Trek 8900 SL Frameset

4.67/5 (12 Reviews)

8900 SL

Submitted by muzikzohmbie a All Mountain Rider from Port Townsend,WA U.S.A.

Date Reviewed: March 20, 2012

Strengths:    very light,U.S.A.-made frame,Trek Alpha Red SL tubing,stiffness,durability,backed by Trek's great customer service and I am lucky enough to have a fantastic local bike shop(The Broken Spoke)to boot !

Weaknesses:    proprietary rear Hayes disc-brake set-up,but I have the adapter to upgrade to standard disc for future and run my XTR rim brakes anyways.

Bottom Line:
Great American-made frame with great "out-of-the-box" performance when it was in stock trim and even better when you add your own spec stuff.Solid XC hardtail with solid build quality !
I have ridden this on downhill,xc,cross-country,road bike courses and your standard urban routes on sunny,rainy and muddy days in the Pacific Northwest...and it takes them all in stride.I am 208 pounds and ride hard sometimes,but am a stickler for maintenance(checked before every ride).
I would recommend this for beginners to novice and even pros looking for an excellent XC bike capable of much more.
PROS=everything.
CONS=no complaints here :)

Favorite Trail:   rollercoaster

Purchased At:   private party

Similar Products Used:   K2,Cannondale,Kona,Research Dynamics Coyote AF six.

Bike Setup:   Trek 8900 19.5 frame,Specialized Direct Drive cro-moly fixed fork,Shimano XT 8-speed shifters/cranks/front derailleur,Shimano XTR rim brakes/brake levers/rear derailleur/8-speed cassette,Omni Racer carbon fiber seat post and stem risers,Selle white leather racing seat(Ti rails),Wellgo white magnesium/Ti pedals,Sette white XLR aluminum bar,Sette white Edge stem,Sun grips/security Ti skewers,Mavic 517 rims/DTSwiss spokes/Shimano XTR hubs,IRC Mythos XC 1.95 tires w/kevlar racelite tubes w/Presta valves

Submitted by ecubyrd a Cross Country Rider from Seoul, Korea

Date Reviewed: September 19, 2009

Strengths:    light and stiff

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I bought this to compliment my fs Jamis. It is mainly used as an urban commuter, as my Jamis is my trail bike. It is a joy to ride, even if I'm not using it on the trail. I've always been pretty partial to hardtails, and this one does not disappoint whatsoever. It was a great purchase. The value rating reflects what I paid for it used. It is in great condition and the previous owner added some nice upgrades (I added the Thomson stuff and it is still a good deal).

Favorite Trail:   urban riding

Similar Products Used:   I've had an HT from too many manufacturers to remember.

Bike Setup:   8900SL frame, Manitou Black Elite, XTR derailleurs, XT shifters and hubs, RaceFace Turbines, Thomson post and stem, CB Eggbeaters.

Submitted by Karl from East Lansing, MI

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2007

Strengths:    Light weight, stiffness

Weaknesses:    Bottom bracket spindle squeaks and moans...

Bottom Line:
I have really enjoyed this XC aluminum hardtail for around six years now. I use it mostly for commuting to work and school, so it lives an easy life (compared to what it was designed to withstand). The bottom bracket has always squeaked since it was new. Others have complained of the seat tube squeaking, but that has never been a problem for me. Unfortunately, I think my Trek 8900 may have rolled its last mile today. I noticed a small crack in the weld at the bottom of the left seat stay. I'm quite surprised to see this, since I am so gentle to the bike during my commute and only weigh 147lbs. If it weren't for this fatal flaw, I would rate the bike at either a 4 or 5 (out of 5), but a cracked weld is simply unacceptable. Don't get me wrong, this is an extremely fast and capable bike, so long as it remains in one piece.

Bike Setup:   Full Shimano XT, Manitou TI-SX shocks, Bontrager Mustang ceramic wheels

Submitted by himman himman a Racer from SOUTH KOREA

Date Reviewed: December 18, 2004

Strengths:    it's stiffness. STIFF! STIFF! STIFF!
this frame is awesome!
that just kicks my assssssss!!!!!!!
It climbs like a rocket!!
whenever I meet a lot of roadies, I always beat them with my 8900SL!
hey, it's not a road bike but this stuff is so fast that i can catch up with every roadies!!

Weaknesses:    none, nothing

Bottom Line:
the bottom line is that you just feel it if you get a chance... the first padal stroke would make you grin.

there r many other pricy and great frames out there but 8900's charicteristic's unparalled!

it's not difficult to speed up to 60Km/h whenever i want to.

about 5-6hours long ride doesn't hurt me never makes me feel tired..

awesome frame!

Favorite Trail:   ¼ö»ö»ê

Similar Products Used:   yeti, s-work M5, nicolai argon cc. etc.

Bike Setup:   8900sl MarathonSL Full XTR Chris King Wheel set...

Submitted by Tom Tubular a Downhiller from Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2001

Strengths:    Outlasted my expectations

Bottom Line:
First off, I didn't use this frame for its intended uses. Instead of pushing it up hills, I was pounding it down Bromuont (mountain bike/ski resort in Quebec, Canada). Therefore I am only rateing it on its durability. Last year, befor I got a real DH bike, this was my only ride. I rode it hard, very hard. Each time I went to Bromount people peerdicted that that would be the last day for the frame given it abused history. Well, the frame still works without any cracks or warps. I'm very impressed. The perfict score below is based on durability, I wont pretend to know it's XC charactoristics enough to write about them (though I heard its good for that to!).

Favorite Trail:   Bromount DH World Cup

Bike Setup:   Magura brakes, Z1 CR, DH stlye stem and wide handle bar.

Submitted by Peter Nelson a Weekend Warrior from Colne

Date Reviewed: November 5, 2001

Strengths:    I got it as a replace from trek under warranty when I snapped my Trek 7000 Frame :). Since i have it i've never looked back stiff and strong and very light and brilliant frame design, super fast on everything.

Weaknesses:    No rear disc mount so having to use an adatper.

Bottom Line:
Even with all that heavier kit on it still seem light to ride. You just don't feel like your having to put effort into ride so you can just sit back and enjoy knowing that the bike will get you down anything in one piece whatever the speed. This frame ROCKS :)

Favorite Trail:   lake district

Purchased At:   trek uk

Similar Products Used:   Trek 7000 Orange 02 Scott and Marin Indian Fire Trail

Bike Setup:   8900sl Frame, Hope Mini and Enduro 4 Discs, RS psylo SL on 110mm travel Raceface DMR LX XT mix Mavic rims and hope XC hubs.

Submitted by edward wanick a Racer from Virgina,USA

Date Reviewed: July 29, 2001

Strengths:    The frame design seems to work from everything I do. From the marathon race days with the monster climbs and 6-8 hours saddle time to midweek thrashes and plain training it just does the job.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet. ( Despite 2000 metre climbs, downhill courses, stacksgalore ! ).

Bottom Line:
A mate put me onto this thru 2 magazine articals and I got a dealer who'd do me a good price with some other parts thrown in ( I was doing a custom build ). Trek have a good solid reputation on frames anyhow and add to that Klein, Fischer and Bontrager working on this design - I was sold.

No regrets. This frame has taken all sorts ( even a two week trip over the Alps ) and delivered more than I ever expected. My favorite is still to ride over rough singletrails with short sharp nasty climbs and drops - the bike responds so quickly and surely I just point and shoot and hop my way along with a huge grin.

Hardtails have just about been disigned to death and this frame geometry and ultra lightweight 6013 aluminium has to be up there with the best of them.

Can be equaled but not bettered.

Similar Products Used:   Specialised stumpjumper which had nice geometry but was rough for long rides and a bit heavy.
Canondale F2000 which I hated as the headshox broke twice before I put Manitou SX-Tis in. The CODA crank threads stripped when I tried to remove them. I was glad some people think Cdale are good so I could get rid of it easier !!

Bike Setup:   SID 100, Mavic 517s, a rockshox post for the marathons, plain ole V-brakes and pile of other good-value solid lite gear gathered in end of season sales. 10,5kg - yum yum.

Submitted by Chris U. a Cross Country Rider from madison WI, usa

Date Reviewed: June 30, 2000

Strengths:    This frame is very light and very strong

Weaknesses:    I don't think it has any

Bottom Line:
this frame is the bomb the bottom line is that it is very light very stroung and is perfect for the hardcore cross-coutry rider------and also don't buy cannandales my friend SAM broke his frame

Favorite Trail:   blackhawk

Bike Setup:   full XTR, Marzocchi Z-1 X-fly

Submitted by peter a Racer from york,ME USA

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2000

Strengths:    Very Fast!! Great Components, Perfect set up for cross country Racing.

Weaknesses:    Disc Brakes are Heavy!!

Bottom Line:
Sweet Bike!!! You just got to ride one to understand!!

Favorite Trail:   Kilington

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale Cad4

Bike Setup:   OK

Submitted by Kuhl a Racer from Mechanicsburg, PA

Date Reviewed: March 19, 2000

Strengths:    super stiff, fairly light

Weaknesses:    After two great years of use it snapped right at the chainstay. I only weigh 146 to and i didnt go off a drop or anything.

Bottom Line:
this wasnt isnt my race ride its just a weekend bike for fun but it gave out on my while riding so im no to happy with it.

Favorite Trail:   lambsgap

Similar Products Used:   trek 9.9

Bike Setup:   this frame hayes disks, sid, full xtr

Submitted by Çaðrý Eröge a Cross Country Rider from Istanbul/Suadiye/Turkey

Date Reviewed: February 6, 2000

Strengths:    Light,looks great,Awesome!!!!!!!!

Bottom Line:
Well this is one of the best cross-country frame for HARDCORE CROSS-COUNTRY RACERS!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Giant AXT 875,TREK 8000;Scott Team Racing'00,Cannondale Killer V800'98

Bike Setup:   Trek 8900 SL Frame with XT Components,RS SÝD SL'99...

Submitted by Brian Buell a cross-country rider from N.R.H, Tx

Date Reviewed: October 5, 1998

Bottom Line:

Oh man!!!! this is a beauty! I ahd a '96 Trek 850 frame for about over a year, put almost 3000 miles on it until *CRACK*!!! it broke on me!, then I got this one for about 50 bucks off the 400 dollar pricetag (WORTH THE PRICE!!) and when i first got all my stuff on it, Oh baby, I'm only 16 and I still love to ride I'm startin' to race soon, and this is the bike to do it on the colors I got on it match perfectly, got a '97 manitou SXTi fork, Shimano alivio shifters (upgrading) Alivio brakes(upgrading) Continental Traction Pro Dual (the Yellow one's) and I got red grips, blue bar ends, and with the Yellow and blue frame it matches PERFECTLY!!! (if you want to see it go to HTTP://www.angela.net/gizkid if you go too soon it might noe be on just yet) but this bike outcorners, out climbs, DEFINATLY lighter dropped about 2 pounds from my 850 to this one!! and MAN i can jump on this frame now, I suggest this to anyone who wants to have a Top-O-The Line frame. not only does it look good, it's got some good size tubing, very light weight 6013 Alpha Aluminum, and it climbs, corners, accelerates, and has literally almost no flex if ANY at all!!
THEREFORE it diserves 5 flamin' hot chili's

Trek 8900 SL Rear Disc Brake Mount

Does anyone have a fix to adapting a Rear Disc Brake upgrade to the above frame? I just spoke w/ Trek and they have no adapter for that frame. Is there someone that makes this? What are my options?? :eek: ThanksRead More »