Banshee Bikes Wildcard Freeride Full Suspension

4.93/5 (30 Reviews)

• Adjustable geometry: Go from Freeride to Bike-Park to suit your riding environment
  • Adjustable travel: Go from 6.5" to 5" to suit your style
  • 1.5 headtube: Strength and versatility to use zero stack or adjustable headangle cups
  • Hydroformed 7005 AL Tubes: Gusseting formed into the tube for added strength with less weight
  • ISCG2005: Latest standard in ISCG
  • Full length seat tube: A neccessity for freeriding where you need to pedal up before bombing down
  • Internal ribbed stays: Increased stiffness for railing burms and sticking landings
  • Front derailleur compatible: Campable of using multiple setups from chainguide, to dual ring w/bash guard

Submitted by Roberto (Betão) a Weekend Warrior from Cuiabá, MT Brasil

Date Reviewed: June 16, 2011

Strengths:    geometria acertada para o tipo de uso, 6,5" para Freeride, urban, longas pedaladas e 5" para Dirt. Quadro extremamente forte.

Weaknesses:    Eu não vejo nada de fraqueza neste quadro. Se analizarmos o peso talvez seja um pequeno problema, mas pedalando ela se comporta como um DODGE de tão macio e a segurança do quadro é espetacular

Bottom Line:
A bike é muito boa para quase tudo como diz seu nome. Tem limitação no all mountain pois é pesada, mas um rolé de 20km se a trilha não for de muitas subidas vai bem.
Uma delicia descendo escadarias mas nada competitiva, pura diversão.
Em trilhas de freeride a bike esta sempre a mão e sua geometria agressiva da muita confiança, vá sem medo, mas se puder dar uma aliviada na aterrizagem ela pousa macio.
É a minha bike atual e seria melhor se fosse tamanho P, pois tenho 1,72m mas mesmo sendo um quadro grande o selim desce muito facilitando manobras.

Favorite Trail:   Chapada dos Guimarães

Cambio SRAM X0 short cage
Cambio dianteiro SRAM X9

Submitted by schlockinz a Weekend Warrior from OKC, OK, USA

Date Reviewed: February 20, 2011

Strengths:    Stiffness of the frame, awesome platform for the shock, ability to choose rear travel, the fact that it climbs better than my 2008 stumpjumper FSR

Weaknesses:    Weight (its overkill for most of my riding)

Bottom Line:
This is the most fun that I've had on a mountain bike in ages. Running a 2x9 setup, this thing is able to climb better than my 2008 FSR stumpjumper, the shock platform doesn't bob too much and gives me good traction. The stiffness of the frame, and the geometry in general has made me a better handler in the corners and on rocky descents. I'm just in love with this frame, it takes stronger legs to push than my XC bikes, but the grin factor more than makes up for that.

If you're looking for a good overall bike that you can do extended rides with, jump, free ride, and still ride XC (if you so wish), then this (or a Rune) would make an excellent choice.

Buying the frame new is pricey in my mind, but getting it off of ebay made this bike a real value for what it is.

Favorite Trail:   Jass Chrome Molly

Purchased At:   Ebay

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper FSR

Bike Setup:   X-Fusion H3, lx/xt derailleur mix, race face evolve DH cranks, 66RC 150mm fork, Sun wheels, Hayes HFX 9 brakes

Submitted by Ninja Cougar a Weekend Warrior from Victor Harbor, South Australia

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2010

Strengths:    Reasonably light frame, adjustable rear travel (127 and 165 mm), really low standover. About as all purpose as is possible

Weaknesses:    Could be a touch lighter (but it is a really genuinely strong freeride frame.) Paint could be a little more durable

Bottom Line:
Bought this as all round bike to take to Whistler. Liam's main interest is in dirt jumping, and ultimately slopestyle, so it's a perfect bike for him. The Pikes are great for dirt jumping, with the 127 mm rear travel setting; but could do with some longer forks for downhill, and making use of the 165 mm travel.
It's Awesome.
Buy one.
Thank you for reading.
Love from Liam.

Favorite Trail:   A-Line

Purchased At:   demo frame from Bars

Similar Products Used:   Kona Howler - a little lighter and better for dirt jumping, but doesn't have the rear travel of the Wildcard which makes it awesome downhill.
IronHorse Sunday - obviously better downhill, but that's all it's good for.
The Wildcard fits in the middle, so great when you can only take one bike.

Bike Setup:   Awesome. Frame came with a Fox DHX 5 air. Built up the frame from parts from our Howler. Pikes U turn (95 - 140 mm, SRAM X9 rear, 36 tooth chainring with E 13 LG-1. 2.5 Minion F front and rear. Other fairly basic parts that will be replaced as needed

Submitted by amrayo a Weekend Warrior from Israel

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2010

Strengths:    Nimble, rails the corners, relatively light, super fun geometry, very low and maneuverable, versatile and can handle climbs as easily as descends and drops. cool team color scheme (B&w)

Weaknesses:    powdercoat paint chips easily, 30 mm seatpost does not suit all adjustable seatposts
The combination of DHX5 Air with the frame is problematic if you use the 6.5" settings & your weight is over 90 Kg (Better go with the spring option...)

Bottom Line:
The bike is the ultimate all-rounder, it climbs well and can even handle some XC riding, but it really shines when you get some "air-time"
the Wildcard just asks of you to try and find it's limits. i am still looking... (and doing so - improving my riding)

to sum it up in three words: FUN FUN FUN

Purchased At:   shop@harim

Similar Products Used:   GT id5, Mongoose Teocaly, Trek Remedy

Bike Setup:   DHX5 Air, Marzocci55 ATA 120--160 mm, sram X.7, Shimano SLX brakes, Mavic 321 hoops on Sun hubs.
I use the 5" settings

Submitted by Tomas a Downhiller from Praha

Date Reviewed: March 22, 2010

Strengths:    Very stiff, short seat Tube 15", 2 posisions of frame travel 125 and 165, Good shock Fox DHX Air 5, 1.5" tube for steerer, long seat tube.

Weaknesses:    lillte bit heavier, good design, high probability to be stolen :)

Bottom Line:
Good frame, i dont have it long time, but for now i have not problems with it.

Purchased At:   E-bikes

Similar Products Used:   Giant reign

Bike Setup:   Fox talas 36 rc2, formula brakes, slx crankset, x-7 gear system.

Submitted by MartinS a Weekend Warrior from Fernie, BC

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2009

Strengths:    Solid and fun, cornering is a gas, rides like a full suspension BMX bike

Weaknesses:    Rear derailleur cable routing could be improved.

Bottom Line:
A really fun playbike, my first ride was UPS/Porc Rim and it was perfect for that trail, I was in love with the bike.
My local lift area got hammered with early season rain that made it a lot rougher than usual though, and I did find that the Wildcard got overwhelmed there - a Scythe would have been much more suitable - so I didn't use it as much as I would have liked during the summer. This fall I started to use it more and really began to like it a lot for smooth curvey DH runs, it is really flickable and leaves a smile on your face.
My dilemma now is that I need a Scythe for chairlifting - I was going to sell the WC as it didn't really suit my personal needs, nothing against the bike, I just need something bigger for my local hill, but now I really dig it again for my local shuttle runs...

Similar Products Used:   Nothing similar personally...

Bike Setup:   Manitou ISX 6 shock (the best way to go on this bike - actually it outperforms the DHX Air on every bike), Marz 66, saint cranks, Formula 'The Ones', Funn Full On bars, Straitline pedals

Submitted by soyaninja a Downhiller from England

Date Reviewed: July 21, 2009

Strengths:    Capable at many riding styles, allows versatility as regards to rider set-up, jumps ok, takes flat corners very well.

Weaknesses:    Cheap quality fabrication, cheap paint, bearings too tight so poor small bump sensitivity, doesn't work too well with a DHX 5.0 air for dh use.

Bottom Line:
My time so far with this bike has been fraught with problems unfortunately. Mine has a slightly misaligned ISCG tab and some weld splashes around the bb area, only aesthetic problems, but it generally manifests a pretty poor standard of welding all over, although I acknowledge my frame may be a unique case in this regard. The paint also chips/scratches very easily which is a shame.

I bought this frame as an in-between replacement for my short travel dh bike and hardtail. Of course it doesn't ride dh as well as a dh bike or jump as well as a hardtail, but its quite competent at both, notably for how well it takes flat corners in dh trails - but its not so good for railing berms as the bb is pretty high, 14.85" in the 6.5" travel setting with 160mm front travel, a bit lower for the 5" travel setting which is better for faster stuff, but still took some getting used to having to throw it down really hard into berms.

Small bump sensitivity is also an issue, you can really feel the ground a lot, I find myself forced to pump and jump a lot now to help make the bike work for me as it just doesn't roll too well, but as my Domains aren't too hot for small bumps either, the front and rear suspension is at least nicely matched! I think this problem is caused mainly by how tight the bearings are, the linkage doesn't move freely, despite having reduced the torque on the bearings. This problem isn't a major issue whilst riding though, it just results in me having knackered legs before any of my mates.

Due to the above issue, dh is a no-go with the DHX air's Pro-pedal ON, the suspension just completely locks out under braking if its on.

I do like the fact though, that I can set this bike up to jump well and shred dh hard too and it 'feels' the same to ride for either style, so no getting used to two bikes anymore - which allows me to just concentrate on progressing!

Overall, this bike has taken me nearly a year to start liking, my experiences with it were very mixed at first, but now I really like it and finally feel confident on it too - definitely the longest 'adaptation period' I've ever had with a bike though!

(-1 value rating for me getting a faulty frame)

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere near a pub

Purchased At:   Freeborn

Similar Products Used:   Orange Patriot, Norco Atomik, Cannondale Chase

Bike Setup:   Domain 318 U-turn, Ex729, F&R Hayes v8, DHX air, M810 cranks, zero stack headset - appx 38-39lb build.

Submitted by Lantern Rouge a Weekend Warrior from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: June 29, 2009

Strengths:    The Mango colour is super striking and really stands out! For me, this was my first 'big bike', and I find the bike super stable, plush and capable of doing really big things. It's my first "big" bike. I've set it up with dual chain rings, so I can still ride it up hill too. Really love the soft/plush feel when going over gnarly terrain and love how it pre-loads for jumps and drops.

I ride a small frame and it really is girl friendly. I'm a 60kg and 166cm tall weekend warrior princess ;-)

Weaknesses:    Ran my cables up the rear stays and through the rocker arms to avoid taking them round the bottom bracket and front derailleur. If running a front derailleur, it's quite cramped on the small frame and you must check that the rear arms don't take it out on full 6.5" travel.

Bottom Line:
I'm a girl who has progressed from XC riding to wanting to do more things and ride over rougher terrain and obstacles. The Wildcard has opened up a lot more possibilities for me, including doing black diamond downhill runs at Mt Buller and Thredbo! I love the way it feels and gives you confidence that you can ride over anything, without necessarily having the skill! :-) It's a tough bike and while a bit heavy, certainly not too heavy for me to lift into the shuttle ute! I'm loving it.

Favorite Trail:   100 Jumps Rotorua

Purchased At:   Brisbane Boutique Bi

Similar Products Used:   Ellsworth Truth with an 'all mountain' build kit - but just doesn't compare at all.

Bike Setup:   Small, Mango, Wildcard with: Marzocchi 66 forks, CK headset, Avid Brakes, Sram X9 Gruppo, NS hubs and Mavic Rims. Easton cockpit and Lady Sella Italia saddle. Kenda Nevegals.

Submitted by Lars M a Weekend Warrior from Denmark

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2009

Strengths:    Super allround'er. You can do anything on this bike.

Weaknesses:    Hmm..hard to find any.

Bottom Line:
I have this bike, as my do-it-all mountainbike. I use it for downhill/freeride and xc/trail-stuff.
I have two wheel-sets, and a long and a short seatpost.
It's not super light as an xc bike , but light enough for climbs, and stiff/strong enough for freeride.
It handles amazingly well in tight singletrack. I mostly use the 5" travel, and can still hit rockgardens pretty hard. It's very to move around in the air, and can take hard landings.

Purchased At:   222cycles

Similar Products Used:   Banshee Scream

Bike Setup:   White Brothers VT 140 fork. 2 chainrings/bashguard-setup. Halo Freedom wheels for freeride/dh-stuff, Halo Excite for trail-riding. Marzocchi Rocco TST air-damper.

Submitted by tribesman a Weekend Warrior from Australia

Date Reviewed: June 26, 2009

Strengths:    This bike was so easy to start riding hard with no real "get used to it" thing happening,just get on it and ride.low standover makes it easy for us short in the leg people,handling is great in both flowey trails and even in the tight single track.strength is second to none with help when your pushing the heavy end of the scales.Dealer support is great having a comitted importer with spares is important to me, when i break something i dont want to wait to get shipped a hanger or pivot bolt.

Weaknesses:    no real weakness, but i now see the 09 frames come with 30.9 seat post for all mountain posts and also have quick release seat post clamp ,allen keys are a PIA on the trail

Bottom Line:
This was a fun bike had her just under a year, rode evey thing from trail riding with the family to downhill days .
Packed her up for two weeks in New Zealand with heaps of gravity and free ride days ,even rode 150km rail trail with my wife and daughter through central otago with ease.
As a do it all bike it may be alittle heavy for the xc/epic days,but on single track and any gravity runs it is bloody fantastic how quick it sprints up to speed and inspires confidence in your riding.I am truly sorry to see her go off to someone else,i hope you enjoy riding her as hard and often as i did mate.......because now i am riding her bigger SISTER!!!!!!! F*** yerh......09 white BANSHEE SCYTHE first run was insane,arm pump white knuckle ride have not been faster but still feel stable and centred,will review after a few more shuttles.

Favorite Trail:   neverending story

Purchased At:   Brisbane Boutique Bi

Similar Products Used:   giant trance ,yeti575 (08),234 racing hardtail

Bike Setup:   med wildcard in red
07 mazoch 66 ata sl1
chris king head and hub set on funn decender rims
sram x9 drive chain and shifters
xt cranks 36/24 gamut bash
juciy 7 with 8" rotors
diety cockpit

Submitted by JeffK95Z a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 25, 2009

Strengths:    Light, Nimble, Strong, rails the corners... Climbs up very well w/ hardly any pedal bob.

Weaknesses:    Team Black/White paint chips some what easily, other then that i see no weakness!

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks. I'm well into my second season riding it and it suit's all my needs perfectly. Fast jumps trails in the bike park (CIU, A-Line, etc...) to steep techy stuff on Seymour and even climbs.

This bike handles it all!

Coming from a BIG heavy bike, i wanted something lighter and more nimble. I got everything i could of asked for in this package.

Right now the bike weights around 37 lbs or so. It could be lighter, but I'd rather go with a little heavier tire (DH dual-ply) as i'm not the cleanest rider.

Check out some pictures here:

Favorite Trail:   Crank It Up, Devils Club, Neds, Nicoles, Gear Jammer

Purchased At:   Trident Sports

Similar Products Used:   Nothing really. I'm coming off an almost 50 lb Banshee Scream

Bike Setup:   frame: medium wildcard
fork: domain 318 non-uturn - 160mm
shock: evolver isx-6

Wheelset
Wheels: Alex Supra D
Spokes: Sapim 2.3 strong butted
Nipples: some brass 12mm? kicking around the shop
Rim Tape: some red stuff kicking around the shop
Tubes: 2.4 standard non-DH
Tires: same as before - Kenda up front and Minion in the back - both 2.5's

Drive Train
Cranks: 09 Saint 170's w/ dual rings and stock bash guard
Rear Shifter: 09 Saint
Rear Derailer: 09 Saint
Chain Device: Stinger
Front Shifter/Derailer: I still havn't picked this up, but will likely go with the 09 saint stuff as well.
Rear cassette: XT
Chain: KMC SL
Pedals: some old wellgo's i snagged off my 04 fluid 3

Brakes
Front/Rear: Avid Code w/ 185mm rotors
Adapters: DT Swiss centerlock to 6-bolt

Seat: SLR w/ some TLD spider design
Post: praxis stock post from banshee
bar/stem: hussefelt
grips: ODI lockons

Submitted by sammack a Weekend Warrior from t town

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Strengths:    geometry
looks great
strength
every thing is good on this bike

Bottom Line:
this is a great bike well worth the money you can do every thing on this bike from xc to dj to dh if your thinkin about buying one do it its the best bik i have ever riden wouldnt trade it for any other bike any banshee is really worth the money cuase they will never let you down

Favorite Trail:   dirt merchat

Purchased At:   from banshee

Bike Setup:   medium mango wildcard, totem coil, fox dhx 3.0 coil

Submitted by Erik Mauke a Cross Country Rider from Whistler, BC, Canada

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2009

Bottom Line:
This bike is fantastic!!!! The Wildcard is a bike that can do it all. I'm still a novice downhiller, so its nice to know that when I'm in a sticky situtation the bike will get me through just about anything! I'm a bigger rider and I feel like I'm 50 pounds lighter when I'm flying through the air on my wildcard. All in all, a great bike for anybody in my opinion!!!

Submitted by jim nuggets a Weekend Warrior from Fengshan Taiwan

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2009

Strengths:    light weight
gorgeous
roomy, not like a minivan
nice in the air-for tricks
durable, strong, can take a beating...
handles like a wet dream without the wetness, just feels good

Weaknesses:    none that I can think of

Bottom Line:
I don't know much about bikes, so I won't pretend I do. What I do know is this bike is amazing for dirt jumping, drops, big gaps, and for trail riding (it corners like Sam Hill.) It is easy to pull off tricks that you would be doing on your hardtail... have not tried a backflip on it yet, but will eventually.

I like to ride my hard-tail one day and maybe my full suspension the next, or go for 2 weeks on just one. I found with other bikes, I had a really hard time switching from one to the other... It took me a long time to get comfortable What I found with the wildcard is that it took no time to get used to going from my wildcard to my Amp or vis versa.

Ever since I got my Wildcard, i have been riding it way too much... thats how fun this bike is... I am afraid my Gal might dump me cause I am too tired to make the boom boom at night.

If you are looking for a nice, durable, light weight bike, that can do the jumps, handles well on the trails and downhill then the banshee wildcard is for you. I

Favorite Trail:   san pi, over under, red line,

Similar Products Used:   Canfield One, Transition Bottle Rocket, Santa Cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   Lyric 2 step, juicy sevens, Fox DHX Air, sicklines pedals, some other stuff

Submitted by CC5 a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver Canada

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2009

Strengths:    Very versatile and durable. Can be ridden comfortably up because of its full seat tube length. Combination of good top tube length, medium bottom bracket height, and short chainstays equals good cornering. Best stand over height in the market, yet long enough top tube for tricks and stability. Good weight for such a durable frame.

Weaknesses:    The anodized finish is very durable. The painted finish can be a bit fragile. Retail price is expensive, but reasonable given the high quality of the frame, and Banshee's great reputation for backing their product.

Bottom Line:
I'm going on to my second season riding my black, size small anodized Wildcard. It has been ridden on the north shore, Whistler, and even cross country rides.

The Wildcard is extremely versatile and can be set up for multiple styles of riding. Checking in around 5'7" there aren't too many bikes that offer this kind of stand over height with such a generous top tube length. Most bike companies associate good stand over height with a midget sized top tube. With three sizes to choose from, the Wildcard should be able to accommodate a wide range of torso lengths.

My Wildcard is set up plush for a trail/Whistler set up. I'm running solid components and DH tires which create a total output of 35.5lbs. 32lbs for a solid slopestyle build is very realistic.

The Wildcard is very versatile. It is capable of riding up (although you probably won't be winning any time trials), shredding the trails and flowing the jumps. There aren't very many manufacturers that have a bike like this in their line up.

For more details, check out http://bb.nsmb.com/showthread.php?t=113935 for pics and an in-depth review

Favorite Trail:   Ninja cougar, 7th secret, A-line

Purchased At:   Caps

Similar Products Used:   2007 Santa Cruz Bullit, 2004 Santa Cruz Heckler, 2004 Intense Tazer FS

Bike Setup:   Fox Float 36 RC2 @ 5.3", DHX Air @ 5", Race Face Atlas FR cranks and bar, Juicy 7's with Goodridge housing, Thomson seat post/ X4 stem, Hadley hubs, Mavic XM 321 hoops, Maxxis Ardent front/Highroller rear rubber, CK devolution headset, E13 LG1 chainguide, Sram X9/X0 shifting,

Front derailleur for Wildcard?

I have a 2009 Wildcard and was wondering if anyone knew what type of front derailleur to run for a 2x10 setup? A high or low clamp front derailleur? I've looked on the forums and Banshee website and haven't found any specifics. Thanks to anyone who can fill me in.Read More »

2010 Banshee Wildcard headset help?

Hey guys! I'm joining the banshee family pretty soon! I'm swapping my old RM slayer SS for a Banshee Wildcard. The frame I'm getting comes with a headset for a 1.5 fork, but my Fox 36 is a strait 1-1/8th. I've built complete bikes from scratch, but the headset is the one thing that's always come wit ... Read More »

Banshee Wildcard vs Rocky Mountain Slayer SS

Hey ya'll, been riding my 2008 Slayer SS for a couple months now. I love it. Only one complaint. It's heavy. No big deal though, it's a freeride bike. I can live with it. but it does kinda get to me sometimes. Feels hard to whip and toss around in the air, even though it's very nimble on the trails. ... Read More »

Wildcard 2013, question for Banshee guys

Hi I had for a long time the WC and loved it more then any other FR/SS bike. I sold it and now I regret so I decided to buy the 2013 frame, what are the difference for 2013? ThanksRead More »

Wildcard, fork opinions

So, in an attempt to lose some weight on my WC I may be looking at changing forks. Currently it has a zoke 66 rc3 on it, I've got a friend who is getting a x-fusion vengeance coil (coming off of a spesh enduro evo) that he's thinking about negotiating a trade for. Would the x-fusion be a bette ... Read More »