Supergo 2000 Access Ti Frameset

4.33/5 (15 Reviews)

Supergo 2000 Access Ti

Submitted by Don from San Diego

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2001

Strengths:    Lightweight;no care frame;comfortable ride;NO QUALITY DEFECTS;great price

Weaknesses:    High standover height

Bottom Line:
Two years later and it didn't break after riding fast and hard,including fast DH runs.3.37 lb.frame weight makes for a truly lightweight care free ride. Don't buy the BS about only a US made Ti frame is any good.If you want to spend a lot of cash on a frame,buy a high end FS frame. Don't waste your cash on a overpriced US made Ti HT.All manufacturers have had frames that break.I rode this one hard and fast to make sure I didn't get a frame that had a problem.What a deal!

Similar Products Used:   Steel and aluminum HTs and FS bikes

Bike Setup:   SID 100;XTR&XT;Avid AR 50s; WTB tires;Ibis Ti handlebar;Tahoma stem;Cane Creek suspension seatpost;Velo seat

Submitted by David a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: April 17, 2001

Strengths:    Titanium
Lightweight
Cheap

Weaknesses:    The standover height is high

Bottom Line:
After riding the bike for a year now, I would like to update my original review. While much of the what I said still holds true (compliant ride, lightweight, etc.) one thing that I have to mention (becuase it bothers me enough that I have to buy a new frame) is the stand-over height, as in it has none. In response to Tony, I have an 18" frame, my stem length is 135mm and my saddle is pushed all the way back. I my riding position feels fine. Now, tell me Tony, what would happen of I got the 16" frame where the top tube is 1" shorter? Should I be riding with a 150 or 160mm stem? That's ridiculuous! If you had ever bother to look at other frame manufacturers and the geometry of their bikes, very few have a 5.1" head tube (that's pretty big). You happened to have a very long inseam and that's why the bike happens to fit you well. Supergo should have designed the bike geometry to the specs of their AL hardtail (at least for my body). BTW I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam.
While I still think it's great frame for the money, you have to have the correct body type to be comfortable.
This is partially Supergo's fault as they did not provide standover height measurements for the Access Ti (as they did for the Access HT-Alu). One of the Supergo tech people even told me that the frame specs were the same... WRONG!
My only warning is before you buy the bike, make sure you have the correct body type. On that note, does anyone want to buy a used Access Ti frame ($250 obo)? :-P

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   Access Ti, XMO fork, Raceface crank/BB, Avid brakeset, SRAM 9.0 SL shifter/derailleur

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Phx

Date Reviewed: January 25, 2001

Weaknesses:    oh no!..a little flex in the bottom bracket not noticed until using larger tire...I personally couldn't care as it doesn't bother me..but as this is a review, some one anal about bottom bracket flex, might care about it.

Bottom Line:
This is an update of the review below. The bike fell apart and I died...JUST KIDDING! Actually after a couple more weeks of pouncing and changing out the 2.1 rear tire for my 2.25 Sedona, I have encountered the flexy bottom bracket. I made a point of comparing the frame to my old sweet dearly departed Rock Lobster. That was a comparsion that I entended to show that the Access was quite good. I still contend that it is quite good. I have reread my previous review and feel that I made the Rock Lobster sound merely average or less than the Access. While still amazed at the Access, it will never, ever be the bike that a hand built custom tubed, custom made Rock Lobster is. I apologize to Paul Schafer for not making that clear in the first review. All this said, if you have the means for a Lobster, dive on it, you will never regret it. However, if you only have $500, the Access Ti and its kinda flexy bottom bracket is one amazing performance value! I hope this cleared up- instead of confusing!

Bike Setup:   single speed with back tire hastly thrown in a little crooked-flexed enough to rub chainstays on the downstroke in power situations

Submitted by Tony a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix

Date Reviewed: January 1, 2001

Strengths:    Amazing build quality for the price. Access stickers peel right off.

Weaknesses:    Supergo "oh, thats a cheap frame" attitude from bike snobs.

Bottom Line:
I wasn't going to review this frame. I've had other high end frames and was going to just sneak this one past my riding budds. However, after riding it and recieving lots o comments on it, it deserves this post. Not telling anyone that it was an Access, my first response on the first ride was, "that bike is just beautiful!" " holy s##t! What did you spend on that?" You get the point. So much for looks. After pounding the crap out of it for a few months, its turned into my favorite ride. Its a beast that takes whatever you give it. I'm 6' 190lbs. I'm riding a large because I have 35" inseam and I love the fit. I don't know why people are complaining about the tall headtube. If the stand over is too tall, then you bought the wrong size. I totally trust this bike. I launch off drop offs, fly down hill with complete confidence, power up climbs sawing away at the bars(singlespeed) and never worry about the bike. Also, the flex some people complain about is not an issue for me. Remember my size now. I may not be a clydesdale, but I'm not 150 either. I've not noticed any harmful flex other than soaking up the bumps during a ride. This frame replaced a custom built Rock Lobster that was stolen. It rides not as well, but even alittle better. Its actually kind of sad how technology has brought production frames to point where they can complete with custom stuff. I guess the consumer benefits. But , that's another story. Score this frame, size it right, you won't be sorry!

Similar Products Used:   Wicked ti, Titus ti

Bike Setup:   Single speed, Mars 1, Raceface, Etc.

Submitted by Zeus a Weekend Warrior from Berrien Springs, MI

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2000

Strengths:    Light
Stiff for Ti
Top and slotted cable routing
Suspension-specific geometry (except head tube)
Easy build - no material flaws

Weaknesses:    Ugly pea-green decals
sharp cable stops
Long head tube (gives tall stand-over)

Bottom Line:
Simply put, for the money, you can't find a better deal. Nearly as stiff as steel, lighter than aluminum and a much plusher ride.

The decals peel off easy and make great fly-paper.

This bike built very easily; a caution is included recommending the BB threads be chased, but they were already perfect. Finish is beautiful, although not Merlin craftmanship(then again, this cost less than 1/5!).

No frills Ti frame, easy build and cheap = a great ride with $$$ to spare for parts upgrades. If you want a name on your frame, spend $1800 more and get a Litespeed Tanasi or Merlin XLM. If you're looking for quality, inexpensive Ti with a great ride, this is it.

Favorite Trail:   Rubicon Jeep Trail

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Stumpjumper Comp
Fisher
Trek 8500
Klein Attitude

Bike Setup:   Manitou Mars 1, King/517s, Bontrager ST2's,post, stem, bars, and ends. SRAM Attacks/XT Hollowtech drivetrain and brakes.

Submitted by Don Stoffel from Jamul,CA,USA

Date Reviewed: September 16, 2000

Strengths:    Lightweight, at 3.37 lb. for the 16 in. model.Very forgiving
ride with very little lateral flex. Nice welds and overall
finish.

Weaknesses:    3 things: There was one sharp cable stop(2 strokes with a file fixed this). Seat stays flexed with Avid ARs(Broadie
brake booster fixed this. I've had this on aluminum frames
though.I had to get a beefy Redline seatpost collar to keep
post from slipping. Other Ti frame makers use alum. inserts.

Bottom Line:
I had the good fortune to visit the Supergo store in Oceanside and pick a frame out of several frames. The welds are about as "pretty" as Litespeeds. I used a nylon scouring
pad with polish to brighten up the frame. Everything went together perfectly,and there was only one imperfection(cable stop).I have been riding this frame for 8 months and
have felt lateral flex once on a very fast DH transition to a steep climb. My wheel slipped into a rut and was lodged between a large rock and the side of the rut. I powered out of it but did feel some flex.This would have been felt on steel and alum. also. The ride is very comfortable and the
seatpost makes it a great ride.I have ridden this on very
fast rocky DH runs and have had no frame problems. I waited 8 months to post a review as to test it out for quality.No
lifetime warranty but it has a better warranty than some FS and alum. HTs.I feel very confident in the quality of the frame.The large S bend chain and seat stays are extra items not found on the other cheap frames.This is sraight gauge
Ti and proves that a frame maker can make a good Ti frame at
this price point.At a little over $500 out the door and with no ugly stickers on mine,what else could you ask for.

Favorite Trail:   Cuyamaca State Park

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   No Ti frames; but steel,and aluminum HTs.

Bike Setup:   Full XT drivetrain with 517 XTR wheelset. Avid AR 50s with
2.0 levers.Tahoma stem and Ibis Ti handlebar with Oury grips
of course.Diacompe Aheadset and 80 mm RS SID x country.FSA
Ti bottom bracket(no flex) and Thudbuster seatpost(Cane Creek) with WTB VelociRaptor tires with lunar lights tubes.
Performance Titanio seat made by Velo with susp. rear and
covered cutout in front for comfort.Performance Ti Skewers.

Submitted by Patrik Westerlund a Cross Country Rider from Stockholm, Sweden

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2000

Strengths:    Light (1,45 kg 16" frame size)

Weaknesses:    Not 100 % level steerhead (headset cups seat). A bit high stand-over compared to it's size. Upper cablerouting?

Bottom Line:
I bought this frame because I got the opportunity to buy it cheap (swedish prices are higher than the us mind you...) and it looked like my size. Nice welding, nice cablestops and waterbottlemounts too. I like the way it rides with me. It feels light and stiff but still compliant like steel in the rough. It is .45 kg lighter than my latest steel steed, a Scott Pro racing, and I can definetly feel the difference in weight. I have not noticed any flex that bothers me (maybe I am to much an amateur or just to light at 65 kg...). The upper cablerouting lies on the right side of the toptube, and I am not sure whether this is smart or not. It's definetly interesting....
A great frame for the price

Purchased At:   Private, demo ex

Similar Products Used:   Nope, just steel frames

Bike Setup:   24 gear xtr, syncros post and headset, hope wheels, Icon/Hyperlite/X-Lite steering, -97 RS Judy SL

Submitted by Karlaecycling a Weekend Warrior from Bangkok, Thailand

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2000

Strengths:    Inexpensive with Ti frame.

Weaknesses:    Sticker on the Frame.

Bottom Line:
Good for the price in Ti frame.
Good sprint on the road and good for controling in off-road.

Similar Products Used:   First with Ti

Bike Setup:   All XTs set.

Submitted by Karlaecycking from Bangkok, Thailand

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2000

Strengths:    Prices for the Ti Frame that I never seen before.

Weaknesses:    A little problem with rear brake post, but it is not a big deal.

Bottom Line:
Well, This is the first time that I deal with Ti Frame. I feel much more about the power that I got from this frame when I pedeling.
I have been riding with Cr-Mo frames for almost 10 Years, but I don't think I'll be back to buy an expensive Cr-Mo frame any more.
This frame is really stiff, but not too still, I guess. However, it is a first time. Maybe it should be more or less stiff.
I just riding it just a few day ago. I'll post some more again when I ride on a big tirp with my friends in Thailand.
In my opinion in this time at the first time, I'll give 5 Chilies for this one.

Similar Products Used:   First Time with Ti Frame. I have no idea about this.

Bike Setup:   Access Ti 2000 with all XT group set except shifter. Volocity Aero Heat Rim. DT Spoke. RID Race 2000.

Submitted by Jasper Franks a Cross Country Rider from Golden, CO

Date Reviewed: April 11, 2000

Strengths:    Price, if at $489 (Looks like Supergo raised this)

Weaknesses:    Flexes much more than Litespeed, Dean or other Ti frames. Not much better than a good Al frame, except for a bit weight savings

Bottom Line:
This frame flexes. If you are expecting Litespeed quality, forget it. Also, the geometry is not proper in the larger size. It has too high seat tube, almost like a road bike (Yes, I got the MTB frame, with 1.125 head tube diam).

If you get this for $489, then it is probably a fair deal. Supergo raised the price to $599. I'd say not worth the extra $110.

Favorite Trail:   Long Creek

Bike Setup:   XT/XTR, mavic, etc

Submitted by John Godden a Cross Country Rider from Granada Hills Ca.

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2000

Strengths:    Smooth ride quality, excelent handling, welds and finish, value, good folks at Supergo. Yeah, that's right!

Weaknesses:    Ugly decals.... at least they come off easy.

Bottom Line:
OK, I've got about 500 miles on this sucker now and thought I'd update my review.

Yeowwww, still love this bike! I've learned how to deal with the slightly longer chainstays (as compared to Genesis geo) and now I climb just as good as before. This frame really rocks. I'm getting more and more confident in it every day.

The overall feel of the bike is absolutely outstanding. I never would have thought that Ti material would make this much difference. Damn, I with I could get a Genesis Ti frame!

Anyway, I'm gonna build up another bike with this frame. It's gonna be an urban assault vehicle. Ridged front, 1" slicks, Ti foo-foo parts. Can't wait till I show up at the Sunday club rides with that thing. Jumpin curbs while the roadies are avoiding the little cracks in the road. LOL!!!
Good rides to all JohnG

Favorite Trail:   Mission Peak

Similar Products Used:   Fisher Mt. Tam and Sugar 1. Lots of other crap

Bike Setup:   Mostly XT. Judy XC with Englunds, Panaracer Mach SS in front and WTB racing raptor in back.

Submitted by David Tsaang a Cross Country Rider from New York

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2000

Strengths:    The PRICE!
It's titanium!
It's light!
Rides like a dream!
Did I mention the price?

Weaknesses:    Cheap and ugly decals (lime green-what were they thinking?) and so-so finish.
Very little standover clearance

Bottom Line:
Holy cheap change, Batman! $489 for a titanium frame! WOW! The ride on this bike is great. Instantly I felt a difference. The frame does damping vibration very well. But then again, one would expect that of titanium. The bike feels extremely zippy compared to my steel bike. Climbing is a lot easier since the frame only weighs 3.58lbs (18"). The ride quality is similar to ti frames costing over twice as much. The decals are ugly (lime green?? - eeww!), but they easily come off. The finish isn't the greatest, but for the amount of money I saved, I can easily afford a custom paint job (though personally, I really like the industrial ti matte look!)
The only real problem with the bike is that the standover clearance is not as much as I'm accustomed to. I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam. The tech guy at Supergo suggested that I go for the 18" frame. They claim that the standover height is 28". There is no way in hell this can true. The 18" Access Alu-HT which has a 4.3" headtube has a 28" standover clearance. The 18" Access ti has a 5" headtube! The standover clearance is definitely more than 28". I'm already using a 135mm stem so a smaller frame wouldn't do me much good.
But overall, for less $500, you're getting a quality ti frame that's worth twice as much. Finally, the rest can enjoy what once only the wealthy had.
Great bike, but only 4 chilis because my balls have feelings too!

Similar Products Used:   Univega steel, Cannondale, Dean Scout

Bike Setup:   XMO SL fork, Raceface cranks/BB, SRAM shifter/derailleur, Kore headset, Hyperlite bar, Avid Arch50/Ultimate brakeset, 747 pedals, etc.

Submitted by Jordon a Weekend Warrior from Portland OR USA

Date Reviewed: February 1, 2000

Strengths:    light weight stiff great price!!

Weaknesses:    ugly pea green stickers

Bottom Line:
i got the 16 in size and have to say i
couldnt be any more happy with it..
the welds are nearly perfect. its
light and the rear end is stiff with
the S-bends in the seat stays. you
could spend twice as much on another
Ti frame but there really is no need
to this frame rocks !!! mine weighs in
at 22.5 lbs it climbs like a dream and
is stable at high speeds downhill. so
if your considering a Ti frame look no
further... and like the other person
said the stickers come off easy i took
mine off and got a set of decals and a
front badge from Litespeed for $20
unless you work for litespeed you
would probally never know the
diffrence

Favorite Trail:   secret

Bike Setup:   2000 LX crank and hubs all other
drivetrain XT 8speed sun sub rims

Submitted by Rome Felicano a Cross Country Rider from Diego Garcia, B.I.O.T

Date Reviewed: January 21, 2000

Strengths:    Light weight, Price, nice welds.

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
Best Ti deal there is.

Favorite Trail:   Rocky Root Trail

Bike Setup:   built two. 16" with 99 Superfly,XTR/SRAM shifters/Spins/CT2 bar Azonic Stem, DEAN Ti post, Flite Ti, Arch Rival 50's. Also a 18" with XT/Raceface cranks, custom built wheels, AR 50's, Club roost saddle, Nashbar suspension post, Superfly...

Submitted by John Godden a Cross-Country Rider from Granada Hills, Ca.

Date Reviewed: January 2, 2000

Strengths:
ride quality, fit/finish, value. Cheesy decals can be removed real easy.

Weaknesses:
hmmm.... none yet. OK, I'd prefer slightly shorter chain stays. Stock is 16.75 which is pretty typical for most MTBs.

Bottom Line:
The frame went together VERY easily. Everything aligned perfectly and I barely had to touch my derailier settings. The weld quality is pretty good….. granted not as nice as the foo-foo frames but perfectly adequate. I also got a headset and a nice aluminum steerer tubed Manitou….. total was $600. Amazing. At under $500 I figure this frame is an absolute steal!OK, so I've only ridden this bike about 70 miles with about 40 miles in the dirt. Overall I'm quite please with the frame! The ride quality is EXCELENT…. VERY smooth and vibration free…. I'll probably NEVER ride an aluminum HT again. I've ridden the same steep hill course three days in a row and my back feels better today than before the rides started. On my aluminum HT I usually had to take a day or two off after a couple of days in the saddle. The frame is also quite stiff laterally…. absolutely no hint of BB sway (which REALLY surprised me). Oh, my frame size is a 16 so maybe that's why mine feels fairly stiff. TI rules!!!!!!!!!The frame geometry on the Access is billed as classic NORBA I'd probably prefer slightly shorter chainstays (stock is 16.75) but that's a personal thing with me. I ride a lot a very steep grades and I prefer a chainstay about 16.25. This may also be due to the fact that I run slicks which don't give very good traction anyway. Other than this relatively minor complaint I'm VERY please with the handling of the Access. Oh, it does have good low speed manners and I can trackstand for much longer then ever before (without dabbing). It's also OK on the downhills but I haven't seriously explored this area yet. I want to get real comfortable before I go down the really serious stuff. Oh, I do feel just a tiny bit more forward with the Access than I'd like but that's probably because I'm used to the super long top tube of Genesis. Overall, I'm quite impressed with the frame….. especially with the ride quality on the road and relatively smooth offroad trails. This is not a FS by any means so keep that in mind. It IS, however, a HUGE improvement over aluminum HTs though!!!! Again, Ti Rules!!!!!!!!!!!I'll post again after I've got a couple of months on the frame.

Mission Peak