Commencal Bicycles Supreme 6.xx Freeride Full Suspension

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

• Frame: Supreme FR 6" (150mm)
  • Shox: Fox Float R XV
  • Fork: Marzocchi Drop Off

• Review Options:  Sorted by Latest Review | Sort by Best Rating

Submitted by Sleezeone a Weekend Warrior from Helsinki

Date Reviewed: October 9, 2009

Strengths:    So versatile......trails,jumps,dh.....u name it,its got it.

Weaknesses:    short seat post tube.

Bottom Line:
    Just had to write here to say if u got money only 4 one bike,and love all types of mountainbiking,seriously this is the bike to get!im a bit on a freeride side but recently been spending more times on a trail because this bike can do that too,only if u have the cheapest stock setup,need to switch fork to bigger one (if u like to FR)and of course some other parts need upgrading but are manageable,at least 4 me they have been.(finland is quite flat)
    nevertheless frame is awesome 4 its price and alltogether.
    happy riding yall!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Keskuspuisto

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Hi5bikes

Similar Products Used:   .specialized bighit spec.

Bike Setup:   marchozzi rc 66,some fox air rearshock,basically stock parts(bit cheap)!

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Sachse Texas

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2007

Strengths:    Great looking frame. Great balance bike feels alsome riding it. Climbs very well and goes down better. Everything seems to be very solide. Rear seems to track very well at high speeds.

Bottom Line:
    I have had many bikes and I would rate this one in the top 3. This would make a great freeride bike that can be used on trails as well.

Favorite Trail:   Any thats not flat or up hill

Bike Setup:   Stock 6.30

Submitted by Blair a Downhiller from Banff Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 11, 2006

Strengths:    I bought this as frame only so I'm only commenting on that.

First of all, it looks awesome. Now I know that doesn't matter, but it is nice. The attention to small things is nice, for example how the main pivot bearings are clamped in instead of just pressed into a whole and the bolt for the clamp has a replaceable nut instead of being threaded into the frame. The pivot bearings have little aluminum caps so they have a bit more of a seal... even though that makes them a pain to put back in. The quality of paint on it is awesome, I have very few marks on the frame from rocks as it only goes through the clear coat most of the time. The adjustable headtube is nice and the option for 10 or 12mm back hubs

Okay, so the imfortant thing. This frame rides amazing, it's like a mini DH bike. I run the headtube at the slackest angle and it makes the bike really stable and predictable. The low bb height makes it rail in corners and the suspension design feels really good with the dhx air. It works great as a small Dh rig but also fits the all mountain bill nicely. I've done some long trail rides on it and the weight and pedaling make it a good all around bike.

Weaknesses:    the price for the frame is a bit much at retail but you seem to get what you pay for.
    I had to modify the frame to get my back Hope m4 with 7" rotor to fit since the caliper hit the frame. A minor amount of file work fixed that though... and seriously, who else is going to have that problem?
    It was a pain in the ass to put my e13 on it but my cranks and using an old guide didn't help.
    Having my seat post short enough to slam it down all the way means I can't put it up much but it goes high enough for me not to care that much.

Bottom Line:
    Bottom line eh? Well the bottom line is I'd buy one of these again for sure, or go for the Dh model. I was thinking of buying a complete 05 Norco Six but am happy I went with this instead as the ride is more suited to my style. I found the six to be not nearly as stable and wanted to flip back a lot easier, good for manuals which the Commencal isn't really but I'll use my skatepark bike for that. Pretty much the Commencal wants to stay on the ground going down the trail but off jumps it's easy enough to get pop. Drops need a bit more effort not to nose dive at slow speed than other bikes but you quickly adapt. I also managed to keep this bike a lot lighter than the Norco. Mine weighs in around 36-37lbs where as the Six was over 40 as far as I remember... it was something like a 6lbs difference but don't hold me to that.

The only other thing is that the bottom out control in the shock seems to do nothing. I end up going through all of my travel almost every ride but I can't say that I have ever felt it bottom so it's not really a problem then I guess.

Favorite Trail:   Harper (Kamloops), Mount 7 (Golden)

Purchased At:   shop i work at

Similar Products Used:   '05 Norco Six would be the closest to it

Bike Setup:   Of course the Supreme 6 frame, 05 Sherman Firefly, Hope 6ti and m4, e13 sts, Saint Cranks with 36t e13 ring, atomlab aircorp pedals, Mavic 729's on woodman 12mm hub and formula 20mm, 2.4" Panaracer Fire FR folding bead, Syncros Crush Zone seat, Syncros Bulk bars, Funn Serial Killa, FSA Pig Pro headset, XT shifter 105 derailleur XT cassette and Dura Ace chain.

Submitted by Peter Crain from Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2006

Strengths:    My bike is a 05' Supreme FR 6.3. It's light, strong, smooth, and balanced in the air and will climb like a X-country when needed. Built quality is there. Adjustable head-tube is nice. Rear suspension is a bit complicated, but works well. Tires work better with less air. ~40 psi.

The components are good and haven't given me any problems. (Brakes, drive train, wheels) Even though it's a bottom level model for the Supreme FR series, it's great.

Weaknesses:    The stock fork set-up is not the best. I traded out the forks for dual clamp, 7 inch travel forks. With the added height and stiffness, there is a big improvement from the stock forks. Not that I had problems with them, I just took advantage of having better forks.

Bottom Line:
    It's a sweet ride. I get compliments every time I'm out riding. I love it.

I was kind of worried about the reliability / strength with the complicated rear suspension yokes and adjustable head tube. But now that I have rode it for a while, I have confidence in the design and features it offers.

If your looking for a lighter, different, freeride bike, take my advice and buy one.

Favorite Trail:   Fernie , B.C.

Purchased At:   Bike Bros. - Cochrane, Alberta

Bike Setup:   Stock except with junior T's and 1 happy rider.

Submitted by Timo from Essex, UK

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2006

Strengths:    Exclusive, fast, quiet, confidence inspiring, great build quality, fantastic suspension

Weaknesses:    paint scratches easily, rear shock exposed to debris from back wheel

Bottom Line:
    This one is built as a lightweight DH bike with Fox 40s at the front with travel reduced to 7" and the standard DHX air at the back giving 6".

The suspension design is very good - it climbs like a cross country bike and descends better than most DH machines with 2" more travel. The adjustable head angle means you can use this bike as a true do it all machine. Its efficient design reduces pedal bob meaning you can keep the speed up on those rooty sections.

A 12mm bolt through rear end keeps everything nice and secure, whilst the ISCG chain guide mount means fitting an e13 or MRP is simple.

All in all if you want one bike to do everything but with a bias towards UK downhill and the odd trip to the Alps - this is the machine

Favorite Trail:   Avalanche, Les Gets

Bike Setup:   Supreme VIP 6 frame, DHX air shock, Fox 40 (set at 180mm), e13 DRS, XTR, Hope hubs & 6TI brakes