GT Distortion 2.0 Freeride Full Suspension

Two years ago, Andrew Cho and TMC challenged us to make a free-ride rig that could be pedaled with the ease of an aggressive trail bike. They ask; we deliver. The most versatile gravity bike we make, the Distortion takes jumpable geometry, adds just enough travel to soften the blow, and puts it in a sleek, lightweight, easy to ride package. Some team riders call it a short travel Free-ride bike; others an East Coast free-ride bike. What it's called is irrelevant. The fact that it's just as comfortable at Crankworx as it is at Highland, & bombing jumps as it is to ripping lines - is.
  • Fork: RockShox Sektor Turn Key Coil, 140mm travel
  • Rear Shock: Fox Racing Shox Float RL, 112mm travel
  • Frame: Monocoque, 6061-T6 aluminum, 112 travel
  • Brakes: Formula RX, 180mm rotor

Submitted by Reelchef67

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2014

Strengths:    fast strong stable very low stand over great geometry I could go on and on

Weaknesses:    was not free:)

Bottom Line:
After a lot of reading and research I built up a 1.0 med frame from ebay that i bought.
Got it together no problem. Only problem is every time i ride it I can't get that stupid grin off my face. It climbs far better than my old 2006 idrive 5. Downhill it just begs to let it rip. Very comfy cockpit and stable in tight twisty trails. Perfect bike for North Shore riding here in vancouver.
Dreambike come true

- fantastic brakes
- clutch rear der
- fun on ANY trail
- great looks

Weaknesses:    - Weight (though it doesn't feel heavy when you're riding it)
- cranks are cheesy
- low bottom bracket is awesome, except for the pedal-strikes with the ground

Bottom Line:
I've worked at shops for 7+ years and ridden hundreds of bikes. This is hands down the funnest bike I've ever ridden. It's the absolute perfect bike for me. It corners like a great hardtail, but it's faster with the suspension design. It doesn't feel tall and it keeps the COG low. I don't feel like it's a small travel bike in back. If you've got a BMX, Slalom, DH, or freeride background, you've got to try one out. If you attack the trails, and live for flowy, jumpy, bermy, trails, this bike can't be beat. The suspension design seems to pick up speed over bumps, rather than slowing you down. The momentum you generate on this bike is insane.

If you're not an aggressive rider, you probably won't care for it. It feels like a low-slung dh bike that you can pedal uphill with all day. I am sad GT discontinued this model, because it's the greatest bike I"ve ever ridden.

I've made a few tweaks to mine to make it even better:
- saint cranks
- single front chainring with e13 chain guide
- Easton Havoc 35mm carbon bars (this bike LOVES wide bars)
- Easton Havoc 50mm 35 stem (50mm stem is even cooler)

Duration Product Used:   2+ years

Submitted by kiaorakid a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2012

Strengths:    Nice geometry - slack h/a etc, pedals well, stiff, burly chassis, great spec (Distortion 1.0)

Weaknesses:    Nothing of note

Bottom Line:
I've got a Distortion 1.0, and love it's ability as an all-round trail bike. Coming from downhill racing, I love the geometry of the GT and how the bike rides - esp when pointed down. I was worried that the limited travel would be an issue, but to be honest, (while it doesn't handle the rough chatter/rock gardens etc like my downhill bike) the suspension handles most things surprisingly well - and it pedals great!

I don't really have any negative comments to make to be honest. It's not the lightest bike around (mine weighs in at around 31 pounds), and you have to keep the linkage well lubed, otherwise the dreaded i-Drive creak will appear. But other than those minor complaints, it's one of the most fun bikes I've ever owned.

If you're looking for an all-round bike with a leaning towards downhill - but something that still pedals well, this is a great choice. It's super responsive, jumps well and is perfect for Super D, enduro's etc - and perfect for hammering the trails.

Favorite Trail:   Rotorua's Redwoods, Queenstown