Yeti Cycles A.R.C. Frameset

+ Spirit

Weaknesses:    - Paint
- Cable routing
- Welding

Bottom Line:
This bike is one of the best looking bike I've had. It is light and ride superbly well. It is on par with the trek and the cannondale. You feel like riding history. I won't tell you it is better than anything else, it is just different and rare. I like it.

Now the bad things :
- The paint is really bad. Just one hit of the chain, of a little rock or of the disk when taking the back wheel off and you get a chip off. I have the bike since a month and can count at least 10 chips of paint.
- The back disk hose routing is stupid. It is under the top tube and miss a middle routing. You can't carry the bike on your shoulder...
- The back disk tab is not welded straight on my frame. I am obliged to use avid's system to have the caliper straigh over the disk...

So go for that frame but don't expect YETI's old time quality.

Favorite Trail:   Porcupine rim MOAB

Purchased At:   TRISPORT St-Maarten

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9.9, Cannondale f2000SL

Bike Setup:   Race kit with Sram and fox RLT

Submitted by Frank a Cross Country Rider from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: November 6, 2003

Strengths:    Very light frame. Stiff but no punishing like other aluminum bikes I've test ridden.

Weaknesses:    Wish the chainstay was a tad shorter and wish they made a 15" version. Expensive for aluminum ... even when I got it at a closeout price!

Bottom Line:
I've only ridden this on the road so I can't comment on its trail handling ability. Having said that, this is one FAST bike. I once read a review of Yeti's Road Project about how it would keep accelerating no matter what speed you were going. I now know what that means ... even crusing at 25mph, trying to pedal harder feels like I'm still accelerating something I never felt on my old Gunnar Rock Hound. This frame also amazingly gives a soft ride for aluminum and makes commuting bearable. Yeti's do cost $$$, but I'm glad I got one.

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Previous bike Gunnar Rock Hound. Test rode Klein Attitude, Specialized StumpJumper, Trek 8000 all hardtails.

Bike Setup:   '02 ARC, King headset, king hubs laced to 517 rims with DT revolution spokes, Hutchinson Air Lite tires (26x1.0), Easton MG60 stem & EA70 bar, XT F/R derailleurs, SRAM rocket shifters, SRAM chain, Paul brakes & levers, '02 RockShox Sid, Thomson post, WTB SST98 saddle, Truvativ Stylo Team Crank, Crank Bros pedals. ~21.5lbs

Submitted by Tony a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    See review

Weaknesses:    It could come with rack eyelets, but I'm just nitpicking...

Bottom Line:
I use this primarily as a road bike, therefore I cannot give a review of its off-road capabilities. Having said that, this bike flies! It is quite simply the fastest bike I've ever owned, and believe me, I've owned quite a few. I ride primarily steel bikes, but seeing the frame on sale for $385 at Adrenaline Bikes last year, how could I pass it up? Yes, it's not as comfortable as a steel bike (especially since I ride a puny 14", which makes it realy stiff), but it comes close. The speed more than makes up for it. As the cliche goes, this bike climbs like a goat. I don't know how those guys at Golden, Colorado do it, but this bike is pure magic. BTW, anybody who rides a Yeti other than their signature Turquoise color should have his ass whooped. Just kidding!

Five flamin' turds!

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kileaua, Specialized Stumpjumper, Jamis Diablo to name a few...

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Kona Project II rigid fork

Submitted by Rick B a Cross Country Rider from Central Jersey

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    It does what you want it to. Move and it moves with you. Holds corners well, even through bumps. Even feel front-to-back. Very stable, but still moves nicely through tight stuff. Light weight, forgiving ride, yet still gets the power to the ground.

Weaknesses:    I have no complaints, other than I wish they'd offer the same bike in one of the nice new steel offerings.

Bottom Line:
I've had about 20 mountainbikes in my time, so I've put time in on lots of different bikes. I like the durability and ride feel of custom steel, but this bike is a rival to steel! I got it as a close-out on 2002 models for real cheap, so I couldn't resist. The ARC handles fast-paced XC riding perfectly. I wouldn't huck a 10 foot drop with it, but that's not what it's for. You want to go fast? This bike will work with you. Even after 4 or 5 hours, I still feel good on this bike because it doesn't beat the crap out of you like some alumiNUMB does. It has a nice "snap" when taking off as the power goes right to the rear wheel. Climbing can be done 2 ways.. rocket up a hill and pedal your ass off, or shift into granny and move up on the seat and grind away. Downhills are a positive experience, as I don't get bounced around and can keep my speed up. It responds well to body english, especially if you keep your knees in close to the top tube around corners.
If you use V-brakes, I'd reccommend a rear brake booster, as the chainstays will flex a little with the brakes on, making them feel mushy. I have discs, and they feel solid. It's nice to see different size headtubes in proportion to the rest of the frame size. Most companies use one size headtube for all size frames, which makes spacers and/or riser stems neccessary for bigger sizes. I have a 20" and can run a flat 90 degree stem right off the headset which makes for the best handling.
The bike feels very even and stable in the air or over uneven terrain.
Yeti customer service is always good to me. They always come through if there's a problem, which is rare.
Buy this bike if your style is riding hard over typical cross-country terrain. You will not be dissappointed, and you'll find out just how good of a rider you can be!

Favorite Trail:   Anything but sand and boulders

Purchased At:   Adrenaline Bikes

Similar Products Used:   '96 Yeti Sherpa (steel), '03 Yeti FRO (Easton Elite), a few full-suspension bikes, many many many hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Skareb, Hugi 240 hubs, Hope discs, King headset, XT drivetrain and shifting, XTR cassette, Yeti ARC seatpost, Titec stem and seat, Yeti bar, ATAC pedals, Velocity rims, Rohloff chain, Sapim CXray spokes, Firepro XC tires

Submitted by Roger a Weekend Warrior from Oslo, Norway

Date Reviewed: March 27, 2002

Strengths:    Ride

Weaknesses:    Quality and workmanship

Bottom Line:
A fantastic ride but bad workmanship and quality inspection. Two frames in a row that has been way out of alignment!!! Extremly bad customer service from the Norwegian distributor Sykkeldelisk, dont buy anything from them is my advice!! They have used almost 8 months to get me a replacement frame, i got fed up and demanded my money back. Im still waiting for that and i feel that Yeti Cycles should do something serious about their sales rep and distributors in Northern Europe. I will never buy a thing from Yeti again, it sucks!

Purchased At:   Sykkeldelisk

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9900, Klein Adroit, Voodoo Wanga, Gary Fisher Supercaliber etc....

Bike Setup:   XT/ XTR SID XC.....

Submitted by Sebastian Lo a Weekend Warrior from Singapore

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent bike which is stiff. Has great acceleration abilities. Tight cornering abilities and almost rides like an expensive steel frame. Very lively indeed!

Weaknesses:    The frameset is a little on the heavy side and finish (paint lustre) could be improved.

Bottom Line:
Very nice bike to ride. Overall, it feels more solid and stiffer than my previous Principia. I highly recommend this bike to any rider(s) thinking of getting serious into the sport and want a good race ready bike!

Purchased At:   Boon's Bike Supply

Similar Products Used:   Principia MSL Pro

Bike Setup:   Shimano Deore & XT, Roox, Rolf, Kenda, Selle Italia, Rock Shox, Easton and Thomson components.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Mountain View, CA

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2001

Strengths:    Great high speed hard-tail.

Weaknesses:    Not hte best in technical situations.

Bottom Line:
Everyone describes this bike as "fast." I really wondered what that meant. After building out a 98 ARC with 2001 parts this spring, I found out...

This bike is great at high speeds. Both open fire roads and windy single track taken at speed are fun and fast. The bike holds a straight line better than any bike I've ridden and goes exactly where you point it.

However at lower speeds it's less good (not saying bad - in fact better than most). On tight, slow, technical trails it's not the bike to be on. I'm 6'0" and have a 19" bike, and it feels too big in technical situations - I'd like to try a smaller frame and see if this trait goes away.

Compared to my Bontrager Race Lite, the ARC does not climb quite as well (but close), or handle technical sections as well. However the ARC is far superior when the speeds get higher, or when it gets steep.

Great bike!

If I could find a bike that rode up hills like the Bontrager, and down hills like the Yeti, I'd never ride anything else.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race Lite, KHS Montana Pro, Bridgestone MB-1

Bike Setup:   XT - XTR mix, 2000 Judy Race shock

Submitted by Cliff a Racer from Seattle, WA, US

Date Reviewed: September 1, 2001

Strengths:    - Welded like a piece of art.
- Almost no flex yet still forgiving.
- Very light.

Weaknesses:    None yet.

Bottom Line:
I've ridden countless mountain and road frames and because of my weight (225lbs), it's hard for me to use anything but aluminum. Until now. This frame, over the past couple of months that I've used it, is as forgiving as carbon, and as stiff as aluminum. It climbs as well as any hardtail I've used and descends with extreme precision. I would recommend this frame to anyone looking to improve upon the hardtail they are currently riding.

Favorite Trail:   all and any

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   recycled cycles

Similar Products Used:   First titanium frame I've used. But better all around than the carbon, steel and aluminum frames I've had before.

Bike Setup:   A.R.C. titanium, Chris King head set and hubs, Thomson post and stem, Full XTR drive train and shifters, Avid arch brakes, Easton Monkey lite bar, Velocity deep V rims.

Submitted by Yeti Lover a Cross Country Rider from Utah

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2001

Strengths:    Pre-'95 Yeti's are the BEST BIKES EVER!!and the A.R.C is no exception baby!My '93 is still a beautiful piece of x-country art.Climbs like no other,great geometry,23-lb weight--a racer's ride through-and-through!!Mine celebrates its 8th anniversary today!

Weaknesses:    None,nada,ZIP!!If you think the bike sucks it's because of YOU,the rider,NOT the bike.This is a bike for experienced riders,not pamby-ass newbies.
Some of the old-school Yeti faithful will scoff at this bike because it's Easton aluminum instead of steel.Well,SCREW THEM!I own an '90 Pro-Fro too,and I love both bikes.
Too bad Yeti got bought out by Schwinn in '96...what a disgrace.Lucky for us Yeti hardcore loyalists,the company is no longer in Schwinn hands.YAYYYY!!Let's hope it can rebuild its once-shining rep!

Bottom Line:
A true classic.No true Yeti fan would be complete without one of these beauties in their garage!!My beautiful Yeti ARC never fails to attract comment out on the trails,especially after people watch me dust some jackass on a chi-chi full-suspension rig both up and DOWN hill!(Do I hear an "Amen" from my fellow Yeti fanciers?)Still one of the finest rigs in existence.Makes a bad rider look good,but really comes to life under a true trailmaster.I hope my ARC will last another 8 years!

YETI ALL THE WAY,YETI 'TILL I DIE!!!

Similar Products Used:   '90 Pro-Fro(awesome bike too)
After Yeti got bought,I had short flings with Klein(now corporate puppets for Trek),Cannondale(crack-and-fail),and GT(one word:YUCK!).None of their bikes stood up to my Yeti.The rest are victims of the scrap heap,while my ARC still reigns supreme in my garage!!!

Yeti ARC in blue/yellow paint scheme,'93 XT 8-speed grouppo with thumbshifters,rigid fork,Shimano 747 pedals,XT V-brakes and levers(I'm not a COMPLETE retrogrouch...)

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Ukiah, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: August 22, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff, climbs like nothing else, but still comfortable over the ruff stuff. Customer service over at Yeti is awsome.

Weaknesses:    I am not capable of pull the potential out of this frame.

Bottom Line:
Don't buy the frame if you are a first time mountain biker. You won't be able to tell how good the bike is. I'v ridden a supper stiff GT, then gone to a plastic(aka carbon) trek which flexed like crazy, but the Yeti doesn't even compare to these. I got one size smaller than recomended on the fit charts, and am loving it. The top tube is still plenty long and the shorter wheelbase is unbeatable at handling. The real fun is at high speeds on single track. The bike will stick a line and make you want to push harder. In a couple months i'll submit another review, but so far so good. I only wish i was a better rider to push the bike to its full potential.

Favorite Trail:   North Burm, Annandale, CA

Purchased At:   Denny Bicycles

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar, Trek 9900

Bike Setup:   Personal Fav's

Submitted by James a Racer from New York, New York

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    Handling at speed, climbing prowess, attention getting, durable (mine is a parker-era '91 model). The ride is the best compromise of aluminum stiffness whiel also being forgiving. Customer service is awesome!

Custom purple and green ( I know, they laughed when I ordered it. But it even sets me apart in the exclusive yeti circle!)

Weaknesses:    get real!

Bottom Line:
If you don't know the heritage of Old School Yeti...the Tomes, Deaton, Giove, Furtado, Rockwell than get out your old MTBA mags and read up! THEN YOU CAN GET ONE AND JOIN THE TRIBE!

Mandatory Yetiman Tatoo on left shoulder with every new bike sold!

Sidebar: If you live in NYC, look for me in the park between 11-2pm most days. You will hear the whine of my nobbies see me off the front of the local roadie crew!

Favorite Trail:   central park loop !!!!!

Purchased At:   Bike Rack, Jxn MS

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale, Specialized M2, M3, M4, Spooky, Trek.nothing comes close to the feel of a Yeti A.R.C.

Bike Setup:   old school XTR (New XTR V-brakes), SID SL, Usual stuff......

Submitted by david a Cross Country Rider from nashville, tn

Date Reviewed: August 13, 2001

Strengths:    Absolutely the best hardtail that money can buy

Weaknesses:    zero

Bottom Line:
No matter how much you spend, you cannot do better than this for a hardtail. Very very fast, and climbs better than any other frame I've ridden. Just unbeleivable. I would recommend it mainly to riders who have ridden a long time and know what they are doing, because a beginner will simply not appreciate this bike for what it's capable of.

Favorite Trail:   hermosa creek/tsali

Purchased At:   Cumberland Transit

Similar Products Used:   S-Works M2, Ritchey P20, Zaskar LE (horrible, monster fat, yeti pro-fro

Bike Setup:   XTR Drivetrain, avid disk brakes, king disk wheels, thompson sp, wcs stem, etc.

Submitted by Jonny from Boulder, CO

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2001

Strengths:    Beautiful (Turquoise is the only way to go!)
Made in Colorado
Welds are amazing
Fairly light
Rides unlike any Aluminum ever made -perfect flex (the least harshest aluminum ever made)
Simple design (or one that hasn't really changed in years
It is so damn versatile (best hardtail downhiller I've ridden)
The ladies just absolutely love it...as well they should.

Weaknesses:    Cannot think of anything but price...but if you are worried about price and looking at a Yeti, you have other issues to deal with...

Bottom Line:
Let me preface by saying that I an not super hardcore...I don't use titanium or Carbon parts...but I do like QUALITY that will last me a decade, if not longer. So, in saying that, this is a Yeti, arguably the coolest bike ever created. Its not the most expensive (although it will hurt the wallet) nor is it the most tricked out, but that is what makes this bike so special. It hasn't changed much over the years because it just works...and works better than anyhting else. Sure, I looked at this bike at first because of the name (I used to drool over the posers with the Yeti's in College), but since switching to the Yeti (after much debate as I used to love the Cannondales...what a loser I feel like now!), I don't think that I will ever own another hardtail (and I am a HUGE hardtail fan...I love simplicity that works!) Bottom Line...if you are a diehard hardtail fan, and there are some of you out there like me (and you think FS is for pussies)and want the absolute best, then the only choice is a Yeti. Period.

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Paragon, Cannondale M-1000

Bike Setup:   XT, XTR rear, Avid Brakes, Judy SL, KORE Elite, Shimano 545's, MAVIC 225's laced to Ringle hubs (transplanted from old ride) - I stick to the basics...

Submitted by Jay Reader a Racer from Lake Geneva, WI

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2001

Strengths:    Way faster than most people can appreciate. I dare to say that there isn’t a faster single-track bike out there! It really does ride like an extension of yourself. This bike tacks where every you point it. Handcrafted workmanship (pre-Schwinn) with the TRUE classic paint scheme of turquoise/yellow is a bike that will go down in mtb history! Race-proven design that has remained relatively unchanged since the beginning of time! The most straight-laced, very fast-forward, simple, proven, not to mention incredibly sexy, mtb I will ever own! Did I forget to mention that it also comes with a legendary race heritage that everyone seems to know about, but only few own!!! That equals STYLE, if you are willing to prove it on the trail.

Weaknesses:    PLEASE, you have got to be joking! This is a YETI!

Bottom Line:
Fastest hard-tail on the trail, period! If you're whining about price, your priorities are all "F'd"-up and this bike is not for you! A Yeti is not about a "bargain" or "deal". I’m not going to say that this bike will make you a “better/faster rider” right out of the box, but it will open your eyes to the “possibility” of taking you to the next level and introduce you to the true definitions of “speed”, and “pure”! If you understand “Zen”, you understand this bike. If you don’t understand “Zen”, then this bike will get you as close to it as you ever will.

Favorite Trail:   Kettle Moraine; John Muir Trail

Purchased At:   Some Mail Order Place, So Long ago ('97 - Frame Only)