Turner Burner Frame Frameset

4.72/5 (29 Reviews)

Turner Burner Frame

Submitted by Brenton Shiells a Downhiller from Moama, NSW, Australia

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2003

Strengths:    good back shock and head tube.

Weaknesses:    the bottem bracket tube with the seat pole snapped in two over a piss weak jump and i'm pissed off about it.

Bottom Line:
it's a heap of crap that lasted me about three weeks before it broke. i hate it and will never get another Turner again, (unless someone gives me one). it's good for someone who can't jump or do drops.

Favorite Trail:   twisties

Purchased At:   bikes and trikes

Similar Products Used:   none, i'm too poor

Bike Setup:   mozo tripple clamp forks, fox rx shock, smo wheels, shimano crank.

Submitted by MITCHELL a Cross Country Rider from CLIFTON,VA USA

Date Reviewed: June 23, 2000

Strengths:    quality, plush ride, and handles everything with the greatest of ease.

Weaknesses:    COST$$$ on the other hand its no more expensive then the other high end frames. In some cases cheaper, alot cheaper.

Bottom Line:
I have been riding this bike for over three years now.This is the best bike I have ever riden'. The fully active suspension brings maximum traction and grip in any situation. I did change the rear shock FOX alps 5R to a FOX TC with 1.75" of travel. This really added to a plush ride along with extra travel too. This coil works much better on East coast riding; lots of Sharp/fast hits (rocks, roots, etc..). The coil allows the rear tire to roll over the rocks, roots, keeping trackion to a maxium. Note: not all coil shocks are equal! I've riden' on some really bad coil shocks.

Handling is a dream, At high speed as well as low speed technical sections, very fast and nimble. Climbing or descending this bike is great, No bobbing,no flexing, no harsh bottoming out; Feels like the bike always has more to give; More to give it does, its saved me from crashing more then once, with its suburb handing.

I let a friend ride it; He owns a Specialized FSR. After riding it his comment was "This bike is an unfair advantage"
He's now saving to buy one.

The big question is always would you buy another one? Well I did! I bought an O2 which should be here in a couple of weeks. I'll be putting hayes disk brakes on this one. I rode a bike with Hayes disk brakes and I have to have a bike with them.

Similar Products Used:   Proflex
Specialized FSR
GT
Trek Y
Most all Full suspension bikes. I like to ride and compare all bikes.

Bike Setup:   Custom; The best parts for the money that fit me. Too much to list. bike wieght 24lbs w/coil shocks

Submitted by Uncle Nick a Weekend Warrior from Wigan, Lancashire, Good Old Blighty

Date Reviewed: May 5, 2000

Strengths:    It's strength. It's plushness.

Weaknesses:    Literally none.

Bottom Line:
Well the Turner Burner Tandem isn't available as a whole bike so I guess I have to review it as a frameset.

Big burly and very very capable this bike has withstood XC and DH racing in the UK (and we weren't last) and is also used for two day orienteering events towing a BOB trailer full of all the kit two people need for a weekend in the wilds + half a cse of wine.

Rides more like a solo than any other tandem I've ever been on. Needs 6" forks at the front (we had 4" Mr Dirts before the Boxxers). Make sure they get 2" sag to avoid top out and the balance with the rear (even at only 4") nicely. No fears of endoing mean downs can be tackled fast and hard so disc brakes are essential for stopping.

It eats drivetrain components (bye bye Hugi rear hub) but the Spot and Hope stuff are lasting fine. Rear wheels are another of it's favourite foods, and definitely need big ol' rims such as Black Diamonds. Even Aeroheat Deep Vs last longer than the Mavic 121s it came with.

Tubeless tyres are the latest flavour of the month for pinch protection. I wouldn't like them on an XC bike but a double blowout at 40mph on a tandem is not an experience to repeat.

Any worries about the longevity linkages of Turners can be put to rest because if they can survive on this bike they'll survive on anything. 5 years old, shoddy maintenance and still perfectly aligned, active, and not in the least bit sloppy.

Dave Turner only built this one for the LA bike show in '95 but he's promised to make any more "when he gets the time", so if enough peple pester him...

So there you go. Not cheap. Last a lifetime. More fun than you know how to handle.

Favorite Trail:   Devils Causeway, North Yorkshire - but Garburn Pass now close second

Similar Products Used:   1 week on a Collella tandem (all will make sense, really) racing and touring West coast of Scotland.

Bike Setup:   Boxxer Forks, Hope hubs and discs, 250lbs pressure in Fox Alps 4R, suspension seatpost, Spot timing chain rings (because they're designed not to shift), Rigida Rims with Continental Double Fighter tubeless tyres, XTR mechs, BOB skewers (for the BIG loads), bell.

Submitted by James a Weekend Warrior from Hacienda Hts

Date Reviewed: November 12, 1999

Strengths:
It does everything very well. Climbs effciently and handles downhill with grace.

Weaknesses:
maybe a little more travel. or a bit lighter....(that is 2 things doesn't come together)

Bottom Line:
A true trail bike. This is the bike you want to ride everyday in every trail. sure it is not a 6+ travel DH machine or 22 lbs XC racer, but it is what you need for every ride. for others, there are the Stinger, RFX or the DH machine.

submarine rock, Sedona

6 months

Proflex 857, Specialize FSR, Foes Weasle

Manitou X-vert, King Disgotech, Easton Monkeylite, SRAM Bettsy and Kooka Bonnie.

Submitted by Edwin a Cross-Country Rider from Amsterdam

Date Reviewed: August 21, 1999

Strengths:
handling,suspension,
frame construction and finish

Weaknesses:
hard to get

Bottom Line:
Climbing and descending this bike is a dream.No bobbing,no harsh bottoming.Feels like it always has more to give.
The full active suspension brings maximum traction and grip in any situation.
Smooooth pivots,superb shock.
Handling is awesome.At high speed as well as technical sections.
Very,very stiff frame.Pure propulsion.
Bottom line:I've owned and/or ridden most suspension systems.
The Turner distributor in Holland more than once told me:Yeah,but it's not a Turner.
He was right.
Tip:always use the ferrules,full lenght cable housing will get pinched near the seattube and shifting will be erratic.

Roque los Muchachos

Easton carbon riser bar,
bike = 24.5 lbs

Submitted by SIMON a Weekend Warrior from AUSTRALIA

Date Reviewed: June 8, 1999

Strengths:
EVERYTHING YOU NEED OUT OF A 4 INCH ALL PURPOSE DO EVERYTHING, SOLID ALLROUNDER.
NO BELLS AND WHISTLES.

Weaknesses:
MADE IN THE USA.
NO DISTRIBUTER IN AUST.

Bottom Line:
99 SPEC XCE, THIS BIKE DOES EVERYTHING SO WELL FROM THE GEOMETRY, THE BALANCED TRAVEL FRONT TO BACK ITS SUBLIME.
WHEN I RIDE IT YOU JUST FEEEL ITS REFINED AND HAD A PERSONAL TOUCH BY SOMEBODY IN THE KNOW. (NOT SOME MASS PRODUCED HAMBURGER)
SOMETIMES WISH I HAD A RFX AND THEN ON THE OTHER HAND WISH I HAD THE STINGER.
WHEN I THINK ABOUT IT THE FRAME,HOW DAVE SPECS THE BIKES, SERVICE, 100 PLUS FAXES BY MY SELF AND PHONE CALLS
BEST OUT THERE
GOOD TO SEE THE YANKS KEEP PRODUCING TOP NOTCH PRODUCTS LIKE THE SIMPSONS, KFC AND YES THE O HENRY BAR MMMM
YOU GUYS PRODUCE THE GOODS WE WILL PRODUCE THE RIDERS.

3 months

NON, LUCKY TO HAVE PUCHASED SUCH A PRODUCT STRAIT OF THE BAT.

Submitted by Dave a downhiller from California

Date Reviewed: February 4, 1999

Bottom Line:

Copying competition: Kona, KHS, McMahon, Ellsworth, Chuck, Litespeed, and a few others that have attempted to duplicate the original rocker bike. I have ridden ALL those and put time in on FS bikes from such companies as Specialized, Rotec, Intense, Karpiel, GSR, GT, Titus, DBR, Rocky Mountain, Ventana, and Santa Cruiz bicycles. NONE ride as well as the Turner's do. Some have done well and come close. I have ridden all the 98 Turner's and a few 99 models, I currently own the 99 RFX and have a 96 AfterBurner, and had a 94 VenTurner. The Turner bikes just flat out work better in every riding situation than any of the above listed that I have spent plenty of time on.
Some of those copy cats which run the Horst link on the seat stay, and tend to chatter too much on braking bumps like the Kona did badly, and in general are not as smooth riding as the correct Horst Link position as on the Turners's. On some bikes the suspension worked so badly that they felt like a hard tail with low air in the rear tire, and skipped all over the trail. My 99 RFX has bushings, some of the other bikes I tested had sealed bearings, and the RFX bushings are so silky smooth that other people who ride mine think its got high quality sealed bearings! Some of those other bikes with the bearings were not as smooth as the bushings that Turner has used on his bikes over the years.
I tried hard to like the Specialized FSR and buy it, but it never felt good enough, just felt like a good run of the mill bike out there, some of the other bikes did ride well, and did not dissapoint, but the Turner just works and rides better than all that I tested.
Finally, to Daz, who had a bad encounter, sorry to hear that, If you want to ride hard and jump a bit, do extreme stuff or basically free ride hard? It is important to buy the right bike for your type riding, an RFX would do you so much better than that Santa Cruiz, which I thought rode almost at the bottom of the results I compiled from the bikes I tested. You should give a Turner another chance, cuz I have never heard of a Turner failing under riding conditions it was intended for.
On the chili rating chart that goes to 5, I give any Turner a 10!

Submitted by SST a cross-country rider from NC

Date Reviewed: November 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

WOW!!!!!! What else can I say! I've been riding a yo eddy for the last 5 years (see review) and never gave full suspension a real thought until about 4 months ago. I worked in a shop for years and I've ridden so many FS bikes I can't even remember them all. I do remember thinking how bad they all sucked! Anyway I started reading up on a few different FS bikes, I came up with about 3 bikes that might be good . I had a stroke of good luck and got a killer deal on a turner! I never thought I would say it, but this bike is the best riding bike I've ever been on! It does everything my yo eddy does and then some! On downhills this bike is a rocket and I get so much traction climbing I can go up anything. Jumps have taken on a new meaning, gaps I only thought about on my hardtail are no problem! This bike is fast, you all most forget your riding full suspension! Built solid with no nonsence parts (XTR, SYNCROS, JUDY, DB spokes on 217s) it's 25 lbs. Sell your car, pawn anything you've got, rob a bank, or just write a check it's more then worth it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Big thumbs up to Mr.Turner!! Thanks for building the best bike made!!!

Submitted by George Lewis a cross-country rider from Lafayette, CO

Date Reviewed: October 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have raced my Burner for a year and put about 750 hard, colorado-rocky technical miles on it and had no problems at all. The rear suspension is still tight and has been minimal maintenance (I wore out the Alps 4 that came with it and now ride an Alps 5 though - purchased from Turner directly). The Turner people are great to work with and definitely stand behind their product.As far as riding performance, I don't have a lot of FS experience to judge it against. I have Ridden Specialized FSR and Schwinn's floating drivetrain and they don't compare to either the active climbing performance, the technical control or the downhill performance of the Turner.

Submitted by Murray from cross-country rider

Date Reviewed: August 3, 1998

Bottom Line:

Brought the Turner XCE frame about 9 nomths ago and built it up with XT, XTR groupset and Z2 AQtom Bombs. Excelent frame construction however found the original 400lb spring rear coil spring was a a wee light for my 154lb and needed to be upgraded to a 550lb one.Ride is excelent with no rear bob during out of set climbs

Submitted by Daz a weekend warrior from England

Date Reviewed: July 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

Had a Burner XC, snapped it by riding too hard as Turner said. Took me months to get it replaced (it was 11 months old). Sold it now and buying a Santa Cruz Heckler. Turner was nice but the warranty is crap, Santa Cruz look after their customers. Cheers, Daz, Manchester, England.

Submitted by Tommy Hamrick a cross-country rider from Tampa, Fl

Date Reviewed: July 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

After an aluminum hardtail that started as a $600 rigid STX bike and ended five years later as a nearly $2000 hardtail with xt/xtr components and a Mag/21 Sl-Ti, I decided to get a full suspension bike, a nice one. I rode it all, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, GT, Pro-Flex, Klein, Santa-Cruz, you name it, if I saw it and could get my hands on it, I test rode it. To tell the truth, I didn't like any of them very much. After going back to my magazine collection for research I decided on a Turner Burner. It was always rated as the ultimate XC full suspension bike. Well, I've had it for three months and approximately 400 miles: 17 Burner XC frame, full XTR component group, Atom Bomb, and Syncros Accessories. I am normally a spend thrift and after spending 7 years starving to get through college and graduate school, I like to get a lot for my money. I just spent $4,000 on a bicycle, my friends think I am crazy, but I am finally satisfied. It is an outstanding piece of machinery. You want plush, back off of the Atom Bomb's preload and go to 66% of you body weight for the psi setting in the Alps 5R. You want stiff, more preload and higher psi. I had a nice hardtail before, but to sum it up, what I keep telling people who ask me about the bike is that I can do things on the Turner that I simply couldn't do on my aluminum hardtail. The Burner holds rough lines better, handles tight singletrack much better, climbs worlds better, descends better, and generally allows me to go faster and longer through a variety of terrain. Hey, if your hobby is riding a ATB then you owe it to yourself to get the best bike that you can afford so that you enjoy your hobby to the maximum. I couldn't be happier.

Submitted by Sam Burkhardt a downhiller from Seattle WA

Date Reviewed: May 20, 1998

Bottom Line:

Oh my! I have a late model '97 Afterburner DH. This bike is amazing. The rear is very plush and stiff. It has 6.2 of travel but it barely bobs. The machined BB/pivot/shock mount is a work of art. It has the biggest gusset I have ever seen. Mine is a X-Large which fits me perfectly (220lbs 6'3) It has a 23.25 top tube and a 19 seat tube. I am running a Hanebrink 6 travel fork on the front the combination is incredible. It is the best bike I have ever ridden. My freinds Intense M1 SL with X-vert Ti is equally good though. Our bikes weigh about the same, his is about a half pound lighter. and neither are very heavy for DH bikes. If you can get your hands on a Turner Dh buy it, they are incredible bikes. The waiting list for the frame is about as long as an Intense.

Submitted by dan wolfik a downhiller from Brisbane, Australia

Date Reviewed: March 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

Turners rock! Say no more. I've got the downhill frame ( a 1996 front triangle) but I managed to get hold of a long travel kit including a fox rx from a friend who used to race the norba series for turner. It is super plush and never feels like it is bottoming harshly> I recently raced it in two rounds of the Aussie national dh series and the tracks were pretty chewed and full of big braking bumps. I had bombers on the front at the time ( now Risse champs with disc) and they were gettig thrashed but the rear was amazing. Expensive but so are formula one cars.

Submitted by Tom Boszko a weekend warrior from West Midlands, England

Date Reviewed: November 17, 1997

Bottom Line:

Phenomenal! I have had my yellow XCE for 2 months now and haven't found a fault. It blasts down the downhills with ease and doesn't even bob on the climbs. It looks great and the workmanship is fantastic. It's the ideal bike for all round riding. SAVE UP THE MONEY AND BUY IT!!

Burner rear frame rigidity

I am considering a Burner for my next frame. A couple of years back I had a Ventana Bastardo which had excellent lateral rigidity. I haven't ridden anything that compares with it in that regard, but do miss that quality. I had a Tallboy LT which was rigid enough, but not on the level with that Ve ... Read More »

Paid Spam: Turner Burner Frame w/ RP3 - Large Black $350

[url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=61603[/url] Thanks for looking!Read More »

Need frame geometry specs for a 19" Burner '04

Sorry, but I've searched and searched. Turner doesn't have them anymore, and I have a L frame to sell, and want to put the geometry into the ad. Thanks BobRead More »

Spam: Turner Burner Horst Link frame (XL) for sale

[URL="http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=36285&cat=500"]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=36285&cat=500[/URL]Read More »

SPAM -- '04 Turner Burner frame, small

[url]http://classifieds.mtbr.com/showproduct.php?product=25973&cat=[/url] Thanks for looking.Read More »