GT i-Drive 5 2.0 Freeride Full Suspension

• Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore LX
  • Rear Derailleur: Shimano new XT rapid rise

Submitted by AlexStunts.com a Weekend Warrior from sunol ca USA

Date Reviewed: December 28, 2010

Strengths:    components, climb,all around great bike

Weaknesses:    no lock out, weight which doesn't bother me much

Bottom Line:
I have been into motorcycles for the past 12 years and haven't purchased a mountain bike since 92 93 (trek 9000), they have come a long way, I love this bike and it does everything well. loves to climb and is a good descender, haven't really beat on it yet but so far its great for what I use it for. thinking about upgrading the rear shock and front also a little soft for me plus no lockout in the rear. Awsome bike for what I paid for it and was pretty much brand new.

Favorite Trail:   sunol/pleasanton Ridge

Purchased At:   private party

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by tritious a Cross Country Rider from slc, utah

Date Reviewed: May 20, 2010

Strengths:    This is my 3rd season on this bike and I still love it. I used to live in Bend and posted a review 2 yrs back. Salt Lake area has steeper trails than Bend so this bike gets to f#(*in hammer downhills more better and often; which it likes.

Weaknesses:    wt, fox vanilla r has no lockout

Bottom Line:
this bike was an awesome deal for $1350

Favorite Trail:   shoreline, wasatch crest, etc...

Purchased At:   harbor country

Similar Products Used:   kona dawg primo, trek fuel 8, yeti, specialized

Bike Setup:   factory except for, tires, cranks, grips, seat

Submitted by mtneertim a Cross Country Rider from Fort Walton Beach Fl USA

Date Reviewed: December 14, 2009

Strengths:    Price, components and ride.

Weaknesses:    Tioga tires

Bottom Line:
Love the feel and ride of this bike. Had issue with suspension side to side play, but upgraded free of charge by dealer. Can ride endlessly with this bike. I am 6' 3" and 210 pounds all components have worn well. Have put approx 3500 miles on bikes since purchase. Component mix is excellent for the price. Will upgrade crankset and replace freewheel and chain with Shimano XT this spring.

Favorite Trail:   OAK MOUNTAIN, ALABAMA

Purchased At:   LIQUIDTOR

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn DS 2 2001

Bike Setup:   Stock except for tires.

Submitted by skid_woo a Cross Country Rider from Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, UK

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2009

Strengths:    Rear suspension design, plush forks, seated climbing ability, rear end grip, ability to handle drops, stiff crank arms

Weaknesses:    Rear shock (prefer open and pro pedal settings like on RP23 to help with rough descents and climbs, also managed to break the shock by pushing it too hard so required substantial service), out of saddle climbs, bottom bracket, deore shifters, brakes, slightly 'washy' front end, cable rub, adjustable dropouts, tyres in british conditions, weight

Bottom Line:
Please note I have the 2006 orange bronze/orange coloured model and I purchased it for £600 GBP rather than USD.
This bike is a brilliant descender in a straight line. Point it straight through a rock garden or rooty section and it will plough straight through it. An upgraded rear shock with a more open feel will prevent the rear end getting bucked heavily upwards when the going gets really rough but its still easily controlled. The bikes ability to absorb drops up to about 4-5 ft is impressive as long as you carry speed. I belive a slightly shallower head angle would aid this bike's descending and cornering abilty at speed as it currently has a tendency to start washing out at the front wheel when really pushing it around a non-bermed corner but not enough to slow you down too much. The brakes are fine for moderate use and are good considering the price of the bike, but when used on fast downhill sections they overheat nicely and do lack control/modulation when used on steep scree slopes or rough, rooty sections.
The seated climbing ability of this bike can only be described as epic. It pedals beautifully for miles and miles under enduro conditions. However, the fun stops when you attempt to stand out of the saddle and 'power' it up an ascent. This is where the overly enthusiastic suspension design shoots itself in the foot and seems to be more like a trampoline than a bike (I weigh 152lbs or around 72kg so it can't be said I am too heavy for it). Another possible reason for upgraded shock?
For what this bike can do it is an absolute bargain, however don't expect to be able to push it too hard for too long or it will break :)

Favorite Trail:   Twrch Trail

Purchased At:   Leisure Lakes

Bike Setup:   Stock except for SLX cranks and bottom bracket, Specialized control tyre (front) for winter riding, Continental vertical tyre (rear), KS cobra 900i height adjustable seat post (non remote version)

Submitted by siscoOGpimp a Weekend Warrior from mission viejo

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2008

Strengths:    The fork on the bike is amazing. Floats over everything.

Weaknesses:    The Deore isnt to nice. Maybe I need to adjust it, but the shifting isn't to crisp.

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. I have never bottomed out and yet I have tried to do the hardest stuff to the bike.

Favorite Trail:   Rock-It

Purchased At:   Ebay

Bike Setup:   GT i-drive 5 2.0

Submitted by tritious a Cross Country Rider from Bend, Oregon

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2008

Strengths:    Everything on this bike is the shizzle, except for the Truvative crankset which I replaced w/an appropriate Saint from Jenson online.

Weaknesses:    No lockout feature on the Fox Vanilla R, weight

Bottom Line:
Second season with about 2,500 miles and I love it more every ride. Been riding a 20# hard-tail for 10 years, so I had to get stronger to get used to the extra weight, but the plush ride is totally worth it. The GT is very agile, responsive, has lots of travel, and can stop on a dime, which is good because she just wants to go faster. This bike would be comfortable on almost any terrain, anywhere.

Favorite Trail:   Here works

Purchased At:   Harbor Country

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Yeti, Santa Cruz, Specialized...

Bike Setup:   2006 I-Drive 5 2.0 factory specs

Submitted by PaulD a Weekend Warrior from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: August 25, 2007

Strengths:    Suspension Design, Parts Mix, Value for money

Weaknesses:    Rapid Rise(for me), Heavy, Cable Rub, External Bottom Bracket

Bottom Line:
This is the 2006 model in Gold as show on the GT website. This is my first Full Suspension bike after some time away from MTB. I've had a blast riding this bike the suspension design works well uphill and down. It's not a freeride bike more an enduro/all mountain I would say. The newest model has a bit more suspension travel. The component mix works well except for the Truvative external bearing crank which is creaky and as below prone to failure (read the BB review section). The Magura Julie on the rear lacked power when I got it so I had to play around with cleaning the rotor and bedding in the rear pads but it works fine now. I paid $1800-00 aussie at the liquidation sale and there are still plenty of these in shops around melbourne so don't pay any more than that. The Fox shocks are quality items and easy to setup and adjust although I probably need a firmer front spring.

Cables are rubbing on the seat tube quite badly however I'll probably scratch it worse crashing.

Only 4 overall as the crankset should have been better

Favorite Trail:   Still Lookin

Purchased At:   Importer Liquidation

Bike Setup:   Stock as a block 'cept for Shimano SPD

Submitted by Bill a Cross Country Rider from Easton, PA

Date Reviewed: July 18, 2007

Strengths:    Looks good, climbs great, not too heavy, idrive system is easy to overhaul, good brakes, good tires, locking grips, crisp clean shifting, fork is awesome

Weaknesses:    could have a better rear shock. fork could have an easier travel adjust

Bottom Line:
This review is for a 2007 iDrive 5 2.0 - I dont know why the descrip from mtbr says it has a vanilla r or shimano pedals or how the there can be reviews from 05... Anyways, I got this bike from the gt vendor at pedros fest last weekend really cheap. So my value rating is super high. I set up the cockpit dimensions as close to my older gt idrive as possible (lowered the stem and brought the seat back a bit). The handling and climbing is better than my girls superlight. On tight smooth switchbacks, it handles great, but be careful of the wide bars trying to squeeze between the trees. This is also in the freeride category here. I dont think its really suited for freeride, but more for all mountain or hardcore xc use. The 5.5 inches of rear travel is very smooth and there is no bob when climbing. I only said the weakness of the rear shock because I would of liked to see a propedal model on it. But to be honest, it doesnt really need it. It climbs that well. I took it out yesterday on some steep techincal ascents and decents at south mountain lehigh. The rear tire stuck like glue when climbing. The travel adjust on the bomber is a little stiff and takes a bit of effort to use (compared to the new fox 90 degree lever and rockshox uturn), but it does work well. I drop it down on the steep climbs and it keeps the front end down. Crank it back up for the descents and it soaks up everything. I couldnt bottom it out. The air is set to marzocchi settings for my weight (195). I like this fork better than the fox that comes on the idrive 1. It really is that good. The juicy 5's stopped me on a dime when needed but have good modulation. Zero fade. The big front rotor is nice. The idrive also uses 1 1/8 headset bearings and an allen key to get at them. eezy schmeezy.

Favorite Trail:   sals, sml, jordan, chimney rock, allamuchy

Purchased At:   Pedrosfest

Similar Products Used:   older idrive, trek fuel, santa cruz superlight,

Bike Setup:   float r w/rebound adjust, juicy 5 w/ frt 180mm rotor and 160mm rear, marzocchi sl600 air 90-130mm, dt swiss hubs, nevegal 2.3 front and 2.1 rear, truvativ stylo cranks, xt rear derailer

Submitted by Yasu Denda a Weekend Warrior from New Brunswick, NJ U.S.

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2007

Strengths:    Great parts spec for the price, I-Drive system is really great on the climbs, very capable descender.

Weaknesses:    Errr, this is my first "real" mountain bike (an old-school trek 930 all rigid was my last bike) so I don't have a huge bank of experience. However, I will still venture to say that I can't identify any major weaknesses. If you want me to be super nitpicky, I guess I could comment on the cable routing; there are multiple spots where the cables are rubbing paint off the frame.

Bottom Line:
I like this bike, especially for the price I paid for it. I use it for aggressive cross country (I go out of my way to hit jumps and drops), and I also do downhilling with this rig. Yes, yes, I definitely have the smallest bike on the downhill slopes, and there are many sections where more travel would be most helpful, but the bike holds its own. I'd obviously drop 3-5G on a more dh/freeride specific ride if I could, but I'm poor, and for now, this bike is serving me as my all purpose ride quite admirably. For the record, I have the '06 burnt orange model.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro

Bike Setup:   Stock except for new grips (ODI Rogues), new wheelset (Cane Creek Duros), new tires (Kenda Nevegal 2.35 on front WTB Motoraptor 2.25 on back), new pedals (Crank Bros Mallet), and new headset (Cane Creek ZS)

Submitted by Cyclopes a Weekend Warrior from Auckland, NZ

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2007

Strengths:    Generally sound design, good components.

Weaknesses:    Rapid rise. (now gone)

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up review.
Still a great, fun bike to ride.
I use this for general trail riding and the occasional 12/24 hour race or the od XC. It's not a race bike and the rider lets the bike down but it's still fun to ride.
Generally the components are good although the fork is underspung for my fat barstad weight.
For technical, down, or rooty rough trails, this bike is awesome.
This bike is no hand built dream machine but it gets the job done, and you have FUN.

Purchased At:   Cyclexpress

Similar Products Used:   GT id5 3.0, Ironhorse Warrior Pro, Yeti 575, Turner 5spot.

Bike Setup:   Still standard except for swapped out rapid rise for x9, change worn out grips to ODI, fitted Sram cassette and chain when old stuff wore out.

Submitted by Chris H a Cross Country Rider from Cary, NC

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2007

Strengths:    Float R shock, Magura's, XT rear der., Onyx Wheels, I-Drive system

Weaknesses:    Weight?? Maybe??, haven't found any yet-will update though. Def going to have to upgrade the fork to a RLC.

Bottom Line:
Amazing climber-I was reluctant at first with GT's I-drive system. However, it works-really well. The only downside is the linkages system-there are a lot of parts. Come time to overhaul-pain in the arse!! However it’s worth it-shouldn't be too hard to take care of a bike this responsive.

If you are a rider between 130-180lbs the fork is great for you-that range is perfectly accommodated by the stock spring rates set by the factory. However if you aren't in that range-beware, you will not be able to correct the sag, you may need to change out the springs.

The suspension is enough, for now-no complaints really, just not adjustable enough. But front and rear are great systems.

Kind of weary of the Truvativ stylo GXP cranks. They make noise-already after two rides. May need to change those out soon. I can't seem to get them tight.

Bottom line-out of the box, this bike is great. I weighed a GT I-Drive 4 2.0 with the 5 2.0, and the weight difference is minimal, at best. So really you're getting a better ride, with out sacrificing weight.

I am extremely satisfied with this bike, I was skeptical at first-but for the price this is hard to beat.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Road

Purchased At:   GT

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuel, Gary Fisher Sugar 1

Bike Setup:   Truvativ Stylo GXP cranks, XT rear, Magura Julies, Fox float R, Vanilla R, Bel Air SDG saddle

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Northern Utah

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2006

Strengths:    Sturdy, well built, handles great, climbs like a goat, smooth ride, comfortable.

Weaknesses:    The stock Tioga tires. Not so happy with the front dérailleur.

Bottom Line:
This is my first mountain bike and I am very happy with it. I was very nervous at first because I could find no reviews on the bike and GT seems to have had some P.R. problems in the past. Although beit problems with the company itself and not the actual bikes.

Being my first bike I have nothing to compare this bike with but I really enjoy riding this bike. It climbs very well and has a great smooth ride. I do not care much for the stock Tioga tires but they are OK. They do not shed mud very well. They rip on the downhills but as soon as you start heading back up you can feel them slowing you down. I do seem to be doing a lot of adjusting on the shifting (front and rear dérailleurs) but I hear thats normal for most bikes. Especially new ones.

I have done several races with this bike and it has performed very well for me. I will be racing it again next year too.

I have had very little maintenance issues with this bike. Most of what I have had is due to me being a newbie. I have been through a couple of front chain-rings due to extensive wear. Now that I have figured out how to shift more efficiently and properly I don't seem to be having that problem anymore. The first few month I owned the bike I felt a weird bouncing or quick shifting to the side then back in the rear of the bike. This may be flex in the rear triangle or brake jacking. Or it could have been something to do with the rear tire. I don't know. I never have got that figured out. It only happened while going fast, turning, and braking all at the same time. That has not happened for quite some time now.

Bottom line is that I really like this bike and would highly recommend it. Especially if you are new to mountain biking and are looking for a well built bike with good components at a respectable price. It may be a bit heavy but not so much. I'm happy with this bike.