Seven S-8 Mountain Frameset

MSRP : $2095.00

Seven S-8 Mountain

Submitted by brian gonzales a Weekend Warrior from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: December 30, 2000

Strengths:    Custom fit. I ordered mine with an extended cockpit for commuting, but I use a shorter stem for mountain biking. My frame essentially has a 19" rear triangle and 25" front. I also asked for quicker steering, so a steep head angle was incorporated in the design.

Weaknesses:    None really.

Bottom Line:
How unusual all 3 posts are from Albuquerque area riders. :) My bike was also purchased to replace a too-small Merlin XLM (18.75").

Favorite Trail:   Otero Canyon

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Drive

Similar Products Used:   '98 Merlin XLM (too small)
'96 GT LTS

Bike Setup:   Mostly XT with XTR rear der and brakes, Mavic 517 (F) and 519 (R), usually run with Bonty Jones, ATAC pedals, USE XTC seatpost, Chris King headset.

Submitted by KG a Cross Country Rider from Corrales, New Mexico

Date Reviewed: September 10, 2000

Strengths:    The frame has superb fit,finish and ride. After years of riding an undersized Merlin (based on their simplistic "inseam" measurement method), it is really nice to have a frame that is perfectly sized. I have a long torso and short legs. Normal bike measurements don't work for me. Kudos to Seven's staff!

Weaknesses:    None that I have found. It really surprises me how much it out performs my Merlin. It stears quicker but without that launching sensation you get with steep head angle frames. It climbs seated better and descends more stable. Tell them what you need and they will make it!

Bottom Line:
If you can swing it buy it. It is worth every penny. Craftmanship and Customer service is still alive and kicking at Seven.

Favorite Trail:   original Cactus Cup,Scottsdale

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Drive

Similar Products Used:   Merlin, Specialized Stumpjumper Comp.

Bike Setup:   Seven stem, Marzoochi Atom Bomb, full XTR w/Gripshift, Synchros seatpost,Chris King Headset, Nuke proof hubs and Easton carbon bar.

Submitted by FatBob a Cross-Country Rider from Albuquerque, NM

Date Reviewed: September 1, 1999

Strengths:
Custom Fit, High Quality, Light weight
Lifetime frameset. Costs less than the Butted Sola and only weighs 1/4 pound more.

Weaknesses:
Long lead time. Still costs alot

Bottom Line:
This bike climbs like a goat. First group ride up an 11,300 foot peak was like nothing I'd ever rode before. Not as plush as a full suspension downhill but I'm willing to take a little beating for the climbing ability. The handling in the woods is spot on perfect. The folks at Seven built just what I wanted. The only hard part is the wait to get one. In my case it took a little over two months and I understand that it is currently up to Three.

Otero Canyon