Titus Loco Moto Frameset

4.5/5 (8 Reviews)

Simple, light and effective as both a cross-country racing or all terrain weapon, the Loco-Moto offers a level of versatility and performance unlike anything you have ever owned. Our revolutionary low pivot, fully active inspired design utilizes an ultra-stiff Motocross style swingarm and monster cartridge bearing pivots to ensure your new Loco-Moto is as maintenance free as it is stiff. The Loco-Moto has 4.25-4.75" of adjustable travel and rate as well as the option of using either an air or coil-over shock. Additional features include a universal disc brake mount standard, and a replaceable derailleur hanger.

Submitted by Craig Morris a Cross Country Rider from Cave Creek AZ

Date Reviewed: April 28, 2003

Strengths:    Hand built right here in Tempe AZ (30 minute drive). Rides excellent for a single pivot (on par with many of the multi pivot bikes).

Weaknesses:    Broke in a year!!

Bottom Line:
I had nothing but great things to say about this bike right up until it broke in two spots (down tube and head tube right behind the welds). It handled well in all types of terrain. It did not climb as well as some multi pivot bikes, but I would not and did not expect it to. I thought I had a bike that would last until I wanted to try something new.

I was wrong. 12 months later I find myself walking back to the car with a broken frame. I was glad to hear Titus was going to warranty this frame. However the attitude they took toward this was disappointing. The first thing out of their mouth was accusing me of abusing the bike and free riding it (far from the truth). They were essentially stating "you did not get hurt, therefore what is the big deal". I would expect a little more in the customer service area. I was lucky enough I did not get hurt, but could easily be missing some teeth right now. So for the bike breaking in half and poor concern for their customers, I give only 1 star.

However, there is another side to this. The customer service I received from SMC cycles was excellent as always. Scott went to bat for me here. He was on the phone to Titus less than an hour after the incident and had a new frame for me the next day. In fact he talked Titus letting me upgrade to the Swithblade at a very reasonable price which at first they were unwilling to do at all. I will add this into the equation and bump up the rating.

I am still staying with the Titus brand and giving them another chance with the Switchblade. However I did learn some lessons.

Lesson one: Stay away from the LocoMoto (at least the ones before the 2003 redesign). It was a great bike other than the fact it broke!
Lesson two: Buy from a local dealer like SMC. Good prices and excellent customer service.

Take a look at the broken Titus

Purchased At:   South Mountain Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Specialized FSR, GT LTS, GT I-Drive

Bike Setup:   Fox 100-RLC, Shimano XT/XTR, Chris King wheels and headset, Thompson seatpost and stem, Avid mechanical discs.

Submitted by Dave a Cross Country Rider from Somerville, MA

Date Reviewed: April 7, 2003

Strengths:    Light, Quick, Plush, Price

Weaknesses:    None yet, front derailer not too easy attach to frame.

Bottom Line:
I got a 2002 at a nice price. Just built it and took my first ride yesterday. It rocks. The bike is light, fast, and plush. It climbed like a rock star. For the money you really cant beat the Loco Moto.

Purchased At:   Ace Wheelworks - just frame

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Superlight, Gary Fisher Sugar

Bike Setup:   Race Face Turbine Cranks + Race Face Ti bottom bracket, Marzochi X Fly 80, Chris King Headset, Easton Carbon Seatpost and EA50 Stem, Everything else XT

Submitted by Eryk from So. Weymouth

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2002

Weaknesses:    A little slower on twisty singletrack, accelleration isn't as quick as on a hardtail. The problem with the bolt (I've mentioned that as a weakness previously)securing the rear shock to the frame, has not reoccured.

Bottom Line:
After using the bike for close to a year, I'm perfectly satisfied with my choice. I have experienced some premature chain wear, but I believe the bike is bomb-proof. It rides well everywhere, generous travel is perfect for cross-country riding on rocky terrain - especially North Eastern trails. I purchased this bike as a "winter - or off season" bike, however it was my bike of choice throughout the summer. The bike is well ballanced with a 100 mm travel Manitou X-vert Air, and the Avid Disc brakes are necessary for any wet/muddy riding. Higher BB means that you can go over stuff easier, and yet the bike feels stable at speed. Panaracer PYRO is also an excellent rear tire for this bike - it hooks up in all conditions. Drifting is predictable with the Panaracer Fire up front.
I am definitely glad I got this bike, superior traction makes up for its heavier weight up the hills.

Favorite Trail:   All trails are fun on the weekends...

Purchased At:   Beyond Bikes

Similar Products Used:   None, moved directly from hardtail

Bike Setup:   Manitou X-vert fork, Avid Discs, Truvativ crankset, 9.0 ESP set up, XTR fr Derr., DT/Hayes hubs, SDG saddle, other: onza,bontrager,kore,SUN/Ringle,Ritchie,Chris King,XT,Ride On.

Submitted by Michael King a Racer from Boerne, Tx, US

Date Reviewed: September 21, 2002

Strengths:    very smooth riding, lightest bike i could find with 4.75 inches of travel at 6.0 (measured) lbs. high quality, no shortcuts taken on the frame.climbs are amazing with minimal pogo (i dont even notice)and takes all the hits u can dish out

Weaknesses:    none so far, except i scratched it like an idiot during a ride :(

Bottom Line:
i love this bike so far. i dont know how it will hold up to wear and tear, bc i havent had it long enough. but it climbs great, decends great, and rides great! the '03 design is amazing, i wouldnt have gotten this bike if it was still the old style. the new design is unbelievable stiff torsionally. buy this bike!

Purchased At:   Hammerhead Bycicles

Similar Products Used:   superlight, catamount

Bike Setup:   2003!!! frame (new cross-bar design!!!)XT front drive train, XTR rear, 2003 sid race, thompson seatpost, maxm carbon bar, king headset, avid ti brakes, egg beater pedals, XTR/M517 wheelset. 24.5 lbs!!

Submitted by Allen a Cross Country Rider from Ral., N.C.

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2002

Strengths:    quality, weight and simplicity of design. travel adjustments add great versatility.

Weaknesses:    none to date.

Bottom Line:
coming off the wildhare, i think the L.M. climbs much better. it is very light and still stiff. impressed with the quality of workmanship and the frame fit. will review again after more time in the saddle. for now, i'd recomend it to anyone.

Similar Products Used:   P.W. wildhare, Jamis Dakar, 4-banger and Y-33.

Bike Setup:   full XTR, race face, King, Black super air, dolomite disc and avid mechs.

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from Athens, GA, US of A

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Strengths:    Quality, Simplicity, Durability, Performance, Looks

Weaknesses:    Initially weak top tube gusset (since been fixed)

Bottom Line:
Since I got my bike back from being recalled, I have put about 1000 miles on it. This is one seriously sweet ride! The unique comment that I can make is that the wonderboys may ride Trek, Gary fisher, Specialized, etc. BUT, they are paid to ride them and are more likely than not 1 off customs, NOT the bike you buy at LBS. Bikes like Titus, Santa Cruz, Ellsworth, etc., are a whole new level. They might be "off the shelf" but the quality is custom. Do yourself a favor and get a Titus and enjoy a quality ride that all the others on "McBikes" will never know. No bushings, no links, no cheap OEM knockoff parts or OEM spec frauds (OEM forks!) You call the company and the phone is answered by a person who can answer your question and offer a better alternative.

Purchased At:   At the Hub, Athens, GA.

Similar Products Used:   Santa Cruz Heckler, Superlight.

Bike Setup:   Z1 and Duke race depending on use, XTR, Thompson, King, Float RL, etc...

Submitted by Eryk a Cross Country Rider from Boston

Date Reviewed: February 13, 2002

Strengths:    Relatively light for the price/travel. It handles really well, and my first ride I just couldn't stop smiling. The adjustable travel is great, and does make a difference in ride characteristics. The L/M goes though rock gardens extremely well, and its very stable at higher speeds. It is a great trail bike.

Weaknesses:    I'm not sure this is a product weakness, but riders might want to watch out for it: the bolt fastening the rear shock to the main triangle, may "loose" some of its threads if the nut is not tightened enough, once that happens it will become impossible to tighten the nut any more, and the resulting play may damage the frame. Those who play with their travel set up a lot will have to watch this especially closely.

Bottom Line:
As compared to the Hardtail Loco Moto is heavier and climbs less efficiently (suspension compresses when in seated position), at the same time the rear tire hooks up better on the uphills, its much smoother/quicker down the hill, and is excellent on technical terrain. I was worried about the move from H/T to F/S, but with the proper set up my transition has proves to be smooth. I can now say that I love full suspension.
I think this bike will be a great purchase for someone who wants a "do it all" bike, that good for cross country riding as well as a weekend of trail riding. Its not a D/H bike, or a cross country racer, but it is a lot of fun

Favorite Trail:   All the ones I ride

Purchased At:   BeyondBikes

Similar Products Used:   Moved from a hardtail ('99 Schwinn Homegrown Team Factory), never used any other full suspension bikes

Bike Setup:   Manitou Xvert Air 4 inch travel, Avid Mech Discs, Chris King headset, Truvativ Crank/BB/Chainrings, Sram ESP 9.0 9spd, XTR fr Derrailleur, Ringle Seatpost, Kore stem, Flite saddle, Panaracer tires Fire/Pyro, DT/Hayes hubset.

Submitted by Mat a Cross Country Rider from Portland, OR USA

Date Reviewed: December 27, 2001

Strengths:    low maintenance, low graphics, matte powdercoat, metal where it counts -- very unique and efficient design

Weaknesses:    none yet

Bottom Line:
More is less. If you can create something great with the least amount of overhead, that's art. It rides smooth, firm and quiet - there's none of the slop or "creakiness" I expected coming straight from an AL Fisher. Different shock positions actually make a difference (4in is true XC, 4.75 feels medium huck gushy). You can lean over the front end on slow technical stuff, or lean back and float over the big fast stuff. Uphill switchbacks in the mud are up to your balance, not the bikes shortcomings. Climbs are limited by strength. Descents...put it this way, I'm ordering discs before I fly off the end of the trail. This bike does that groovy "float" thing over obstacles. BUT the key here is ONE HUGE PIVOT, not 8 with bushings and thin rockers and judy butter and headaches. The Loco rides like a 4-bar anyway (really). No chatter, no chain jerk, no stinkbug. Good choice for a rider who wants a competition worthy trailbike. No buyer's remorse here. To be real, the only reservation I can post is, if you huck off 10ft drops (sure you do)then go with a tubby bike. One last thing -- spend the money before you settle on a production bike. (I actually considered a Sugar! Crazy,man.) The Titus is deceptively different.

Favorite Trail:   3 corner rock - National etc in AZ

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   strictly hardtail, but, this purchase was FULLY researched with the highest level of paranoia. I talked with Titus, Ellsworth, Hammerhead, Rage, online reviews, mechanics, OG freeriders, Cops, pets, et al.

Bike Setup:   X fly100, Avids, Thompson, Flattrackers, Raceface ISIS, SRAM 9.0SL HPipes, Conti 2.3's, Machine Tech&Chris King w/Mavics (discs coming)

Titus Loco Moto rear triangle - Ever seen this??

Does anyone have connections or know somebody looking to sell a rear Titus LocoMoto traingle? I have a friend that did this to his frame riding bigger tires with an out of true rear wheel:Read More »

Any Loco Moto's out there

I cracked the frame on my '00 Loco in '05. I was going thru some old documentation and found a set of Loco Moto Decals. Black and White, squarish, probably 02. Titus sent them to me whan I bot some DU bushings or hangers. Free to a good home.Read More »

Loco Moto Seatpost size

Hi all, I think this is my first post on the forums, so first of all hi I'm Mark from Sydney, Australia :) I have a quick question I'm hoping someone can answer. What size seatpost does the old Loco Moto take ? I'm looking at upgrading mine, but can't accurately measure it without the proper t ... Read More »

Need help finding Loco Moto der hanger

I need help finding a der hanger for my wife's loco moto. I tried a few LBS's to no avail. They said Titus can't get them anymore. Come on, I'm sure they got a used one in on a frame trade in they can sell me. If anyone else has a source, I'd love to know. She still loves the frame, and it would be ... Read More »

Loco Moto Hangers

Does anyone know of a good source for Loco Moto hangers? Apparently Titus is scaling back production and the steel ones are not even made anymore, if the same happens with alu - it's not going to be good - I'm going through these fast. I know speedgoat used to have them - but they have them on bac ... Read More »