Diamondback XTS Freeride Full Suspension

4.16/5 (19 Reviews)

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from SLC

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2011

Strengths:    Great stock components the frame is super strong. The rear suspension on mine (RockShox Deluxe) is amazing! I got a killer deal on it.

Weaknesses:    In my opinion the frame is a little unattractive, but the riding is great! I would also say that the handle grips, and bars are a little bit awkward for me, it just doesn't seem like everything is in the right place. Who knows maybe I just need to adjust some things.

Bottom Line:
Great bike if you're looking to buy it's a great purchase

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine Rim

Submitted by RJM a Weekend Warrior from Lake Charles

Date Reviewed: May 21, 2009

Strengths:    Plush travel, strong frame.

Weaknesses:    Terrible Narrow rims given 2.4 tires with it. Quality of rims bad (WTB) on my 2001 XTS 3

Bottom Line:
Great bang for buck. Plush travel, wish I had stronger springs (sag would probably be little less and closer to optimal) on fork and rear as I weigh 210, but I don't huck but do ride hard, so this has been a fantastic trail bike. I'd buy high end Diamondback again, for sure.....they get nicer and nicer every year (of course the are closing the gap price wise with the boutique brands....)

Favorite Trail:   Lincoln Parish

Purchased At:   Action Bikes, San An

Similar Products Used:   Redline Dually

Bike Setup:   Stock, replaced rims with Sun Single Tracks, Azonic DH bars, TransX stem.

Submitted by huni313 a Weekend Warrior from ca

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2008

Strengths:    this bike is sick! it can resist all the bumps and jumps. the frame is really strong.

Weaknesses:    the brakes are kind of cheap. when you use it for like a year, it brakes down.

Bottom Line:
this bike is the bike you can depend. diamond is kind of a crappy company, but you can depend on their freeride/downhill bikes!!

Favorite Trail:   north star

Similar Products Used:   giant glory, specilazied enduro

Bike Setup:   Jr.T bomber fork, manitou metal shock, x-7 derailur, hayes 9 disk brakes mrp bomb proof bash guard, edge instense tires

Submitted by Evomanarron a Downhiller from New zealand

Date Reviewed: July 9, 2008

Strengths:    good front shocks. great hayes 9 brakes

Weaknesses:    easy to bottomout rear shock.

Bottom Line:
good begainning bike good value for money

Favorite Trail:   Redwoods

Purchased At:   R and R

Similar Products Used:   Specaillized big hit 2, jamis diablo, demo 9

Submitted by Kyle Grawehr a Downhiller from Denville, NJ, USA

Date Reviewed: February 26, 2007

Strengths:    sturdy frame, good suspension, very quick, brake system is great

Weaknesses:    rear derialler broke twice(within the same week) rear wheel jumps around when going over quick bumps and the fork clicks when climbing. but other than that its great

Bottom Line:
very sweet bike

Favorite Trail:   Moutian Creek

Purchased At:   Dicks Sporting Goods

Similar Products Used:   N/A

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Doug Espinosa a Downhiller from Camas,WA

Date Reviewed: January 19, 2007

Strengths:    The bike has a very Beefey frame. the suspension it great it can take over 5 feet to flat without bottoming out.thats all i have done so far. i have only had it for about 2 weeks. rear shock has nice adjustments. great crancks and handle bars. Very nice brakes. tires and wheelset has very good traction and has great traction.

Weaknesses:    no chain tensioner=floppy chain. the seatpost is to high, but that is an easy adjustment. loose grips. but that is probally my fault

Bottom Line:
this is a sick bike for tyhe money. it only cost me 1 grand. can take the big hits. easy to pedal. Plush suspension. it is also not to heavy. and if people give you crap about buying it from gi joes or that its a diamondback tell them to go be a fred. GO BUY IT IS A VERY AWESOME BIKE.!!! STRAIGHT UP

Favorite Trail:   Leadbetter

Purchased At:   G.I. Joe's

Similar Products Used:   2006 kona stinky 2006 specialized big hit fsr

Bike Setup:   STOCK!!!

Submitted by andy myers a Weekend Warrior from spokane

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2006

Strengths:    strong frame, point and shoot and let the suspension do the rest

Bottom Line:
bad ass bike cant beat it for the price. suspension kicks ass. rides like a dream. if you want excellent quality for a good price this is your bike. reccomend for all who want step up thier game and ride like a champ.

Favorite Trail:   still looking

Purchased At:   north division cycles

Similar Products Used:   haro ex1

Bike Setup:   junior t fork, julie hyd disc 8" front 6" rear disc the rest is stock

Submitted by zach aguilar a Downhiller from spokane

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2006

Strengths:    frame is very sturdy, braking system is stong, and i like the rear suspension

Weaknesses:    rear tire jumps around,and the three ring sprockets with no chain gaurd lets the chain go where ever

Bottom Line:
wont take much over five feet

Favorite Trail:   beacon

Purchased At:   wheel sport

Similar Products Used:   cannondale lefty specialized demo pro

Bike Setup:   all stock so far

Submitted by chris james a Downhiller from spokane wa

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2006

Strengths:    great value, good stock brakes

Weaknesses:    fork sucks for drops bigger than about 5 feet, seat is too high for real freeriding, stupid adapters for 10mm frame dropouts makes the back wheel move aound

Bottom Line:
its a good starter freeride bike, but once you start to do some jumping and drops you realize the suspension equiped is limited and you will bottom out routinely. Too heavy for a real trail bike. This frame is pretty badass but with a better fork and chainguid this bike would be pretty rad

Favorite Trail:   beacon

Purchased At:   scott's cycle and sport

Bike Setup:   switched to single ring with bashguard and chain guide (a must), ride with seat post cut short as possible, 8" rotor on back,

Submitted by kel patrick a Downhiller from noosaville qld australia

Date Reviewed: August 9, 2005

Strengths:    This bike is a weapon just point shoot and hold on. my bike is the 2005 model the standard of gear is a fair bit better than previous models ie shocks f + b wave roters single track rims and the frame is a bit more chunkey cant beat this bike for the money @ $1750 aus just buy one u wont be dissapointed

Weaknesses:    apart from the $hit my mates gave me for riding a diamond back til i smoked them ,I had a little trouble with the rear derailer due to bushes in the rear linkage having worn out,my fault for not noticeng sooner, but apart from that not a thing

Bottom Line:
if money is an object ride one and u will buy 1

Favorite Trail:   two many

Purchased At:   airlie bargain centre noosa outlook

Similar Products Used:   diamond back bsx pro norco sasquach giant big hit spec haro x2

Bike Setup:   stock apart from front dh chain ring and chain guide

Submitted by BikeCzar a Downhiller from Woodstock, VA

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2005

Strengths:    Frame is burly but not too heavy, nice and long for the craziness, pretty decent fork and shocks, adjustable shackle, good components for the most part.

Weaknesses:    LX drivetrain, no bash guard or tensioner (you will throw the chain in the rough stuff), seat post height is a compromise, I leave mine to XC levels for the most part, may get a second post/seat combo for pure DH.

Bottom Line:
Mine was an '03 leftover, so I get it on the cheap ($995US) and I don't regret it at all. This is a great FR bike for someone that also goes up hills, I didn't like the triple chainring up front, but I'm actually warming up to it now. It climbs great if you stay in the saddle, and sprints aren't too bad with the bob, but it ain't an XC bike for sure. Don't buy it to race, buy it to ride.

Favorite Trail:   Powell Mtn.

Purchased At:   Mark's Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky

Bike Setup:   Stock for right now

Submitted by Battle Cruiser a Racer from Austin, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2005

Strengths:    Long frame length fits me well. I like the Marzocchi fork. The fork is air adjustable (schrader valves) and easily tuned to your weight and riding style. Overall it feels strong and stiff. Hayes hydralic disks are great. I like the shift levers.

Weaknesses:    The frame design places the seat too high for free riding. I cut the the seat post short and dropped the seat down to the clamp and the seat is still 4-6" too high. The wheel set is crap, low quality hubs don't fit the dropouts and the rims are too skinny. The two inside chainrings are too small to be useful - single ring and bash guard would be a better choice.

Bottom Line:
Mine is a large frame (I'm 6'3", 240lbs). Overall sharp looking bike, excellent fork, exellent disk brakes, lame rear shock (one of the air models would have been better). The rear shock is adjustable from too much dampening to way too much dampening. The shift levers feel good but the derailer needs stronger springs and even a little dirt screws up the shifting. Bumps or washboard will easily throw off the chain.

I have an agressive riding style and rarely ever sit down. Ths seat on this bike is too high and is always in my way. The bike can handle jumps and 4' drops but the seat thing is really distracting. The wheelset is a big disapointment. The axles are 9mm which move around and chew up the 10mm dropouts. You can't get the QR skewer tight enough to prevent the movement. I'm not a big fan of QR hardware, bolt-on axles would be a much better choice for this type of bike. I would have prefered sealed cartridge bearings instead of the cheap cup-and-cone style. And I hate skinny rims!!

For the price it is a good value but needs some work.

Favorite Trail:   Freeride, BMX Track

Similar Products Used:   BMX cruisers, Gack TrailMod

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Remington Murphy a Weekend Warrior from Richland, Washington, USA

Date Reviewed: November 24, 2004

Strengths:    Great frame and forks

Weaknesses:    EVERYTHING THAT CAN BREAK HAS and its a wee old. chain/brake handle lever bot snaped/front derailer broke

Bottom Line:
good but cheaply made

Favorite Trail:   Acme

Purchased At:   Scott's Cycle

Similar Products Used:   BMX bike

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by fatcat a Weekend Warrior from los angeles, california USA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2004

Strengths:    rolls over mostly anything on the trail, can be ridden uphill for a 40lb bike, lots of travel for cheap, the dual crown Marzocchi 155 mm air fork is plush

Weaknesses:    the Marzocchi fork makes clicking annoying noises while climbing, its a interrupted seat tube frame.

Bottom Line:
pedals uphill better than my Bullit used to (perhaps the Pro Pedal Fox?)--its a real cheap way to go big--6.5" rear travel and 6" up front, costs just as much as a 2004 Stinky
but gives you a bit more better parts and 1/2" more rear suspension.

I believe its a pound or two lighter than a Stinky as well. Trade in or resale will suck though. Its like buying a Saturn vs a Honda Accord--both are great cars mechanically but the trade in on the Honda will be better.
I rate this as one of the best big hit bikes on the market.
Check out the specs and try one out or ordre one if your dealer doesnt have on in stock--its well worth it.

Similar Products Used:   04 Kona Stinky, 02 Santa Cruz Bullit

Bike Setup:   took off big chain ring and put a Hussefelt bash ring on it
and put short bar ends on it (looks retarded but when climbing I reach for them) changed wheels to wider Sun Rhyno Lite Disks, cut an inch off each end of the stupidly long Hussefelt handlebar (the new nice 31.8 ones)

Submitted by ernie from la crescenta, california

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2004

Strengths:    easy to pedal uphill for a bike that's almost 40 lbs,
the Marzocchi dual crown air is light and has 6" of travel, and this bike goes over good sized rocks with no problem. The Fox Vanilla R Pro Pedal seems to be doing its job as there is little rear bob.

Weaknesses:    Who decided to put a big chain ring on this thing?

Bottom Line:
Its a great value with Hayes brakes, 6" DropOff Air, Truvativ Hussefelt junk and the Pro Pedal rear shock.

I was going to buy another (I sold my old one) Santa Cruz Bullit but with a few hundred extra, I bought a whole bike instead of just a frame. Good thing I went cheap.

Many others have posted about the pedaling for such a heavy bike and they are correct--it pedals uphill. In fact,
I went up a pretty steep fireroad today with it. I also went on a little rocky singletrack and was smooth sailing.
I did get cocky and it bronco'd me off while going
too fast down a sandy singletrack.

I recommend this bike for both novice and experienced riders, since you get a little of both worlds---good solid parts and frame with a nice pricetag. The only thing that
sucks are the LX parts, but on a bike like this, you'll end up snapping the rear deraileur off and breaking the shifters within a year anyway.

Last year's parts on this frame were wimpy so I guess
the company decided to really upgrade a few parts and with the exception of the shifters, its good stuff all around. Last year's Psylo compared to this Marzocchi is a joke.

Purchased At:   bicycle station