World Force VR1 Frameset

3.56/5 (9 Reviews)

World Force VR1

Submitted by Lars Rune a Downhiller from Bergen/Stavanger Norway

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2000

Strengths:    Good pedaller, great high-speed handling, good in corners, looks more "noble" then many more "vulgar-looking" frames

Weaknesses:    Bearings should have been cartridge bearings instead! Should have universal discbrake mounts!

Bottom Line:
Fast bike, plush enough for technical, stiffer then many other designs sideways, great for corners, too high-maintenance bearings(must be greased ever so often)
I go fast on this bike, and if you cannot it is either because the bike is too big for rider under 5.11 or because you are no good! I own 4 other DH bikes as well, I run my own company so that is why I can afford it, and yeah, I am sick!

Favorite Trail:   Harbakkadalen, Bergen, Norway

Purchased At:   trough friend's store

Similar Products Used:   ALL! Too many to list( Cortina, Vario, Giant, Scott, etc,etc)

Bike Setup:   Big-one pro 2000 DH fork, Dmr pedals and stem, DMR chaindevice, Nokian front(2,6) tire, DMR cranks, Controltech bars, XTR derailleur,etc,etc

Submitted by Big Worm a downhiller from Las Vegas, NV

Date Reviewed: September 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

I actually won my bike in a raffle and it was set up semi-DH. It had a triple chainring setup on it. I thought well, I will just keep it for an extra bike for others to use. I was wrong once I rode it. This bike is very bad ass. I first rode it at the local BMX track with my fellow mtn bikers in our own class, in the previous races I had ridden my Foes and Cannondale DH bikes against other DH bikes. When I took my first moto on this bike I was completly amazed!!! I beat all the 5 other DHers to the first corner and never looked back. I was able to peddle my ass off to the jumps and SKY barely feeling the landing. I have since ridden the bike on a couple DH trails in So. UT and NV and this bike is definatly DH worthy and is perfect for the courses that do require a bit of peddling. And I even ride it on all the local trails! I gave this bike a 10 on a scale of 1 to 5 also!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by John Hendry a cross-country rider from Hawaii

Date Reviewed: August 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

After owning an Outland I thought that since they copied the Outlands VPP it would be a generation up. Nope...this thing is a downhill bike only and the weight is just too much. Too bad they make it so heavy. The Outland handles much better at much less weight. Something about this bike that rocks is how it conserves energy...but at this weight...no go.
John^^

Submitted by Tracy a racer from Durango, Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

THIS BIKE ROCKS!!!! What can I say - here are the facts: First, this frame has zero lock-out during breaking. I found I can go deeper and deeper into the corners because the whell stays on the ground which allows me to remain in control. Second, I don't really know how to explain it but it pedals like a rigid bike with full active suspension. I don't know how the hell those guys came up with this design, but like I said IT ROCKS!!! Third, maintanance is so simple. These guys thought to put grease fitting at each pivot, so I just grease and go. Fourth, because the pivots are so far apart there is no flex in the rear end at all. Fifth, what also helps keep the rear end from flexing is the front and rear sections are a soild triangle. There are no pivots at all in the rear like almost all other bikes have. I can't believe that know one has copies this solid triangle design, but maybe thats what is Patent Pending, I don't know. Sixth, this frame is about 1 pound heavier than the Intense. Thsis is probably because they used cromoly instead of aluminum. Everyone that rides my bike says it rules hands down. I know this the market wants aluminum and when these guys decide its time for an aluminum VR1, watch out. I just hope they can make enough of them to supply all people who are going to want them!!!. This frame is a 10 on a scale of one to 5, it that good.

Submitted by Darrell Wright a weekend warrior from Scotland

Date Reviewed: April 19, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well, the World Force, reviewed by Janos Köhler is no more.
I was just pootling around on it doing tiny backhops and the rear triangle snapped with a satisfying crunch. It bust at the dropout on the left side, where the tubes are cigarette paper thin, where the chainstay meets the dropout.
We'll keep you posted on what World Force have to say.

Submitted by justin a downhiller from johannesburg,south africa

Date Reviewed: April 7, 1998

Bottom Line:

I bought the '98 bike a few weeks ago and am very happy with it so far.A few problems though: Front cable stop is in a stupid position which makes cable rub against linkage arm and so setting front derailer is a pain in the ass.Rear derailer hanger isn't replacable which could be a problem.Other than these things the bike works great.Mine has the stratos helix pro which redefines plush but my first shock blew after the first race but was replaced quickly.Even though this is a downhill bike it can be ridden around fairly easily although you wouldn't want to do any seriously long trail rides on it.On downhills the bike soakes up everything from small to big hits and carves like a dream.It's pretty good value for money too.

Submitted by Janos Köhler a downhiller from Co. Wicklow, Ireland

Date Reviewed: February 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

At first I was very taken by the design, and the magazine reviews were promising. I proceeded to buy the 97 model in June of that same year, and encountered several problems whilst building it up.
First of all the cable stop for the front derailler was in the wrong place and so I had to have it removed and have it welded on somewhat further down the seat tube, so that the derailler cable could bypass the swingarm.
Secondly, the rear chain stays are far too narrow to accommadate any serious downhill tyre, such as the IRC Missile. (Michelin Wildgripper DH just barely fits!)
And thirdly, the disc brake mounts were malaligned (too far to the right as well as crooked ie bottom right part of the mounting bracket was further out than the top one). This added unnessisary labour and a serious deterioration in my humour to say the least when I had to install the brakes. The problem was finally rectified by filing off some of the inside of the disc brake mounts. There goes my warranty!
I would also say it is somewhat on the heavy side. The bushings could be a little less sloppy, and a better more adjustable shock wouldn't go astray.
One thing really going for it though is that it corners excellently especially at high speeds. Good overall handling.
Despite the above problems I will give it a rating of three stars.

Submitted by Neil a downhiller from whistler,Canada

Date Reviewed: January 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

Sketchy! this is one big clunky, sloppy, heavy frame! I think that the design has a lot of potential but this years was way to heavy and had some problems. first off right from the factory the frame has a loose rear end, and it will only get sloppyer bushings, second, the thing rides like a tank with a rock for a shox, the rear never felt plush like other high end Dh bikes and my last big problem was the weird feeling that the rear end feels like it locks up and pulls up under you during hard brakeing, this feels really bizzare the first few times, and just scary later, also the partial lock out during pedaling is good during flat sections of a race but bad everywhere else.
So as you can see I was very unimpressed, I don't know what they are going to do in '98 but the bike could be good with better berings and a plusher shox.
And it sure does look cool!! I think they need to make the front triangle out of Al not steel to lightin the load.
I would give it two stars but it has potential so it gets 3
See you on the hills

Submitted by C.B Dushane a downhiller from Colorado Springs,CO

Date Reviewed: January 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

World Force VR1 1997 Model. The first year that this frameset has been offered
was a good year. The frame design is of the four bar linkage design similar
to the Yeti/Lawill design. This design uses 6.25 inches of rear wheel travel
that is virtually unaffected by pedaling forces. I raced this framset in the
Colorado Off-Road Point Series. I finished first in the mens sport division for
downhill. The only problems with this frameset is the frames are prone to cracking along the seat
tube at a weld. The 1998 models have fixed this problem.
Another hiderance to this frmaset is it's weight. The 1998 models have also
been trimmed down about a pound. If you are looking for a great freeride/downhill frame this is it.
You can buy a Yeti/Schwin but why spend the extra $800-1000 on a framset when you will get a
comparable frame for a great
price.