Schwinn Project Underground Frameset

4.89/5 (18 Reviews)

Schwinn Project Underground

Submitted by Jared a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: December 13, 2012

Strengths:    Light Weight Classic

Weaknesses:    Flawless

Bottom Line:
I picked this frame up in 2000 after dreaming about it and having it on layaway at the bike shop for a year and a half.(I was racing at the time but not good enough to get sponsors) I could not afford to build it up with new components at the time so I just moved everything over from my other frame. The ride was a night and day difference! It corners like it is on rails and climbs any thing you point it up. The geometry is the same as a 19" Homegrown so it is built for XC racing. With a 1st generation SID, and Rolph Dolomite wheel set, and Race Face 27 speed drive train It weighs in at 22lbs. With the right fork it downhills well for a hard tail. It makes me sad to see it go. But in an effort to become financially free even the Underground must go so it is for sale and I will entertain all offers. jaredcamp76@hotmail.com

Favorite Trail:   Bear Claw Poppie

Purchased At:   Bicycles Unlimited

Submitted by Peter A a Weekend Warrior from NYC, NY

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2011

Strengths:    Durable, beautiful, awesome climbing, great absorption of bumps, grabs attention.

Weaknesses:    Chipped paint, but use the glitter nail polish and it works wonders.

Bottom Line:
I bought the bike from a Schwinn dealer in the mid 90's, love at first sight. It was slightly used, but felt better than any of the new rides I tried at the time. Just plain sweet.

Fast forward to 2011... I had not ridden this bike in many years, it was mostly hung in my kitchen more as art than transportation. It is way retro with Avid cantis, and a mish-mash of parts. Yet, many years after my last ride, I rode- really well. I am in shape and all, but the bike just went.

So why change the bike? It started when i realized my Judy died before my first ride, so a Salsa rigid replaced it, and damned if this thing doesn't rock. I point and peddle, and it goes. up, down, whatever.

I found I was using 1 gear ratio, so I decided to go single. This bike is going to be soooo bad, blasting past all the fully suspended bikes, this thing will be a rocket ship. I hope for 22lbs, what with the Cross Max hoops, and excellent grip with my retro Panaracer treads.

If you see one for sale, get it. Give it some love, you will get it back 10x.

Favorite Trail:   Trimble Park, CT

Purchased At:   Glenn's in Greenwich

Similar Products Used:   Various early '90's bikes whose names, as the girlfriends of the same era, escape me.

Bike Setup:   Cross Max wheels, and the rest is -a-changing'

Submitted by Brendan Dee a Cross Country Rider from Providence, RI

Date Reviewed: December 15, 2005

Strengths:    The ride, enough said.

Weaknesses:    None, other than the paint/decals.

Bottom Line:
This is just for those of you looking for some more info on these frames. I've owned two and just retired my first one. I recently traded the second one I owned to Jeff Archer at First Flight Bikes in NC. He has a bike museum/collection full of really cool vintage bikes and MTBs. He did some digging and came up with some good info on the frame. Check out the link here: http://www.firstflightbikes.com/1997_Schwinn_PU.htm

If you've got one, enjoy it. They are awesome bikes with a great ride quality. If you don't have one and want one just don't pay too much for it. People have been trying to get way too much for them here and on Ebay.

Favorite Trail:   Big River, TOT, Arcadia, Foxboro

Purchased At:   Ebay and MTBR (first one)

Similar Products Used:   Homegrowns, S Works, Jamis Komodo, etc..

Submitted by Bike Mike a Weekend Warrior from Denver, CO USA

Date Reviewed: October 7, 2004

Strengths:    Most responsive, sheer joy for an old man

Weaknesses:    Lateral sway in rear is a bit scary at times, I also weigh 190. Thanks for the paint touch-up tips. Keep it away from metal. Also, I've heard that in a catastrophic failure, should the frame material ever puncture your body, go get an operation to remove the toxic threads or they'll stop your heart.

Bottom Line:
I don't race or get out of the city much, but this is still the best daily transport I've ever used. Unstoppable in all weather.

Favorite Trail:   Green Mountain,

Purchased At:   from Dexter T as he'd built it

Similar Products Used:   Stump, Comp.

Bike Setup:   Rock Shox, Bontrager Crowbar, Kore Elite, Race Face Forged, Mavic X517s with XTR hubs, Continental Double Fighters, Thomson post, Velo seat, full XTR. Flat pedals.

Submitted by Brendan Dee a Cross Country Rider from Providence, RI

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2004

Strengths:    This is an update.

Bottom Line:
This thing is still kicking ass in it's latest incarnation. I'm running a 32X18 and love it. The ride quality is still amazing. I'm kind of surprised it hasn't cracked yet(disclosure - I'm 6'0 and around 155 (170 or so with gear) I don't drop it or anything but the trails in this neck of the woods are very technical and rocky, so even XC riding takes it's toll over time. I've owned it for just over 3 years, raced it a handful of times and currently ride it at least once a week. Surprisingly I could not manage to sell it last year - I was asking $300 for the frame. I can honestly say I'm glad it didn't sell. I've seen some ridiculous asking prices here and on Ebay. If you can find one at a reasonable price pick it up, you won't be dissapointed.

Favorite Trail:   Foxboro

Purchased At:   MTBR

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn aluminum Project Underground

Bike Setup:   Single Speed with a Surly fork, Hellbent bar, Bonti stem, Stinger saddle and old White Industry cranks, 959 pedals, XT 217 rear wheel, Crossland front, Avid levers and Deore brakes and an old XTR derailluer as a tensioner.

Submitted by Graham Curkendall a Weekend Warrior from Bothell, WA

Date Reviewed: December 5, 2003

Strengths:    Great ride, frame looks cool, sweet paint job.

Weaknesses:    I only have one of them.

Bottom Line:
The Schwinn Project Underground is far and away the best frame, suspended or rigid, that I have ever ridden. I sold my Litespeed and S-Works hardtails because they were so poor in comparison. It soaks up vibration, yet it is extremely quick. It's fairly light weight, but it takes plenty of abuse. Best of all, it is made of carbon fiber reinforced thermoplastic and titanium so it will never fatigue, wear out, or corrode.

Regarding the paint issue:
The paint does chip sometimes, but I was told about and have tried a touch-up paint that matches the bass boat blue perfectly. #074 "Blue Glitter" nail enamel made by Sinful Colors (owned by Mirage Cosmetics) is a perfect match. It is quite durable and seems to adhere to the frame as well as or better than the original paint. It does take a little practice to get enough glitter on the brush though, so I'd suggest practicing on something else before you touch up the frame. It is available online at sinfulcolors.com, but the minimum order is 4 bottles. If anyone is interested, I have two extra bottles I can sell; just send me an email.

Favorite Trail:   Devils Gultch

Purchased At:   mtbr classifieds

Similar Products Used:   Ti, Steel, Aluminum, Metal Matrix frames

Bike Setup:   Spinergy Spox, Look Fournales fork, Easton CT2 post, Klein Carbon bar. Avid mag brakes, and XTR and Kooka drivetrain and controls.

Submitted by chris Barber a Cross Country Rider from Denver

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2002

Strengths:    The best bike i will ever own

Bottom Line:
I broke the frame,,,,dropouts where the titanium meets the carbon......the sadest day of my biking career. I had a race the next day and had to buy the next BEST, a superlight but no where near the PU. A VERY SAD DAY. NOw as far as Schwinn goes.......1. Run it like a business 2. Bankruptcy happens when you apeal to low end users (no Profit) 3. GT screwed you. 4. Pacific well good luck. 5. BUILD ANOTHER PU AND I WILL BUY 5. iF YOU HAVE ONE KEEP IT IF YOU WANT TO SELL IT NAME THE PRICE IF YOU BREAK IT THEN I WILL HAVE A MEMORIAL EVERY YEAR TIME TO BE ANNOUNCED.

Favorite Trail:   Fruita chutes

Purchased At:   st george attic

Bike Setup:   Just bought a superlight santa,,,completerace face chris king duke race etc etc etc only the best

Submitted by Charles Talbot a Weekend Warrior from Lexington

Date Reviewed: September 6, 2002

Strengths:    Lightweight, strong.

Weaknesses:    Unkown

Bottom Line:
The Project Underground was a frameset made specifically for bikeshop employees. The paint is know to chip but a good clearcoat will fix any potiential chip issues

Similar Products Used:   I own a 1996 HomeGrown USA. Sweet bike, light and fast. Frame was one of the first made by Yeti for Schwinn.

Bike Setup:   I still have the brandnew framset sitting in my garage, never built yet.

Submitted by BRENDAN DEE a Cross Country Rider from PROVIDENCE RI

Date Reviewed: May 18, 2001

Strengths:    WEIGHT, GEOMETRY, PAINT JOB, AND THE RIDE.

Weaknesses:    NONE REALLY EXCEPT THE RARITY AND I HAVE NO CLUE ABOUT A WARRANTY ON ONE OF THESE.

Bottom Line:
THE BOTTOM LINE IS THIS BIKE IS THE HEAT. IT HAS MORE THAN MADE UP FOR MY LACK OF TRAINING TO HELP ME NAB MY FIRST TOP TEN SPORT SPOT OF THE YEAR AND I HAVEN'T RACED IN A YEAR. I ALSO DON'T RIDE ANYWHERE NEAR AS MUCH AS I USED TO (LIKE 8 HOURS A WEEK MAYBE IF I'M LUCKY). WHEN I LINED UP FOR THE FIRST OF WHAT WILL BE MANY RACES I THOUGHT I WOULD GET WORKED, BUT THIS BIKE SERIOUSLY HELPED OUT. I MOSTLY RIDE MY ALUMINUM HTAIL AND THE PU IS A COMPLETELY DIFFERENT RIDE. IT REALLY SOAKS UP SMALL HITS AND CLIMBS LIKE A DREAM. I HAVEN'T NOTICED ANY REAL FLEX BUT I'M PRETTY LIGHT AT 150LBS. BASICALLY I LOVE THIS BIKE, AND BECAUSE I CAN RIDE THE AL HOMEGROWN TO TRAIN AND THEN RACE THIS BIKE IT IS GREAT. THE PU HAS ALL THE HANDLING TRAITS OF THE HOMEGROWN WITH SOME SERIOUS ADVANTAGES. IF YOU CAN FIND ONE BUY IT, I WAS EXTREMELY LUCKY TO GET MINE THE WHOLE BIKE(BUILT DIFFERENTLY) WAS ONLY $600 AND IN GREAT SHAPE. ANYWAY OBVIOUSLY I LIKE THE BIKE ALOT THX FOR READING THIS BYE.

Favorite Trail:   ARCADIA, FOXBORO, VIETNAM, BIG RIVER

Purchased At:   MTBR

Similar Products Used:   I OWN AND RIDE 98 HOMEGROWN (ORANGE), REDLINE CROSS BIKE, AND AN OLD GRATEFUL DEAD EDITION HOOKOOEEKOO. I USED TO RIDE AN M2 SWORKS UNTIL IT DIED.

Bike Setup:   MARS C FORK, WHITE INDUSTRY FORGED CRANKS, ESP NINE SPEED DRIVETRAIN, HELLBENT LOW RISE, RINGLE ZOOKA STEM, XTR BRAKES AND LEVERS AND AN OLD CROSSLAND FRONT WHEEL AND XTR/BONTRAGER REAR. TITECT POST AND OLD SWORKS SEAT.

Submitted by Fred Derf a Weekend Warrior from Boulder , CO

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2001

Strengths:    Cool paint job, intigrated bottle opener,

Weaknesses:    Cool paint job, intigrated bottle opener,

Bottom Line:
I ride this bike hard and I fall a lot! But thats because I'm not very good, this bike is! I've bent, broken, or dented 4 frames, this bike hardly has a scratch. People tell me all the time that I should be riding a huffy or something. I'll just keep on riding this and falling... a lot. And you should too!

Favorite Trail:   Roly Poly,

Bike Setup:   All XTR, cross max wheels, Mars Z1Xfly

Submitted by Chris Barber a Racer from Denver,Co.

Date Reviewed: May 10, 2001

Strengths:    light,great geometry, climbs like a chairlift,just rocks. BASS BOAT BLUE, The PU delivers! Whats up Schwinn? keep it commin

Weaknesses:    RARE, .....MY PAINT CHIPPED? Stick to the road, you'll be OK, how can you downgrade a ride due to the fact the paint chips?

Bottom Line:
This is the bike, find one pick it up if you have the cash, this bike flows, it decends like a madman and climbs effortlessly, The PU has style and talent. 200 made so look hard its worth the wait and the $.PS You can send this bike back to schwinn to get repainted if you have to.

Favorite Trail:   Chutes and ladders Fruita

Purchased At:   Found in an attic in St george

Bike Setup:   XTR,MARZ

Submitted by Schwinn140 a Cross Country Rider from Doylestown, Pa, USA

Date Reviewed: January 28, 2001

Strengths:    Sweet light frame with a killer paint job to boot. One ride on this thing will forever keep you in the Schwinn mindset. Hats off to Ignaz!

Weaknesses:    Costly and super tough to find. If you luck out to find one of these....grab it. You won't be let down.

Bottom Line:
Simply the nicest bike around and can't beat the frame quality ride or paint job.

Viva la Schwinn!

Similar Products Used:   Trek 9.9...Schwinn is must nicer of a hard.

Bike Setup:   Manitou-XTR-White Industries-Spinergy-Club Roost-Fizik

Submitted by Greg Powers a Cross Country Rider from Denver, Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 1, 2000

Strengths:    Smooth smooth ride on rough trails. Climbs like a mountain goat even for us slow guys. Only 200 made

Weaknesses:    Paint falls off with big rock hits. One size only 19in c-t, only 200 made.

Bottom Line:
If you have the chance to purchase one of these bikes (the carbon model) make sure it fits you, then buy it. I will never sell mine since it is so rare, 30 years from now, Schwinn collectors will look at you funny when you say you have a Carbon Fiber/Fiberglass/Titanium/Aluminum MTB built in 1997. Then they will want to buy it.
I actually decend faster on this hardtail than on my full suspension.

Favorite Trail:   A bad day on the trail is still better than a good day at work

Similar Products Used:   Tried the Trek 9.9Pro at Interbike. They ride almost exactly the same.

Bike Setup:   XTR, SID

Submitted by Frank a Cross Country Rider from Az

Date Reviewed: April 27, 2000

Strengths:    light,infinite life span,nice geom.

Weaknesses:    paint chips bike frame has huge chunk taken out

Bottom Line:
Bike performed well but if you plan on ridding tough rocky trails. (my frame chunked big time)if you can get one and are planning on racing go ahead

Favorite Trail:   South mtn