Cannondale Perp 1 Freeride Full Suspension

• Saddle: SDG BelAir ST
  • Seat Post: SDG I-Beam

Submitted by Filip a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: March 25, 2014

Strengths:    Good geometry, realy good rear suspension, low price, 1.5" head tube, pedable.

Weaknesses:    little heavy (21 kg with marz 888 and dh tires ), not realy god at tight corners and the bb is to high, flexy rear end ( my cracked ) and bad quality linkage

Bottom Line:
It was my favorite bike thil it broke, i rode it from am rute to dh tracks and it ferformed well, i just loved the suspension.
The rear end is realy flexy, that s the only thing i would change ( and shorten the cs and lower the bb)
I would recomend this bike for anyone who like to ride his bike for funn, for some real dh it isn t realy good

Duration Product Used:   1.5 years

Similar Products Used:   Giant glory 2010, kona stinky 2009, norco team dh, haro 375, some old glory and some jamis dh

Bike Setup:   dt swiss wheels, elixir r, truvativ and sram components, marz 888 fork

Submitted by CW a Weekend Warrior from germany

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2007

Strengths:    build quality, geometry, stiffness, progressiveness, non interrupted seat tube

Weaknesses:    stock shock is lousy (Marzocchi Rocco WC and the bike comes allive!), bottom bracket could be 0.5 inch lower, rear stays very long compared to the wheelbase

Bottom Line:
very flickable freeride bike (even at 40 lbs). resistant to bottoming because of the linkage progression. very good ballance in the air with 2007 66RC2X. the frame seems to be build to last. the old gemini looks like its all mountain brother. frame without shock is a little on the heavy side (8.8 lbs) but this makes it handle the big stuff and crashes save. very short wheelbase (44,9) and very long rear stays (17,9) deliver a lot of front traction and steering response but manualing is a tough job! this bike is my favorite freeride bike but for high speed downhilling I would prefer a slacker longer bike. i would recomend a fork with a progressive spring rate (Marzocchi) as the totem for example (solo air and coil) are blowing through their travel to much at higher compressions (for further explanations see my 2007 RC2X and 2007 36RC2 review (Walter)). I had very good results with 2006 66SL and 2007 RC2X.
rating is just for the frame!

Similar Products Used:   ironhorse 7, cannondale gemini, Sott nitrous, fusion whipplash

Bike Setup:   two wheels, two brakes and one bar

Submitted by Jazzy a Downhiller from Mammoth, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 10, 2007

Strengths:    Solid Bike. Frame is sick, the shock linkage is just as plush as virtual pivot as much as I can tell. Comes with good components. Totem fork is awesome, lots of adjustments, high/low compression, dampening. Rear shock is ok and does its job. X.9 is wonderful! Hayes Mags are nice and stop you when you need to do that type of thing..

Weaknesses:    It is heavy, but you can pedal it up hills, just have to work for it. Pedals suck. Front tire washes out as soon as its no longer new. Mine is weighing just under 41 pounds, its a medium.

Bottom Line:
Sweet bike, Kills it once you get suspension and fork all worked in and tuned for your riding style. Takes drops, jumps, rock gardens, berms, turns... Fun bike! I'm in love with it. Other then lame pedals and front tire wearing out quickly, it is perfect for the type of riding that I do, which is freeride/downhill stuff down trails and single track, but not too much racing, only local stuff.

Favorite Trail:   Live Wire - Northstar

Similar Products Used:   My old A-Line, friends V10.. other random bikes.

Bike Setup:   Stock except got rid of crappy cannondale pedals, put on azonic a-frame's with magniesium spindal. And have new front tire one the way, its a Maxxis Holy Roller 2.7.

Submitted by John a Downhiller from Troy, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2007

Strengths:    Takes hits like a champ, and has good small bump compliance. The perp frame is strong to say the least, the 1.5 headtube is the right way to go. cranks and bb are heavy but solid. Rear triangle is very true and tracks well. 200mm travel setting is the way to go for trail, 180mm is sweet for urban.

Weaknesses:    lock-tight all the bolts in the rear, hinge bolts vibrate out.

Bottom Line:
The perp is an all around big mountain bike that will just as soon tear up some harsh single track as it will ride over your neighbores kids. the perp makes up for its weight with its plush suspension and bombproof frame.

Purchased At:   cannondale direct

Similar Products Used:   specialized big hit

Bike Setup:   stock, you dont really need to upgrade unless you're a weight pu$$y

Submitted by Scott House a Cross Country Rider from Park City

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2007

Strengths:    An 8 inch bike you climb 2000' no problem.

Weaknesses:    A little heavy out of the box. 36 hole wheels are not needed.

Bottom Line:
This is my first "big bike" and I love it. I have a Profit 1 as well and it barely leaves the garage. I ride my perp all over the mountain. I have never rode a bike that can handle everything you throw at it like this bike can. Bottom line.... If you dont have one you should!! This is a perfect bike for the strong all-mountain rider/freerider out there. Make no mistake it is work to pedal up hill, but if you pay your dues you are rewarded 10 fold.

Favorite Trail:   Crest

Crank Brother Mallet C
DeeMax Rims
DT 440 Freeride Hubs.

Do you think I can find a Cannondale Perp 1 (2009) XL Frame

Hey! Since a couple of years some part of my mind is on the Perp 1. Until now I couldn't find an unused or fine condition frame. Is there anybody out there who could advise me? Can I find what I'm looking for? I'd apperciate any information. Thanks!Read More »

Cannondale Perp with a Vivid 5.1

any do it yet ? having issues finding appropriate mounting hardware, so before i go and buy it and modify it to fit is it worth it! ? :) anyone done it ? if so how bad did ya have to mod it ?Read More »

Spring Rates on Perp 1

I'm just doing a quick bit of checking for a friend, anyone know what springs are available for the Perp 1's Vanilla shock? I'm assuming the stock coil is set for a 170-180lb rider and I'd put my friend at a good 220, are there firmer coil springs available for the thing? Cheers.Read More »

Ordered New Perp 1 Frame Set..........

I was about to order a new Judge when the geometry of the new Perp caught my eye, and I ordered it instead........but darn I hate the wait (3 months...Argh). Its a tad lighter than a Judge with a shorter wheelbase... [URL=http://img155.imageshack.us/my.php?image=cdaleperp0bw.jpg][IMG]http://img155. ... Read More »

07 Cannondale Perp 1

ok i couldnt find if anyone asked yet or not but im looking for the price on the perp 1 (in USD). i know it isnt available untill november but i heard someone say it was $4499.99 which seems like a lot to me with a fox vanilla r rear shock and the rest of the part spec being what it is, if anyone kn ... Read More »