Spot Brand Steel Frame Frameset

4.93/5 (15 Reviews)

Spot Brand Steel Frame

Submitted by Ted C a Cross Country Rider from Fort Leavenworth, KS

Date Reviewed: September 26, 2004

Strengths:    Solid ride with very predictable handling. Zero flex out of the saddle climbing. Welds are very clean. Paint is sweet. Easy build-up - bike went together like clockwork. The Spot is a great value - hundreds less than a Indy, Vicious, or Sycip --- with welds and finish equally as good. I love this bike.

Weaknesses:    None to date

Bottom Line:
I'd buy it again. I might consider a 29" in the future. If you're considering a real singlespeed go buy a Spot. If you've never tried a single speed, take that nasty deraileur off your mountain bike, buy a conversion kit and give it a try. Ok --- now wipe that smile off your face and go buy a Spot.

Favorite Trail:   River Trails

Purchased At:   Web Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   The Spot replaced a Kona Kaboom SS that I rode religiously for about five years. Cannondale SS conversion before that. I also ride a Santa Cruz Blur, a Litespeed Occoee (recently sold), a Salsa Bandito, a Litespeed Ultimate, Merlin custom cross bike, and a GT track bike (commuter). Not really sure why I have all these bikes when the singlespeed and the track bike see most of the use.

Bike Setup:   Spot 19" John Deere green SS Frame, orange Vicious Cycles rigid fork, Chris King SS hubs and headset, Race Face Turbine cranks, and Deus stem, Mavic X517 rims, DT DB black spokes, Tioga CC Tires, Easton riser bars, Selle Italia saddle, Thomson seatpost, Shimano XTR V-brakes, 535 pedals and old style square bottom bracket, Spot chainring and guard, SRAM chain. I went with a non-disc frame - because of availability and simplicity. I'm happy with this choice. It's simple and it requires virtually no maintenance with all sealed bearings.

Submitted by John Daetwyler a Cross Country Rider from Austin,TX, USA

Date Reviewed: April 13, 2004

Strengths:    Handles extremely well. Great blend of rigidity and flex. Soaks up vibration, yet still able to hammer hard with no flex.

Weaknesses:    I haven't found one yet.

Bottom Line:
The best steel frame for the $. I doubt I will ever part with this frame, but if I do it is because I bought another SPOT.

Similar Products Used:   Kona Unit, Kona Exsplosif, IF Deluxe.

Bike Setup:   Rigid carbon fork. Race Face Next LP cranks. XTR shifters/der.s. King headset and hubs. Cane Creek brakes with Kooka Racha levers.

Submitted by Tim Daniels a Cross Country Rider from Alameda, CA

Date Reviewed: January 30, 2003

Strengths:    A frame that fits. Not all bike manufacturers recognize there are those of us over 6' tall. The compliance of the steel frame is almost like having suspension. Point and shoot tracking accuracy.

Weaknesses:    None yet but I'm wondering if the frame is TOO compliant. If I look down at the BB while I'm mashing on the gas pedals I can see very noticable flex. If this were an aluminum frame I would be very afraid to see this. Steel is much more forgiving but I'm wondering how much of this it will take before it fails...time will tell.

Bottom Line:
I had some problems getting it dialed in initially due to the rear axle slipping in the dropouts. If I understand correctly, they are building with eccentric bottom brackets and vertical dropouts so it's no longer an issue. I solved my dilemma with a pair of BMX style chain tensioners/tugs. With that out of the way I finally got to put it through the paces. It performs flawlessly. I get a kick out of flying by riders climbing AND decending. I'm not an exclusive single speeder but more often than not I pull the SS out of the garage to go for a ride.

Favorite Trail:   South Burma, Annadel State Park

Purchased At:   Spot

Bike Setup:   Large frame, Vicious fork, wheels by Jon "angry man" Rizzo (Mavic 519/Paul hubs/DT 14/15 spokes), RF taper lock BB, RF turbine LP crank, Spot 34T ring, Thompson stem, CK headset, Bontrager crowbar (steel), Avid Single Digit 7 brakes with Avid speed dial levers, ODI lock-on grips

Submitted by chris_slug a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: October 25, 2002

Strengths:    Great geometry, superb finish, compliant and durable

Weaknesses:    none so far

Bottom Line:
I had flirted with single speeding for the past few years, but wasn't sure if I could part with my Superlight. I got a really good deal on the Spot and built it up last year. I had so much fun riding the Spot that the Superlight lay dormant for over 6 months before I finally let it go to a better owner. The Spot is now my only dedicated mountain bike (my 'cross bike logs more road than dirt miles these days) and I don't regret it. It is very light (20.5 lb.) and handles great. I recently successfully completed a 24 hour race on it (Idyllwild - 2 man division) and will use it again next year. Spot also makes great hubs (they seem to work best with Spot frames or with tensioners to avoid slippage), chainrings, and chainguards. Anyone looking to try something new and get more out of their limited riding schedule and budget should go out and get a single speed (even if it's not a Spot). Feel free to email with specific questions you may have.

Favorite Trail:   whatever time allows

Similar Products Used:   depends what you mean by similar: I have a Waterford cross bike (steel frame), sold my SC Superlight this year (fat tires, excellent off-road performance).

Bike Setup:   Med (17.5) red frame, Spot/517 wheels, RF 180 cranks, Sedona 225 suspension tires, Voodoo rigid/Marzocchi MXC forks, Monkeylite bars, Thomson stem, Arch rival brakes

Submitted by Rob a Cross Country Rider from Novato, CA USA!!!

Date Reviewed: October 10, 2002

Strengths:    Excellent value, compliant yet responsive ride, light frame, great geometry.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
This ride is unbelievable! For over two years I've ridden this bike rain or shine and loved every ride. The ride is a cross between a BMX bike and a Schwinn Cruiser. I will never own another geared mountain bike as there is no need for gears. I'm always passing geared bikes going up hill. And the rides down are fast and precise. For those who ask, "Why a single-speed?" Get a spot and you'll undoubtedly find out. Less weight and maintenance too. My ride is so sweet I call the bike G-Spot (its green you silly).

Favorite Trail:   The one to the top of Mt Burdell

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi B.A.S.S.

Bike Setup:   Paul Hubs, Spot Chain Ring, 34:17, Marzocchi Super Fly, Paul Compact Love Levers, Mavic F519 Freeride rims, Thomson stem and post, Chris King Headset, WTB Ti saddle, Qranc riser bar.

Submitted by bossvader a Cross Country Rider from Huntington Beach, CA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 2002

Strengths:    Steel, Ride Characteristics, Geometry, Finish, Helpful Folks at Spot

Weaknesses:    None Yet.... Well it seems to be taking up all my free time.

Bottom Line:
This bike is everything I hoped and more. The frame's characteristics are incredible, it is so stiff in all the right places and smooth at all the right times. It's ready to climb when I am, sometimes even when I'm not, and skips down the single track like it knows what corner is coming. I don't think I will ever ride a non-steel hard tail again. The finish is first rate, dark glossy blue with silver stickers . Every time I take it out it attracts attention, there is definitely some bike envy going on with my friends. Great value, half the price of other small/botique brands, I can;t believ they ride twice as good.

Purchased At:   The Path, Tustin CA

Similar Products Used:   D.i.S.S, C.u.S.S

Bike Setup:   Some of the Important Stuff: Paul Hubs, Spot Chain Ring, 34:20, Marzochi Atom Race: This is a *very* cool fork. Very stiff, and the ECC lockout is great, flip it, lean foward and it lowers and locks, great for climbing. Other good stuff, Race Face, Thomson etc...

Submitted by Jason a Cross Country Rider from Milan, MI

Date Reviewed: May 31, 2002

Strengths:    Handbuilt frames, custom dropouts, comfy ride, and powered by old-fashioned hard work.

Weaknesses:    The bike isn't weak, but it sure hurts me.

Bottom Line:
I had been out of biking for a few years and when I decided to get back in to it I bought my Spot. Needless to say I am hooked and do not own a bike with gears anymore. I like the idea of one speed. I have always been a fan of steel frames, that is all that I have owned. The bike handles really well and the frame is just the right stiffness. I am running a 34/18 set up which works great for climbs. I haven't felt more comfortable on downhills until this bike. Excellent customer service, and quality product.

Purchased At:   Spot Brand World Headquaters

Similar Products Used:   Used to ride gears, tried some homemade Singlespeeds, not the same.

Bike Setup:   Spot Wheels, Chainring, Guard, Raceface, Rockshox Duke SL.

Submitted by Brian a Cross Country Rider from Bellingham, wa, usa

Date Reviewed: February 11, 2002

Strengths:    flat black powdercoat, tubing mix, custom SPOT dropouts, ovalized downtube, customer service.

Weaknesses:    none yet, doubt there will be any either, what could be weak about a singlespeed except the rider???

Bottom Line:
I demoed a bike for a few weeks. Then went and bought my very own. I really pimped this thing out, tons of flak from my friends at the trail head. This thing climbs like my Ti frame, maybe even stiffer, dunno how, but sure feels that way. Have it geared at 34/20 for winter, but down to 18 (I hope) this summer. The damn thing is so light in the backend (duh, no dinner plate cassette or derailleur) it skips down the trail. Better keep thinking about momentum on the way up, but out of the saddle gets your friends rattled. I love the idea of beating my bros up climbs on a singlespeed. I've looked at other frames, but I really can't see finding a better deal on a custom, handbuilt frame. The blokes at Spot are killer to work with and all my calls and emails were returned without hassle. They really did go the extra ten miles, or, kilometres. They're Canadian, eh!!! I gotta grab some of the woolies they put out too!!!

I'm really truly giving them five chilis on this. Period.

Favorite Trail:   the dirt ones that go up

Purchased At:   Spot direct

Bike Setup:   wheels, shock, pedals, cranks.........blah blah blah. 20/20 hindsight, upgrade to front disk.

Submitted by Eric a Cross Country Rider from Ann Arbor, MI

Date Reviewed: November 14, 2001

Strengths:    Stiff BB from the oval downtube yet compliant ride. Low and compact it's a great bike for technical, twisty riding. Nice looking frame my black powdercoat still looks good after two years.

Weaknesses:    none.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding this bike for two years and it has evolved to it's present set-up. I really like the bike with a 100mm travel fork as, I prefer slacker angles. The Fox Forx 100 is awesome and really like it with this bike. It also matches the Spot matt black PC almost perfect.

This is a great bike that as built is very light and lively. Pure fun to ride on Midwest singletrack. I have a FS xc and racing hardtail but, I almost always grab the single speed now.

Purchased At:   direct

Similar Products Used:   none. my first ss.

Bike Setup:   CK SS hubs on Mavic 517's. Paul brakes and levers. RF cranks, BB, bar, stem, seatpost. Fox Forx Vanilla RLC 100.

Submitted by Steve a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver,Canada

Date Reviewed: October 16, 2001

Strengths:    Steel is where it's at. Nimble and fast, the bike loves the attentive rider.

Weaknesses:    None yet!

Bottom Line:
The pure freedom of true riding. A little finesse and alot of grunt, I don't think that i could go back to gears.

Favorite Trail:   North Shore

Purchased At:   From the man himself, hand delivered!

Similar Products Used:   A very old Klien Adroit(great dropouts), full ridgid(and I mean ridgid), custom hubs, Kore, Cook Bros.......

Bike Setup:   Spot custom frame,(height of 17", toptube length of 19"), Spot hubs, Truevative, Kore, Race Face, An old and very loved Tange 'BIG ONE INCH' fork(the real thing), and a fat front tire.

Submitted by Agam Sharda a Cross Country Rider from Phoenix, AZ

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2001

Strengths:    Beautiful frame, very responsive, and great geometry and phenomenal handling.

Weaknesses:    Spot doesn't offer too many colors. I have a silver frame - very pretty, but something like the IF color palette would be awesome.

Bottom Line:
I have a full suspension bike too, apart from this one. After riding a single speed, 20 pound bike, the 25 pound FS with all XTR componentry seems so inefficient, I find myself riding it less and less. The Spot frame is the first steel frame that I have ridden - it is fantastic. It is compliant, but without the power sapping full suspension action.

I ride this bike on National Trail in Phoenix. Check it out - it is an extremely technical and butt busting ride. This bike gives me more confidence going down steep stuff than any other bike has. The bike will track true to where you point it and the really light rear end allows to flick it very easily.

Bottom lline - if you are considering going single speed, Spot should be a frame to consider very seriously. As someone else said: you could get a Sycip or an IF for about twice the cost, but why bother? Spot will do every thing and more.

Favorite Trail:   National Trail - South Mountain

Purchased At:   Rage Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Voodoo Nzumbi (single speed)

Bike Setup:   King SS hub (awesome), Tru Vativ Stylo cranks (32 teeth ring), 8-speed chain, Marin rigid fork, Titec Hell Bent handlebars, Avid brakes, SDG saddle.

Submitted by Adam a Cross Country Rider from East Bay, CA USA

Date Reviewed: September 2, 2000

Strengths:    Light, strong, simple. Great handling. Great customer service. Black.

Weaknesses:    No clear coat on stickers so they rubbed off pretty fast. Minor bit of slag left on drop out but nothing to b*tch about.

Bottom Line:
I've been using my Spot for about two years now and every time I take it out I'm always happy I did. It is one of the best technical trail bikes I've ever ridden (I've owned two Diamond Backs, two Ibis, a Mongoose and I've spent a couple of hours on Whicked Fat and a Yo Eddy). In some ways it reminds me of a cross between a Bontrager and a Bridgestone, it has the same sort of agressive tail manners as a Bontrager, fast and nimble, but the fit of a Bridgestone, low and long.
Let me not forget to say that it climbs very well too, step on the pedals and it seems to leap forward.. and I'm not a stellar climber by any stretch of the imagination.
The best thing about Spot is their customer service! Any time I've had any technical questions (I wanted to find out how they calculated thier head angle so I could have Sicyp make me a rigid fork) or needed a replacement part they have gone out of their way to have been helpful.
I can't say enough good things about my bike or the company.
One F*cking Speed!

Favorite Trail:   7-11

Purchased At:   employee purchace at bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Bianchi BASS. Sicyp single speed. Voodoo single speed (modified Hoodoo), FAT CITY single speed (modified FAT CHANCE), Specialized single speed (highly modified Rock Hopper).

Bike Setup:   Easton EA50 Monkey bars,Race Face Good/Evil grips. Kore Elite stem, Paul brakes and levers, Chris King headset, Sicyp segmented forks, Sycross rims, Spot hubs,Shimano 18 tooth freewheel, Crupi chain tentioner, Bontrager seat and post, Cuissi cages, Suntour XC Pro cranks, Spot Brand chainring 36 tooth, XT bottom bracket, Speedplay Frogs. Various tires depending on trail and conditions.

Submitted by Nick Wallis a Cross Country Rider from Northern England

Date Reviewed: March 10, 2000

Strengths:    Strong, stiff and light

Weaknesses:    Lack of disk brake mount

Bottom Line:
Light, stiff, strong, lively. Handles the jumps at the BMX track and the trails at the weekend. Direct transmission wastes no power when you're racing.
The lack of gears makes it a perfect all year round bike, and my maintenance schedule is frankly embarrasing, but what is there to go wrong (except those poxy V-brakes)?
Buy one and understand what this one-gear lark is all about. It's not as if it will break the bank.
With rigid forks and shorty stem it requires concentration to ride. Let your mind wander and it will spit you off, but the rewards are direct tracking and when you get one of those days when you're hitting the lines it delights like nothing else I've ridden.
Don't buy it if you've come to off-roading from the plush and mush of full suspension or it will bite. But if you appreciate that sweet steel feeling and rewards to match your effort then you should give it serious consideration.
Visit www.spotbikes.com to see pictures.

Favorite Trail:   Devils Causeway, Yorkshire Dales