Devinci 8-Flat-8 Freeride Full Suspension

4.59/5 (17 Reviews)

Submitted by ozzie

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2013

Strengths:    Absolute TANK... nuff said...

Weaknesses:    As heavy as a TANK... nuff said

Bottom Line:
NIZE BIKE! Great intro to DH, but don't expect to get too loose on the trail because of the weight!!!!

Submitted by AAAustin a Downhiller from kelowna

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2011

Strengths:    this is the best bike ever sooooooooooooo plush it feels bottomless the fork is amazing the rear suspension is beast the frame design is sick

Weaknesses:    derailure

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is this bike is top of the line...
once you change the derailure and and put a white e-13 bash gaurd grips and seat

Favorite Trail:   the second one on the right

Purchased At:   cactus bikes

Similar Products Used:   none.......... nothing compares.......... exept for the wilson 4

Bike Setup:   im rockin the marzocchi 888 8.9 inches of travel and the fox dhx

Submitted by xieper a Downhiller from Devon UK

Date Reviewed: August 11, 2009

Strengths:    It's still working fine and hasn't broken after 5 years of abuse!

Weaknesses:    Grub screws holding main pivots in place. It needs something more substantial to maintain a good grip. Plus the 3mm allen key head on the grub screws is much to small to apply the required torque.

Bottom Line:
Has outlasted ALL of my freinds bikes...
2x 224
2x V10
RMX

The bottom line.. heavy but 'ARD!

Favorite Trail:   Gawton trails

Purchased At:   Freebourn

Similar Products Used:   Nothing yet, this is my STILL my first DH bike (as it set up more for DH now)

Bike Setup:   08 888WC
07 DHX 5 shock
Formula The 1 brakes
Syncros rims
Syncros front hub
Nukeproof rear hub (Cheap but very good!)
Diablous cranks
Syncros Mental pedals
Sunline bolt-on stem
etc

Submitted by Nathan Sowle a Racer from Reno, NV

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2007

Strengths:    Burly Tubes, Strong Lateral Stiffness

Weaknesses:    The original bike build

Bottom Line:
When I first got the bike it was very heavy, the fork bottomed out off of everything, and the Metel rear shock was just a heavy coil. After I put the new parts on the bike lightened up dramaticly and rode very dreamy. Its cornering is very precise due to the very stiff tubing, the pivot means for smooth swing arm movement, and it can take alot of punishment. Ive been to Northstar everyday this summer and have had no problems. The bottom Bracket height is very tall but that saved me mulitple times. The 8 inch setting is a little squishy for me, but the 7 inch setting stiffens out the rear shock and makes it good for racing.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   From a friend

Similar Products Used:   Rocky Mountain RMX, Santa Cruz V-10, Intense M3, Commencal Supreme DH, Iron Horse Sunday

Bike Setup:   Fox 40 RC, DHX 5.0, Formula Bianco Brakes, DT-Swiss FR-2350 Wheels, Kenda Blue Groove 2.5 Tire, Saint Cranks, Saint Rear Deraileur, E-Thirteen Chain Guide, LX shifters

Submitted by clayton perron a Downhiller from edmonton

Date Reviewed: September 13, 2006

Strengths:    strong frame and rims nice fork cant use all the travel on the forks yet

Weaknesses:    the rear shock sucks the metel rp bottoms out way to easy go off five foot drop and it bottoms out and i am only 130 pounds. Very Very heavy bike you can do some dirt jumps butt not big gaps.

Bottom Line:
the bike is strong butt is not good for freeride or big hit. Suspense is good for dirt jump butt need less weight can do some tricks butt frame is to big for no foot cane cane nice bike to do no footers and one footers. super nice on down hill caurse super fast and smouth. nice travel. rear shock sucks need to put new one in

Favorite Trail:   b line

Purchased At:   bike cafe

Bike Setup:   stoke

Submitted by Hyde a Downhiller from Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2006

Strengths:    Really tough bike. I've put a lot of abuse on this bike in the last 6 months, and you can barely tell. The fork has saved my behind more than a few times. I love taking it down the mountain.

Weaknesses:    The chain smacks the rear frame. I needed to put protection on that area so that it wouldn't damage the frame. The bike is a bit of a pain to pedal uphill, due to it weighing 50lbs stock.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up from my initial review. This bike has held up really well. I bought a 2005, which has a warranty of a year. I was disappointed to find out that the 2006s are now guaranteed for life. Good for everyone else though. This bike gives you a sense of being able to conquer anything. For me it holds up really well on spectacular launches especially when they end up in spectacular crashes. Don't listen to the sandbagger below.

Purchased At:   Guy's Bicycle Shop, NY

Similar Products Used:   Yakuza, KHS DH, Stinky

Bike Setup:   Stock, except for DH tubes

Submitted by jaK a Downhiller from DKLDF

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    NOTHIN

Weaknesses:    EVERITHIN

Bottom Line:
CRAP

Purchased At:   JT MOTO

Submitted by Hyde a Downhiller from Hartford, CT

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    Bomb Proof. Looks Great. Love the Travel. Even though the equipment on the frame is not as good as the upgraded version, the Ollie, I think it will satisfy my needs.

Weaknesses:    The weight, when I brought mine home it weighed in at 49.5 lbs, it is not fun to pedal up hill, but lets face it, I didn't buy it to climb hills, I bought it to go down mountains. The Marzocchi 888VF is not externally adjustable, but it hasn't bottomed out yet. The frame (I have a large) may feel small.

Bottom Line:
Being 200lbs in full gear, and standing 6'1", going off of jumps this thing is SOLID. Even though it Pedals like a Tank, it is as tough as one. Buy one!

Purchased At:   Guy's Bicycle Shop, NY

Similar Products Used:   Yakuza, KHS DH, Stinky

Bike Setup:   Stock (See Devinci website)

Submitted by Simon Ashby a Downhiller from Devon, England

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2005

Weaknesses:    Update on previous review:
Since I placed the previous review, the bolt holding the two halves of the main pivot together has snapped. On contacting Freeborn I was told that they have had a number of instaces of this happening. Since they already knew about this happening, they were very forthcoming with a replacement pivot (good service). They also told me that Devinci originally used a grade 8 steel bolt in the main pivot, and that the replacement one will be grade 10. According to Freeborn, this is NOT a weekness, but since it broke under fairly normal usage, (I'm not THAT much of a nutter), and has happend to other people, I think I'll have to disagree.

Bottom Line:
Since this is a small problem and the part was replaced quickly, as long as the new pivot doesn't break I am still more than happy with the bike, its manufacturer and its destributor (since the performance of all three contribute to a satisfactory purchase).

Favorite Trail:   A quarry in Tavistock

Purchased At:   Freeborn

Submitted by Simon a Downhiller from Devon, England

Date Reviewed: January 13, 2005

Strengths:    Brilliantly overbuilt. Rear linkage bearings have rediculous load capacities. Looks great. Excellent spec. Easy to clean. Nice feature of being able to lock all the main pivot bolts using grub screws. Perfect workmanship.

Weaknesses:    I found the rear shock was overdamped, even in the fastest setting.
JrT's are OK, but only for a while. I now have 888r's... much better, now it is a true 8" Flat 8".
Standard Wildgripper tyres and bar grips are DIABOLICAL, especially the tyres. Swaped them for Minions and Odi lockons IMMIDIATELY (after 1 hours ride).
Bolts for ICGS mount on chain device were missing on delivery and are a non standard head size, so I had to drill out the holes on the chain device to fit a standard bolt.

Bottom Line:
Perfect bike for hucking and downhilling, if a little on the heavy side. But thats the price for strength!
I was going to go for the Ollie, but this only came with the non-adjustable 888rt forks, so I thought I would get the 8-Flat-8 with its JrT's, and upgrade them later (as I have, with the fully adjustable 888R's). Also I prefered the look of the 8 flat 8.

Favorite Trail:   A quarry in Tavistoc

Purchased At:   Freeborn

Similar Products Used:   B17(x4 breakable but great), 02 Switch, 03 Switch Ltd, 03 Orange 7+, RMX, Big Hit

Bike Setup:   Standard + Marzocchi 888R forks, Maxxis Minion tyres, Odi Ruffian grips.

Submitted by jhonny from usa

Date Reviewed: November 23, 2004

Strengths:    The frame is solid and very plush. It handels like it is 10 pounds lighter and allows you to push your limit, as it inspires great confidence.

Weaknesses:    You would like to swich the Jr.T to something more tunable, but it gets the job done.

Bottom Line:
This bike opens new fields. It is very burly and responsive.

Similar Products Used:   yeti as-x, specialized big-hit, giant warp

Submitted by Oli da Costa a Weekend Warrior from London, UK

Date Reviewed: August 23, 2004

Strengths:    Indestructable! I was originally going to go for the Ollie, but on seeing the two side by side, I realised there wasn't much in it and plumped for the 8-F-8 instead (the Ollie looked a little too burly for me, what with my twice-a-week rides...). Besides, the Ollies and Wilsons are out of stock everywhere it seems, so there wasn't much choice...

As for the bike itself,, it's a beast, with a stealth paintjob that's straight outta hell. Handling is awesome, although some riders may feel it's a bit too laid-back, with quite a long riding position (down to your own preference). The 4-way shock is a great little unit and very tweakable (just got my shock-pump and playing with settings now), and it soaks up everything you throw at it, as does the Junior T upfront.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy - I'm used to hardtail dirt bikes (like my Kona Chute) so this is a fair old bit heavier, but I guess it comes with the terratory: burly solid bike = bit on the heavy side. Nothing else to complain about really...yet!

Bottom Line:
Even in the UK, with our marked up prices (you lucky, lucky guys over the pond), this full susser represents probably the best value you can get on such an awesome bike.

Test ride one if you can - there's very few left in the UK, if any, so don't think about the money, think about the ride!

Purchased At:   Freeborn (Esher)

Similar Products Used:   Specialised Bit Hit, Specialised Demo 9, Devinci Ollie, Norcos and Konas (which I love, but this beats them!)

Bike Setup:   Standard setup, settling in before some tweaking

Submitted by Maxime St-Pierre a Downhiller from Québec

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2004

Strengths:    there is not a lot of DH/Freeride bike equiped like this for the price

Weaknesses:    Is there any??? maybe it is a bit heavy... My bike is about 45 pound.... but I put my good old front doublewide with my santacruz hub

Bottom Line:
This bike is so strong! I can't see how I could break this frame! The manitou swinger 4way with the SPV do a perfect job and the Junior T work so well that I decided to keep it and forget my first idea of an 888r like the Wilson... there is no bad side on this bike... It's fast, plush, corner really well and never goes out of travel! I recommand it to every one!

Favorite Trail:   Bing Bang ( #7) Bromont

Purchased At:   3700CAD André Cycle

Similar Products Used:   Norco A-line, Norco team DH, Giant DH comp. All those bike have only been tested...

Bike Setup:   Stock except for my front double wide and 2.7tire.

Submitted by David a Downhiller from Oak Harbor, WA USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2004

Strengths:    Great feeling suspension with horst linkage. The swinger does a comparable job to the fifth element. I just bought the frame so I couldnt say about the part spec. Came with a good rear wheel (although trail pimps would be better than AirCorp rims), so-so headset, but that is it.

Weaknesses:    Hmmmm. Minor details, i hope. The biggest thing I just noticed today. One of the "bolts" that holds the likage together came out completely, with no warning whatsoever. It was the one on the chainring side right above the bottom bracket. Kind of scared me because I could have been riding like that for a while and not known it. Havent got a chance to check it out completley though. It is kind of pricey too, but that is the price for quality i guess (at least it is cheaper than an ellsworth).

Bottom Line:
So far, I love the bike, but the stock spring is pretty soft for my liking. I cant find anywhere that sells the Manitou springs, but Progressive springs are the same diameter and fit fine. I already ordered a 550 LB spring. I have only ridden it on the Shore and Whistler, but that is as good a place as any to give an evaluation of the bike. Besides the problem with ONE bolt, I love it. And it jumps like a champ.

Purchased At:   Steed Cycles