow for a daily urban rider to huff around town on 2.25 tires but it makes for a damn good workout-my mountains are nice now. I cannot say much about the rest of the components as I transferred parts (bought bars, stem, fork and frame w/ rear shock)

Bottom Line:
Good damn job Haro-Lighten this b-otch up, call it the XC77 and put my name on it and we'll have a deal!

Purchased At:   Friend/old boss

Similar Products Used:   Haro brand-V3
Fullsuspension-Zemopi

Bike Setup:   Large frame X1, Marzocchi comp fork, race face prodigy cranks, Race face XC BB, DDpro Titanium seat, stock guts and stem, geax sturdy 2.25's, Shimano XC 765 hubs with a rear Mavic EX721(built by me), Shimano XC cassette, Deore rear derailler (original-almost 8 years old!) Deore front Derailler, Mongoose Platform Oldschool pedals, Alex rims Front rim (rebuilt with XC hub) (original as well)

Submitted by William a Cross Country Rider from East Hartford, CT, Hartford

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2006

Strengths:    tough frame, very cheap price for what you get. Great ergonomic feel, ( I have medium size and am 5'9")

Weaknesses:    lower end components, heavy, brakes suck.

Bottom Line:
Very tough bike. I actuall bought it as a XC bike because my FSR needed too much $$$ to fix up. It decends very well, does not climb well, is heavy, but it is what it is, and does what it does very well. The head tube angle allows me to hit drops and descend downhill fast, something my FSR would make me nervous doing. I upgarded the rear shock, with a FOX float....completely transformed the bike. I am now riding a $900 bike ( w/shock) that rides better than my beloved FSR. The brakes suck, but juicers are on order.

The botoom line..the bike is bullet proof. I have ridden it very hard over very rocky terrain, and in 2-1/2 years have broken nothing. And thanks to my wifes cooking, I now weight in at around 190 lbs. So , for the $$$$ I do not regret buying this bike at all

Favorite Trail:   CASE

Purchased At:   Main Street, Manchester

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR XC

Bike Setup:   CNT monkeylite bars, ATAC pedals, fox float air shock, BI-CYCLE saddle.

Submitted by Pat Dalton from Poland, Maine USA

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2006

Strengths:    rugged, simple, reliable, decent performance.

Weaknesses:    wieght, paint job. bottom bracket.

Bottom Line:
First, this bike is being categorized incorrectly. This is a XC/All Mountain bike. Not a freeride bike. The fork that came on it was a MZ Comp, and by Marzocchi's classification, is a XC fork. I don't use mine for Freeride, so it dosn't matter. I love the bike. I upgraded the suspension, and the bike is now a kick-butt All Mountain ride. Once I got the fork and rear shock dialed in, I've enjoyed it more and more. In summer I ride 1 - 3 times a week. 1 - 4 hours/ride. I wore out the bottom bracket within 4 months. So I ride alot. This bike is very tough, and has not given me any problems otherwise. It is a little heavy, but the most important factor for me is that it is fun to ride. Therfore I ride more. I recommend this bike to anyone, just upgrade the suspension if you have the $$. Dollar for dollar, I have less $$ in this, with the same performance as a Heckler, or Prophet level of bike. Good value.

Favorite Trail:   www.bikebackcountry.com

Purchased At:   www.erniescycleshop.com

Similar Products Used:   98 Schwinn S-30, Bridgestone MB-6.

Bike Setup:   All Mountain SL 130-150, Rock Shox Pearl 3.1

Submitted by Chris a Weekend Warrior from Mesa, Az, Usa

Date Reviewed: January 18, 2006

Strengths:    Good All around Bike. Takes alot of abuse. But i really can't say awhole lot cause i build mine from scratch to take the abuse.

Weaknesses:    On big drops the rear tire hits the tab on the back of the seat post.

Bottom Line:
This bike is a good all around bike.. I have riden many trails on it and it hasn't had any major issues. I do 10 foot drops and it is still solid..but i know one of these days the rear swing are will break, like they seem to do in most haros but hey till then just bomb off stuff.

Purchased At:   Friend