Trek Y-33 Frameset

4.16/5 (43 Reviews)

Trek Y-33

Submitted by SAGIST a Cross Country Rider from NY,NY USA

Date Reviewed: May 4, 2011

Strengths:    excellent frame and components super light for a dual

Weaknesses:    slight bob out of the saddle(no fly switch on the 95)

Bottom Line:
Ridden this bike both casually and have raced it! There is a reason i can still jump on this thing and hammer! Awesome!

Favorite Trail:   plattekill,ny

Purchased At:   james and vincent bi

Similar Products Used:   specialized fsr

Bike Setup:   bought it when it came out in 95..all original since purchase xtr components white industries hubs ti post and skewers. only new saddle grips and tires

Submitted by washington_desert_rat a Cross Country Rider from Moses Lake, WA USA

Date Reviewed: August 30, 2010

Strengths:    Light. Seriously light.

Weaknesses:    Lots of work to dial it in for a rider.

Bottom Line:
We specifically looked for and bought Trek Y bikes because we're both older but still like to ride and wanted to make our riding more fun. My wife's 1996 Y-33 (in Judy yellow) is a medium frame and almost completely stock except some previous owner replaced the Stratos shock with a Fox. It is incredibly light. She has some shoulder problems and the plush ride of the Y-33 means that she actually enjoys going out riding with me and doesn't hurt after we're home. The downside is that the Y-33 is so light she can climb past me.

My Y has a white frame with red lettering and an "OCLV" sticker on it. The previous owner had no idea what model it had been but thought it was a "Y-50" (unlikely given the frame color). It's a large frame made even larger by the components (Marzuchhi Bomber forks with a Clara disc brake, new front wheelset, FoxPro rear shock with a spring preload, extended cranks and large platform pedals).

I had to take about an inch of the spring preload off to get the Fox shock to even work with me on it. I have knee issues from an old injury and can't bend one knee beyond about 115 degrees making it difficult to ride a bicycle unless the frame large enough to get the seat post up to a decent height. This bike, by sheer luck, is actually almost TOO big. The upside to that is there is a crapload of clearance and a great view over the heads of everyone else. The downside is that if I fall off it's a long way down.

When we decided to get a pair of Trek Y-frame bicycles it was because they were outdated and in less demand by the mtb crowd; so they were cheaper. Her Y-33 was $375 and mine was only $275 (hell, the shocks and the shifters are worth more than that used!). We don't try to race down hills but we both like to find challenging trails nearby and spend a day riding them. I'm 67 years old and my wife is 55 so we were looking for bikes that would absorb some of the abuse instead of passing it along to us but still be responsive and fun to ride.

So far we are both incredibly impressed by the ability of the Y-framed Treks to do everything we've asked of them. We've taken trails that we are pretty sure we would have passed by on our old hardtails and we can climb hills better now than 30 years ago (thanks partly to fast-twitch muscles evolving into slow-twitch muscles). These Treks keep us in shape but don't brutalize us on a fast downhill and can turn around and take us back up.

Like the previous reviewer said, if you want a great ride at an amazing price find a Y11, Y22, Y33 or Y50 that's been well cared for and give it a good home. At the prices these things are going for (around $400 or so) they are bargains.

I give the Y-33 five chilis for value and 4 overall.

Favorite Trail:   cross country

Purchased At:   private party

Similar Products Used:   Trek 4500, Diamondback something-or-other, Many road bikes

Bike Setup:   Y-33 is stock but with a Fox shock in place of the Stratos. My Y has Marzuchhi Forks, Fox Pro shock, XTR components, Front disc brake,

Submitted by crankedandhammered a Weekend Warrior from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2010

Strengths:    super light weight, unusual design, great handling, super fast when you get it dialed in and become accustomed to riding it.

Weaknesses:    a little bob (I'd give it a 4.5 because of this, but that wasn't an option, so had to go with 5). I didn't have the lock out on mine however, so that might have been a nice addition.

Bottom Line:
First of all, thanks to MTBR for a great site and info. It and the reviewers have been invaluable for me in my search for my next bike and parts, so I thought I should post my experiences with my bikes as well.

I've been riding mountain bikes since the early years - before suspension. My first was a Stump Jumper (good bike, but it wasn't long before I needed an upgrade). I moved on to a GT Zaskar with one of the first Rock Shox and what an improvement. Then just as I was building my second Zaskar they way I wanted it, a guy I knew who'd got a bike through the team he was riding for, sold me his Trek Y which he'd only had a short time and wasn't using any longer. That was the best $1000 I spent and most fun I've ever had. Unfortunately, my new custom Zaskar then sat in the garage for the next 12 years.

The Zaskar was a great bike, and fast, but the light weight full suspension of the Y just blew it away. My over all speed felt like it doubled! I still thought my Zaskar was a better climber, but for the over all ride, the Y was much better and I was a lot less hammered at the end of hard rides. I used to be maybe a middle rider with the guys I rode with, but when I switched to fs they got left in the dust - there were only a few that picked up fs bikes that kept up well. So if someone's complaining about being stuck behind a Y bike, believe me, it's the rider, not the bike that's slowing them down. On many rides I'd end up taking brakes to wait for friends to catch up (enjoying the nature around me), or be back at the trail head waiting for a half hour or hour or more. Believe me this bike is not the cause of slowing anyone down.

For anyone who's reading these to research whether or not buy a certain bike, my advice is to pay attention to those who have actually owned the bike and ridden it for more than a few times, and disregard those who are speculating or have little experience in the saddle. If the real owners are giving a 4-5 star rating, that's good enough for me to consider giving it a try!

As for my Y - I loved it. It wasn't perfect, but no bike is. What ever you get, give it a chance; learn it's quirks; learn how to ride it; before tossing it off. I rode mine hard for over 12 years - it took some abuse, took some hard falls, big drops, etc. and it never once failed - no cracks, nothing. I finally sold it because it was time for a full rebuild (not the frame), so I chose to move on, instead of putting money into it. But no doubt I'll miss it.

And because of my experience with my Y, and the reviews I've read on MTBR, I decided to try another URT design - A Klein Mantra (always wanted to try one), and I'm Looking forward to that new experience.

Bottom line, if you're looking for a great bike for all around riding or cross country, consider giving a Y a try. Me personally, I'd much rather buy a top of the line bike or build one that's a few years old rather than buying a lower level new bike at the same price or dumping 4X the money or more on the latest fad. Read the reviews; look for one that's had low use (there out there everywhere); and have fun!

Favorite Trail:   love the rolling single track

Purchased At:   from racer / friend

Similar Products Used:   Klein Mantra

Bike Setup:   mostly XT with white bros hubs

Submitted by bearleft a Cross Country Rider from Lagrange KY USA

Date Reviewed: January 24, 2009

Strengths:    rider feed back, plushness and lockout

Weaknesses:    fork guts,pivot noise

Bottom Line:
For a 1996 it's a great bike! You will love it if your thinking about getting one.It is a outstanding c.c. racer/ rider at 24/25 lbs. good climber with lockout, exellent on rocky moderate downhills. The fork parts are available from :MOUNTIAN RACING Products www.mrp.com. Part #'s are wb-97-826 springs, wb-97-842 damper.

Favorite Trail:   otter creek loop

Purchased At:   clarksville schwinn

Similar Products Used:   930, homegrone fs

Bike Setup:   azonic shortie,white bros. fork guts (man what a differance)all else bone stock after 13 years of riding!!!!!

Submitted by Mark Huppertz a Cross Country Rider from Tijeras, NM, USA

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2007

Strengths:    I ride some of the rockiest stuff you can imagine, mostly loose to semi loose limestone, and really beat on my Y-22 (1995!) ant it still rocks. I just finished restoring it because I broke my rear URT (Trek replaced right away) and now it looks as good as it mashes. I have been upgrading the components over the years, but am still a bit heavy at 28lbs. My favorite part about riding this bike is I am a better rider when I am on it. The Y takes my bad line decisions and somehow keeps the wheels on the ground at any speed. It is stable through twisties, baby heads, and loose rock. When my bike was down I rode my son's Specialized S-Works hardtail and the trails kicked my butt. I don't know how anyone can ride a hard tail in the rocks for more than an hour...

Weaknesses:    I don't have a lockout on the back yet, so I can't totally mash in the lowest gears standing up. That's OK though because I use high gears when I stand up anyway.

Bottom Line:
I have yet to ride any bike at any price that is as light, plush, and nimble. I weigh 188 and haven't broken the carbon yet. I will mention that the pivots need to be cleaned now and then to keep them healthy.

Favorite Trail:   Cedro Peak Trail System

Similar Products Used:   S-Works carbon/titanium

Bike Setup:   Carbon bar, '03 Manitu Mars fork, XT rear d, XT brakes, awesome IRC Trail Bear tires, Mavic wheelset, custom oilite bronze center pivot bushing.

Submitted by Rob a Weekend Warrior from Livermore, CA

Date Reviewed: September 18, 2007

Bottom Line:
It's taken everything I've thrown at it - this includes some pretty sick stuff in Santa Cruz and Skeggs. I've heard of people blowing out the Strata Shock but I've never had problems with it. I wouldn't ride a full suspension bike without rear lockout capability. For those people who don't get it, they've obviously never tried to ride virtually unridable climbs - with the rear shock locked out this bike can do it. The lockout gives you the climbing control of a hardtail and puts your energy into the climb and not into the shock. 10 years and still going strong.

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Chain Reaction

Bike Setup:   Velociraptor tires, Salsa seatpost clamp. Rebuilt a few years ago with updated XT.

Submitted by Mo a Racer from Brussels, Belgium

Date Reviewed: December 23, 2006

Strengths:    looks and handles as if designed by Pininfarina

Weaknesses:    may one-chili weeners now and forever hold their tongue

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike several years ago from a Dutch pro rider. He had just gotten it from the store as a replacement for his busted Y-11, so the frame was brandnew. Luckily, he had a good sponsor so he sold it to a happy me.

The design is so very functional, yet looks like it could be on display at the Guggenheim. It's a shame they don't make these anymore. Perhaps their durability paired with a lifetime warranty proved too succesfull.

The bike could be very light, were it not for the heavy rear triangle. It's this rear geometry that also causes the bobbing. Just attach the pedals to the frame and replace the swingarm (some machining and/or welding is required).
If only I had the budget for titanium ...

Favorite Trail:   asphalt

Similar Products Used:   yo momma

Bike Setup:   Trek Y-33 frame, SRAM X.O
front: Suntour magnesium fork, Magura HS33, Spinergy revx
rear: DT Swiss shock , custom swingarm, Vuelta chromlite

Submitted by Scott a Cross Country Rider from Orme, Arizona, USA

Date Reviewed: December 7, 2006

Strengths:    I have a mixed-breed bike, one with the Y-33 rear triangle and a Y-SL 200(I think)front triangle. This has been a very solid frame. I live on a ranch at a boarding school, and am the bike shop mechanic there. I have many rough rock garden trails and technical ascents here, and this frame exceded all my expectations. My bike weighs about 25lbs! Solid and inspired confedence on the downhills, and was like an elevator on uphills. I am a light rider at just under 130lbs, and the suspension works superbly for that weight class. My friend is 165ish and it sags too much for him, even with a pumped up shock. And the looks. Everyone knows it is mine, and they all want one . . .

Weaknesses:    the stock rear shock had a bit too much rebound, so you I had a tendancy to spring off rocks. Now have a Fox float R, so much smoother. bobs a little, but for someone like me, not much at all. ocassionally some noise from the pivot, but easy to tighten back up

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike for a beginner looking for a sweet ride that doesn't cost allot. It is just as good for racing, as it can be built to weigh something close to a bike costing 2500+. As i mentoned before, works best for light riders. My friend got a Stumpjumper for $2,700 and it weighs about a pound and a half more! Great frame, really inspires confedence, and not very hard to maintain (only one pivot to tighten) I love it.

Favorite Trail:   Cauncy Ranch, Hell Ride

Similar Products Used:   K2 Zed sport, Gary Fisher Hoo Koo e Koo, GT outpost, various Stumpjumpers

Bike Setup:   Y frame, SID XC's, Tektro V brakes, LX rapidfire integrated shifters, XT rear and Deore front deraileurs, RaceFace Prodigy bars, Oxygen post and stem, specialized 7005 craks and bontrager rims, Fire XC pro tires.

Submitted by Hardcore from IL

Date Reviewed: February 8, 2005

Strengths:    It has lasted me a lifetime with hard abuse.

Weaknesses:    very few

Bottom Line:
Bottom line this bike has provided me with almost ten years of indestructable fun, I have riden all over utah,colorado,michigan,wisconsin. Those who say it sucks only show their lack of knowledge with it period. Wanna climb? lock out the rear, simple. Set the suspension for your weight and your good to go. It works great as a cross country bike not too heavy though I lightend mine. As far as durablity and carbon are concerned? I am not that heavy at 180lbs but I have taken 6' 7' drops no problem and some seriously fast unexpected 3' and 4'drops. This bike was some of the most well spent money I feel I have ever spent. It is a great all around performer.Too bad some people on here feel it is more of a image bike maybe they need to look at themselves a bit more.

Favorite Trail:   none too much fun at too many

Similar Products Used:   Just about everything.

Bike Setup:   xtr,brakes, fr Derail,pauls rear, sweetwings ti cranks, chris king headset, mavic crossmax ceramics, syncro ti seat pole, blah blah blah way too much to continue.Lightend or upgraded just about everything.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Jax, FL

Date Reviewed: November 15, 2004

Strengths:    lite weight, strong, Exelent climber

Weaknesses:    pedal bob when standing

Bottom Line:
Yea yea, there is no stock parts on this bike, but I can't buy a new one so I built one! That's how much I love this bike. It very lite (24.5 LBS) It's a unbelivable climber and with the rear lockout it's like a hard tail on the sprints. You can see it on this website under bikes/ Full suspension cross country (search) 2003 Trek Y33
Or this link http://gallery.mtbr.com/showphoto.php?photo=2386&password=&sort=1&cat=2&page=1

I sure wish Trek still made this bike just imagine This bike with Pro pedal or SPV !!!

Favorite Trail:   Santos,Hanna Park,Razzorbak

Purchased At:   Bicycles Ect.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 830, Trek Fuel 70, Trek Liquid 10, Specialized Stuntjumper

Bike Setup:   Full XT, Bontrager Race Lite wheelset, Easton EC70 carbon bar, stem and seatpost, Selle Italia SRL gel saddle, Cris King headset, Hutchinson Mosquito UST tires,Xpedo MAG/SL pedals, And Rock Shox SID (carbon crown)fork, and SId Lockout Rear!

Submitted by scott a Weekend Warrior from chandler, az, usa

Date Reviewed: May 11, 2004

Strengths:    Frame, weight, ability to climb, comfortable geometry.

Weaknesses:    afraid to use for aggressive riding. (i weigh 260 lbs) Its ugly but the carbon look is cool

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike not knowing i was getting an abused racing bike. I replaced every component on it within a year. But the frame is great. I use it for cross country, epic rides and light freeride and it does great on everything. I would recommend this ride to anyone in xc

Favorite Trail:   holbert- southmountain

Purchased At:   play it again sports

Bike Setup:   Nothing in this bike is origonal- full xt drivetrain and components(eveything)! Sun mammoth rims on xt hubs- not light but strong. velociraptor rubber. Sid race fork with a cane creek AD-12 rear shock.

Submitted by EVAN YOPP a Racer from PADUCAH, KY

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2003

Strengths:    VERY PLUSH AND LIGHTWEIGHT. THERE'S PROBIBLY A USE FOR THE LOCKOUT, BUT I HAVEN'T FOUND IT YET. AFTER YEARS OF RIDING A HARDTAIL, I DON'T EVEN CONSIDER LOCKING OUT. FOR A NINE YEAR OLD BIKE, IT HAS HELD UP VERY WELL CONSIDERING THE HELL IT'S BEEN THROUGH. STILL LOOKS LIKE NEW.

Weaknesses:    THE Y BIKE WAS AN AMERICAN ICON. WHEN IT WAS DISCONTINUED, IT WAS LIKE THE DEMISE OF THE CAMARO. THE ACHILLES ANKLE OF THE Y IS THE SHOCK BUSHINGS.

Bottom Line:
PROBIBLY THE BEST VALUE IN A USED BIKE. IF THEY WERE STILL MADE, THEY'D PROBIBLY BE THE BEST VALUE IN A NEW BIKE. THE BIKE IS VERY VERSATILE, AND CAN BE SET UP FOR VIRTUALLY ANY TYPE OF RIDING, FROM COMMUTER/ URBAN ASSULT VEHICLE, TO DOWNHILL, TO CROSS COUNTRY RACER.

Favorite Trail:   NORTH/ SOUTH TRAIL @LBL