Titus HCR Frame Frameset

4.71/5 (14 Reviews)

The TITUS TITANIUM HARD CORE RACER (HCR) is a hardtail like no other! No other bike offers more bang for your buck. Take a good hard look at the Breezer-style dropouts, oversized tubing, asymmetrical chainstays, and an oversized wishbone. All are manufactured with American made 3/2.5 and 6/4 titanium.

Submitted by Jonathan Grayson a Weekend Warrior from Apache Junction

Date Reviewed: December 2, 2003

Strengths:    Super light weight,Ti frame

Weaknesses:    Decal

Bottom Line:
I,ve owned a Racer-X for a year and a half and loved it so but I was looking to go lighter.I live 25 miles from the factory and like the idea of owning a bike built in town.The people at Titus are great.Any problem and Alan the owner will take great care fo you.I first put a rigid fork on and was having problems with the fit.Alan spent lots of time with me explaining that the rigid fork messed up the geo. of the bike thus causing the problem. Ti is super smooth and the bike fast.If I had to choose I'd stay with the Racer-X but sometimes you just want flat out speed and this bike is true.

Purchased At:   Speedgoat.com

Similar Products Used:   Titus Racer-X

Bike Setup:   Sram X.O,Scrabe Super,Speedream wheelset,Dura Ace Cass.,Avid Mag brakes and levers,Carbonlite seatpost,Terry saddle.

Submitted by Matt Donnelly a Cross Country Rider from Aspen, CO

Date Reviewed: September 3, 2002

Strengths:    Plush for a HT

Weaknesses:    Huh?

Bottom Line:
Amazing HT. Was on FS, now I'm back to an HT. Great climbing, great DH. Don't get jilted like on Aluminum, but no bob going up hills like on FS. Only issue with the setup is my WTB seat creaks.

Favorite Trail:   Some trail in CB near Taylor Resevoir, can't remember the name

Purchased At:   Wrench Science

Similar Products Used:   Catamount, DBR Alu

Bike Setup:   HCR, SID, Sram XO, Eggbeaters, Raceface Crankset, Paul brake system

Submitted by coonass a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX

Date Reviewed: August 15, 2002

Strengths:    Stunning welds, sharp geometry, sturdy and no slop build with buttery compliance of Ti!

Weaknesses:    I only have one Titus right now.

Bottom Line:
Wow,Ti is an all together different material! I have been in love with Kona steel bikes for ten years, and wore out my beloved 853 Hot. The Kula was quite a change. Aluminum is electric pulse fast, but I could only appreciate the ridgidity on the climbs, oh what a climber. The HCR is a beauty, great craftsmanship, great material and great geometry make it a lightening ride. It tracks through rough and perilous lines effortlessly because of the ridgid chassis, but almost feels like slow motion because the Ti soaks up the bumps and you become so confident and relaxed taking those types of lines. All the time you are going twice as fast! I am a true convert of Ti! The only lingering question is " What if you had gotten a Kona Hei Hei or King Kahuna when they were available?" Fantastic work Titus!

Favorite Trail:   Hermosa Creek, CO or Flat Creek, TX

Similar Products Used:   None similar because Ti is so different.'90 Kona Explosif, '96 Kona Explosif, '98 Kona Hot,'00 Kona Kula

Bike Setup:   Duke Race, King/517, Race Face LP, Avid SD7, Titec

Submitted by WhiteRabbit a Cross Country Rider from South Jordan, UT

Date Reviewed: June 27, 2002

Strengths:    Light, superbly crafted and outstanding finish work, doesn't have the grating rattle of aluminum

Weaknesses:    uhm, if i have to say, I guess the decals/stickers aren't going to be around near as long as the frame

Bottom Line:
Still having friends try to talk me into a fully, but not being a master at the bombing downhills, this bike more than makes up on the climbs. Technical climbing is my strength and this bike has amplified my abilities, hard to imagine a better climbing bike for the gamut of climbs offered in Utah. My setup has gotten the weight down to where on extremely rocky descents the ride can be a little fishy but nothing that cannot be handled. Obviously not a frame for a beginning rider, but if you are not sold on the ever changing engineering of full suspension bikes this frame is a must when it comes time to upgrade.

Beautiful bike and the hand finish is awesome. I had cracked my old Trek frame 3 days before a Moab excursion and Titus was able to weld, handfinish and fedex the bike to me in time for my trip.

Although I still may switch to a Titus fully some day, I will never get rid of this awesome ride!!!

Favorite Trail:   Gold Bar Rim

Purchased At:   Golsan Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Trek hardtails

Bike Setup:   XTR components, Marzocchi Atom Race Fork, Thudbuster, Monkey Lite Bar

Submitted by Brooks a Cross Country Rider from San Luis Obispo

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    Great Welds... that's about it.

Weaknesses:    Decals, Frame Alignment, Square Bottom Bracket Shell, Customer Service.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this:
Titus claims to produce high-end Ti frames comparable to other well-known companies, but for a fraction of the cost. This frame retails for $1,250.00. My frame has a flat spot in the bottom bracket shell where the chainstay pulled the Ti during the welding process. Only 75% of the bottom bracket threads would come into contact during installation. The guys at the Titus customer service department told me that this occurs naturally and it's not a problem (to use the frame anyway... they couldn't do anything about it). Really, that's weird because the drive-side on the shell welded fine, and is perfectly round... if it's so natural then why don't both sides have flat spots? Merlin, Dean, Moots... they all have round bottom bracket shells. My $300.00 KHS frame has a round bottom bracket shell. Bottom brackets are round, the shell should be also (especially on frames costing this much). I sent this frame back to the person I bought it from (it had been used for only a month... now I know why). Titus wouldn't deal w/ it.
Want the bottom line? Don't waste your money on a Titus. Buy a Dean Colonel (not only better craftsmanship but they even cost less).

Favorite Trail:   Madonna, Morning Glory, MDO

Purchased At:   MTBR.com

Similar Products Used:   KHS hardtail, Balance steel.

Bike Setup:   XTR, Raceface, WTB

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from West Bloomfield, MI, USA

Date Reviewed: December 12, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent craftmanship, stunning welds, correct frame alignments, overall frame geometry (read "hanlding is to the quicker side of life ..."), absence of weight, Ti finnish

Weaknesses:    None, OK if I really want to be picky - the frame stickers look a little cheap (e.g. may come with a metal head badge ... but so do the ones on my Ellsworth Truth.

Bottom Line:
The HCR is a very nice handling bike and a good complement to the Ellsworth Truth. The HCR is a quick handling bike but still stable enough to inspire confidence when the going gets tough ... downhill. The Z2XFly (MY 2000), although a little short on travel, is a good match for the HCR. The frame build quality is with no flaw and the welds are eye candy. The HCR reminds me a little bit about the "good old days" with my Kleins "Pinnacle" and "Attitude" (both with rigid Klein Forks), i.e., very quick handling but flowing precisely through the single tracks like a surgeon's knife on duty.

Salute Titus and keep up the good work and thanks a lot for this superb experience. The HCR is definitely a "keeper".

Favorite Trail:   Highland, Potawatomi, Gruber's Grinder, Pontiac, Novi Tree Farm

Purchased At:   www.hammerheadbikes.com

Similar Products Used:   Many HT since 1985, Pinarello, Specialized, Klein, Marin, FS tried Trek Y-SL bike, Specialized FSR, owned Mantra Race (carbon boom), own currently an Ellsworth Truth

Bike Setup:   Z2XFly, RF crankset, Action Tec ti bb, XTR shifting, Avid Mags / Ultimate levers, wheels are XTR/Valiant/db spokes, Monkey Lite low riser, Thomson post/stem, Giro fizi:k saddle, Serfas grips, Lunar light tubes, Ritchey Z-Max 2.1 kevlar, XTR fr/rr derailleur, Time ATAC pedals, total bike weight around 22.5 lb. (10.2 kg)

Submitted by Pete G. a Cross Country Rider from Muddy Maryland

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2000

Strengths:    Excellent geometry with a superbly balanced ride. Lots of sizes insures good fit. Great welds and craftmanship. Breezer dropouts and seamless 3/2.5 and 6/4A Ti. Frame arrived with perfect alignment and the headtube and bottom bracket tube were nicely preped. A "lifetime" frame. Good customer service, they will talk with you and answer any questions and they shipped exactly what I ordered on time. Made in the USA.

Weaknesses:    The seattube had metal shaving left from the reaming. It took me 5 minutes to remove with a rag.

Bottom Line:
This bike rides better than any other hardtail I have ridden. It is ultalight but handles night rides through rock gardens without complaint. It is very reasonably priced considering the quality materials and craftmanship involved. No regrets, none!

Favorite Trail:   Depends on my mood and the weather.

Purchased At:   Direct from Titus

Similar Products Used:   Hardtails from Cannodale and Fisher

Bike Setup:   XTR/XT/Avid Mag, Hugi/Mavic/Continental, USE/Flight, Rockshox XC/Titec/King

Submitted by FredK from Massachusetts

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight
Clean welds
Prepped well; threads chased and clean (i.e. no metal shavings)
Aggressive geometry, long top tube

Bottom Line:
The attention to detail of the Titus HCR is very high. I built the bike up from the frame, and I commend Titus for doing the legwork into tapping BB threads and chasing them properly, and facing the headtube well. These are important details, as Ti dulls cutting tools really quickly.

The ride is really smooth and compliant. This is no doubt aided by its svelte 3.25lb weight for a 17" frame, using straight gauge tubing. I ride in very rocky terrain, and the rear end does mute it quite a bit, so I find myself getting less fatigued. There is enough brake feel from the rear using both Avids and XT V-s. The monostay rear end may contribute to this, but I have not made any quantitative observations on rear flex.

I took parts from my previous bikes (XT) until I had enough money to upgrade the parts. The XTR wheelset was a great addition to the bike, as I lost a lot of rotating weight. The bike flies through technical sections, and the steering is pretty responsive. I have become a confident descender with the Atom 80 and the bike's great handling.

Overall, the bike is a lot more plush than my other rides. Was it worth the price? Definitely; as I will be keeping it for a long time to come.

Similar Products Used:   First ti bike. Have owned Ionic Steelhead (853), and Ibis Alibi (Al).

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain, XTR on Valiant wheels, Avid brakes, Marzocchi Atom 80

Submitted by Jon a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2000

Strengths:    Light, laterally stiff, quality welds, looks, and good price.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I researched all the Ti frame company websites, read the reviews, and compared prices. Let me save you some time-this is the best quality frame at any price. Titus only uses certified grade, oversized tubes w/ monostay rear, breezer dropouts, and an aggressive geometry. This bike is light and scary fast-it makes jumping roots and logs easy!

Favorite Trail:   Potawatomi

Similar Products Used:   Moots Rigor Mootis.

Bike Setup:   Superfly, Race Lite wheels, SRAM 9.0sl and XTR drivetrain, Avid brakes/levers, Easton CT2 bar/post, & Flite saddle.

Submitted by Antony Bahr a Racer from Lakewood, CO

Date Reviewed: May 21, 1999

Strengths:
Extremely light, very strong, great geometry,
excellent craftsmanship

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
I've been racing this bike for 2 years and it's truly fantastic! The bike has great geometry for NORBA racing and tracks very precisely through the technical. This frame is anywhere from 1/4 to 1/3 lbs lighter than competitively priced titanium offerings. However, I haven't noticed any significant flex even when sprinting. The HCR offers a very comfortable All day type ride. I highly recommend this frame for any racer or recreational rider. Spend a few extra dollars for titanium--it's worth it in the long run and your back will thank you in the interim.

Colorado Trail

2 Years

Litespeed Obed, Occoee, Merlin

Manitou SX with speed springs, RaceFace cranks, XT group

Submitted by David a cross-country rider from Boulder County, CO

Date Reviewed: February 25, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've had my HCR for 4 years, now. I've taken it all over the country. Do I love it? Do I love my legs, my arms? The bike is a part of me. It's light strong, and good looking. Just like me. At the age of 44 I've ridden lots of bikes. This is the sweetest.

Submitted by Jeff a cross-country rider from Anchorage AK

Date Reviewed: March 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

WOW!!!
Got a titus HCR about a month ago and I love it!! Coming from a Klein Rascal(full XT) to this bike has been like a dream come true. All the negatives about the Klein are dealt with wonderfully in the Titus. Awsomely light, stiff when you sprint, forgiving on the rough stuff, excellent welds and yes craftsmanship not just construction, and a great looking bike to boot. The value for me was unbelieveable. Got a whole bike for just over $1100 from JT on MTBR marketplace. I just can not say enough positive about this frame/bike so just write me and ask specifics and I will answer the best I can but I can say this is one excellent ride!! :-))))) mega smile!!Jeff

Submitted by Steve Barber a cross-country rider from California

Date Reviewed: January 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

I love this frame! It's light, responsive, nimble on singletrack, surprizingly stable on fast fireroad, easy on the butt, a sweet climber, and reasonably priced. The bike seems to nearly bunnyhop by itself! With XT and a Manitou 5 SX, it weighs 22.9 lbs (La Mirada Bike Shop scales). Before this bike, I was riding a fat-tubed aluminum bike which beat the heck out of my butt. After a day of trail riding on the Titus, I fell great! I can't discern any loss of climbing power, and the descending/general ride is much sweeter.A minor glitch: The rear brake studs are a funky design. They work okay, but could be better. I can second Jason's experience with the Titus staff. Good bunch of people, very helpful.

Submitted by Jason Babcock a Norba racer from State College, PA

Date Reviewed: April 9, 1996

Bottom Line:

I know what your thinking, Who needs, wants, can afford, likes the look of, can stand people who own, Titanium. I thought the sme thing a few months back when I was shopping for a new frameset. I looked at Dean and Litespeed, and all the others and I wasn't impressed by what they had to offer. It was then that a friend introduced me to Titus and their products. I got a catalog from the company and the features looked unreal for the price range. Breeze in drop-outs, monostay, 3/2.5 certified tubing, good racing geometry, oversized tubing, sloping top tube, the works. This was on a bike that cost arround $1100, not $1500 or $1800. It was a sweet deal, priced in the neighborhood of high end steel. Since getting the frame I have nothing but good things to say about it. No problems with flex (I'm 180 lbs) and a beautiful ride. The $1800 FCR fully custom looked to be a deal also. I'd like to add that I'm writing this review not because of the great ride, but for the outstanding coustomer service I recieved.

Chris and friends helped me out big time and I'm sure they'll do the same for you! Just give them a call and ask a few questions and get a catalog mailed out. The call's free so you might as well! Call 1-800-85-TITUS. If they ask how you found out about the company, tell them a satisfied coustomer named Jason Babcock is trying to pay back the favors.

HCR frame speci's ??

hey, just bought a HCR 2006 frame with Seat tube 17'' & Top Tube 22", but can't find any more info ... my questions are : * Year ( photo's or archive to check the exact year and model ) ? * What type headset ( 1" - 1.1/4 1.1/8 , ahead , ... ) ? * Size Bottom braquet ( BSA 68 - 73 ) ? ... Read More »