Ventana Marble Peak FS Frame Frameset

4.73/5 (30 Reviews)

Ventana Marble Peak FS Frame

Submitted by mark a Weekend Warrior from chicago, IL, US

Date Reviewed: July 24, 2007

Strengths:    Superior overall quality, design and execution, incredible rear end stiffness with luxury automobile-type ride quality. Of course the renowned amazing customer service.

Weaknesses:    No such word exists at Ventana

Bottom Line:
I bought this very heavily used frame at the end of last year (2006)for my wife, to set up as a heavy-duty all mountain/trailbike (hence the weight). I restored it as best as I could without stripping the paint. It is 10 years old and rides better than most if not all brand new high end bikes. It's that good. I have another Ventana, a custom 6" El Saltamontes and the rear triangle is not as tight as the Marble Peak. Another gem from Sherwood, but kindly disregard all of the above, as I plan on buying up all of the used ones that I find, for myself, family and friends.

Similar Products Used:   Other Ventana's, jamis, gt, giant, specialized, khs, etc.

Bike Setup:   Medium red with el salt rear triangle (disc) and longer rockers (travel actually 4"), fox vanilla r coilover, trick titanium bushing pivot bolts, marzocchi marathon xc 100-120 fork, magura julie hydraulic brakes, carbon bar, WTB saddle, sram x9, shimano xt/mavic xm wheels with WTB motoraptors, etc. Weight between 29-30 lbs due to the heavy wheels/tires. Could be 26-27 or lower with air shock and xc wheels/tires.

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Canberra, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2000

Strengths:    It looks awesome and rides like it looks: laterally stiff rear end (for a average weight rider) and climbing traction is brilliant. Descending: tracks like it's on rails and goes boing like a boingy thing should. Lovely balance between responsiveness and forgiveness.

Weaknesses:    Nothing major, ocasionally squeaky pivot which is easily fixed with a bit of lube.

Bottom Line:
A work of art, and the best general fun trail riding bike I could imagine. Sweet, responsive, won't throw the unwary. There are longer travel rigs around, but for a good balance of weight, response, climbing and descending this is the goods.

And did I mention it goes boing?

Similar Products Used:   Various other ppl's fs bikes

Bike Setup:   Got it second hand in very good condition with the 3.5"
rocker and a Fox Alps4 shock. I set it up Bomber Z1 BAMs on the front (with 5" travel). I was initially worried these it would slacken the head angle too much. Was I wrong!,..with an inch of sag on the forks and 10wt oil get the compression damping right and with the rear shock set firm, the thing flies. With some light-ish bits and a good wheelset it isn't too weighty either.

Submitted by Alvin a Weekend Warrior from Walnut Creek, CA

Date Reviewed: December 20, 1999

Strengths:
weight, cache, looks, welder (Sherwood Gibson), customer service (Charlie Gallagher), design

Weaknesses:
a bit dated, bushings

Bottom Line:
This is my first full suspension bike and I have to say I'm probably the last HT convert on the face of the planet and I just have one thing to say, why did I wait so long? This is a trailbike, make no mistake about it. People say this can be used for cross country. These are hardcore riders not weekend warriors. I built this up to get it as light as I could within budget. It came in around 25 lbs. That's pretty light, but I also own a Dean Oscar and that weighs around 22.5 lbs. I'll take it on longer trips without missing a beat. Anyway, full suspension is nice uphill and down. Uphill, I feel more secure. The bike really grips the curvature of the path and I feel like I'm making a connection. It's the downhill, where this bike shines. It'll carve a corner and almost make the corrections for you, it's that accurate. The rebound clicker is set to 2 and there is no evidence of bounce. With the four bar design, this baby locks on the uphill and becomes full active on the downhill. Very good design Sherwood! Sure, there's plenty of alternatives out there, but when the dust of time settles, the aesthetics of this bike will take it well into the next millenium. Horst, URT, whatever, those designs simply can't hold a candle to a traditional diamond frame. Call me sentimental, but this thing looks and behaves like a work of art on wheels. I chose the parts selection very carefully and have to thank Cambria Bikes for making this bike a reality. I am building a website for this bike soon, so email me if you would like the address. All the parts mentioned in the setup will have a review, so check em out. I give truthful honest review. Sure, I could've reviewed these products the minute I pieced the bike together six months ago, but I wanted to see how well things held up over time. Read on to find out how the other parts on this bike faired. Peace and 5 flaming chicken grease.

Briones Trail

6 months

FSR-XC, K2

XTR build, 8 speed, Selle Italia Gel Titanium Kevlar saddle, Manitou SX-TI Carbon, Time ATAC Carbon Pedals, DuraAce Chain, Mavic 217 rims/GT CNC hubs, Michelin Wildgrippers, Race Face LP cranks, Azonic ORC stem, Azonic 1.5 riser, Thomson seatpost, Serfas grips, Cane Creek C-2, Fox Alps 5R air shock,

Submitted by Larry Magoo a cross-country rider from USA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 1999

Bottom Line:

I have been riding a Marble Peak FS for almost 4 years now and love it just as much as when I first got it. I have White Bros SC 90's and the 3.5 travel kit on the rear and thru careful choice of components got the thing to 24.00 LBS! With the ultra stable rear end(yes they had some evolution with different bushing materials, but at least they were always willing to repair it for free. They inspected my frame after my first bearing replacement, and found a crack in the downtube/head tube junction. They never hesitated to replace, for free, the front tube set!) Now they have a material that is to last a while. Other large companies would not respond that way, thats for sure. Besides, the owner, Sherwood Gibson personally welds all tube sets! What a commitment! I very much LOVE this bike! In fact, I just got thru building a brand new EL Fuego. Think of this bike as an even MORE Responsive, but ONE POUND LIGHTER Marble Peak! By the time I get my soon forth coming White Bros. UL 90's and Mora-Ti Crank, I will have a ride that weighs 22.25 LBS! Do you know how to spell awesome!!!VENTANA RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Submitted by Slim a racer from Milwaukie OR

Date Reviewed: January 9, 1999

Bottom Line:

I believe the Ventana Marble Peak is one of the best bikes made. The frame is fairly light, has excellent suspension action, and is very simple and reliable.I had an El Habanero that I sent to Ventana to get the bushings replaced for free, and they called me to say that the frame was cracked. After I finished freaking out they told me they would warranty it and send me an upgraded frame for nothing, oh how I love small companies that stand behind their products. I've put over 1500 miles on my new frame with no problems and virtually no bushing wear, and the powder coat paint still looks like new. All in all a great frame.

Submitted by Slim a racer from Milwaukie OR

Date Reviewed: January 9, 1999

Bottom Line:

Ventana makes some of the best bikes in the world. Well at least thats my opinion. I started out with an El Habenero in '96. I raced it for a full year and beat it up in Moab, but sure enough it started getting a litle loose in the rear end. I called Ventana and asked about it, they told me if I sent it to them they would replace them for free and pay to ship it back. A few days after they received it they called me to say the frame was cracked. After I finished freaking out they said they could send me a new Marble Peak for a couple hundred bucks. I've been riding my new frame for over a year now and the bushings are still like new. It's amazing the customer service you get from small companies,and I really enjoy supporting the little guy. The frame is stiff, has excellent ride characteristics, is fairly light, and all around kicks ass. I'd recommend this bike to anyone who is serious and has the funds for a custom frame.

Submitted by Bob S. a cross-country rider from Claremont, Calif.

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

I just finished building a Marble Peak. I got it on a deal, but it's a 20 and I'm sure an 18 would fit better. So no crotch room - but does it ride nice! Yes. I am very pleased. Downhills way better than my old Manitou FS. Climbing is very similar with slight rear movement and a plush feel. Cornering is excellent. Way better than the Manitou. I didn't realize the difference in newer suspension technology. Probably shocks and dampening are the most important. I put good stuff on:
White Bros 70 UL fork
Race Face Crank
XTR derailers
Bontrager Mustang rims, Chris King Hubs
Total weight 24.25Wasn't cheap. Would I do it again? Yep.
I like it alot. I might trade someone for a shorter frame size.
I give it a five.

Submitted by Jeff a cross-country rider from Mass

Date Reviewed: November 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

Got a Marble Peak at the begining of last winter(Dec 1997)
Needed to get a dualie because I was recovering from a broken back and could not ride a hard tail. WOW.... this has been a great bike! It climbs very similiar to a hard tail and when you go down hill, look out!!!
The only comment on the negative side is the maintence issue of any dualie, you have to keep them clean to expect the best from them!!BTW...I am selling mine, a 20 trans purple with 4.5 travel kit, and Sachs front derailleur...$950(why am I selling? Two reasons, one my wife bought it for me as a getting better present and we have since divorced and it is a painful reminder, and two, the damn thing scares me on the down hills-having broken my back I tend to be pretty careful now, however this bike makes it feel like you are going slowly even when you are blowing past all your ridding buds on every descent!A great bike!!!
e-mail jkellogg@bcn.net if interested

Submitted by Tom a racer from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: November 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

This bike is awsome, I am a clydsdale rider and after breaking several different manufactures frames this one has been bullet proof. Two full seasons of riding and still haven't had pivot problems, will probavly send it in this winter just for preventive reasons. The ONLY flaw that I can find with this bike is on steep technical climbs the front end gets very light. I raced it ten times this season and kicked ass on many a hard tail.

Submitted by charlie a cross-country rider from kinnelon, nj, usa

Date Reviewed: September 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

i got to ride one of these bikes at dirt camp and i have to say that i am still impressed by it. my friend now has one and he has been riding it for more than 2.5 years, and he still has had no problems. as for my own riding of it, it is the greatest thing on two springs, if you think that the bike should be suspended and not just your butt, this is the bike for you, climbs, corners, flies.

Submitted by Patrick a cross-country rider from Bruettisellen, Switzerland

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

Awesome bike! The frame is very stiff, the suspension is always active but still it does not bob. The built-quality seems to be very good. Never had a problem until today (only half a year but I ride often).
It's a joy to ride the Marble Peak up- and downhill. It is light and nimble and it looks cool.
All I can say: Get one!!

Submitted by Keith a cross-country rider from Littleton, CO

Date Reviewed: August 22, 1998

Bottom Line:

This is my second season on my Marble Peak and it is without a doubt, one of the best full suspension bikes around. It climbs with the best hardtails, handles the downs with great aplomb and craves technical singletrack. You will amaze yourself with the difficult terrain you will be able to ride once you get used to the bike. Make sure you give it some time to get used to, especially you hardtail converts. Yes, I had problems with the bushings freezing up, but Russell at Ventana was great. He recieved my frame on a Friday and it was on it's way back to me on Monday. Can't beat that for service. I highly recommend this frame to anyone. . . it takes a licking and keeps on. . . well, you know.

Submitted by Michael a cross-country rider from v.a

Date Reviewed: August 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

tHIS BIKE RULES !!! This bike outclimbs anything and devours singletrack here in Virginia. What I can't understand is why I'm the only one around here with one. People around here seem content with spend 4000 on Cannondales with sloppy swing arms. Oh well. As for those who want to complain about the cheesy stickers; Is'nt it nice to know that instead of your downtube looking like crap after a few downhill runs, it's just your stickers that are galled. I'd say Ventana was thinking ahead to just how bad bikes can looks after their permanently embedded logo's start spelling out strange words. I also believe Bontrager did the same thing come to think of it. As for bushing wear, Ventana offered to send me a hundred of 'em free. And as for the ride, nothing else compares. I'm stopping now and going riding

Submitted by charlie a cross-country rider from southport, ct

Date Reviewed: June 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

this is a follow up to my review below. still love the bike after almost 2 seasons of riding, however, the pivots do wear out at least every 12mo.s and thats not hardcore daily riding either. Ventana is very good about replacing the pivots free of charge but you have to send the bike to them which for me means 2 weeks of downtime (unless you pay mega bucks to overnite your bike to CA). I think that its time for those engineers at Ventana to come up with a pivot that is replacable by the owner, at least with my old GT LTS I could do it myself and be back on the trail. Has anybody else tried using some type of boot etc. to cover the main pivots from dirt etc. or is it just the friction that wears the bushings out so quick? Let me know cause taking the bike apart, mailing it to Ventana and then road riding for 2 weeks is beat....

Submitted by Ken Burns a racer from Upland, CA 91786

Date Reviewed: May 12, 1998

Bottom Line:

To be honest, I hated this this bike for the 1st 3 months I owned it. I have the 4 1/2 inch rockers & FOX 5R on the rear and Z1 Bomber on the front. I built it with super hi-end components & it came in at 26 lbs. Not a bad weight so I expected it to climb like the wind but it didn't. I could not stand the monkey motion while climbing. The excessive movement drove me crazy & made me much slower adding as much a 7 min to my normal 6 mile Time Trial (hardtail) time. I had to send my Noleen shock in to K2 to get rebuilt on my FS Giant team 990 which took 4 months, so I started riding the Marble Peak. With some setup changes, I got it to perform very nicely. Heavy springs in the Z1 and massive preload on the FOX. It is not very supple on the small stuff but will take large hit very effectively. After 6 months of riding it, I have learned to spin and climb smoother and absolutely love it. I just put my Giant back together (3 1/2 inches of travel) and it feels like a hardtail by comparison. If you set the Ventanna up soft it will downhill like a dream but climb poorly. Stiffen every thing up, and most hard core riders will love this bike.