Cannondale Jekyll 600 Disc Freeride Full Suspension

4.52/5 (27 Reviews)

Submitted by jezmar a Weekend Warrior from Mexico City

Date Reviewed: March 11, 2009

Strengths:    After several mods, the bike can be built very light. Its an amazing frame, it take everything, climbs like a goat and descents as fast as you want.

Weaknesses:    the cable guiding is a mess, my shock have the first version of propedal and climbs very well, butt sometimes it feels very linear and needs imo high pressure (180psi)

Bottom Line:
this bike is a do-anything, xc, long rides, it take dh courses some drops... it represents the All Mountain. Previously I had a 2005 Minute 1 with spv evolve but it felt very rigid, good for climb bot no for go down, with the 44 the bike transforms completely.. other than the shock I thik my bike is still between the new era of AM bikes.

Favorite Trail:   many

Purchased At:   Viansi

Similar Products Used:   Scott G-Zero, Giant Warp, ...

Bike Setup:   right now!! Marzocchi 44 ATA, Sram X9, XT cogs, SLX crank, Elixir 185/160 on Hope's Pro II

Submitted by Marco Hermes Peruzzi a Weekend Warrior from La Spezia, Liguria, Italy

Date Reviewed: February 10, 2008

Strengths:    Amazingly light in climbing up-hill and in the same time extremely strong and safe in down-hill (be careful, not extreme down-hill, not with this bike!). The best bike in All-mountains/enduro.

Weaknesses:    I can't find, may be the same old story of "too-customized" spareparts of Cannondale (Lefty and Shock only for Cannondale p.e.)

Bottom Line:
A bike for everyone, the Cross-country rider and the weekender enduro free-rider. I think the best Cannondale ever built.

Favorite Trail:   5 terre and liguria's Trails

Purchased At:   Hot Bikes - sp - Italy

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Jekyll 1° serie, Cannondale F800 CAAD5, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR, Viner Vy Pro

Bike Setup:   upgraded to Jekyll 2000: Front derailleur XT, Rear der. XTR 2008 Shadow, Lefty Max spv 140mm, brakes XT 2007 disc,

Submitted by Matt Bogosian a Weekend Warrior from Nashville, TN

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2006

Strengths:    Great Suspension. Strong Frame. Great Components.

Weaknesses:    None right now.

Bottom Line:
Prior to this I was riding a Specialized Stumpjumper hardtail. I was getting beat up on the trails and my back was killing me! After 2 good rides on this I have no back pains and really enjoyed my ride. It is not too heavy so the transition was not bad. Components are decent and can be upgraded as they break. I picked this up used with a fox vanilla front shock for $800. These are a great deal used.

Favorite Trail:   Lock 4

Purchased At:   Used From Classifieds

Bike Setup:   Stock except Fox Vanilla front shock.

Submitted by Jesse a Cross Country Rider from Fredericksburg VA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2006

Strengths:    Solid frame design, front and rear lockout, travel, paint scheme,versitility.

Weaknesses:    The cable routing looks as if a 5-year old designed it. (I built it from the frame up, so I didn't have the component complains other reviewers had.)

Bottom Line:
Coming off a couple of race seasons aboard an XTC NRS-1, this bike was a breath of fresh air. So long had I been used to the finicky, spindley handling of XC race rigs that when I took my first ride aboard the Jekyll, I understood why I so loved to ride a bike. The suspension soaks up whatever XC harshness I dish out. I can ride all day on this thing.

Favorite Trail:   Any, when I can get to them!

Similar Products Used:   Giant's AC-1 and NRS-1.

Bike Setup:   Set up primarily for XC, Mavic XC 717's mated to Hugi hubs, XT crankset, XT front der with XTR in the rear. XTR 9-speed cassette. Hays Comp hydraulic disc brakes. Titec X-Wing seatpost with a Selle Italia Ti saddle on it. Race Face Low Riser up front with LX shifters and Specialized Control grips.

Submitted by Dan from Flagstaff AZ USA

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2006

Strengths:    Great frame, very solid ride. Climbs great and rips up the DH (not stock though)

Weaknesses:    Whoever designed that seat should be beat to death with it. Rims and tires are weak. Sure the paint rubs off a bit in places but find me any bike that doesnt...its a mountain bike you pansies.

Bottom Line:
People who expect this bike to be a freerider out of the shop need to wake up....takes a bit of love and money to beef it up. The frame is great 4in of rear wheel travel isn't spectacular but does nicely on the jumps and 4 footish drops (havent bottomed out the rear yet). Bottom line ...great XC bike (stock) good Freeride (with a few bucks).

Purchased At:   Factory team buddy

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Rocket 88 / Gt iDrive

Bike Setup:   Sun DH rims (must for freeride) / Rockshox Recon 351 / Race face bars / stem / seatpost / crankset...wtb DH tires

Submitted by Preston a Weekend Warrior from Philipsburg, PA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 14, 2005

Strengths:    Awesome suspension, lockout is great. Adjustable geometry makes it easy to fit the bike to the rider. Good components.

Weaknesses:    Just like all the other reviews...the seat sucks. The paint job is terrible. Although it is a mountain bike and it is supposed to get scratched, its not supposed to have cable rub to the bare metal in three months...not good. I also dislike the hutchinson scorpion tires, they just don't have any traction, but thats nothing really, all tires get replaced. I think the rims could be stronger.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is, I do like this bike. It fits me perfect. The paint scheme is great( black and silver), but the clearcoat is terrible. All the other problems can be changed over time like the tires and seat. Other than the small problems that any other bike has too, I am really digging the bike. IT takes a licken and doesn't keep ticken as long as your adjustments are right. :)

Favorite Trail:   local mountains

Purchased At:   Eddies Bicycles & sport equip.

Similar Products Used:   Tested Giant NRS 1, 2, and 3, Trek fuel 70, 80, and 90. Also have tested Specialized epic(wow). The jekyll is my first FS that I have owned though.

Bike Setup:   I keep the rebound on the black about medium and travel as high as she will go. I also set the adjustable geometry so that my wait is shifted back for better hill decents.

Submitted by Pascal Gaumond a Cross Country Rider from Bromont, Qc, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2005

Strengths:    5" travel fork and rear suspension, good tires (hutchison scorpio, lockout suspension,

Weaknesses:    rear derailleur - little bit slowish to respond to rapid change demands. I will upgarde to XTR or sram X9 by mid summer.

Bottom Line:
This bike is totally wild, very versatile and sturdy, it takes me uphill faster than it takes to say the alphabet. It is pretty lightweight(less than 30 lbs with disc brake)and responsive enough to manage very fast and technical downhill. The 5" travel on the fork is just marvellous for the arms, works very well. Brakes or truly efficient in any conditions(wet or dry). The lockout suspension is appreciated during long climbing the prevent the bob sensation. I have tried many other bikes including specialized, giant and i find that for the price and spec this is a very very enjoyable bike. Would recommand it to any newcommer and even intermediate rider for the soft and agressive ride it gives.

Favorite Trail:   Bromont

Mavic crossmax rims
Tires: 26 x 2.00" Hutchinson Scorpion

Submitted by Steve Cottrell a Weekend Warrior from Bournemouth, UK

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2005

Strengths:    Good brakes, lockable shock, colour (mine is in the black) 5" travel

Weaknesses:    Pedals, tyres, saddle and paint work (cable rub)

Bottom Line:
I have had great fun on my Jekyll as my first adventure into full-sus. The bike is sure-footed and seems capable in a variety of terrains. I chose the Jekyll over other similar entry level full-sussers because of the lockable shock and have found this useful on long climbs.
The basic bike does need a tyre change and new saddle but its biggest weakness is the cable rub. Everytime I clean it, I seem to stumble across another piece of bare metal. The cable runs are a nightmare and I have taken to cutting up old Lizard Skins and placing these over the worst effected areas.
Apart from this the Jekyll is a lovely bike, if you can still get your hands on one I'd reccomend it. It does stand out from the crowd a little more than many other bikes and there are a few deals about as the Prophet slowly takes over.

Favorite Trail:   The Heath

Price Paid:    $1990.00

Purchased At:   Ride Cycleworks

Similar Products Used:   Speciaslised Enduro, GT Zaskar Race, Marin Mount Vision

Bike Setup:   Mostly Standard, new WTB saddle and easton seatpost, Shimano Pedals and WTB Tyres

Submitted by Josefino Diaz a Weekend Warrior from Duluth, MN

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2005

Strengths:    Very steady and fluid. Front shocks that you can adjust to your gusto. Geometry adjustable too. Good traction for a trail that has roots, rocks and most of the time wet and soggy trail.

Weaknesses:    Heavy but I don't race so I'm fine

Bottom Line:
I've ridden it twice, the trail is very technical with great climbs and of course downhill among rocks, roots, and fallen logs. Climbs well despite heavy frame. Rear tire traction big plus for my medium frame though I have a large size bike (the only one available...closeout). Highly recommended, reasonably priced, proudly made in the US of A.

Favorite Trail:   Hartley Park

Purchased At:   Erik's Bikeshop

Similar Products Used:   I'm a canondale man, my 3rd canondale from rigid to hardtail to FS

Submitted by kevin mather a Weekend Warrior from mansfield ct us

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2005

Strengths:    this is a good bike for xc n trail but not good for agressive riding with jumps n small drops, good brakes

Weaknesses:    rims r really weak replaced two already, fork is too squooshy
components arnt that sturdy

Bottom Line:
good bike for xc n trail but i am into more freeriding, didnt no much about biking when i bought this so i thought it was a good freeride machine n dh, but as i pushed myself it started breaking apart rims are constintly bent, fork has been rebuild twice, lock out nob broke off, and i'm not even that hard core, i do small jumps and no bigger drops then like 5-6'. the avid brakes are really nice and the lock out is good to have (when its not broken) i am now looking for a freeride bike, and trying to sell this for about 700 email me if u have ne questions (futballa25@netscape.net) wouldnt reccoment this bike to a jumper or agressive rider

Favorite Trail:   back yard

Purchased At:   vernon cycles

Bike Setup:   stock with new rims flack jacket cables new tires

Submitted by Alexander Lai a Racer from Pembroke Pines, Fl, USA

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2004

Strengths:    Geometry of Fork, Disc brakes, Adjustable Rear shock, Awesome frame construction and finish. Hand Made in USA for $1300, is a bargain!!!

Weaknesses:    Fork is tooooo soft. Need to replace spring on the fork, Seat is a joke.

Bottom Line:
This is my second MTB bike and this thing is awesome for climbing and the flexibility of the frame's geometric thanks to its adjustable rear shock allows for XC and light freeride. Quality of construction is superior. After replacing minor parts, you can make this the perfect bike! It isn't the best bike around, but for $1300.00 is probably the best value around and the best part of all...it isn't made in China, or Taiwan!!!

Favorite Trail:   Markham Park trails

Similar Products Used:   Trek Fuels, and Specialized

Bike Setup:   Changed tires to Panaracer Fire XC Pro, Seat post to Thompson Elite, a better seat, and Time z pedals. and very soon I will changing the spring on the fork to a stiffer one.

Submitted by jeff a Cross Country Rider from West Greenwich, RI USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2004

Strengths:    This is a six month update. This bike is great. I had the remote lockout installed, but once you get used to the bike, you don't really need it. The adjustments are endless on the frame. It's got to be one of the best bikes ever for riding in new england. Avid discs are awesome. No bleeding and plenty of power.

Weaknesses:    The cable routing could be better, and the clear coat isn't very tough. But as long as you keep the cables lubed, the bike shifts and brakes very well. The stock saddle and tires are really bad.

Bottom Line:
After riding 250 miles on my jekyll this summer, I have to say it has been worth every penny. I put some frame saver patches on the cable wear points to protect the finish, and I've had no problems otherwise. The stock tires are no good for new england. Too many rock gardens and roots. Upgrade the tires and saddle, and this bike is one sick trail bike!

Favorite Trail:   Rena's trail, Arcadia

Purchased At:   providence bike

Similar Products Used:   Pro Flex 855

Bike Setup:   Answer carbon bars, Cook Bros. F crank, shimano peadals, IRC mythos tires, WTB saddle.

Submitted by Forbes Burkowski a Weekend Warrior from Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2004

Strengths:    Very smooth ride, handles as if it is alive: you make a suggestion and it does the job.

Weaknesses:    cable routing, came with tires that could use more or deeper treads (I do not do pavement).

Bottom Line:
I am really enjoying this bike, but I am currently in the honeymoon phase trying to adapt to a rear suspension (previous bike was hardtail). I do feel that the remote lockout is necessary for a challenging hill climb. I do love the front and rear suspensions: My first impression on the Jekyll was like being a kid gleefully jumping up and down on my parent's bed. At any rate, low roots and small rocks just seem to disappear. It seems a bit skittish on loose gravel but that might be due more to my technique in this learning phase. It does not take long to get spoiled: In order to appreciate the difference, between old and new bike I went back to my old bike trying to go up a few stone steps that were easily done with the Jekyll. My scrapes and wounds should heal in about a week.

Favorite Trail:   Hydro Cut