Sycip Production Hardtail Frameset

Production Hardtail

Submitted by Frank

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2012

Strengths:    Reviewed 11 years ago. Still going strong!

Weaknesses:    Only steel will do it for you after you've experienced it. Carbon what?

Bottom Line:
This has been my only mtn bike for the last decade and it has held up to everything I throw myself into. Granted I don't huck or anything like that but between the parts I chose then (XT/XTR, Race Face. Thomson, Manitou, Time) and Jay and Jeremy's work, the longevity and value for the money is clearly there. The parts may be obsolete or discontinued and steel may have fallen out of fashion in favor of these newfangled 3X10 and composite rides but I see no reason to "upgrade" when my Sycip still gives me the performance and reliability I need.

Submitted by MikeO a Racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: July 13, 2003

Strengths:    Perfect handling, great climber, professional craftmanship.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This review is for the Custom-Steel frame Sycip. The first time I pedaled this bike it felt like I had been riding it for years. It handles better than any other bike I have ridden. It's super comfortable and has a very balanced ride. The steel frame feels "lively" on the trail, it's responsive and stiff enough to hammer yet doesn't chatter your teeth on the rough stuff. If you are thinking of getting a custom steel frame don't hesitate, you will swear by it like I do now. It's the ultimate fantasy - how many bottle-mounts do you want? What color? The Sycip's even made a custom-bend on their "Sycip seat-stay"....plus you get a real head-badge with all of their bikes. A very spicy ride indeed.

Purchased At:   From the Sycip's

Similar Products Used:   GT Zazkar LE alum

Bike Setup:   Race Face cranks and stem, Chris King hubs and headset, XTR.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Loma Mar

Date Reviewed: June 21, 2003

Strengths:    Fast, responsive, beautiful craftmanship, climbs great, carves up downhils, confortable, light.

Weaknesses:    Zip

Bottom Line:
Got this thing off the craigslist for dirt cheap and it's the best bike I've ever ridden I'll never suffer with an al frame again.

Favorite Trail:   Butano Fire rd

Purchased At:   craigslist

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Mt Tam, old Fisher CR-7, Rochhopper

Bike Setup:   Raceface cranks, Xt everything else, worthless judy tt shock (soon to be replaced)

Submitted by Frankienator a Weekend Warrior from San Diego CA

Date Reviewed: September 20, 2002

Strengths:    Exclusive. I have yet to meet a fellow Spicy rider.

Weaknesses:    Expensive and yet does not perform oral sex.

Bottom Line:
Image: http://southbaybikes.com/meslickrock.JPG

This is a follow up review for my baby. It's been over a year since I got Charlotte (the Harlot). We have ridden in Brunei, Bali Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore, Thailand, Hongkong and Hawaii! She has proven to be a very comfortable but efficient trailbike for me. She was trouble free throughout our Asian jaunt. All she asked for was a new chain.

Her relatively slack geometry makes her a tad lazy on the climbs but are we really here to enjoy the uphills? When things point down her steel frame, hydro discs and 4" fork keep it all nice and cushy.

Bottom line: This frame (at least mine ) is very good.

4 Chilis for value E-X-P-E-N-S-I-V-E!!!
5 Overall

Purchased At:   South Bay Bikes

Similar Products Used:   Canndale F2000SX , Stumper

Bike Setup:   XVert Super, RF Next, Shimano XT discs, 959 wheelset, Selle, Thomson, Time, etc. etc.

Submitted by Louie a Racer from Ann Arbor, Mi

Date Reviewed: August 26, 2002

Strengths:    Custom design that fits ME and the way I ride
Unique frame design
Wonderful paint job

Weaknesses:    Nada as in none

Bottom Line:
Brothers Sycip know what the hell they are doin! They were totally reponsive to my needs. I was after a Single Speed with an EBB that was disc brake compatable. I had looked at others but these Dudes are totally custom...they will build what you want, and provide guidance if you dont know exactly what you want.
The end result is a work art! And it performs like no other bike I have ever owned. I just raced it recently on a very demanding 15 mile, twisty, hilly, rocky , rooty and streamy single trak. It handled it all with aplomb.It is paticularly adept at climbing and ripping up berm-like single trak.
The parts package I chose for the Sycip was perfect and it weighed less than I thought it would...an honest 23lbs. Parts that standout are the Hope Minis and the 80mm Manitou Black fork.
Soooo if your considering a custom frame give Jay and Jeremy Sycip a call. They also make production frames but for a few bucks more you can have it your way! Its worth every penny...

Favorite Trail:   Schuuuus

Similar Products Used:   Yo Eddy, Rocky Mountain, ritchey

Bike Setup:   One Speed Rules Them All! Mani. black, Hope minis, Mavic/king tubeless..

Submitted by Burt a Cross Country Rider from Kansas City, MO

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    Great balance on the trail. Fit and finish are perfect, too. Damn thing fits like I was born with it attached to my body.

Weaknesses:    Uh...give me a few years and I'll try to figure one out.

Bottom Line:
I'm a clydesdale so I was somewhat afraid of buying a steel bike. Shouldn't have been though. The Sycip guys built a bike for me that is compliant, balanced and beautiful. It smooths out the trail but I can still stand on it and hammer without it getting noodly. And it comes in at 26 lb. (a lot for some guys but I weigh 230 so percentage of body weight it's perfect...and quite durable..which is what I wanted...a beefy bike that I could ride for years to come). I didn't go with anything light because I wanted stuff to last. I'm sure I could have trimmed the weight by a bit.

Jeremy spent hours on the phone with me helping out with small details. Even after doing a fit test at my shop, he made a couple of suggestions on changes he thought might really help...and he was right. A real pleasure to deal with and an exceptional craftsman.

On the trail the bike just glides along over tough, technical terrain. In winding, smooth single track it carves corners like it's on rails and climbing is exceptional too. Perfect for XC riders wanting an all day long bike that can whip tail on race day also.

While this bike has already proved to be excellent in every way, perhaps the most fun is hearing people try to pronounce the name.

Get one of these bikes. To heck with the cost. You'll be glad. One problem though: you'll need to find more time in your life because you'll spend many more hours riding.

Favorite Trail:   Mack's Ridge in Fruita

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   Haven't really done steel since the late 80s. Glad I came back. Used to riding alum. hardtails. No comparison.

Bike Setup:   Fox, SRAM, Avid mechanical discs.

Submitted by Agam Sharda a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: May 26, 2002

Strengths:    Geometry, welds, paint and the Customer Service

Weaknesses:    Can't think of any yet

Bottom Line:
Good bike. Great customer service. They know what they are talking about when designing a frame for you.

Favorite Trail:   National Trail - South Mountain

Similar Products Used:   Spot Steel hardtails, Titus FCR

Submitted by Lenny a Cross Country Rider from NJ

Date Reviewed: March 31, 2002

Strengths:    Telepathic handling, extreme stability at speed, perfect fit, awesome powdercoat paint, beautiful frame design, almost too beautiful to ride.

Weaknesses:    Price
(but I still gave it 5 flamin' chilis cuz it's worth it)

Bottom Line:
I've only ridden this thing 3 times, but I can already tell it's the Holy Grail of Hardtails. I can only compare it to my Bontrager, so here goes: fit is perfect, slightly better than my med Bonty, about 1 lb lighter, more stable at speed, more controlable in the tight technical stuff (how can it be better at both ends of the speed/handling spectrum?), better climber.
I can't praise this frame enough.
Before I bought it, I considered Strong, Soulcraft, Wojcik, Vicious, and several others. However, once I talked to Jeremy Sycip, and checked out their web page, the decision was made. He is absolutely committed to giving the customer exactly what he wants. Must've spent several hours on the phone with him discussing angles, measurements, options, etc. Also, he was always accessible when I called to inquire on the status.
Finally, if you are at all considering a new bike, hardtail or otherwise, make sure it has disc brake tabs on it. These things Rock!
Imagine riding thru water or mud and not having to worry about your brakes. I can already do the downhills faster with them.
If you're a hardtail lover like I am, this is the frame for you. Al is too unforgiving and has a much shorter life span, Ti is too expensive and there's no reason to get a cool paint job on it.
Steel is Real!

Favorite Trail:   Allamuchy St. Park

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race, Bridgestone MB-2
(yeah, I like steel hardtails)

Bike Setup:   King HS, XTR Drivetrain, Grip Shift, Dave's Wheels (King/ Valiant), Avid Mech Discs, Thomson post & stem, EA-70 Bar

Submitted by jeremy sarrow a Racer from San Francisco, ca

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth ride, very light for a steel hard tail, carves the single track and climbs like a goat.

Weaknesses:    Wish it was free..!!

Bottom Line:
Very sweet ride, I race this thing and its vey fast in all conditions, especially the tight stuff. Comes in at 23.5 lbs (21" frame) with no silly light stuff on it. The Sycip Bros are very cool and have great dinning tips on their web site, sycip.com. Cool seat stays.

Favorite Trail:   China Camp

Purchased At:   Sycip

Similar Products Used:   Gary fisher hard tail, giant hard tail, lot's of BMX bike
in the day!

Bike Setup:   XTR shift/brake/hubs, derailers, R. face cranks, h-bar, H-set, mavic rims, thomson post, flite seat. Sycip stem!!

Submitted by Frankinator a Weekend Warrior from SDCA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Strengths:    You gotta try real hard (or live in the Bay Area) to find someone else who has one.

Weaknesses:    Costs ALOT more than similar 853 frames.

Bottom Line:
My frame differs a bit from what's pictured on the Sycip website (which could use some updating) image: htpp://www.southbaybikes.com/charlotte.jpg

The pennies are painted over like in some of the frames in their printed catalog, and the 853 decal on the downtube is AWOL.

The workmanship is very nice, the finish is perfection. My rear wheel mounts a tad off center, being closer to the left chainstay. I know this coz I have to put frame saver tape on that side so my 2.1 tires won't rub the finish. I am not sure if the frame is off because the handling isn't odd at all. Could be the wheel. The rest of the components of the build kit dropped right in. The $50 charge for disc brake mounts got me the tabs and braze ons for the hoses along the top tube. They also did away with vee bosses.

Ride: Welp, this is my first steel frame, having been weaned on a Stumpjumper M2 and a Cannondale CAAD4 and I can honestly say that there is a difference. Steel definitely has some lateral flex. It's nothing bad, it's just something that when combined with the rest of the frame's give, adds up to a ride that "rounds off" the bumps and hits. Vertical flex/give/compliance is not as bad as some ppl would have you believe. You can hammer this frame, just don't look for that solid feel of Al. It's cushier. This is a good base for an all day trailbike. Which is what I built it up as.

Handling: I don't think any 2 custom bikes will handle the same. Mine is set up slack, with a 4 inch fork and still agile.

Bottom Line: Sure, you could get a Gunnar or a Salsa or an Ibis Mojo for ALOT less money than Jay and Jeremy's frame, you will also see more of those brands on the trails. Exclusivity has it's price. Besides, Ferraris and Porsches are relatively common. Be an individual and drive a Maserati instead! Get a Sycip!

One chili off the value rating coz of price. 5 hot ones overall! I'll get a Ti frame from these guys when I can afford it.

Purchased At:   Sycip Designs

Similar Products Used:   Stumper M2, Dale F2000SX

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR, XT discs, XVert Super, RF Next ISIS, Thomson, Easton, King, Time, Selle Italia, Michelin.

Submitted by Yablo from Oakland

Date Reviewed: September 7, 2000

Strengths:    Great frame. Quick but all day comfortable.
Meant to be raced.

Weaknesses:    The only weakness is the rider

Bottom Line:
This is what Mtn. Biking is all about to me. Used to ride a Yeti ARC until some punk stole it from my garage. Started riding my old steel frame and decided to test ride a Sycip. WOW!! I won't ever go back to aluminum again.
I'm not very good with descriptions of ride quality or anything but this bike is just great. Comfy, fast, whatever you need. Not only is it an incredible ride but it looks great too. The pennies are a great touch.
The guys are great as well. Wandered into the shop one day and they took the time to sell me some shirts and helped a friend with his frame. If you're looking for a great mtn. bike ride one of these.
Now to scrounge pennies for one of their road bikes...

Favorite Trail:   Lower Totem, Giant Salamander

Purchased At:   Freewheel

Similar Products Used:   Yeti Arc

Bike Setup:   Full XT 9 spd. with Atom Bomb fork Thompson seatpost, Kore stem wtb saddle, geax tires

Submitted by Kenny Cleveland a Racer from San Jose

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Strengths:    Having a frame made just the way you want it. Jeremy measured and then we talked. What we ended up with was a sweet 853 steel frame that handles like a dream climbing and feels like a well trimmed speed boat as it glides across the bumps in the trails.

Weaknesses:    Correcting people on the name. Should have bought one earlier.

Bottom Line:
If you have the patients for quality then this is a great bike for you. It gives you the geometry you like, the service you expect, and feel of being in an extreme sports car.

Favorite Trail:   Stevens Creek Canyon

Similar Products Used:   1st bike Nishiki Cascade, Cannondale Super V 700 & 900

Bike Setup:   Sid XC, XT, Mavic Crosslands, Gripshift 9sp

Submitted by Dennis McGovern a Racer from San Francisco

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Strengths:    It is a great all-rounder. It goes up, down and turns like I want it to, usually when I want it to. Looks really good. My Bike is very green with custom paint and it really stands out. Super comfortable on longer rides.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes you have to wait....And you spend a lot of time saying, "no it's SEE-SIP"

Bottom Line:
The fit is the best part about the price, Jeremy measured me up and we talked about what I wanted from the bike and I actually got what I wanted. The steel ride is great and at 24 lbs, it weighs in OK [the Race Lites are the only really lite thing on the bike].

Favorite Trail:   Purisima Creek