Cannondale Jekyll 600 Freeride Full Suspension

4.22/5 (9 Reviews)

Submitted by Jeremy a Weekend Warrior from Bountiful, Utah

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    fairly light, good rear shock

Weaknesses:    front shocks are soft

Bottom Line:
I looked at a lot of bikes before getting this one. It has a good component setup for the price and the cannondale frame is good and they back their bikes well. I don't mind the tires or the rims. Tires are isposable and as long as the rims function then I'm fine with them. The brakes make noise, but it doesn't bother me. They work better than rim grabbers.

I really only have two beefs with the bike. I get a lot of ghost shifting when I really get up and crank. This is so aggrivating. I think this might be from the cable routing. I also feel that the front shock is too soft (I'm 6' 195). I've been meaning to change the springs in the bike but I never get around to it. I hate taking my bike to the shop. The shocks even feel soggy any time I stand and crank. So I try not to do that too much :)

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar, Jamis Dakar, Barracuda (old school killer bike!)

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by mike a Cross Country Rider from pittsburgh, pa

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2004

Strengths:    rear lockout, adjustable travel on front susp., jumps like a grasshopper, the look

Weaknesses:    squishy front suspension, tires are soft and do not climb well at all, shifting brake pads

Bottom Line:
awesome bike. simple, unexpensive(buy online) upgrades made the bike perfect for me so far. i think the disc brakes are a must. also, if you weigh more than about 160lbs, you will want to upgrade the springset. tire change is a must if you are doing any tech climbs. very pleased with the bike, doin' some crazy stuff with it.

Favorite Trail:   anything with rocks, stumps, and jumps

Similar Products Used:   specialized rockhopper

Bike Setup:   extra-firm springset, avid disc brakes

Submitted by toonkiller0_0 Digger on a log a Downhiller from A secluded Island

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2004

Strengths:    I really like how the shock juices, it makes really good orange juice if you know what I mean. If I owned another one of these bikes I would make alot of orange juice with the shocks. & misc thing that you would never think of in your liftime!!!!! The components have an automatic braking system, if my brakes go out I can simply shift my deraileur into the spokes and my bike will instantly stop. This has come in handy so many times when the 6 inch drop caused my brakes to fall off. I always forget to put on the screws. But luckily I didn't get screwed. Another time my brakes didn't work so I did the shiftage thing and I flew into the stem and racked myself and then endoed on my shelly. I was having back spasims in the hospital. This bike is great.

Weaknesses:    The orange juice tastes like grease, it's chunky and pulpy, it can clog your arteries. When I forgot to put the screw back it my shock turned into a blender. It made really good grape and apple juice.

Bottom Line:
The juice works the best off of big drops. Take some oranges with you on a cross county expedition and enjoy greasy juice that will help you do stuff the whole day. this is a great bike, because you get two juicers, one in the back and the front, unlike the Hardtail juicer I bought from Johnny, it had only one juicer in the front. It was like a lefty blender deluxe 2000 whith shimano xt shifting power deluxe. That's why I give this one a five flaming donkey.

Favorite Trail:   The one that has the 6 inch drop

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   The one where everyone gets their bikes! Wal-mart!

Similar Products Used:   The Blender 2000 Deluxe and the Jucier with Shimano XT shifting power deluxe

Bike Setup:   Bike setup? I'm talking about a blender and a juicer that I bought from Mad Horse Cyclerly

Submitted by Leo a Weekend Warrior from Billericay (Essex) UK

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2004

Strengths:    Finish, suspension, looks.

Weaknesses:    Bars. Doesn't come with a proper manual or a shock pump. Cables rub frame close to BB (Some duct tape cures it). Rear mech works upside down?

Bottom Line:

The bike looks awesome. Mine is the black one wiht grey inserts. Everything works ok apart from the rear mech that works opposite to what i was used to. The suspension allows you to fly over any terrain with total confidende. Hugh improvement from my previous hard tail. I'm beginnig to do some drops that I couldn't think of before. Haven't owned a full susser before, so this bike is taking me into a new dimension of fun. The fork is the one with adjustable travel (stickers coming off from the 1st day) and it feels a bit on the soft side.Lacks some kind of preload or compression damping adjustment. It climbs amazingly well, almost as well as my old bike on smooth terrain and defenitely better on rough terrain as the suspension will keep the rear wheel on the ground.
Haven't changed the geometry yet, so can't comment much on this one.
Really happy with the purchase and I can reccomend it to anyone looking for something similar (Specialized Enduro, Liquid Fuel, Kona Dawg).
The manual that comes with the bike is a generic one and you need to ask for a specific Jekyll one to the shop ( after paying this amount of money, really pissed me off) and the shop sent me a photocopy instead! (Evanscycles UK).
Will see how it withstands the abuse, but so far, 5 chilis.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Evans Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Kona mano mano

Bike Setup:   Standard. The european model comes with magura julie disc brakes. Will change the bars for something wider and taller. May change the tyres as well.

Submitted by Jordan a Cross Country Rider from Allentown, PA USA

Date Reviewed: June 22, 2004

Strengths:    Decent rear shock. Lock-out capability of both front and rear shock. The stock tires seem to do OK on rocky trails.

Weaknesses:    Not near as much front suspension travel as other bikes I've ridden. The exposed cables run along the bottom of the bike and get all jammed up by mud. Shifting and braking become unreliable as a result. The front deraileur can get all messed up if you adjust the adjustabel geometry, so that feature is really a non-feature

Bottom Line:
I've ridden better bikes that cost less money. I don't think this bike is a good value. It is tough to keep the thing out of the shop.

Purchased At:   Local bike store

Similar Products Used:   Misc. Specialized and GT bikes

Bike Setup:   Basically stock. Put a better saddle on it, a riser bar for more comfort over long rides.

Submitted by james booth a Racer from park city

Date Reviewed: June 15, 2004

Strengths:    everything some say the brakes are week but you can ajust them with no tools the shox are great iv hit 4' drops to steep downhill onto flat allto gether 18 and not bottomed out the rear shox has to many features to name and just the fact dick brakes shox can go from 90mm to 120mm great shifters easy to ride though the hashest junk you could think of and the derailer is top of the line it is easy to fixjust tighten the cords and your good to go

Weaknesses:    stock tires are only like 2.0 but thats easy to replace

Bottom Line:
my friends have some of those bikes abouve and there always braking this is great all around even downhill its crazy it takes all you dish and askes for more i am veryyyyyyyyyyyy happy with this bike is the best youll ever ride you can go though the kind of stuff you cant even walk though i mean burrly stuff and it rides right though and youll want to go bigger faster and harder any kind of rider should get this bike

Favorite Trail:   park city resort

Purchased At:   cole sport

Similar Products Used:   trek 4900 giant vt2 gtidrive 5.o

Bike Setup:   stock exept the peadles couse i hate clipes

Submitted by gizlby a Weekend Warrior from cypress,ca

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2004

Strengths:    great all around bike. light weight. good shocks. easy to ride. great bike for the price paid - can upgrade later on with no problems to disc brake or lefty shock.

Weaknesses:    seat - could be better, pedals - have problems with the tension - no major complaints

Bottom Line:
this is a great all around bike for the price. i can't complain about it since i haven't had it for very long but so far everything works great. would have liked to have gotten the one with the disc brakes but i don't ride enough to justify the added cost. got a great deal so i can't complain. i'm only 5'1" and 110 lbs to it's really hard to find a good bike in my size. got a really good deal from supergo when they were having a sale and couldn't resist. very light weight and great performance. if you can use the men's small which is what i got - don't go for the female version. female version is lighter but the colors are awful. i don't know why everyone thinks a female bike needs to have pastel pretty colors. this is a good bike if you do weekend riding and don't want to spend too much. i can't justify spending more then what i paid since i only ride on the weekends and this bike fits every one of my needs. i had a motiv bike from costco for a really long time - great bike for everyday commuting and the cost very light weight - but this jekyll is going to start being my one and only now. put a platform pedal and it's great for everyday commuting. i haven't quite gotten used to the clipless yet but will keep trying. if you're looking for a good quality all around bike for a little over $1000, you can't beat the jekyll 600. it has better components then the jekyll 400 and if you shop around you can get it for about the same cost.

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   diamondback, motiv, trek, jekyll 400

Bike Setup:   stock - haven't added anything yet. waiting to work out all the little glitches first

Submitted by chad lukenbill a Cross Country Rider from oak harbor, wa

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2004

Strengths:    Adjustable front suspension for downhill. Adjustable geometry from freeride to cross country. Nice and smooth on the downhill sections. Stock tires are garbage

Weaknesses:    Stock wheelset is junk. My back wheel fell apart on my third ride. Broke the stock chain 2 times. Bike is an ok climber. The bike has been rode 6 times and broke down on 3 occasions making me walk. Stock seat is terrible and after one ride it got wet with mud and changed to a funky color. Both disc brakes constantly howl.

Bottom Line:
I am 5'11 and 220 lbs. The bottom line is don't buy this bike if you plan on riding hard or you like to walk home while your friends are at the car tipping back cold ones talking about you. Bike is probably great if you are 150 lbs on a Sunday stroll. Since my few upgrades the bike has been great but why buy a 1500.00 bike if you you have to dump 500 bucks into it a few weeks later. GO A DIFFERENT ROUTE.

Favorite Trail:   galbraith

Purchased At:   supergo

Similar Products Used:   Specialized unduro, Iron horse and Weyless.

Bike Setup:   upgrades wheelset and put on XT hubs. Replaced shimano chain with scram PC99. Yeti grips, Cane Creek bar ends, WTB rocket race seat, and WTB velociraptors front and back.

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Charlotte, NC, USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2004

Strengths:    Name, adjustibility, frame, good climber

Weaknesses:    Seat

Bottom Line:
Sweetest bike out there for the money. I love riding off road and on the streets. Can't get enough riding with this bike. Haven't ridden my road bike since I purchased this bike.

Favorite Trail:   Cane Creek