Cannondale Gemini 900 Freeride Full Suspension

4.7/5 (37 Reviews)

Submitted by Michael Gotfryd a Weekend Warrior from Birmingham, Alabama

Date Reviewed: September 12, 2007

Strengths:    Amazing Suspension, can take a real beating. Anything i think of doing the bike hasn't broken. the only damage my bike has god was a broken chain from a late shift on my part. this bike is made to jump off a mountain and can do it with ease.

Weaknesses:    This bike is better for people who have a medium to heavy frame them self's. the bike is good for someone who is 185lbs. I weight 150 and have to make several modifications to the suspension to fit my weight. The bike is on the heavy side which could be a strength or a weakness

Bottom Line:
This bike is amazing. Now no bike is invincible but this is pretty dam close. I've gone on 50 mile expert trails when i had know idea what the hell i was doing and the bike wasn't touched. I went off the side of the south rim trail at oak mountain and tumbled 1600 feet to the main road, my bike was scratched but in perfect riding condition.

Favorite Trail:   Oak Mountains B.U.M.P Trail

Purchased At:   EBay

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Fat Possum XLT

Bike Setup:   Manitou Breakout TPC 6 inch travel front fork, Fox Vanilla Rear Shock, Derailleurs, shifters, and crank are Shimano XT

Submitted by alex labrador from california

Date Reviewed: July 17, 2007

Strengths:    its the best thing in the whole world

Weaknesses:    the brakes are too close to the fork

Bottom Line:
all i have to say it will do its job well

Favorite Trail:   stage coast

Purchased At:   old fellow that needed money

Similar Products Used:   NOthing compares to this product

Bike Setup:   i dont know

Submitted by Ryan from Overland park, ks, usa

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2007

Strengths:    Great bang for your buck. My first full suspension bike with disc brakes. I love it, will take anything I can throw at it. I been racing in some XC races around my parts and it the heaviest bike out there. But its not an XC, But its got the weight of a AM bike, but can ride like FR/DH bike. This thing rocks. I don't know what other people are saying about heavy its a pretty light rig for what it is.

Weaknesses:    Well I came from riding platforms so clip ins had to go. The brakes are quiet sometimes and then other its like an animal being killed.

Bottom Line:
This bike is great I love it. If you want to ride hit just about anything and ride anything for that matter this will do it. But I have the bug now so I just can help to equip my rig with upgraded parts. I want Industry 9 enduro wheel set gone tubeless, thompson seatpost and stem, Monkeylite composite dh bars, e-13 drs, fox dhx 5.0 coil, (titanium spring if I really am feeling like spending money) and I guess thats it. Maybe a white seat cuz when I get up by the time I am back down my seat is awfully warm on em'

Purchased At:   bike source

Similar Products Used:   Only real FR/DH bike I have rode.

Bike Setup:   Nixon fork, Vanilla R, Crank bro 5050, XT rear der,Lx front der, WTB lazer DH pro, Xm321, 2.35 high rollers hayes hfx -9 8" rotors. LX shifters.

Submitted by Morten Janum a Downhiller from Randers

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2007

Strengths:    This bike is GREAT everything about is great:
- light
- two settings for rwt 150-170 mm
- look great
- great welds
- single pivot
- 66.light
- also comes with a great kit(66.ligt...)

Weaknesses:    - Could be more stiff in the back end but isn't anything you notice if you're not looking for it.
- bottom bracket could be lower.

Bottom Line:
This bike rock at everything I can bring it to all the freeride spots as well as the downhill spots!
And i can even pedal it on an xc track afterwards or pedal it to the top.

This bike handles extremely well in both rwt settings but if you "drop" it to 6" instead of the full 7" this bike will get quicker responding to the track and tricking.
As well the bb wil get lowered drastically.

I've ridden this bike in france and it is soo much fun on the uphill sections aswell as the fr and dh sections. I can pedal up with the xc people and beat the dh at their own game on the way down again :D

This bike is for everybody dh, fr and even trail riders bearing in mind that it needs to have the right specs!

this bike incourages you to go faster, higer and it'll save your ass if you mess up with its forgiving back end.

I am so happy that my stinky got knicked or else i wouldn't have had the insurance giving me this baby!

Purchased At:   Natex

Similar Products Used:   Kona stinky, Gemini 900 2005, scott octane, banshee chap

Bike Setup:   Gemini 900 frame 2006, 66.ligt, white halo freedoms, hope pro 2 hubs in red, fox dhx 5.0, maxxis minion, hope stem sram groupset and so on.

Submitted by ALLEN RICHARDS a Weekend Warrior from ST.GEORGE, UT, USA

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2007

Strengths:    Spec'd awesome, great geometry, surprisingly little to zero pedal bob. It feels and rides solid, and can take way more than my nerves dare to give it. This bike is bombproof!

Weaknesses:    Honestly I haven't had really any problems with the bike that would be considered weaknesses. It's been mostly an adjustment to this type of bike from riding a cross country rig. My rear hub's free wheel is already toast but it broke on a trail that has broken all of my friends free wheels as well, five so far.

Bottom Line:
This is a bike built sturdy, I'm a burly man of about 230 lbs. and this bike has been a dream for me. It's just so solid. I'm primarily a trail rider here in So. Utah where trails are pretty rough but my buddies talked me into getting a freeride bike. I've done a few drops, nasty lines, and stunts and this bike eats them up and begs for more. This bike is definitely overkill for me, but freeride bikes are overkill for about 90% of those who ride them. Better to have more than you need than less and worrying about things breaking. I took my XCE out for a spin and it felt very firm and uncomfortable after rolling my gemini for a few weeks. I love the comfort of 170 mm travel front and rear, it's just so smooth. I'll probably never go back to anything under 150 mm of travel. Due to the slack head angle you've got to fight to keep your front wheel down on the steep climbs, but the angle's worth it about everywhere else but the steepest of climbs. If you don't mind pushing hard up hills ( 30 lb. bike or a 40 lb. bike, a hill's a hill and is going to get you outta breath) to enjoy floating, flying, or hucking down them, then this bike is for you. I highly recommend this bike!

Favorite Trail:   desert hills

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Super V-100, Turner XCE, and a Gary Fisher Sugar 29'er.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 66 light, Race face DH cranks and BB, Sram x-7 shifters and rear derailleur, shimano deore front derailleur, Hayes HFX 9 levers and brakes, beautiful Thomson stem, WTB laser, blackspine chain guide, and a gravity dropper seat post. The gravity dropper is the best thing to come to mt. biking since suspension and disc brakes. It just rocks to be able to have full leg extension for climbs and without having to stop and drop your post you can just flip the lever to get the seat down for the crazy stuff. I won't ride without one again.

Submitted by Rob L a Weekend Warrior from P.V. CA U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2007

Strengths:    agressive stance, good feeling geometry

Weaknesses:    sissy rider, crappy hubs, grabby breaks.

Bottom Line:
this bike is awsome! it will make you hit the hills with ferocity you did not know you had, but tough up because uphill riding takes a little more oomph. at speed the handling is tight, and suspension is forgiving. great for anyone who wants to test the limits!

Favorite Trail:   downieville

Purchased At:   local shop

Similar Products Used:   1988 cannodale beast of east

Bike Setup:   04 gemini 900 team upgraded w/xt+xtr

Submitted by Mitchell Nol a Downhiller from Grand Rapids

Date Reviewed: February 25, 2007

Strengths:    It looked cool before it broke in half!

Weaknesses:    Bad pedaling effeciency, blows at jumping,

Bottom Line:
I am only 135 pounds and this is a fn heavy hit bike. I was hitting a 12 foot gap and landed it perfectly, but the mother f'er broke in half. My friend was hitting the jump on his cross country bike, and I had my downhill bike and it broke. I am super pist and Cannondale wouldnt warrenty it for some reason. I am now out $900 for the new Banshee Scream I bought. I needed that money to pay for gas damit!

Favorite Trail:   State HosBital

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Foes DHS, Banshee scream, V 10

Bike Setup:   Super T, X-9, Fox rc, Azonic outlaw, E13

Submitted by dirtdigler a Downhiller from sydney australia

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2007

Strengths:    sweet ride , build strength,sinple single pivot design, 12mm thru rear axl,.agile, cannondale quality

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
First few rides I was having difficulty with the set up the BB was a good 50mm higher than my previous bike making me feel top heavy and unbalanced , always feeling like another endo was around the next drop off. I had some advice from LBS one of the guys there races his Gemini , he recomended I drop back to the 150mm travel setting. It dropped the BB hight and made the bike feel 300% better through corners and over drops ,slackening off the head angle making for a much more balanced ride , I would recomend it to all Gemini riders it feels like a totaly different bike
Also I was not happy with the fox vanilla , first trying a foxDHX5.0 then the Marzocchi ROCO which I have now fitted with a 550 Manitou spring , the bike feels sooo good now . I have not lost anything with loosing an inch of travel no bottom outs and now a very stable bike.

Favorite Trail:   Red hill

Purchased At:   cannondale factory

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi 66 RC2X forks 170mm Marzocchi ROCO RC rear shock carbon bars grind lock on grips sram x9 shimano 7701 chain shimano cassette mavic325 wheelset maxxis minion2.5 Truvativ hussefelt stem and cranks Avid code's + 8" rotors

Submitted by Galbraith Rider a Weekend Warrior from Bellingham, Wa - USA

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2006

Strengths:    A lot of bike for the money. Stout build, lightweight, nimble, simple and affective design, burly swingarm- designed by Kawasaki maybe. Brakes, shifter pods and rear derailleur compliment the bike nicely.

Weaknesses:    Front Fork is iffy; just not impressed with the Breakout. Grips, what were they thinking with these grips!?! Seatpost has got to go. Bottom bracket is fine for dry climates but vulnerable to wet, muddy conditions; and dont even come near it with a hose! Watch for lateral swingarm slop- C'dale shipped a few Gemini's with pivot bolts too long (more detail below).

Bottom Line:
Plagued with issues right out the gate (more to do with my LBS than Cannondale), except while tending to these issues they noticed the swingarm had a bit of lateral "play". Evidently Cannondale shipped a load of Gemini 900's with the swingarm pivot bolt exactly 1MM too long. This causes both end caps to bottom out against the bolt (and "appear" torqued) before sucking up the slop between the bearings and swingarm. LBS to file 1mil off the pivot bolt to acquire proper tolerances.
Doesn't pedal as well as I thought, however great on the DH. This bike likes to be ridden FAST without a doubt. Sucks up all the rocky terrain while maintaining Mach1 speeds. A little squirrly at the slow-speed, gound-level technical stuff. Headtube angle is a bit too steep IMO making it more difficult to balance and track in a straight line at crawling speeds (think high, narrow skinnys and ladders). Great bike for the value. If you drop anything over 4' you'll want to increase your spring rates though. Not the best for the technical Shore style riding but easily makes up for in the eye-watering downhill and medium to large drops.

Favorite Trail:   Evolution, Cheech&Chongs (Shaun's Trail), 911

Purchased At:   LBS on the southside

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, GT Zaskar, Kona Stinky

Bike Setup:   Stock

Submitted by J B a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2006

Strengths:    Stiff, well balanced, confidence inspiring, panzer tough, mucho bike for not so mucho money.

Weaknesses:    Dodgy graphics

Bottom Line:
I've always been a bit of a boutique tart and gone for expensive brands. I honestly thought all cannondale riders were a bit night crawler dogger styli at the local beauty spot, cheap waterproof, "margerine if you don't mind" kind of people.
I've owned a few good high end machines over the years and the quality of the gemini is without doubt comprable.
If your reading this then you know what type of rig your after, and the reality is that this bike is probably better than your mates niche bike of the same ilk that he/she strapped themselves up for.
If you enjoy riding over and off anything you come across without worry and still want reasonable climbing performance then the gemini really is worth consideration. Just don't expect as much kudos on the trail as your mate gets on there " only eight people work for the company" bike, even though you know they can't ride for toffee.

Favorite Trail:   Pitch spill

Purchased At:   throne

Similar Products Used:   tmtm

Bike Setup:   stock

Submitted by dan a Weekend Warrior from birmingham, uk

Date Reviewed: August 5, 2006

Strengths:    lightweight hardhitting mountain goat

Bottom Line:
Damn this bike is fine, made up for downhilling but i've got iron legs that pump this back up the hills as well. Great for airing and although i could of bought a judge FR1 for what i've spent all in all now i love the single pivot design and have had no problems whatsoever. I trashed the back end of my prophet and needed something a little more robust so i checked this one out first.

Favorite Trail:   witches trail, fort bill

Purchased At:   birmingham

Similar Products Used:   prophet, enduro, many hardtails

Bike Setup:   boxxer rides and Fox DHX 5.0 air rear shock, hope 6ti brakes, SRAM XO rear derailer and single ring wit DMR chain device, 2.7 tyre front 2.5 rear slowreezee's

Submitted by greg godsey a Weekend Warrior from kingsport tn

Date Reviewed: July 16, 2006

Strengths:    the frame is very strong and light.i have the 2006 900,and the marzocchi 66 lightis awesome,hayes nines great,sram shifters very good.

Weaknesses:    seat post, hubs and paint . i really wish they would annodize this awesome frame.but great deal anyway....

Bottom Line:
this bike is just as good as bikes costing twice as much.it is intended for freeriding but it can climb well and mine ways a mere over 30 pounds .it will fly on singletrack especially with the hadleys.it can handle 15 footers and the 800 dollar marzocchi that it comes with is just iceing on the cake .this could very well be the ultimate trail bike .GO BUY ONE ..........

Favorite Trail:   any

Purchased At:   larrys cycles

Similar Products Used:   bullit,vpfree,nomad,coilair,trek 77,

Bike Setup:   marzocchi 66 light,thomson x4 stem and seat post,hadley 108 hubs,easton ea 70 bar.sun and mavic rims husselfelt crank,howitser bb,FOX DH AIR.

Submitted by Tim from Northern New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2006

Strengths:    THIS IS A ONE YEAR UPDATE FOR THE 2005 GEMINI 900
Flippin sweet geometry in the 150mm travel postition.
The Sherman Breakout Plus is super smooth and supple.
Wheels are light, strong, and stiff.

Weaknesses:    On the Extra Large frame, the 170mm travel position makes the frame geometry to steep.
I've had swingarm issues, like keeping it tight.
My rear HFX-9 went dumb on me 6 months after purchase. It was under warentty, but still, be warned.
Had to replace the fork lowers, the bushings came sized incorrectly, this was also a warrenty thing.

Bottom Line:
After 1 year of dealing with warrenty isuues, misized fork bushings, and alot of messing with my swingarm to keep it tight, I'm finnally starting to enjoy this bike wholeheartedly. I've got it set up with more of an all mountain build, and it works great. This bike is capable of just about anything in the hands of an experienced rider, and is still light and efficent enough to climb for you thrills. One thing i've really noticed is that the geometry changes drasticly between the 2 travel settings. There is about a 1 inch difference in bottom bracket height between the 170 and 150mm positions. The 150 being the lower one. I've been running my bike in the 150 position now and it gives the bike a much more balanced feel. I would highly recomend that people use this position if you have an extra large fame, it lowers the bike down for a better ride for us tall guys. So all hassels aside, this bike still freaking rocks. I might expand my quver to include a more trail oriented bike (say a prophet or a rush?), but this bike will remain as my big hit trail bike for as long as it functions. 5 flaming chillies baby!

Favorite Trail:   On Belay

Purchased At:   Strait from cannondale

Similar Products Used:   2004 Specialized Enduro Pro, Cannondale Prophet (Demo), 2006 Specialized Enduro Expert(Demo), Specialized Stumpjumper Expert (Demo)

Bike Setup:   Extra-Large 2005 Cannodale Gemini 900, Sherman Breakout + TPC, 2006 Fox DHX 5.0 AIR, Hayes HFX-9 HD brakes with 8 inch rotors, Shimano Hone double crankset (22-32), SRAM X-9 RD and X-7 shifters.

Submitted by Can't Jump for sh*t a Weekend Warrior from UK

Date Reviewed: May 6, 2006

Strengths:    Stealth Looks. All round ability. Value

Weaknesses:    Stock stem on 2004 model too high.

Bottom Line:
The Supension at both ends is lush and there is little bob when climbing (as long as you pedal in smooth circles). The sherman breakout is especially plush and soaks up huge hucks and boulders at speed and the 130mm travel is superb for climbing. The stock HFX9 brakes are great- I added fibrax hoses and dangerboy levers, more for pimp than purpose, though the improvement is noticable and worth £80 if you can afford it. The geometry of the stock stem is all wrong, making the front end too tall with the 170mm travel and high rise bar- the Raceface upgrade is definately worth it. This bike has talked me into hucking and downhill as it makes big stuff so much fun and pushes you to ride beyond your normal limits. Top class bike for ridiculous value- you'd normally pay this for a frame alone. Look no further. Out of the box this bike is amazing but spending a bit on upgrades produces one of the best alround bikes known to man.

Favorite Trail:   The downhill that makes me forget the climb