Cannondale Jekyll 1000 Freeride Full Suspension

4.83/5 (36 Reviews)

Submitted by Doug a Weekend Warrior

Date Reviewed: May 25, 2012

Strengths:    Plush suspension
Light
Cheap (used)
Reliable
Tough

Weaknesses:    Proprietary shock (working great now & easy to rebuild but it may be a challenge to replace if this is ever necessary)
Head angle is a bit steep compared to more modern all-mountain bikes
Changing SPV pressure on the shock is harder than it should be

Bottom Line:
I bought my 2004 Jekyll 1000 in 2010. I mostly ride it for less than 2 hours at a time in technical forest singletrack. It is great for jumps / drops of 3 to 4 feet, probably more but I personally wouldn't say use it for fast and technical downhill riding.

I have rebuilt the shock and the Lefty. They are both relatively simple to rebuild at home without special tools.

This bike can be set up very plush for roots, rocks and downhill and you are still able to control the amount of suspension activity during on climbs and fire roads by twisting the rebound knobs on the shock and fork. They are both easy to reach from the saddle.

I prefer a plush feel to the suspension and the suspension can be set up to float over chatter bumps - wonderful!

Because of the orientation of the valve checking the SPV pressure in the shock (the lockout / anti-bob feature) requires you to disconnect the shock from the swingarm. This is not difficult but it is fussy and it would be great if you could just connect the pump like you can do with the compression valve.

I have the shock mount set to the "Freeride" end of the adjustment which slackens the head angle and lowers the bottom bracket. However, with the bottom bracket set at about 13.25 inches the head angle only slackens to about 70 degrees which is 2 to 3 degrees steeper than today's "All-Mountain" bikes.

However, with the 1.5 inch headset you could buy a fork with a conventional 1 1/8 or tapered steerer and use a Cane Creek angleset headset for another degree or so of slackness. Not sure I will bother doing this with an 8 year old bike.

With the bottom bracket @ 13.25 inches pedal strikes are infrequent but can occur when pedaling over roots/rocks. I don't suppose this is much different from more modern bikes. I have replaced the large crankring with a bashguard though because 1. I can't imaging using the large chainring for the riding I do and 2. the large chainring will take a beating if the bottom bracket is low.

Despite the bottom bracket being set low standover height and seating position seems a bit high (medium frame - I have a 30" inseam).

The bike is extremely reliable. It needed some work when I bought it but just regular maintenance / rebuilding that had been put off for a while. It has never left me stranded.

The rims work great tubeless with Stan's and seem to be bulletproof.

I think the brakes are powerful for 6" rotors but sometimes I would like more bite, especially at the back.

I do detect some lateral flex from both the front and rear wheels during hard cornering and deflections. I'm not sure if it's at the axle or the rim / spokes. The rear quick release is only 9mm and newer bikes have larger axles and are more stiff in this area. The frame and swingarm mount are very thick and stiff and the welding is beautiful.

The black charcoal finish is very durable (despite several crashes) and classy.

It weighs a bit less than 29lbs as I have it set up. This seems very competitive with current "All-Mountain" 5 inch full suspension bikes. (Actually both front and rear suspension are over 5 inches, the rear suspension is 5.5 inches).

This bike is a great buy used for a technical cross-country / all-mountain / enduro rider because it is reliable and easy to maintain / rebuild and most Cannondale parts for the bike are still available.

Favorite Trail:   Puslinch Lake

Purchased At:   private seller

Bike Setup:   Shimano Saint dual-control brake/shift levers (I broke one of the original XT levers by over-tightening it)
New Shimano M760 XT rear derailleur (the original XT snapped in the mud)
Maxxis Minion single-ply DHF tires (60a durometer rear, super-tacky 30 front) - run tubeless with Stan's
Thompson lay-back seatpost
BBG bashguard
ODI Rogue grips
Easton monkeylite handlebar

Submitted by Lee a Weekend Warrior from Newcastle Australia

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2011

Strengths:    XT dual control brakes/shifters, balance of uphill and downhill ability, looks horn, lack of maintenance required to keep it running, suspension, tubeless wheels.

Weaknesses:    Does not comme with full length shift cables, low spec cranks

Bottom Line:
This bike does it all. Before this I rode a Giant NRS 1 (still ride it occasionally) because of its pedalling efficiency, but soon began to find its downhill limits. Since I got the 2004 Jekyll 1000 the Giant has been ridden mostly on the road because I can still climb everything on the Jekyll, and it is so good down hill. XT dual control brake/shifters are awesome. You can easily change gear while braking, brakes require no bleeding/adjusting, and shifting is great since I put full length cables on. 130mm Lefty fork with TPC is super stiff, good at climbing and great at descending. 135mm Manitou Swinger shock with SPV resists bobbing nicely, gets heaps of traction when climbing, and feels terrific down hill. This bike is perfect as a do it all trail bike. It climbs well, it descends well and it requires only basic maintenance between rides. Bought the bike new in 2004 and have no plans to replace it with something new.

Favorite Trail:   Awaba MTB Park

Purchased At:   St Ives Cycles

Bike Setup:   FSA V drive external bearing BB cranks, 400mm Ritchey seat post (soon to be Gravity Dropper Turbo), full length shift cables, 8" Shimano front disc, Maxxis High Roller UST front tyre, Maxxis Larson UST rear tyre, mud flap protecting front derailieur

Submitted by jekyll a Weekend Warrior from toronto,ON,Canada

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2010

Bottom Line:
great all around bike...have spare road tires

Favorite Trail:   all

Purchased At:   sporting life

Submitted by evmeter a Cross Country Rider from Dublin, Ohio, USA

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2010

Strengths:    Solid frame, responds well.

Weaknesses:    brakes, cranks, bottom bracket

Bottom Line:
Great bike - even after all the years ahs been a blast to ride and never let me down. Takes all the abuse and keepsn rolling.

Favorite Trail:   Downeyville

Purchased At:   Sierra Bikes

Similar Products Used:   HD Super V but broke the frame - the replaced as advertised no charge.

Bike Setup:   Race face, thompson seat, XTR, Looking for new brake set-up...suggestions welcome

Submitted by The JD a Weekend Warrior from Gainesville, FL, USA

Date Reviewed: January 20, 2009

Strengths:    Frame is solid holds steady even with the beating I have put on it. Factory components are decent for casual riders and the options to upgrade are limitless.

Weaknesses:    Front fork if a fatty is really weak in performance. The lefty is a step up but still a 100mm travel can only offer so much.

Bottom Line:
Great bike outperforms the kona's and treks I have tested. I cant say enough about the frame design even 5 years after being made its styling and feel fit me better then the scapel, rush, and other bikes in the category.

Favorite Trail:   San Felasco

Bike Setup:   Easton Carbon fiber handlebar, seatpost. Juicy brakes, carbon pedals. Lefty 100mm fork, Fox rear shock.

Submitted by Nick Graham from Victoria, B.C. Canada

Date Reviewed: February 3, 2007

Strengths:    Very light, yet durable. I use this bike for cross-country, freeride and I've even used it for dirt jumping before I got a proper dirtjumper. The Jekyll has proven itself to be a great bike by being light enough for cross-country yet tough enough to endure trips to Whistler.

Weaknesses:    When put into the "freeride" position the bottom braket is too low to the ground.

Bottom Line:
Great bike. If you get the chance to buy or even test ride one of these bikes, go for it!

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kikapu, Kona Stinky, Devinci Hucker, Brodie Hellion.

Bike Setup:   Eight inch hayes mx-2 mechanical disc brakes. Mavic xm117 front rim with alexrim dm24 rear rim. Deore lx rear derailler, and deore front derailler. All parts except frame, fork and cranks are off of a 2004 brodie hellion (other than the odd specialty part).

Submitted by Anthony Hocking a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne, VIC, Australia

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2006

Strengths:    Light for its capabilities, endless travel, efficient climer, chews up big hits and rough terain, Lefty fork is sweet, super solid frame. Looks like a lamborghini on 2 wheels.

Weaknesses:    original specs included XT derailler & XT dual-controllers. Not nearly as good as SRAM X9 equivelant. Eason EA50 Handlebars too wide.

Bottom Line:
This is an amazing "all in one" bike. Its brilliant for XC, the best thing ive ridden on trails, and can follow the downhill boys on most runs. For someone who wants to do everything, this is the bike that is capable, and very forgiving if your not an expert rider.

Favorite Trail:   Glentress, Scotland

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign, Rocky Mountain ETSX-70

Bike Setup:   SRAM X9 derailler & shifters. Took 2" off riser bar. Original Hutch Scorpion tyres are rubbish for most terain.

Submitted by Denis van der Wal a Weekend Warrior from Utrecht Netherlands

Date Reviewed: December 9, 2005

Strengths:    It was just the bike I needed ! Handling, looks and solid as a rock !

Weaknesses:    Bearings on the rearwheel

Bottom Line:
I can go out with freeride pedals and the seat 3" lower for an ultimate city-ride . Or set it up for nice trails. Even ride marathons with it ( after I throw away the ciggies ). Very, and I mean VERY fast on singletrails and I can sit and enjoy the surroundings on a very fast downhill track. Only thing is, I'm still looking for the balance when doin' airtime.

Favorite Trail:   lage vuursche

Purchased At:   rijwielpaleis

Bike Setup:   Standard, except for a 660 mm handlebar. Bit more pressure in the rearshock cause I damaged too much the big chainwheel.

Submitted by drew martin a Weekend Warrior from cape carteret north carolina

Date Reviewed: October 24, 2005

Strengths:    weight-handling/tracking- legendary c-dale frame strength- overall decent purchase

Weaknesses:    bloody fox float rc rear shock, "has to be trunion mounted fox float- special make for jekyll" as quoted by c-dale rep

Bottom Line:
I really wish the rear shock was not an issue because the bike is otherwise fantastic. I must be far and tell you I am no doubt pushing the envelope on what the engineers anticipated for weight of a rider. I am 240lbs. So- heavier riders may want to either find a ride that better accomidates yo big behind, or just stick to a hard tail. BTW- the lock-out on the shock was the first thing to fail... It is not like I am doing any spectacular drops either..
The lefty fork is much stronger than its appearance suggests. The illusion is it will track funny but that is not so.. It will take all you can give it and bounce back- and sticks where you drive it. The lockout for the fork is located well and handy in some situations.
I wished the brakes didn't make so much noise, but I had heard about coda beforehand so all I am doing is confirming they are screamers. One of my riding buddies thought I had run over some sort of bird the first time he stopped abrubtly in front of me! If I would have had a grill full of feathers I probably could have convinced him it was so!
The bike is great. Both c-dale reps and fox shocks reps have been good searching for remedy of the downfalls. I now have a back-up shock and I would recommend you do too before going off on a weekend of riding. I will however read some reviews to educate myself on hard-tails.. The jekyll will be mothballed for the ht I decide on because of the shock issues... I like my red meats too much to diet to the weight the shock can handle!

Favorite Trail:   haven't found it yet!

Purchased At:   online

Similar Products Used:   more than enough to know what i want, not enough to realize one major fallback. Rear shock special make for jekyll, no other will work. So you are not goiing to upgrade, just replace/rebuild- which means downtime.

Bike Setup:   all stock except for saddle- c-dale stock is hard as a rock

Submitted by AP a Cross Country Rider from PRINCETON, NJ

Date Reviewed: October 8, 2005

Strengths:    Solid frame for all mountain riding. Lefty has been good to me through thick and thin. Great climber as well as descender. Bike has made it easy to negotiate technical terrain. Frame is beefy enough for all mountain, but not over built for XC.

Weaknesses:    Difficult to remove front wheel when you need to. Rear shock is in the most awkward position in frame which makes it difficult to pump air into it. Ugrades/replacement of rear shock limited due to design of frame/positioning of shock.

Bottom Line:
AS FAR AS XC AND ALL MOUNTAIN GOES, THIS BIKE HAS DONE IT ALL. FRAME AND LEFTY HAVE STOOD THROUGH THE TEST OF TIME AND ABUSE. MUD, SNOW, ROCKS, STREAMS, DINGS, CRASHES, AND RAIN. THE LEFTY "FORK" IS FINALLY SHOWING SIGNS OF USE AND ABUSE, BUT I BLAME THAT ON MY LACK OF MAINTANENCE. THIS FRAME HAS DELIVERED A STABLE AND RESPONSIVE FEEL TO THE BIKE AND THE LEFTY HAS BEEN A PLEASURE TO USE AS IT HAS TAKEN THE BITE OUT EVERYTHING THROWN AT IT WHETHER XC, ALL MOUNTAIN TERRAIN OR URBAN RIDING. THREE YEARS OF RIDING 3-5 TIMES A WEEK DURING SEASON AND FRAME/LEFTY HAVE HELD UP. OBVIOUSLY COMPENENTS WEAR DOWN/BREAK AND HAVE TO BE REPLACED, BUT REAR (FOX RL) AND LEFTY ARE STILL IN ONE PIECE. I WOULD SAY THAT AS AN ALL MOUNTAIN BIKE THE JEKYLL HAS MET ALL OF MY EXPECTATIONS IN THE AREAS OF - WEIGHT, CLIMBING, DESCENDING, HANDLING, BB HEIGHT, FRAME ALIGNMENT, AND ADJUSTABILITY. IT IS AMAZING WHAT A GOOD COMPONENT SPEC CAN DUE FOR THIS FRAME AS THE RESULT IS ONE AWESOME MACHINE. I ASSUME THAT THE JEKYLL WILL FADE OUT UNDER THE SHADOW OF THE PROPHET, BUT ITS TRACK RECORD WILL LIVE ON. I PLAN ON MOVING ON TO A TURNER FIVE SPOT, BUT I WILL ALWAYS APPRECIATE WHAT THIS BIKE HAS DONE FOR ME AS IT (ESPECIALLY THE LEFTY) WILL SURELY BE MISSED.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Sugar (P.O.S!!!)

Bike Setup:   RF LP CRANKS, TIME PEDALS, SRAM X9 REAR, EASTON CARBON BAR, THOMSON SEAT POST, HAYES, UST CONTINENTAL VERTICAL PROS, ODI GRIPS.

Submitted by jeremy swanson from milford

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2005

Strengths:    does what it's told. Great responce and handles drops well. Great overall bike.

Bottom Line:
I love the bike so far, and the lockout of the rear suspension helped out a lot.

Purchased At:   onion river

Submitted by darrick a Weekend Warrior from san jose, ca usa

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2005

Strengths:    climbs extremely well.... descends even better... lefty is the best i have ever used so far....

Weaknesses:    stock crank is cheap...

Bottom Line:
bottom line this bike is for bike lovers. forpeople who love to ride... and ride hard....... u can jump.. u can do a lot... ahah just ride. its what the bike was made for

Favorite Trail:   Powerline

Purchased At:   mikes bikes

Similar Products Used:   blur..enduro..liquid 20... palomino...

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    Great all mountain bike. Lefty is a plus. Handles any trail with ease.

Bottom Line:
One of the best mountain bikes I have ever ridden!!! Man does this machine take a beating!! I have put around a thousand miles on this thing in less than three months without a single problem until a freak incident last week. I collided with a couple on a tandem mountain bike as they were coming down. We slammed into each other as I was crossing paths on a perpendicular trail. All three of us were ejected from our bikes. I landed in a nearby stream. The woman on the tandem rolled down the trail until she crashed into a tree. Luckily nobody was seriously injured. During the crash, my right brake lever tore off. The brake and shifter cables also severed in the front. After picking up the pieces and limping back to the parking lot to dry off I noticed that the front brake rotor was mangled and the rim bent after several spokes broke off. Taking bike back to shop for repairs. I still rate this bike high because the damage would of happened with any bike.

Favorite Trail:   All of them

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro. Santa Cruz SL

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by Marios a Weekend Warrior from Cyprus

Date Reviewed: October 20, 2004

Strengths:    GOES UP AND FLIES DOWN. Putting everything else aside this is the main strength of this bike

Weaknesses:    1. Need to remove the link between the shock and the swingarm to access the rear shock valve (but it is still a quick straight forward process)

2. Need to overpump the SPV side of the rear shock in order to keep air after the pump is removed from the valve.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up (6 month) review to the one I posted on the 10th of May 04.

By now I can confirm that the Jekyll is indeed a perfect all-rounder. I only used my hardtail once, since I got the Jekyll, during the 24hrs of Adrenaline race in Canmore Canada during August. I still climb anything me and the gang used to climb with our hardtails. In any climb, exept for the steepest technical uphill of a true XC course, the Jekyll will go up without any feeling of pedal power loss.

On the downhill the suspension practically flattens all the "bads" on the trail. I didn't do any freeriding or jumping but the jekyll makes rough, badass rocky trails ridiculously easy. It also tracks straight while being very manouvrable in tight singletrack

... I am realy curious how the Prophet handles...

Bike Setup:   geometry = 80% XC
Changed stock tires

Submitted by Scott Lowe a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: September 15, 2004

Strengths:    This is a nice bike. The Lefty fork is very sweet, with smooth, lengthy travel (I was a Rock Shock only type of guy…..not any more). The rear shock is fitted in a housing with fully adjustable geometry, which may not seem to be a big deal (I first thought nothing of it until I started messed with it), but it does make a difference! The stock wheels and disc break system are good quality, and the frame is strong, fairly light, and is forged in the USA.

Weaknesses:    The free hub (the slotted peg that the gear cog fits onto) has broken twice over a 650 mile/3 month period. This is truly a huge bit*h! And I mean HUGE (getting the part I mean). The closed bearing in this housing opens, and the bearings shred themselves-the rear tire starts to wobble-and then the disk break rubs and it’s just a mess! It’s only about a $30.00 part, but good luck finding a local bike shop in San Diego that has this part on hand! It basically sets you back about 5 working days for the order from Cannondale, and if your not lucky (like me) you may get stuck out in the middle of sh*t hole, USA (oh, sorry, El Cajon/Santee back country) with a busted bike that you can’t even push.

Some of the components are a little lame…. LX and Deore. The Hutchinson Scorpion Tubeless Tires are a bit loose in my opinion, so I would suggest at the very least swapping out the rear one right off the bat.

The handle bar/ seat stem could be upgraded, but they aren’t horrible.

Don’t get me wrong, nothing on this bike is crappy (except for the free hub on the rear wheel), but some things could use an upgrade.

Also, it’s a bit tuff to mount a computer on the Lefty, but all you need to do is buy a rear wheel mounting computer; no big deal.

Bottom Line:
Hey, this bike is what it is, and its sick. Overall, It’s the best bike I’ve owned, and that’s saying a lot b/c I’m comparing it to my other newer mountain bike, a Specialized St-jumper FSR Pro Disc.

I have only had one problem with it (the free hub thing). And although this is a problem to me, it seems like it is just a weird thing, and does not happen to a lot of people. Plus its not a $$$$ problem.

The Lefty Max is surly a front shock evolution, and I don’t think I’ll ever go back to a traditional forked shock. The frame is true, the bikes hardware is top notch, and the rear shock system with the adjustable geometry is tits. If you don’t have the XTR components lying around the house, or on an unused bike hooked up with XTR that you are willing to cannibalize, there’s really no need to upgrade anything. Off the sales floor, it’s good to go for the average rider. It looks sharp, and is a comfortable cross country/downhill combination bike.

All in all, if you are thinking about getting this bike, you should. Nothing else to say about it.

Favorite Trail:   Mission Trails, Tierra Santa