Home | Reviews | Frameset | WTB

WTB PHOENIX Frameset

PHOENIX

Submitted by Grant Wallace a Cross Country Rider from Denver, CO

Date Reviewed: November 10, 2004

Strengths:    Here's the deal people. This is by far the best singletrack geometry bicycle ever built. I have been in cycling since 1985 when we didn't know what we were doing. I can tell you without error after owning 5 of these frames that the quality of the ride is surpassed only by the quality if the craftsmanship of Steve Potts. I currently own a rigid phoenix with a type II, (If you don't know what that is then ask me), and a Titanium Phoenix S/N:0024, and I am looking to replace a busted (Car Vs. Car W/Bike on Back) phoenix that I loaned out. If you have one let me know 15" w/1-1/8 Head Tube.

Weaknesses:    This product has only one weakness - It is no longer available.

Bottom Line:
Too bad WTB isn't what it used to be. The products are Same Old Same Old and not very inovative. If you have ever ridden the perfect trail where everything is in complete harmony then you can look down and see a WTB Phoenix between your legs.

Favorite Trail:   TSALI

Purchased At:   WTB

Similar Products Used:   Pretty much any front suspension bike from a basic stumpjumper to a custom merlin extralight

Bike Setup:   My TI Phoenix is Full XTR with King Headset and WTB New Paradigm Hubs Laced 3X in mavic rims

My Steel Phoenix is sweet. It is a mix of proven parts from old school top mount thumb-shifters. To a Titanium Flex Stem. Running Ritchey 2.35 ZMaxs. Perfect for flat singletrack

Submitted by David J. Cook a Racer from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2003

Strengths:    The Phoenix is super responsive, quick, nimble and tough as nails. I weigh around 220 and this bike has taken extreme abuse from me since the summer of 1996. Steve Potts is a superior craftsman and once you get on a Phoenix, you will understand. This bike has outlasted 4 groupos.

Weaknesses:    The 140 rear dropouts were a pain in the butt. You always had to throw on a 5mm spacer when you changed hubs.

Bottom Line:
I since have joined the ranks of the full suspension fiends. I purchased a santacruz superlite however, i usually regret not bringing my Phoenix to the trails instead. I would recommend this bike to anyone who wants to feel the trail and ride with extreme nimbleness. If you are a downhill junky get a FS, but for kicking single track, zipping through the woods, cranking up the hills, this is the best frame out there!

Favorite Trail:   Kitzuma

Bike Setup:   2001 xtr, mavic sup, chris king, v brakes, monkey lite bars, syncros stem, eggbeaters

Submitted by shawn sidebottom a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn, NY

Date Reviewed: July 25, 2000

Strengths:    leading their line of fine bikes, WTB for the past three years has produced what looks like a sleeper of a ride but is made for those in the know. The Ti phoenix is the lightweight, bombproof, go anywhere ride that one expects from the folks at WTB.

Weaknesses:    While the frame preforms flawlessly the only problem so far is the front derailleur. The frame designed limits you to only the shimano e-type, which has a carbon plate that connects via the bottom bracket and a bolt. this design limits the choices of BB's and in some instances cranks.
The Koski/Breezer/Ritchey style dropouts do a great job stiffining up the frame but for expedition rides forget the use of a BOB trailer.

Bottom Line:
The Derailleur/ Bottom Bracket area is the only short coming of a bike that rides like a dream. The frame is light and responsive, in only the way titanium can be. This bike is great for the long haul and for the rider who wants the last bike for their stable.

Favorite Trail:   Blue Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Specialized S-Works Steel, Fat City Wicked

Bike Setup:   a full compliment of WTB components
New Paradigm Headset, Hubs, laserbeam rims, DT spokes
Ibis Ti stem, bar and bar ends
Syncros seat post and cranks and rings
Grip shift ESP 9.0 shifter/ derailleur
shimano XTR front Derailleur and V brakes

Submitted by Kenny Phelps a Cross Country Rider from Butler,Pa U.S.

Date Reviewed: February 23, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent craftmanship, all around great bike.Super geometry.

Bottom Line:
Bomb Proof, the only problem I had was with the WTB 140mm rear hub. Lasted one season and was trash.

Favorite Trail:   Kenerdale

Similar Products Used:   Ibis Ti Mojo

Bike Setup:   Syncrose Ti post, White Industies wheels, Control Tech V-brakes, King Headset, Titec Ti Hell Bent bars, Ibis Ti stem, Judy SL with Air cartriges.

Submitted by MARK a cross-country rider from round rock,texas

Date Reviewed: October 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

After 3 years of owning this bike, i'm still stoked.........Ive
only seen 1 other of it's kind in the state of Texas and it did not
reside here anyway...........After having sat idle for the past year while Ive been riding another
of my fleet I recently sent my Phoenix back to place of birth and
had new a drop out and hanger installed after I hammered it beyond
belief.....It came back with a beautiful new coat of paint, and I
have now rebuilt it full retro........I mean rigid....I had a Ritchey
logic rigid fork installed, and man what fun it is to revert back to
the way things were when it all wasn't so complicated...!!This bike
can do it all.......climb the steepest of the steeps and go down tightest
of turns.......do yourself a favor if you ever want to ride a real
down to earth 'Mountain Bike' test drive a WTB Phoenix rigid or suspended..
I currently own a IF DELUXE/KLEIN MANTRA PRO/ and love all of these bikes...
Now I'd love to ride the Ti version of the Phoenix.....P.S. folks @ WTB are the real deal..........sincere..honest, good people
cranking out great products!!CARP DIEM!!!

NW Phoenix Realtor?

Looking for a realtor to assist with finding/negotiating a rental home in the NW Valley. Would love to get someone who rides and "understands"! Plus just want to give the business to someone in the cycling community. Thanks!Read More »

visiting phoenix - goatheads or other hazards on paved or dirt trails?

if this has been discussed, sorry for new thread - my searches didn't give what i was looking for. i'm visiting phoenix for the next 2 weeks and brought my mountainbike. i've got a set of 1.4" wide slicks with regular tubes. i also have good offroad tires with the heavy thorn resistant tubes. i'm ... Read More »

From Phoenix, work in Golden, trail advice?

So work is sending me to Golden for a week, staying at the Candlewood Suites on Tabor Street. I'll be there August 11th through the 16th. I am wondering if anyone can recommend a shop that may do rentals? Also if there are any nearby trails? I ride a heavier 6" travel bike, but do most types of ridi ... Read More »

Someone stole my Phoenix!!!!!

Bad news, my Phoenix was stolen out of my brother's apartment complex in May while I was in China and I didn't hear about it until today. Now my summer DH plans are squashed like a bug on a windshield. If anyone sees this bike around lemme know. It has a unique red/blue decal setup and it's a smal ... Read More »

Boring Fitness Ride in Mountain Air, relatively close to Phoenix, Sat Morning 7/6

I'll be riding Poland Road (aka Poland Junction Road) from about 5200 feet up through Breezy Pines and up to the summit of Mount Union at 8000 Feet. Ride starting point is about 1hr 15 minute drive from my house at Cave Creek and 101. I'll be starting the ride at 7AM saturday 7/6 Poland Road ... Read More »