Cannondale Jekyll 400 Freeride Full Suspension

4.67/5 (12 Reviews)

Submitted by a0metal0edge a Cross Country Rider from lost wages

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2011

Strengths:    Great starter bike. This will get you by until you have the cash for the right bike. Single pivot is really good to learn on. Really a tough bike.

Weaknesses:    "V" Brakes, Manitou Black Fork, Fox vanilla shock is not good for a all mountain/ xc frame. Proprietary shock is hard to change or find replacements for.

Bottom Line:
I am new and can tinker, bad combo. I tried building the bike into an freeride bike but really the truth of the matter is this bike is a great xc/ all mountain frame. If you want to buy an old jekyll look for one with an air shock (rp2, floaT). The vanilla on mine hurts my back. Bottom line is its a GREAT BIKE TO START ON! :))

Favorite Trail:   Cottonwood/bootleg

Purchased At:   craigslist.com

Similar Products Used:   none.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 44 tst2, Truvative hosfelt cranks, maxis high roller on mavic wheelset. raceface atlas, hayes elcamino, crank bros 5050, wtb pure v, sram x9 9 speed set up with long cage derailure.

Submitted by jason gorto a Weekend Warrior from howell NJ

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2008

Strengths:    good in all conditions. snow, sand mud, dirt and pavement. all components are nice and durable so far.

Weaknesses:    brakes are a little weak

Bottom Line:
the guy i bought it from barely used it so it is in mint condition. so far i really enjoy riding it a lot.. i have been riding just about every day and it is solid on hills, in the snow and is a lot of fun off road and on. i reccomend this bike to anyone who needs a fairly inexpensive full suspension bike w/ good components. I also really like the brushed aluminum frame it looks harp!!!

Favorite Trail:   huber woods

Similar Products Used:   first full suspension used. i have a trek 6000 hardtail also.

Bike Setup:   easton handlebars, ritchey comp seatpost, gel saeat but mostly stock

Submitted by Adam a Weekend Warrior from Clarksville, TN

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2006

Strengths:    Frame and Shock

Weaknesses:    I have to agree with everyone else that the Fork is trash. It bottoms out on everything. The wheels are like tin foil. And the brakes suck.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike. The fork had to go. I didnt think the brakes were that bad but the bike was set up for disk so i upgraded that also. This thing climbs really well. Its a little heavy but i wouldnt consider it a freeride bike. Its more of a do it all bike. The wheels are weak. I tacoed the front wheel within the first week and i don't go big at all. I would really recomend this bike to anyone who is looking for a do it all machine.

Favorite Trail:   Mongomery Bell State Park

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F300

Bike Setup:   Fox Vanilla 130R, Avid BB7 disk Brakes, Avid Levers. I replaced the wheels also but i'm not sure what brand they are.

Submitted by Paul Schnepf a Weekend Warrior from Ankeny, iowa

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2005

Strengths:    I have the Raw finish and it is the best looking bike that I have seen. Adjustable geometry and suspenion. This bike is smooth.

Weaknesses:    The fork does not match the rear in terms of rebound and adjustably. It does a good job at slower speeds, but can can't keep up with the rear when the going gets fast. Could use disc brakes.

Bottom Line:
Excellent bike. Will update the brakes and fork down the road. Probably will keep it forever.

Purchased At:   Barr bike

Similar Products Used:   Trek 830 Gary Fisher Marlin both hard tails

Bike Setup:   stock w/clipless pedal

Submitted by Michael from Madrid,ia,usa

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2005

Strengths:    Frame, wheels, crank, handle bars

Weaknesses:    brakes, forks, deraillars are on the suckie side, cassette

Bottom Line:
The bike is great for the value but with some modification it can be better

Favorite Trail:   iowa

Submitted by Kurt a Weekend Warrior from Athens, GA

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2005

Strengths:    Jekyll frame, 5" of travel, very little pedal bob, good overall bike

Weaknesses:    manitou axel is a pretty weak fork
seatpost bent after 2 rides (I weigh 240lbs)
rear cassette bent when chain slipped as I was going over a logpile
stock pedals suck
stock brakes/levers suck

Bottom Line:
This was my first full suspension bike and really the first bike I started riding alot. I love the way this bike looks and rides. Yes, there are a few things that need to be upgraded, such as disk brakes, a real front fork, and some better pedals...but hey I got the bike for $749+tax and I'm very happy with that pricetag. For $1000 more you can build this bike up to be pretty bad and for $1500 in upgrades this bike is bulletproof. I just bought a Marzocchi Marathon S for the front end, but have not put it on yet, I want to put a stiffer spring kit in 'em first. Next is Avid Mech's...once I can afford it I will put some nice mavic rims on it. Overall this bike rocks (for everyone, including big guys) if you can find one for cheap like I did....

Purchased At:   REI

Submitted by Mike Grubb a Weekend Warrior from Enterprise, AL, USA

Date Reviewed: February 2, 2005

Strengths:    Light weight for full suspension at this price. Adjustable geometry rear suspension. Brushed aluminum finish - no paint to chip.

Weaknesses:    Derailleurs are low end (Deore and LX). Sometimes does not seem to shift as smoothly as I would like. No lockout on front or rear.

Bottom Line:
My first full suspension bike. Primarily used 3 times per week for some singletrack workouts. Great entry level full suspension bike for the money. Some have mentioned the brakes, but I've not had a problem locking them up (I'm 6' - 210 lbs), however I'm used to riding a 13 year old Raleigh mtn bike and the v-brakes are a great improvement. The large frame and stock stem fit me perfectly. Endoed it a few times, 3' drops, and no problems so far. Excellent first full suspension bike. Overall a 4 because of components.

Favorite Trail:   Parcours - Ft. Rucker

Purchased At:   Dothan Cycle and Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Old Raleigh Technium hardtail; Cannondale F600 hardtail; Trek Liquid

Bike Setup:   Stock except for Eggbeater Candy S pedals.

Submitted by randy jones a Weekend Warrior from lebanon virginia

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    this bike just has a great feel.front & rear suspension work great together.the brushed aluminum finish is just what i was looking for,no gloss paint on this bike.

Weaknesses:    i,d have to say the pull brakes are not suited for this bike.the disc ready hubs are there & this bike needs disc brakes.probably xt/xtr rear derailleur would be a smart upgrade.

Bottom Line:
this bike is a great deal for the money.i love the look the brushed aluminum finish gives.this bike is perfectly suited for cross country riding.we have a lot of uphill here & this bike climbs well,the jekyll also has enough front & rear travel to do light downhill.overall i would recommend this bike to anyone who wants a solid do it all entry level full suspension bike.

Favorite Trail:   iron mountain

Purchased At:   adventure damascus

Similar Products Used:   none this is my first bike

Bike Setup:   added a set of wellgo m3 clipless pedals.

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Medicine Hat, AB, Canada

Date Reviewed: September 9, 2004

Strengths:    I really like everything on this bike. The fork is great. It hasnt leaked so far, except for the grease tahts supposed to come out to oil the fork. I got the brushed aluminum and it looks great. It is very light and durable.

Weaknesses:    The deuraller isnt tuned very well.

Bottom Line:
Definately worth it. I got it on a great sale, 990 CAD b/c the shop is goin out of business. If your a light rider, (150 pounds or less) you dont need to upgrade at all. Don't worry about upgrading except maybe the brakes. I am upgrading to hydros soon, cuz v-brakes are ok, but not even close to hydros. I agree tho, I wouldnt pay 1500 CAD for it cuz the components arent all top of the line, But if you can get it cheaper, go for it.

Favorite Trail:   Black Forest, Fernie Ski/MTB Resort

Purchased At:   Bike and Run

Similar Products Used:   Miele UA 600 DS

Bike Setup:   All Stock

Submitted by Noxx a Downhiller from Broomfield, Colorado

Date Reviewed: July 11, 2004

Strengths:    Great frame, priced right for a lower end full suspension bike. Came stock with some of the best tires I have ever owned.

Weaknesses:    Cheap components, stock front shock is fussy and does not have enough travel. Horrible v-brakes and no lock out on rear shock

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike for the frame hands down. I have already put over $1000 into this bike. I would have bought the Jekell 600 disc but I did not like the glossy red or black frame choice. I also wanted more travel on my front shock so I got a Manitou Sherman Breakout with (170mm of travel).

I hate v-brakes but I did not want to deal with hydros so I went with the Avid mechanical brakes and they have been great and have given me no problems.

The components on this bike are ok but I am going to get XTR's as soon as I can afford it. I think this bike has great value and the frame and stock components are more than enough for the weekend warrior or cross country rider. I just made some upgrades to help get this amazing frame to work with my riding style.

Purchased At:   Performance

Similar Products Used:   Jekell 600 disk, GT I-drive 2.0

Bike Setup:   Upgraded front shock to a Manitou Sherman Breakout Plus, Avid Mechnical disk brakes, Forte Stomp pedals

Submitted by Ed a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2004

Strengths:    Price! If the frame said Intense, Foes, etc. it alone would cost more than the entire bike. Platform valving reduces an otherwise bouncy rear suspension. Disc ready. Low end components (mostly Deore) work surprisingly well.

Weaknesses:    Manitou Axel fork blows! The brakes couldn't lock a tire on glare ice. The seat initally feels good, but becomes uncomfortable after a while.

Bottom Line:
I think this bike is a sweet deal, I did a lot of looking around and even other 5" travel bikes with similar components cost a few hundred more. I did not want to spend a lot on an "all mountain" bike because I did not know how much I would ride it over all the other bikes in my stable, and I knew I would not be able to resist upgrading it. The Maintou Axel had to go right away as it froze up almost solid in cold temperatures (I bought the bike in early December and live in Michigan). The brakes also suck, but I think that is mostly poor levers. I would have tried just adding the Avid levers but I had a set of Avid Mag brakes sitting around that I could not resist putting on as well. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the rest of the components work; the shifting is not far behind the XT/XTR on my Ibis. With an upgrade to a Marzocchi fork the suspension is super plush now. Rough, frozen ground just disappears, and small drops (less than 3 feet) are effortless. Pretty much what one would expect with about 5" of travel.

Bottom line; as I mentioned there are a few faults with the specs, but most of the parts work well. That is to be expected when buying the bottom level bike. I still think the value is there because the same frame is used throughout the Jekyll line. $200 more will get you the 600, which has a Manitou Black amoung other upgrades. I don't regret not getting it, but if you don't want to upgrade the fork immediately I would recommend considering the 600.

Favorite Trail:   Potawatomi