Titus Switchblade Frameset

The Titus Switchblade was designed to be nothing less than the ultimate do all, go anywhere trail bike!

We started with our fully active progressive linkage design, shortened the chainstays and adjusted the shock position to make it climb like a goat. Next we designed an all new large diameter double butted tube set with an ultra stiff monocoque seat tower to shave weight. Finally, we added the ability to adjust the rear suspension for 3.75, 4.50 or even 5.70" of earth devouring travel. The end result is a sub 6 pound frame that allows you to do everything from full on cross-country racing to the occasional downhill event. If you are an aggressive rider looking for the ultimate bike with razor sharp handling in a lightweight high performance package, then we have a Switchblade waiting for you!

Submitted by David a Weekend Warrior from Breckenridge, Colorado

Date Reviewed: October 19, 2007

Strengths:    Sublime ride, climbs like a goat, solid as a block of steel

Weaknesses:    Feels a bit top-heavy, like you're riding on top of the tank instead of down in it

Bottom Line:
Believe it when you read this is one of the greatest bikes ever made. When outfitted with decent parts, this bike is very light for a FS, yet is incredibly sturdy and durable. The frame geometry takes some getting used to at first because you feel very "on top" of the bike, but this quickly morphs into a very comfortable feeling of control. I am 5'11, 185 pounds and ride a large set up with a Thomson Elite X4 100mm 10-degree rise and carbon 1" riser bars. I keep the front end (Fox Talas)set at 140 and the rear Talas hiked up to 5.7". WIth this setup, the bike feels way tall, but once you're up there you are the king of the world. The bike will cruise over rocky paths strewn with 2-foot boulders without hardly flinching. Yet it also climbs like a mountain goat, with the FSR rear end locking out beautifully. Sprinting on flats, this bike almost feels like a hardtail, it has such minimal squatting. All in all, a fantastic bike, and now that it is aging, a great value if you can find one that has been pampered. I have 2 of them (titanium and gold), and will never let them go.

Favorite Trail:   Snowflake/4 O'Clock, Breckenridge

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpy FSR

Bike Setup:   Full XTR, Fox Talas front & rear, Mavic 819/CK hubs, Avid BB7 discs

Submitted by Gary Hurlock a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2007

Strengths:    Versatility. Will take anything you throw at it. Light alloy frame. Superb handling . Probably THE GREATEST BIKE EVER BUILT

Weaknesses:    Too expensive for Titus to recreate. So sadly not to be seen again. Impossible to insure.

Bottom Line:
I have been lucky enough to be a close friend of a cycle shop owner. I have over the years riden about 200 great bikes. NOTHING CAME CLOSE TO THE SWITCHBLADE. I feel lucky to be the owner of one. If you have not riden one. Get hold of one before you die. AWSOMELY OUTSTANDING

Favorite Trail:   Thetford Forest

Purchased At:   Internet (Private)

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, Orange , Trek

Bike Setup:   Fox Talus Fork. Fox Float Rear shock, Panaracer Fire XC tyres. Race Face Diabolus.

Submitted by Dave from Vancouver, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 3, 2004

Strengths:    Very well designed and built. Excellent craftsmenship. Anodized aluminum finish is sweet. Titus seems to have excellent customer support.

Weaknesses:    Can't really think of any.

Bottom Line:
Great full suspension frame. I have it set at the 4" travel and my fork is 100mm travel. Handles well on technical singletrack. The Fox Float rear shock lockout and the Marzi MX Pro ETA lockout work great when climbing. I have had great feedback from Titus whenever I have contacted with questions.

Favorite Trail:   Porcipine Rim, Moab, UT

Similar Products Used:   Proflex 955 & Litespeed Obed H/T.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi MX Pro ETA fork, Hope Mini Disc brakes, SRAM 9.0 shifters and rr derail, Shimano LX Fr derail. Mavic 517/Hope wheelset. Homemade tubeless sealant and rimstrips. Chris King HS, Easton Monkylite bar, Easton carbon seatpost, WTB Laser seat.

Submitted by Jay Swavely a Cross Country Rider from Vancouver

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2003

Strengths:    Solid ride
Quality construction
Geometry
Horst link

Weaknesses:    Stickers suck

Bottom Line:
This is a gorgeous bike that rides like a champ! It is beautifully crafted with paint that last, pivots that stay tight, and a stiff rear end. I wish it could accept a coil over as that would be very cool. I believe this bike rides best in 4.5" mode with a 4" fork. I tried a 5" fork in 4.5" mode and found it jacked up the front end too much. Titus gives you a 2 year limited warranty. I am 5'11" tall and I ride a large (23.75" top tube) with a 110mm by 5 rise stem. I thought about a medium with a 23" top tube but thought it would be too small (as my Tracer was with that long a top tube).

Some have asked me how I would compare the Tracer to the Switchblade. The Tracer seems to have sharper angles which make it more racy feeling. I like the Switchblade's slacker angles and longer top tube. Otherwise, quality wise, these bikes are so close they could be brothers. I don't like the Tracer's single bolt through the BB area; however, I never had a problem with my Tracer. Nonetheless, Tracers are very nice. I like the sealed bearing on the Horst Link better then the bushing on the Switchblade.

A great bike! I got mine for $850.00 from Universal Cycles on a closeout brand new (black beauty). This bike just feels solid under you. Put some Hayes on it with a light wheelset and some XT parts and rock and roll. Oh, put either a Fox or Marzocchi coil over on it to.

Favorite Trail:   Ape Canyon

Purchased At:   Universal Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Intense Tracer (owned)
Jamis Dakar
Other 4-bar bikes ridden

Bike Setup:   Hayes
XT
Fox Vanilla
Other light part stuff

Submitted by Gabe a Weekend Warrior from Mesa, Az USA

Date Reviewed: February 5, 2003

Strengths:    This frame is the best trail bike in the world. Nothing can compare. Very stiff and extremely responsive.

Weaknesses:    Absolutely NOTHING

Bottom Line:
I have never seen or ridden a bike that can rival this one. If you have some cash and want a bike that can be ridden hard and put up wet day after day the SWITCHBLADE is for you. Titus took their time and made an incredible frame. I recommend it to anyone!!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Hawes

Purchased At:   Titus factory

Similar Products Used:   KHS FXT comp, GT Idrive 3.0, Etc

Bike Setup:   Psylo race, XT, Easton carbon seat post and bars. Long travel kit (the only way to go). Magura brakes

Submitted by Trick Daddy a Cross Country Rider from Metro Georgia

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2002

Strengths:    moving from hardtail to FS on this frame is effortless; welds and general looks are incredible; feels like the back of my hand; standover is awesome; workmanship is secdond to none; strength of rear is over and above; bad to the bone.

Weaknesses:    12 week wait - like fine wine; water botle screw threads came lose

Bottom Line:
I am a hardtail snbob finally moving to FS - reluctantly but I had to do it. This is the bombest bike ever for a reformed BMX freak / pseudo XC geek like me. Getting older and not caring so much about pulverizing cats, I needed a much cooler rig to see me through my post 30 days. This is it. I can still pound when I want and I can cruise when I want - best of all worlds I'd say. The frame this replcaed is a 1996 Avalanche LE aluminum hardtail - very respectable in its day but not nearly in the same league as the new FS Switchblade. I had a GShok 2.5" suspension seatpost on my GT and it performaed marvelously from day one, but it was nowhere near the performance of the FS Titus. The 4-bar Horst design is the only way to go if you want hartail performance from a medium travel trailbike. This bike is stiff as hell in all the right places.

When I picked it up from the shop, an owner of an Intense Uzzi SLX saw it and said how the rear stays on my Titus are BIGGER than on his SLX. We went out to his truck and confirmed suspicion. Incredible - my trailbike is beefier than his freeride / DH bike in the place that mattters most.

Got a little story for you. Ordered my Titus and got it from Cartecay after 12 weeks. Went to a local trail w/ a buddy for my easy first ride - no big deal. Proceded to complete 3/4 of the first 5-mile loop w/ no problem - loving my new rig more than words can say. Got to the final descent at the end of the looop. Jumped a meduim sized North Shore stunt like I always had, tried to BMX speed jump it going 23 mph like I always had, my new suspension jacked the rear over my front like Ive never known. I landed hard crashing on my head, right side and left side. Walked 3/4 mile out and went straight to the emergency room. I now have a broken 11th rib, a separated RT shoulder, and much roadrash to show for my first Titus ride. I love it!! This is great. Makes me feel youngg again. One of my riding buddies reminded me that my first GT ride ended much the same way over 6 yrs ago so I take this as a positive sign of good things to come. Im psyched as hell about getting back on my Switchblade again in 6 weeks to say the least. Im sure Ill get back just in time to shread it up again. I cant wait.

5 fat chilis for this in all the ways possible. Ive waited for this bike for a long time and Im loving it all the way. If you have the loot, make this deal happen.

Favorite Trail:   Bull Mountain - Dalonegha

Purchased At:   Catrecay River Bike Shop

Similar Products Used:   Truth, Tracer, YBB, FSR, Scalpel, other short / mid travel - nothing come close to the Switchblade

Bike Setup:   2003 Switchblade burnished frameset @ 4.5", Fox Forx RLC 100mm, King headset, EXP / Monkeylite bars, sweet Cane Creek barends, Avid 2.0L brake levers, Avid Mechanical Discs, Thomson stem and seatpost, Race Face Turbine cranks and BB, King ISO disc wheelset, ATAC Titan pedals, Salsa QR sweat clamp - 25.5 lbs

Submitted by Jeff a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: June 20, 2002

Strengths:    Manufacturer's attention to detail-
Build Quality
1) small design tolerances - I took a tour of Titus and saw this first-hand in their tooling fixtures (I notice this stuff because I am an engineer)
2)Exceptional weld quality - stunning welds
3)Very nice annodized finish!
4)Available custom options like second water bottle mount and stiffer rear swingarm geometry for 180+ lb riders

Customer Service
1) Titus was willing to answer all of my questions from start to finish, including about 10 "is it done yet??"'s.
2) Provided me with a demo bike for a couple of days
3) I was given a tour of Titus' facility in Tempe from design to decals. I recommend a tour of Titus for true bike geeks as Chris gets into the small details.

Bike -
1)Fits better than any bike I have owned or ridden. South Mountain Cycles played a big part in this.
2)The bike can be configured for different terrain. Its a true multi-purpose machine.
3)The Switchblade is a good balance of stability and responsiveness at all speeds.
4)The FSR suspension design is very effective in soaking up big and small bumps while keeping the tire planted for maximum traction.

Weaknesses:    1)Frame Lead Time (4 weeks - felt like 40 because I was so anxious to get my very own)

So far I haven't found any weekness with the actual product!

Bottom Line:
I couldn't be happier with this bike. I have a smile on my face every time I finish a ride. This bike not only elevated my capability in more difficult terrain but maintained the speed that I became acustomed to on my hardtail. I have no need for the hardtail now. I am glad that I decided on the Switchblade.

One of the biggest factors in my satisfaction was my experience with South Mountain Cycles. From the beginning of my decision making to the final tweaking, Scott and Bob at SMC have been extremely helpful and knowledgeable about what they are selling. These guys ride what they sell and aren't out to sell you the most expensive product. They are true enthusiasts who know what works best based on their riding experience and the feedback they receive from their customers.
Before I looked at Titus, I was considering an Ellsworth Truth from Airpark Bike, Scottsdale,AZ but decided against it because of the sellers elitist attitude. Just a suggestion - when I am trying to put together MY ultimate bike I could really care less to hear about how good of a rider you think you are. Get over yourself and consider what your customer needs.
I would highly recommend purchasing from South Mountain Cycle if you are considering a Titus Switchblade. They are very well tuned in with Titus and know what component combinations work best with what you are seeking from your ultimate bike. Less the ego.

Purchased At:   South Mountain Cycles

Similar Products Used:   1999 Specialized FSR XC, 2001 Truth (short ride on friend's), Cannondale Jekyl and Scalpel (demo). Trek Fuel (demo)

Bike Setup:   4.5" Travel, Fox Float 100, mostly XT

Submitted by Wayne a Weekend Warrior from El Paso, TX, US

Date Reviewed: December 29, 2001

Strengths:    The frame is SWEET! It climbs well and begs for more speed whenever pointed downhill. The active suspension tracks very well, climbing and decending both. The workmanship on the frame is first rate from the welds to the finish.

Weaknesses:    It wasn't free. I question the durability of the decals..... no big deal, but there HAS to be a downside!

Bottom Line:
I wish I had the riding skills to really stretch the abilities of the frame! I have yet to find an area where the Switchblade doesn't outclass the single high pivot suspension of the Santa Cruz. I really loved my Heckler, BUT the Titus takes it to a new level. I also really like the fact that if I want to spend a weekend on the slopes, I can pick up the long travel kit (shock and link) and crank up the rear end to over 5 inches of travel. Crank up the Psylo to 120mm and it's ready to rock.

Purchased At:   El Paso Bicycle Center

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler

Bike Setup:   4.5 inch rear travel; Psylo Race fork; Turbine LP Crankset; FSA ISIS BB; King headset and hubset; X317s, XT Discs; SRAM Attacks; XTR derailleurs; Flak Jackets; CT2 riser bar and seat post; Serfas Dual Density Pro saddle; IRC Mythos XC rubber.

Submitted by Tom Presswood a Cross Country Rider from Austin,Tx.

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2001

Strengths:    Beautiful construction,Adjustability,Stiff,Plush,Confidence inspiring ride.

Bottom Line:
Bought mine from Charle Coker @ Hammerhead bikes(Great Shop to deal with)& have Been Very pleased.The bike is so Stiff that it tracks blasting through narly rocks like it`s on rails. suspension is Excellent.Beautiful welds & consruction.Can`t go wrong!!!

Favorite Trail:   City Park

Purchased At:   Hammerhead bikes

Similar Products Used:   Proflex 857,855,856 ,857

Bike Setup:   Marzxochi X-Fly 100,XT frnt.der& cranks,XTR rear der.& V-Brakes,King hubs & Valiant rims,Thompson stem& seatpost,Easton carbon flat bar.

Submitted by jason y a Cross Country Rider from Normal,Il,usa

Date Reviewed: November 16, 2001

Strengths:    Adjustability of rear travel with a lockout and the shear amount of rear travel

Weaknesses:    not so much this bike as with this style of bike, the adjustability of the seat tube.

Bottom Line:
With the lockouts it is as stiff as a ridge and it climes better. Plush landings even off of relatively tall objects 3-4 foot compared to a bone jarring 2 foot drop on my hard tail. It seems a bit heavy to me, granted it is only about 26.5lbs (or about 5.5 lbs. heavier than my hardtail) yet it handles well and doesn’t ride sluggishly

Favorite Trail:   porcupine rim