Cannondale Jekyll Carbon Freeride Full Suspension

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

The Go Anywhere, Ride Anything, Two-Bikes-in-One Superbike. Indulge both sides of your personality – no potions needed. With the revolutionary DYAD shock, Jekyll is back with a vengeance and rewriting the rules once again.

Submitted by J.p

Date Reviewed: March 12, 2014

Strengths:    Descending, negotiating difficult terrain.

Weaknesses:    Not ideal for climbing as an f.s, but the lockout shocks sure help.

Bottom Line:
I cannot compare too much as this is my first high end my bike.
But I can say it has been a pleasure to ride, I feel safe and know it can pretty much handle anything on the trail.
The shock lockouts are awesome. I am 5' 8" and the medium frame is perfect.
I would def buy this bike again. I love this bike.

Submitted by chiefmatesam

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2012

Strengths:    FAST bike that almost feels like a 29'er because of the big suspension.
an absolute BLAST riding fast downhill. Climbs like a mountain goat.

Weaknesses:    Bit heavy for a carbon fiber bike, but that's the price you pay for the pull shock. Well worth it.

Bottom Line:
When I was looking to buy a new bike, I test drove many bikes trying to decide which one to get. I was leaning towards the Niner Rip 9, but couldn't quite get myself past the 2 year frame warranty. The mechanic at my LBS let me ride his Jekyll...and that was the end of my search. I absolutely fell in love with this bike. After I started riding it, my riding actually improved quite a bit. I've even hucked it off some good drops without any problem. I'm a big guy at 245 lbs, 6'4" and I ride a large - but this is my personal preference. I ride very aggressively, so I like the slightly smaller frame. I cracked the frame recently right under the headtube. Cannondale replaced the entire frame under warranty, no questions asked. Cannondale's warranty is next to none.

Submitted by FreuderLocks a All Mountain Rider

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2012

Strengths:    This Is a bike that does it all! Capable of almost any type of mountain riding save for DH, the Carbon Jekyll 2 is a great ride for a reasonable price (hence 4 chilis), the overall rating reflects how happy I am with the bike overall. The Sram X9/X7 drive train is wonderful, its 2x10 allows you to power through flat lands and climb hills with ease. The Dyad Rt2 Rear shock is the best part of this bike, its very smooth and sucks up trail bumps with ease. The Dyad is simple to tune and easy to use with the handlebar mounted lever. The only thing this bike lacks and should have from the factory is a chain guide (it comes on the 2013 models) and a dropper seat post. The frame is stiff and responsive and the Fox float TALAS 32 is just as good as it has ever been especially with its custom lockout thresholds set from cannondale to match the rear DYAD shock. My small weighs in at 28lbs 3 oz with pedals, simply amazing for a sturdy all mountain bike! Hans Dampf Trailstar tires are awesome and deserve their own review! The Fizik gobi saddle is GARBAGE, replace it immediately and experience the Jekyll!

Weaknesses:    The major and most glaring weakness in this entire line of bikes (claymore, Jekyll) is the Avid Elixir brakes. The Carbon 2 comes equipped with Avid Elixir Carbon 7 180mm front and rear, if you can get them working, they are alright, but certainly don't have the power that a 180mm brake should. Mine leaked right out of the box and needed a bleed immediately, which is a pain in the ass, even if you work in the shop where you bought your bike (I do). These brakes are an insult to the bike, period. Saddle, the Fizik Gobi XM is just not worth the time to even try and ride, I will be replacing mine with something else. This bike lacks a chain guide, it needs one but performs well without one.

Bottom Line:
This bike is expensive but as with expensive things, you get what you pay for and this bike is at the top of the heap as far as I am concerned. The Avid brakes are an insult to such a fine machine, luckily Shimano makes top quality brakes that are the best in the market, I will be replacing the sub standard avids with Shimano XTR trail brakes and levers. I could not be happier with my purchase, easily one of the best bike purchases I have ever made. For the serious trail rider or someone looking for a more comfortable ride, the Jekyll is it! I will be making this suggestion to my customers as well.

Favorite Trail:   Not sure. (matthews Winters in Golden CO)

Duration Product Used:   1 week

Purchased At:   Cannondale Represent

Similar Products Used:   Many demo bikes

Bike Setup:   Factory, Crank Brothers egg beaters (borrowed from my SS, will be replaced with XTR trail pedals)

Submitted by Jason@Cambridge Bicycle a Weekend Warrior from Boston, MA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2011

Strengths:    Light Weight, Stiff, Dyad adjustable shock, climbs as well as it descends, reverb post.

Weaknesses:    Sun Black flag pro wheelset, triple crankset with no chainguard or bashguard. 90mm stem seems a little long for an all mountain bike, didn't come with sag indicator decal so the sag indicator is useless

Bottom Line:
It took a couple rides to get used to but I have totally fallen in love with this bike. It survived a week of downhill riding at killington vt, and highland mountain nh, as well as all the local trails around boston. It flys through single track and flip the elevate button and it feels so efficient climbing it brings a smile to my face everytime, and isn't that what it is all about. Rocking tech stuff is done well and after you master the use of the reverb post and the dyad shock modes the bike just works how it should. I wish cannondale would have spec'd it with an actual all mountain wheelset and not the XC narrow rimmed hoops that come with it. Also the triple cranks are useless on a bike like this. A double with a chain guard or a single with guide is the only way to go in my opinion if you are actually riding it off road. Great do it all bike

Favorite Trail:   Highland Mountain

Purchased At:   Univeristy Bicycle a

Similar Products Used:   Diamondback Mission 3, Cannondale Perp, Jamis XAM

Bike Setup:   Replaced wheels with Chris King Hubs to Stans Flow rims and Conti Mountain king tires tubeless, 1 by 10 drivetrain with LG1 chain guide, wtb pure v titanium saddle, thomson 50mm stem, look pedals 27.5 lbs

Submitted by englishsteel a Weekend Warrior from Erie, CO

Date Reviewed: August 19, 2011

Strengths:    Reasonably light, Adjustable Travel, Solid OEM parts, Dyad shock. Best "all-mountain" bike I've ridden!

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket might be a touch low...many unexpected pedal strikes, lever for Dyad sometimes requires taking hand of bar to engage. Saw pre-production pictures of a sag indicator...that would be nice to have! Dyad dedicated shock is tricky to use... seems to loose some of your adjustment when removing the pump.

Bottom Line:
This is a fantastic trail bike build for all-day riding. The Dyad shock and the associated travel differences truly give the bike a Jekyll/Hyde feel. Use the elevate mode for uphill...stiffer shock, less sag, higher BB and steeper angles...throw the switch and you get a bike that descends with confidence and puts you on the right position to hang on. This is my first bike with 10 speed and the rear d. is a little tricky to get adjusted right. I'm very impressed with the whole package and will follow up with a longer-term review later. Have been riding in the Colorado front-range area. I now call this my "no excuses" bike. The bike does what they say it does!

Favorite Trail:   A-Line, Noble Knob (Palisades), Hall & Heil