Giant VT 1 Freeride Full Suspension

4.71/5 (86 Reviews)

Submitted by splatgraphics a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2013

Strengths:    Lasts a life time .. or at least it has felt like it.
Cant be built up light *27#'* but strong enough for most blues in Whistler BC.

Weaknesses:    They no longer make this. The tech for the shock was sold and is now under the name *Knuckle Box* but still not as good as this.

Bottom Line:
This bike was bought 2004, it's now the fall of 2013, I have replaced EVERYTHING on this and have built it up as best as sanity will allow me to afford.
2012 Crossmax ST wheel set
XT drive train and breaks
Thompson Seat, stem and handlebar
Fox 2011 Talas fork and 2012 Float RP23 shock
2.5" Nevegal tyres

SOLID ride and has flown with me on every trip. i put about 1000 KM of dirt under this bike a year.
Sadly it is getting to be 10 years and will be used for "less active" rides when I look at something newer next spring... maybe..

Favorite Trail:   any with dirt, Whistler BC

Fox 2011 Talas fork and 2012 Float RP23 shock
2.5" Nevegal tyres

Submitted by ozzie a Downhiller

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2013

Strengths:    LEGENDARY cheap, awesome, tough, awesome...

Weaknesses:    eh... no...

Bottom Line:
:D

Submitted by dimitrin a Weekend Warrior from ATX

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2011

Strengths:    Geometry, travel, weight, durability, does it all, the bike makes me a good rider

Weaknesses:    No longer made

Bottom Line:
Haha...I love this bike!!
All the recent trail/all mountain bikes use this bikes geometry! With the wheels, tires, seat post and suspension upgrades this old bike smokes the competition, a true do it all bike that keeps me grinning from ear to ear. If you find a clean one, buy it!

Favorite Trail:   shhh

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   pivot mach 5.7

Bike Setup:   2003 VT1, WTB weirwolf lt 2.55 team FR front and back...tubeless, rockshox Monarch RT3 shock, Rockshox Revelation Team U-turn fork, I9 wheelset with Mavic 819 hoops, Hayes 9 brakes, 180mm front, 160mm rear, Forte' carve spd pedals, All mountain dropper seat post.

Submitted by dimitrin a Weekend Warrior from ATX

Date Reviewed: April 29, 2011

Weaknesses:    No longer made

Bottom Line:
Haha...I love this bike!!

Favorite Trail:   can't tell

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   pivot mach 5.7

Submitted by maddog7 a Weekend Warrior from Whitley Bay, Tyne and Wear

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2010

Strengths:    Incredibly durable, Great geometry, Unusual looks, Great for humpin' brand snobs tho I have nothing against brands snobs, In fact I am one! Much better than I am at everything!

Weaknesses:    Wank paint as mentioned in other reviews, the logo on the head tube corrodes, bearings susceptible to corrosion. No lock out on the shock.

Bottom Line:
I was wondering what/if to replace this with and thought about a Blur LT but doubt it would be any better since the VT is already much better than I am. I really love it to bits and feel it owes me nothing especially since I got it brand new for 240 quid with the shock! Massive talent is the only thing that makes a (very few) of my friends any better than me on the mountain despite some of them having much more expensive bikes.
In fact F"(K it Nick, I think I'll keep it!
Awesome

Favorite Trail:   Innerleithen

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Stumpy FSR.

Bike Setup:   Easton carbon bars with Easton stem to suit, XTR rapidfire shifters with XTR front and rear mechs. Thomson seatpost, specialized saddle, FSA afterburner crankset and expedo mountain force pedals, Avid Juicy 7 203mm brakes, Mavic 717 rims with Swiss spokes on Hope XC pro II hubs, XT cassette. Panaracer Fire XC pro tyres.

Submitted by dangmtb a Weekend Warrior from Northridge, CA

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2010

Strengths:    versatile, fast, lots of travel

Weaknesses:    squeaky rear suspension pivot point, a little on the heavy side

Bottom Line:
Climbs ok, bombs hills and single track sooooo well. This bike is so much fun and gets through sticky situations with ease. The 6.5 inches of travel leaves you with lots to work with and take off drops and boulders and such. I love this thing

Purchased At:   from a friend

Similar Products Used:   GT i-drive 5.0 (not really similar but this is only my second F/S)

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla 32, Fox DHX 5.0, XT drivetrain, RaceFace Prodigy XC crank, Panaracer Fire XC's, Crank Brothers Mallet pedals

Submitted by rob a Cross Country Rider from oak hill,florida

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2008

Strengths:    Good looking and durable,Fairly low maintenance for full suspension

Weaknesses:    Prone to corrosion from humidity and sweat in the suspension pivot area below the saddle

Bottom Line:
An awesome set-up for anything you may want to use it for,unless of course you are a weight weenie,just change the tires for use on the road,I use kenda kwest high pressure semi slicks,and have put about 12,000 miles on this bike using it to commute 33 miles to and from work for a good 3 years,and the occasional insane air antics when I go a bit crazy.I never have to slow down for anything...
Aside from the shock problems,and the fairly minor corrosion problems which cannot be avoided,it has served me flawlessly for about three years of constant use in all weather and terrain conditions.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   None,my first F/S bicycle

Bike Setup:   Halo SAS-w-spin doctor hubs,Grimeca system 8 disk brakes,magura mid-ego fork,rock shox custom deluxe-manitou swinger 3-way,and x-fusion 02-RC shock,swinger and rock shox blew up,x-fusion seems to be the ticket...SRAM X-7 der and shifters

Submitted by Ted a Weekend Warrior from Castle Rock, C.O., usa

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2007

Strengths:    It can handle anything I throw at it

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
This bike has impressed me from day one. I purchased the frame new on-line and built the bike up. This bike does everything well and is a riot to ride. I have never felt a bike that is as balanced as the VT. It climbs well and the rear tire sticks over the nastiest rocks and roots. It loves to go down-hill, the faster the better and rips through the tight stuff as well. I have done some 4 or 5 foot drops and the bike does not flinch(keep in mind i'm a skinny fella at a whopping 155lbs.) This is my fifth mountain bike in the last in my last 16 years of riding and it is by far the most fun. It may not be as flashy as some of the other customs out there but I wouldn't trade it after throwing a leg over it. I have the bike weighing in at right about 28lbs and it rides lighter than my old 23 XC rig. This is the first stable platform that I have ridden for any amount of time and it is fantastic. Just stay seated and spin. The only thing that I had to get used to was staying seated over rougher terrain. You can flow over most everything and I think that is why even though this bike is heavier I end up less fatigued and can ride farther. If you are looking for a good all around bike that will make everything you ride more fun go for the VT. If all you want to do is the park or race look elsewhere.

Favorite Trail:   I love em all

Purchased At:   Bobs bicycle

Similar Products Used:   Tested a lot before going to Giant

Bike Setup:   Sram x.0 build kit, hayes carbon discs, Manitou nixon platinum fork, WTB dual duty wheels, easton monkey light bars, fsa stem, U.S.E. alien seat post. Race face cranks and b.b.

Submitted by Robert Schumacher a Cross Country Rider from Oak Hill FL USA

Date Reviewed: January 6, 2007

Strengths:    Medium weight but not quite heavy

Weaknesses:    Medium weight but nearly heavy

Bottom Line:
I have had absolutely no prob with this bike aside from weight,but I built it for durability...,I weight 220# and have never bottomed it out,it didn't even bottom out when I landed so hard I bent the STEEL bars I was using,Bent em bad,Handling is a bit topsy,but 6" travel will explain that away,I ride really fast on all kinds of terrain,and have never really crashed it hard because of the good handling characteristics and suspension to absorb my flub-ups.
I have not had the opportunity to use the bike for much serious trail riding,but with some lighter components it would kick azz I am sure.
I ride 30 to 70 miles,five days a week,and even though it is a veritable TANK,I still get by...In short,this is one of the best bikes I have ever had the opportunity to use.I would recommend it to anyone who needs a trouble free,beatable steed,not so much for cross country because of the weight of the thing,but anything else,freeride,up to mid-level downhill or hucking,but one thing no bike makes up for is lack-of-finesse or lack of skill and common sense,or lack of maintenance....
Take care of it,and it will take care of you.

Favorite Trail:   any at kettle morrain st.forest WI

Similar Products Used:   haro 8.1,Cadex CFM 2,

Bike Setup:   Giant VT1 18.5"Risse Trixxy 6"trvl fork 20mm thru axle,or Magura Mid-Ego 5.8"trvl 20mm thru axle(huge heavy indestructible) fork...,Manitou 3way rr shk,sram X7 r-der-shftrs F/R,shimano frt der-btm pull-upswing,grimeca system 8 f&r,Halo SAS rims 36f/48r,-w-halo spindoc hubs,or Halo Tornado 32F/36R w-Halo spindoc hubs,kenda karma 30-80psi,small block eight 30-80psi or Kend Kwest 100psi slicks

Submitted by pat bell a Weekend Warrior from The peak district, England

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2006

Strengths:    Superb all rounder, rides well even on long road ascents, descends better than me. Was hevily discounted as no longer produced

Weaknesses:    A bit unpredictable on steep technical descents unless u drop seat

Bottom Line:
Replaced manitou minutes early on as didnt seem to be able to cope with plush rear end. Hutchinson tyres good in dry and fast but rubbish in wet. Probably best bike I have ever ridden, keeps up with friends Whyte 46

Favorite Trail:   A local bandit run

Purchased At:   buxton

Similar Products Used:   Marin rift zone, Club Roost XC4, lots of hardtails

Bike Setup:   Pace rc40 fighter forks and few carbon bits but otherwise standard

Submitted by Euan Carr a Cross Country Rider from Chelmsford

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2006

Strengths:    versatile, solid, cheap for what it is

Weaknesses:    can't think of many

Bottom Line:
Got the shock & spv all set up, and this flies along now. I've even taken it racing where it's performed respectably. It does bob a little bit if you get out of the saddle, but most of the time its pretty solid, and I'm about 100kg and not too delicate.

What you lose in carrying the extra weight you gain in carrying more speed through dips and over rough stuff than you can on a hardtail.

Much as I love my old GT, it isn't getting ridden much any more.

If you can get one of these cheap (which you probably can 'cos its a Giant rather than a boutique make or an FSR) go for it

Favorite Trail:   snail trails

Similar Products Used:   see below

Bike Setup:   as below

Submitted by Sy Holmes a Cross Country Rider from Berkeley Vale, NSW,Australia

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2006

Strengths:    cockpit setup, running gear, reliability

Weaknesses:    Tyres wear out too soon ( 2 weeks) Put geax tubless 2.1's on and ran perfect still going hard

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks, hard pressed to find a better bike geared up like a Giant. Recommended to anyone whether beginner looking 4 value 4 money or the experienced Rider.

Favorite Trail:   Orimbah long Circuit

Purchased At:   Central Coast Cycles

Similar Products Used:   teacali, xtc1,

Bike Setup:   All standard except tyres

Submitted by Tom Evans a Weekend Warrior from Cardiff

Date Reviewed: May 9, 2006

Strengths:    Gives you lots of confidence, great versatility if set up correctly.

Weaknesses:    Thinking of changing the rear shock from air to coil.. guess this is not really a weakness more a preference!

Bottom Line:
Fun, fun, fun! This is my second bike and the thing that stands out the most for me is its versatility. If set up correctly this bike flys along and gives lots of confidence to the rider. I have used it for just over a year on and off and enjoy ridiing it as much as my Turner.

Favorite Trail:   afan

Similar Products Used:   Turner 5 spot, Specialized Epic

Bike Setup:   Stock apart from hope brakes

Submitted by Euan Carr a Cross Country Rider from Chelmsford

Date Reviewed: April 3, 2006

Bottom Line:
Recently built this up from bits & bobs. Original idea was to build up a chunkier bike to take more abuse than my HT bike, but this has built up weighing about the same after going for top notch components wherever possible.

I've only been out for a couple of sessions messing round in the current slime on my own. I don't think I've fully bedded in or set up the shocks to get the most out of the bike yet, but all seems pretty good so far.

Felt fine for general trail riding and absolutely nails any DH. I found myself hurtling down steeper routes I usually take fairly steady on a HT, but feeling much more stable.

There was some bobbing and I felt the extra effort involved in getting it up hills, but think I had the shock & SPV set way to low initially. I borrowed a new FSR Pro recently which was probably better for platform stability, but not as plush or confidence inspiring on the descents or over roots & bumps. RRP on the FRSe is over £3000 though, and it didn't weigh any less!

I'll report back (maybe) when I've got it dialed in more and have:
1) compared it against my HT over some laps and
2) seen how I keep up with the boys on a fast 2 hour ride.

Until then I'll be sneaking out to hammer down rutted paths and jump ditches with a big grin on my face whenever the opportunity arises.

5* for value because I managed to build this up to decent FS bike with fancy bits on for well under £1000.

Overall rating is 4* so far. When & if I get the shock dialled in more, I'd hope to re-adjust this score upwards

Favorite Trail:   Lingwood Common

Purchased At:   built up

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar with thudbuster & 80mm Duke Race forks (other bike)
Specialised FRS Pro (demo'ed)

Bike Setup:   Manitou Minute 3's, Magura Marta brakes, XTR drivetrain, carbon bits & bobs

Submitted by Gareth Sheppard a Weekend Warrior from Reading

Date Reviewed: December 31, 2005

Strengths:    Inspiring to ride down rocky descents. Rear travel eats up everything i can ride and gives you great confidence to push it that little bit further. Climbs well on technical ascents. Struggles on fire road, but who wants to ride up that any way.

Weaknesses:    Bob! If you set up the bike to get the most from the shock on the descent it feels it wallows through the travel when climbing or as soon as you get out of the saddle. On less technical climbs this bike feels like hard work to get to the top. Top tube on the medium is a little short for me personally even though i am only 5ft 10, but I have quite a long upper body!

Bottom Line:
Overall this is a great bike for the man made trails of cwmcarn and afan or for somewhere like the Alps. However if your riding is more mixed than that you need a different bike, hence me just getting a s-works hard tail.

Favorite Trail:   cwmcarn