Titus FCR Mountain Frame Frameset

The TITUS FULL CUSTOM RACER (FCR) is the top on the line in hardtail technology. We start with your body dimensions, weight, and riding preferences to design a frame which fits your needs perfectly. The Titus Full Custom Racer features oversize and ovalized asymetrical chainstays for superior bottom bracket stifness and maximum tire clearance, Large diameter thin wall tubing for a light weight, resilient chassis, and Precision machined parts from only the highest grade American made 6/4 titanium solid stock to deliver unparalleled strength and the highest quality. The perfect material, custom tubing sizes, and custom geometry provide a ride that cannot be matched by any stock hardtail or semi-custom solution.

Submitted by Agam Sharda a Cross Country Rider from Phoeniz, AZ, USA

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2002

Strengths:    Custom geometry, oversized wishbone seat stay, good finish, lead time (less than 2 weeks)

Weaknesses:    The braze on for derailleur cables (I asked for down tube routing) hits the fork when turned 90 degrees. The positioning is not correct - needs to be higher on the tube. The water bottle braze-on on the Seat tube looks like it isn't done well. Is not completely flush with the tube.

Bottom Line:
Very nice. But I specified the frame angles and TT length myself - I should be happy. Good tracking; no noticeable lateral rear flex (wishbone stay); very, very nice to look at. Even a grandma said so - and I am assuming she doesn't ride. Need to buy a fat-ass lock now.

Favorite Trail:   Ridge Line, South Mountain

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   First Ti bike; Spot steel hard tails, C'dale Al h'tail and Jamis Dakar Pro FS bike

Bike Setup:   Set up as a Single Speed right now with a Paul Melvin.

Submitted by will a Racer from wolfeboro, NH

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2001

Strengths:    Very stiff ride quality to this frame. Last ti frame I had (kona hei hei) was as limp as bob dole's you know what. Also, the bike has near perfect welds. Hopefully it is a bike I can ride forever (or at least until I can afford a seven sola). Custom option enables one to get a frame designed to work around whatever fork they want.

Weaknesses:    My frame was built for no flex, so it weighs more than a merlin xlm, litespeed tanasi, or seven sola.

Bottom Line:
Bottom line is this frame brought back the awesome ride qualities of my old bianchi (prestige steel) without the unwanted frame flex or the meager 1" head tube. This is a great frame, titus's custom program is as good as any builders out there. In addition the ride and weld quality of the frame puts it in a class with only the best hardtail frames ever produced, up there with the seven sola, fat city titanium, the original anotech db tubed Ibis ti, spectrum cycles ti, moots rigormootis (which is a bit below the others in terms of tubing technology), and the merlin xlm (although xlm quality has suffered in recent years). It can easily be the last frame you will ever buy, and maybe more importantly the last frame you will ever want or need to buy. However in the $2k+ bracket, I believe the seven sola is worth the extra $700 or so, because there is no doubt in my mind that the seven is the best bike made, period.

Favorite Trail:   owls cliff trail or mt. doublehead loop

Similar Products Used:   Frames owned in past seven years: kona hei hei (sandvik ti), mountain cycle moho (monocoque al), bianchi super grizzly (tange prestige steel)
Frames ridden: just about everything (I worked in a high end shop for about six years)

Bike Setup:   Easton ct2 post, king hs, full xtr 8sp, amp fork, speedplays, crossmax non-ust wheels, avocet 02 saddle

Submitted by michael a Cross Country Rider from baltimore

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2000

Strengths:    light, fast, does not bounce, ti feel and comfort, tracks excellent!!

Weaknesses:    cost

Bottom Line:
This is a Fishlips bike, but it is made by Titus. One great ride that begs for a more experienced rider. This bike will improve my riding skills as time goes on; the ti. will give me the time to to so. Aces if you can get this frame used. I got mine for $700.

Similar Products Used:   ibis alibi

Bike Setup:   marzocchi y2k x-fly, magura hs-22, bontrager race, xtr rear-xt front der.

Submitted by Jesse a Racer from Flagstaff, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 17, 1999

Strengths:
One great handling, excellent performing, light and immaculate race machine. I've had mine for several months now and love it. Going with the Titus FCR allowed me to have a frame which works perfectly for me. Not only is it the perfect size, but I was also able to tell Chris at Titus the handling traits I wanted and he built up a bike which met those demands exactly. My FCR climbs like a mountain goat, is a MUCH smoother ride going downhill(as opposed to M2), has a lower standover height, yet has the long top tube that I need as a racer. Bigger diameter tubbing in certain places gives me the ultimate in acceleration and power transfer while the ride remains one which is still quite forgiving. I really don't think that I will need another hardtail frame until I shrink from old age or something, especially considering that this one comes with a lifetime warranty.

Weaknesses:
None at all. This frame really leaves you with nothing to worry about... Beautiful welds, excellent cable routing, the longetivity of titanium, hard to dent, you can't beat it.

Bottom Line:
If you want the ultimate performing hardtail to race or ride, look no furthur. Since having it I've raced it over a half dozen times, including the Cactus Cup, Sea Otter Classic, and Snow Summit National. No complaints here, just watch me ride it right into my Arizona sunset...

All of the above.