Home | Reviews | Frameset | Ted

4.86/5 (14 Reviews)

Ted Wojick Soft-trac DS Frame

Submitted by Ryan Parlin a Cross Country Rider from Pasco, WA

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2001

Strengths:    Good quality suspension
Awesome welds - how does he do that!?
Has great traction when climbing

Weaknesses:    My Risse Genesis didn't work when I got the bike, can't really complain, though, as it was used, although it does raise some questions about durability.
Handles a bit sluggish with a four-inch fork up front.
A bit overweight, but not bad for a fs bike.

Bottom Line:
This is a great bike! I may go back to hardtails because I'm thinking of getting into racing a bit more... Not sure, though, as this one has been great. It is a bit heavy compared to a Turner Stinger or a fs race bike like a sugar, but hey, that's not what this was designed for.

As for the craftsmanship, I couldn't ask for anything more. The welds are the best I've seen anywhere! As far as steel bikes go, there's just no comparison. Durability seems good, mine's a 97 and it's still going strong (though I'm not the first owner).

One more good reason you should get this bike if you have a chance: Ted Wojcik is ALWAYS willing to answer your questions. I've sent a few emails and he always gets back to you overnight. That's not something that can be said of everyone!

If you're a racer, you may want to look elsewhere, but if you are just looking for a great all-around bike that won't sap you on the climbs, this is it.

Favorite Trail:   South fork of the Walla Walla

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   The only other bikes I've owned are hardtails.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Z1 Alloy
Magura JT front brake
Avid rear
Chris King hubs/headset
RaceFace everything else
XTR rear der.
SRAM shifters, front der.

Submitted by T.K. Malone a Cross-Country Rider from Camarillo, CA

Date Reviewed: April 1, 1999

Strengths:
Otherworldly welding work. Person whose name is on it actually built it. Ted is always willing to listen to your input. Proven longevity. Beautiful paint.

Weaknesses:
The virtues of craftmanship, personality and steel frames are severely undervalued. Not enough people know about Ted, much less own one of his bikes.

Bottom Line:
You know the cliche - if you can only own one bike, make it a Ted Wojcik. If you can own more than one of these gems, you are lucky, indeed. My unconditional and highest recommendation.

more than 3 years

Owned and sold over ten other bikes since 1992. Guess which one is still in the garage?

You name it. I even used it as a single speed for a year!

Submitted by Vlad a weekend warrior from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: March 8, 1999

Bottom Line:

I had DS frame for a couple of years now and every year the bike seems better and better. Workmanship is superb. The bike is a pleasure to ride. I am at a loss to explain Cliff's experience (or the lack of there of :-) If you can afford the Ted, go get it!

Submitted by Hunter a weekend warrior from Pullman, WA

Date Reviewed: June 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

WOW, this bike got some good reviews. I am looking forward to getting mine tomorrow, shipped to my home. I traded my Litespeed Ocoee for a DS with Risse Terminator air/oil shock. Hope it's worth it. Ok, i'll be back when I get the frame and build it up. Five stars for the excitement.

Submitted by Victor Wieburg a weekend warrior from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have never seen a more perfectly constructed frame. The Tig welding is perfect, the paint is perfect. My frame with a Risse rear shock weights about 5.3 lbs. The rear suspension has remained tight and slop free for the last two years that I have owned this bike. I would highly reccomend this frame.

Submitted by Eric Adams a cross-country rider from Concord NH

Date Reviewed: May 6, 1998

Bottom Line:

Craftsmanship is outstanding on this work of art. If you have never seen a TED
you would be amazed by the fact that you would not see a weld. The painting
process he uses is also amazing. You can have any color you want. As far as the
performance of the frame you would be hard pressed to find a better cross-country frame. This a cross-country frame and people need to keep this in
mind. My TED is XT equiped and weighs in at 25lbs. Not bad for a full suspension work of art. Do yourself a favor and buy a TED. Highest possible
rating. Love it!!!!

Submitted by Doug Taylor a cross-country rider from Syracuse, NY

Date Reviewed: April 29, 1998

Bottom Line:

That's Wojcik, and the URL is http://www.nemba.org/ted.html. I recently bought the hard tail frame, officially called the Soft Trac-Front Suspension Mountain Frame, which I decked out with primo componants, required for a frame of this quality. First, it is a work of art: the welds are not perceptible, the craftmanship is perfect, the paint job is lush and clean. Second, the performance is breathtaking. The bike is designed for rooty, tight, twisty eastern single track, and it just plain rocks. It also climbs like a dream. As the web page says: This lightweight frame will disappear beneath the rider. Yup. My personal riding performance has improved immensely with this bike.

Submitted by Eric a cross-country rider from NH

Date Reviewed: November 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

I have owned my Ted Dual for a full year now and can say that it is a quick handling XC dual.
Worksmanship is top notch and weld quality is the best I've seen. The rear end is amp style but far stiffer laterally.
The bike is probably best suited for someone looking for a dual that is XC racing capable but does not want to
suffer with weight or bobbing. The current models use a Risse racing rear shock mounted to a square tubed aluminum
rear triangle and a Reynolds 853 main triangle. Another plus is the choice of any color paint.

Submitted by Murph a cross-country rider from Mass

Date Reviewed: July 8, 1997

Bottom Line:

Swwweeeeetttt Rig!! Replaced a C-dale F700 with a hardtail Ted. This bike is configence inspiring on any downhill or flat, winding single-track. Very nice when teamed with Bomber Z-2. I don't like it climbing quite as well as my C-dale, but the overall gain in performance far outweighs this minor fault. The quality of contruction is unmatched (welds, what welds?). And, Ted has two different colored eyes...how can you argue with that?

Submitted by cliff a racer from NJ

Date Reviewed: June 10, 1997

Bottom Line:

I bought mine a couple of years ago with an AMP rear triangle and Mag 21 forks, 14.5 frame. I'm 130 lbs and pretty aggressive. The rear end flexes a little too much for my taste when I'm bombing downhill, but feels pretty good for XC riding with its geometry and steel frame. The frame quality is top notch. Although, it's not the bike I would buy now if I were shopping around for a new ride, but I needed a custom size a couple of years ago.

Submitted by Philip Keyes, Dirt Rag a cross-country rider from MA

Date Reviewed: January 29, 1997

Bottom Line:

This is a high performance cross-country bike suitable to both racing and backwoods exploring. It is not the plushest of the dualies out there, but it is stiff and responsive, like a good mountain bike should be.
The Fox Alps 4 shock is the only weak link in an otherwise perfect bike, and I gather this is going to change for '97.

Submitted by Steve a cross-country rider from Cape Elizabeth, ME

Date Reviewed: January 13, 1997

Bottom Line:

The Best! I’ve been riding the trails of New England since the middle 1980’s on several different frames. The Wojick is the best I have ridden.
The geometry, high bottom bracket and quick handling, is just what our root and rock infested trails need. My bike built up at 24 pounds, with no exotic parts, just good old XT and Manitou forks. The welds, paint and finish are perfect - bike art!
After riding generic frames made to handle all things acceptably and nothing outstandingly, riding the Wojick on the singletrack of New England is finding the right tool for the job.
If your riding is like what we have here you cannot do better. There really is a difference.

Submitted by tom murray a racer from Gloucester,ma

Date Reviewed: November 21, 1996

Bottom Line:

The quality craftsmanship is the first thing you will notice as soon as you see it. This frame is perfect for the new england area where various terrains are common. There is not many better frames out there(cromoly speaking)

Submitted by Nick Thomas a racer from Stratham, New Hampshire

Date Reviewed: August 27, 1996

Bottom Line:

Ted's frame shows flawless tig welding using reynolds 853 tubing. This tubing set becomes
harder when it is heated. He does not dress the welds, he does every bike himself
and the work is darned near perfect. The bike has very quick handling, you must
keep the upper body relaxed when riding. The conditions around my home involve
dodging a lot of rocks and nasty roots. This frameset is made for technical riding. The Reynolds
steel tubing is very thin and light. My 18 frame speced with XT components weighs
a tad over 23 pounds. I could shave another pound with some titanium this or that.
I recommend this frameset to anyone who wants a quick handling, supple steel bike.
I do not recomend this bike for down hill racing.