Schwinn straight six Frameset

4.58/5 (12 Reviews)

straight six

Submitted by yourmanwithabike a Downhiller from heatherbothwell@eircom.net

Date Reviewed: October 28, 2009

Strengths:    dosen't weigh much carbon fiber take abuse
great for 4x n weekened downhill

Weaknesses:    all down to fualtly components i bought al in all bike is sound

Bottom Line:
lovly job no race bike but lovly job

Favorite Trail:   moneyscalp

Purchased At:   man from cavan

Similar Products Used:   ..............

Bike Setup:   chris king head set
bomber, mar,drop offs/hopefull totems soon
fox vinilla shock
shmanio st i think
can't rember the rest

Submitted by john a Weekend Warrior from Denver,CO

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2003

Strengths:    Lawill rear rules. Limited bob with very active suspension. Excellent geometry rides great. Did I mention that YETI DH series bike use the same setup. YETI and Schwinn were together at one point.

Weaknesses:    Need second set of rims for cross riding. Factory sun rhinos with 2.3's are an overkill except for resort riding.
hard to mount because of seat height and bb clearance. Slow to accelerate.

Bottom Line:
This bike doesn't suck. Climbs like a mofo with almost no bob. Down hill is unreal. Love the hayes hydrolics.

This big scares the crap out of me. One day I am going to bit it hard. I have to find new trails. The old problems are no match for this ride.

If you find one buy it. They are built with springs not some wimpy air shock that needs to to built every other ride. Stands at 34 lbs coud be sub 30 with another wheel set. If you shave your legs and feel bad about getting pasted on the uphill this bike isn't for you. My girlfriends borrow this bike cause it is so smooth to ride.

Purchased At:   Used

Similar Products Used:   Jamis Dakar, Yeti ASR, Giant AC1,

Bike Setup:   Factory

Submitted by Jay Anderson a Cross Country Rider from Concord, MA, USA!

Date Reviewed: October 31, 2002

Strengths:    Light for full suspension. Good climp and even better downhill.

Weaknesses:    None yet

Bottom Line:
This frame rules. It's my first full suspension bike. Initailly I had mixed feelings about it becuase I've never ridden a dual suspension bike on trail. Several weeks ago, I test rode the Specialized BigHit, and Santa Cruz Bullit. I like the Straight 6 much better. It's lighter and climb is a mofo.
If you can find one, I recommend it highly. O' yeah, it's also strong and all that structural stuffs.

Purchased At:   www.ebay.com

Similar Products Used:   GT Zaskar Team

Bike Setup:   XTR drive train, and XT disc brakes. What can I say, Shimano rules!

Submitted by Terrence Miyasato a Weekend Warrior from Waipahu, Hawaii, United States

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2002

Strengths:    Great suspension travel, saved my butt couple of times. Really learned the importance of travel when front shock bottomed out on my Rocket 88. Well, I would say 95% was rider error. But with the Straight Six - way more forgiving. Stock Hayes Disks - modulate great, Titec stuff - light & strong, XT/XTR components - smooth.

Weaknesses:    Check the factory spring rate before you buy. Mine came w/a 350# spring. Not enough tension. I have a 14" frame, so maybe they figure shorter rider = less weight. I guess for my height 5'5" I'm a clydesdale @ 167# naked. CHECK your spring otherwise you'll pay your dealer or FOX another $35 to $45 for a new spring that could be used on diet plans!

Bottom Line:
Jumped on the bike and took it to my favorite trail and blew past obstacles that gave me a hard time in past. Did down hills that I only dared walk w/my rocket. Even, conquered the log that broke my arm. Like I said, inexperience more than bike did it, but, with this bike way more forgiving. Money well spent. Only thing, parts may be a problem to come by. Buy it, ride it, enjoy it. I'd have to give a value a 4 cuz I had to lay out extra for a new spring from the get go. But overall, let's kick it up a notch, BAM!!!!! 5 Flamin' Chilis.

Favorite Trail:   Pearl City

Purchased At:   Eki Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Rocket 88 Stage 4

Bike Setup:   Factory Babeeee!

Submitted by dennis a Downhiller from walnut creek, ca, usa

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2002

Strengths:    Bass boat coloring.... mmmm, sparkles....
Adjustable geometry, Thru-Axle in back, 3 chainring option(braze-on, and post), Suspension design, Almost all functional aspects

Weaknesses:    RockShox. The Boxxer on the front is developing a small leak through the bolt on the bottom of the leg, and I'm scared that I'll kill the RS pull shock on the back. Nonreplaceable der. hanger. Only shifts with a rollamajig. decals are ok, but they aren't clearcoated, and they arent stickers. they scrape off with your fingernails. NO touch-up paint available for the sparkles!

Bottom Line:
This bike it friggin awsome! I have the 8in conversion kit for it, and it feels really different from the standard 6 inch. The bb is a lot higher, but when I sit on it, I get 5 inches of positive travel, and the problem is fixed. The pull shock has an adjustible geometry thing on it, but you can't really use it too much, because you'd slam your cranks into every rock, or feel like youre riding a velocipede. The one problem with the suspension is that in different positions, the suspension reacts differently. When you lean back, you easily blow through the travel, but once the bike is pointed down, the design is far less linear, and is really progressive. There are some large stairs at northstar that demonstrate this perfectly. When I ride down them, the suspension really makes the stairs seem smooth, there is no chainslap, and you start going really fast. There are some shallow stairs at my house that make you feel like you're riding roller skates on a gravel driveway. Still, for most of the riding I do, the bike is perfect, and for jumping, you can't get any better. 5 burning horses

Favorite Trail:   northstar

Purchased At:   a racer

Similar Products Used:   Not similar, but my GT xcr 2000

Bike Setup:   Boxxer, Azonic Pedals, Handlebar, Stem, Thompson, ODI, RaceFace, Intense tires, 8 inch conversion kit, Doublewide hope hubs and brakes.

Submitted by Robby Bradbury a Cross Country Rider from Boca Raton,FL

Date Reviewed: November 29, 2001

Strengths:    kinda light fer a fullsuckspension,takes hits like my womanz ass.woops,can I say that? Climbs well too!

Weaknesses:    the wheels that cum with it,cmon! 15's.the schwinn arostar has bigger spokes!I can taco the rear wheel on a two foot drop.ok,ok , maybe a 3 footer.But still,if its a freeride bike with 5+ inches, we need bigger spokes.Also,ghost shifting was hard to dial out.Changed shifters and shifter cables to XTR. NOW MY BIKE ROX!I WANNA HAVE ITS BAYBEEZ
the seatpost and seat need to be beefier ass swell!I know like 4 peeps with this bike and everyone has broken or bent their seatpost.sup wif dat?

Bottom Line:
I WAS A HARDTAIL FANATIC,UNTILL I SAT ON THIS THING.IF YOUR NOT IN A BIG HURRY AND YOU WANNA KEEP YOUR TEETH LONGER THAN THOSE WHO DONT HAVE A FS BIKE, TRY A STRAIGHT 6 , IF YOU CAN FIND ONE. I WISH THEY WOULD HAVE CONSIDERED ALL THE PEOPLE
WHO LIKE TO RIDE HARD AND DROP OFF STUFF WHEN THEY PUT THE SEATPOST AND WHEELSET ON THIS BIKE.ALSO,IT MAY TAKE A WHILE TO DIAL THIS BADBOY IN , BUTT , WHENCE ITS THERE! GABYE!

Favorite Trail:   your car,when its in the way!

Purchased At:   Bike of America

Similar Products Used:   Is there one?

Bike Setup:   only thing not stock is shifters and seat.changed shifters from LX to XTR,cables too, and the seat kinda crumpled under me tight bum,thanx to YOHAN for the wording here!...::waves::

Submitted by ochhi a Downhiller from Ausralia

Date Reviewed: September 22, 2001

Strengths:    Rides nice

Weaknesses:    Snaps, many custom parts

Bottom Line:
I bought it 2nd hand, took it off a 6'5" drop that I've done many times on a hardtail, and it cracked in 3 places. This was 4 days after I got it. It rides bloody nice, but I can't ride a bike that's in three bits.

Favorite Trail:   NEthing down

Similar Products Used:   my norco team dh craps all over this

Bike Setup:   boxxer, 321's on ringle/hope hubs, hope brakes, lx cranks etc

Submitted by drew a Downhiller from syracuse, ny

Date Reviewed: July 15, 2001

Strengths:    super clean frame...i think it was made by yeti for schwinn
no bob
triple chainring
great geometry for all riding
completely neutral in all situations
light

Weaknesses:    linear travel...i can bottom it in a parking lot bouncing around
still weighs more than a trailbike frame
frame specific parts (rr hub, shock)
rear brake drags due to floating design sometimes

Bottom Line:
great bike...works wonderfully and does everything i've ever asked it. I ride mostly technical freeride/xc. It goes up well and goes down better... had to wait 2 months for ringle to repair my hub....crap, but now it's fine. I wouldn't sell this frame for anything, except maybe the new vpp. I've gone through a couple bikes and nothing is nearly as responsive and stable as this. I can do just about anything on the bike and have. The only thing that sucks is doing trials...but you can ride over anything in your way. one more thing, the bb is low and i keep hitting it on things...I still ride cross country on this bike, and i'm happy with it. one more thing, the bb is low and i keep hitting it on things...

Favorite Trail:   skytop

Purchased At:   used, marketplace

Similar Products Used:   norco vps, gt sts, diamondback,

Bike Setup:   z1 bam, hayes, xtr from, kooka cranks, sweet stuff

Submitted by Crazy Bit$# a Weekend Warrior from NY

Date Reviewed: April 5, 2001

Strengths:    -Mert Lawill rear suspension is best design EVER(no pedal bob,very plush,stiff as a mofo!)
-Can be pedaled uphill as well as down
-Light for DH
-Thru-axle rear

Weaknesses:    -Some brake jack(which can be fixed)
-Not cheap
-Rockshox pullshock(a Fox would be nicer)

Bottom Line:
This bike belongs to a friend of mine.We traded bikes for about a week.

I promptly brought this bike to one of the nastiest,most technical trails in my area(I live near Plattekill,so there is plenty of sick riding around,you just have to look).This bike handled EVERYTHING I could throw at it,and said "C'mon you wuss,is that all you've got?"It sucked up 6-footers,logs and babyheads like NOTHING,where my ass would hit dirt on my hardtails!!This bike is invincible!

Plus it pedaled REAL smooth!No noticeable pedal bob or suspension feedback.It handled almost every hill that I can climb with my hardtail--no,it wasn't as fast,but that's okay,because it makes up for it elsewhere.GOING DOWN FEELS LIKE BLASTING ON A MOTOCROSS BIKE--you can lean super-deep into any turn and come out alive!

Stiff,plush,FAST,and friggin' takes corners like it's on rails--you can't find a better freeride/downhill bike.I cried when I had to return it.5 CHILIES!!!

Similar Products Used:   Kona Stinky(good,but not as sweet as the 'Six)

Bike Setup:   '99 model,XT/LX drivetrain(2 chainrings with Girvin rock ring)Bonty Crowbar,Azonic Shorty stem,Stratos MX-6 fork,Specialized Evil Twin 2.35 tires,DK Iron Cross pedals,Hayes hydro 6-in discs,Sun Rhyno Lite rims--FREERIDE TO THE NINES!

Submitted by Matt Seely a Downhiller from Bellingham, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: February 7, 2000

Strengths:    -pedals better than any other DH bike
-plush suspension
-stiff as hell with through axle in rear
-floating disk brake link(no brake jack)
-reasonably light for DH
-World's best freeride bike(triple chainring option)
-World's best chainguide(specifically built for this frame, I've never ever dropped a chain
-kick ass paint job
-adjustable geometry
-chainguide can fit virtually any size chainring!(I run a 32 tooth chainring w/ a bashring for riding the North Shore in BC.)

Weaknesses:    -have to use RS pullshock
-travel is too linear so you have to setup stiff to not bottom out
-these bikes are all sold out! not many made!

Bottom Line:
The bike just plain kicks a$$ for racing and freeriding. If you ride smooth, this bike is the ultimate. If you thrash and bash down the trails going full speed into big rocks, this is not the bike for you. Very fast, nimble, versatile and plush bike! thats the bottom line. Good on all courses, but really excels in the super tight, steep, and insanely technical trails. I'm glad as hell I bought it.

Favorite Trail:   NorthShore