Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team Frameset

4.97/5 (36 Reviews)

Schwinn Homegrown Factory Team

Submitted by graham

Date Reviewed: June 11, 2012

Strengths:    strong on drops and light and cool and rock shox

Weaknesses:    hard to find

Bottom Line:
great bike i love mine

Submitted by Jason a Racer from Chicago, IL

Date Reviewed: December 22, 2004

Strengths:    Very light, quick steering

Weaknesses:    Aluminum frame sends every bump right to my spine

Bottom Line:
Fast and light; this thing climbs and accelerates great. The steering is very quick; a bit squirrely on rough downhills. It's a rough ride as every single bump goes right through that frame into my back, but I'm learning to find smooth lines. It's a great race bike but I wouldn't recommend it for casual trail riding or endurance racing (go with steel or carbon, or full suspension).

Purchased At:   Bens Cycles, Milwaukee, WI

Similar Products Used:   Diamond Back Ascent; Specialized Stumpjumper FSR (softail

Bike Setup:   SID World Cup fork w/lockout, XTR BB and Cranks, XTR Front Deralleur, SRAM X.0 Rear Derailleur and Grip Shifters, Easton MG 60 Stem, Easton EC70 flat bars, AVID SL Ti brake lever and Ti brakes, Thompson seatpost, Selle Italia Flight Gel saddle, XT Hubs w/Mavic 717 Rims

Submitted by fred shvetz a Cross Country Rider from scarsdale, ny

Date Reviewed: August 27, 2004

Strengths:    Light, light, light. I would recommend it for anyone who wants a light bike for xc riding. It's a hardtail and I don't do big drops so I couldn't comment on it's durability as a downhiller.

Weaknesses:    No longer available except used on ebay. Standard replacement components are readily available. The headset and dropout hanger can also be located on the internet.

Bottom Line:
Terrific bike, I bought another from Supergo for $1,000 when Pacific bought Schwinn. I use both, one as a backup when one needs fixing. Also bought another Homegrown frame off ebay just in case. I weight 200 lbs and never had a problem with it - wish they would start making them again so I could buy one for my daughter and one for my son - Schwinn seems to have a similar frame for the 2004 Moab HT White, but they don't release geometry specs or weights of their frames. I would love to see someone rate it and report on the specs/weights as it could be a potential alternative. A good buy from ebay would be worth it, but make sure you get the 2001 or later model frame that weighs under 3 pounds.

Favorite Trail:   can't tell

Purchased At:   Danny's Bike shop

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000, Trek singletrack - their geometry is different so it is hard to compare the rides, but the Homegrown is much lighter and more responsive accordingly.

Bike Setup:   New Sid Team fork, other components are original or replaced with same as original.

Submitted by Dan Schrad a Cross Country Rider from Littleton, CO USA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2004

Strengths:    Light, stiff, fast, incredibly well made. Stands up to alot of abuse - year after year.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
I bought this bike new in 1997, and have ridden the hell out of it for the past 6 years. I had no idea how good of a bike it was when I bought it - the frame was built by Yeti for a few years when Schwinn was passed from one company to another. The welds are flawless, the machined dropouts are beautiful, and the weight is incredible. Recently, I've considered buying a FS bike, and even when I do, I'll make sure to give this beauty proper respect for as long as I can pedal.

If you can find a frame (I've seen a few on ebay) pick it up. This is a classic hardtail. It just doesn't get much better. Now quit reading and get out and ride whatever you've got...

Favorite Trail:   CO Front Range Trails

Similar Products Used:   Test rode a few treks, specialized, fishers at the time.

Bike Setup:   all XT, Mavic 517s, Truvativ Stylo cranks, FireXC tires, new RS Psylo up front.

Submitted by Justin A a Cross Country Rider from Alexandria, LA, USA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2003

Strengths:    Light and Strong....I weigh 250lbs and it is still holding.

Weaknesses:    Stock wheels...The Tioga rims were wayyyyyy two flimsy for a big rider like me.

Bottom Line:
Great Bike!!!!! I wish that I would have bought a replacement frame when this one gives up the ghost. Even Clydesdales can ride it! If you have a chance get one.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Bike Setup:   All XTR, with Mavic 517's, Easton Monkeylite SL, and Time pedals.

Submitted by chris a Cross Country Rider from kemptville ontario canada

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2003

Strengths:    very light, nice design, stiff, strong

Weaknesses:    if your wanting sum wide tires 3'0 its not happening

Bottom Line:
This frame is the best for urban riding or cross country. this frame is sick. its crazy light and i'll never brake it. been riding since 1998 and its perfect. my painjob looks like crap but thats what u get after 5 years. when new the paintjob is amazing. this bike is soo crazily sick. buy it, save up, don't be cheap, soo crazy light, urban riding is sooo easy, just a little long frame but its easy to adjust to

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere

Purchased At:   junky bike shop

Similar Products Used:   nothing compares to it

Bike Setup:   z3 light, xtr brakes, xtr derailer, avid brakes, axion post, fsa konix headset, profil handar barsa, rino abt ligth rims

Submitted by Andrew a Cross Country Rider from Astoria, NY

Date Reviewed: July 4, 2003

Strengths:    Extremely light, classic design, the welds are perfect

Weaknesses:    top-tube cable placement, chain-stay disc brake mount (on this model)

Bottom Line:
got this bike for my girlfriend, ao it's a size 15" (could be even smaller) probably more than she needs but i am a freak and i can't have her riding around on garbage.

this bike makes me wish i was smaller so i could use it for urban assault. the brakes are powerful, the frame is super light and stiff and the amp fork is perfect for the size of the bike and her weight. the shimano XT/XTR stuff is always perfect, and the orange frame just looks awesome. the bike climbs extremely well and has made my girl into a very competent rider. if you are lucky enough to find one (hint hint...EBAY) i definitely suggest picking one up.

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   too many to list

Bike Setup:   XTR levers/shifters, XT front/rear derailleurs, XT cranks, mavic/XT wheels, titec stem/hi-rise bars, thomson seatpost, serfas seat, avid v-brakes, AMP short travel fork, azonic platform pedals

Submitted by Jose Infanzon from San Juan, PR

Date Reviewed: May 8, 2003

Strengths:    Incredibly Light Frame,responsive, definitely worth racing on!!

Weaknesses:    A bit twitchy on the descents... nothing to worry too much about. ICBM had to be replaced...

Bottom Line:
This is a follow up for a Posting I made almost 2 years ago. Still using the same 2001 Frame bought at Supergo, and still in love with it. Only mishap was a bent derrailleur hanger while washing the bike (how embarrasing)got it straightened out by a local bike shop and still is as good as new, although I bought a replacement just in case. The ICBM needed replacing a while back but I easily found a new one through Supergo. Climbs agresively, and descends fast,but due to its responsiveness you have to keep all your senses on it. I'm a 160 pounds rider and have had no problems at all with the frame while roughing it down the trail. With my setup the bike only weighs 22.5 pounds, a better set up would take it down to 20 something easily, although I wouldn't bother with forking over so much cash for 2 1/2 pounds!!! Sticker problems we've all experienced with the frame are just that, get over it!!! Anonized gold paint is a bit tacky but looks as good as new nonetheless. Haven't had much experience with other frames, but I'm sure this is Hardtail heaven.

Favorite Trail:   any one I can get to ride !!

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn MESA GSX

Bike Setup:   XT & XTR drivetrain, Avid TI brakes, Duke XC 80mm, Shimano Pedals, Thompson Seat Tube and Stem, Mavic 517 and XT wheels, Python Airlight tires

Submitted by matt a Racer from Austin

Date Reviewed: November 2, 2002

Strengths:    does everything a XC racing hardtail should, and then some

Weaknesses:    headset bearings are crap - but you can get higher quality replacements that last MUCH longer if you do a little shopping around at good bearing supply houses.

Bottom Line:
the bottom line... '00-01 Homegrown Factory - in my opinion, probably the best cross-country racing hardtail EVER made. Nothing I have ridden even comes close to balancing stiffness, handling, and comfort in a frame that weighs an honest 3 lbs the way schwinn has (did). This bike really is the best of all worlds: razor sharp handling, awesome climbing ability, feather light weight, and a certain ride quality that you just don't get from many (if any) other aluminum frames. The black ano finish gives it that sweet stealth look, and after two years of hard riding and racing it has zero scratches, except to the stickers.

unfortunately, all good things must come to an end, and mine did - cracked frame, and no replacement available, warranty or otherwise. I loved that bike - I feel like my dog died.

Submitted by T. Crawford a Cross Country Rider from Texas

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2002

Strengths:    Superlight! Stable and agile frame that performs awesome on any terrain. This bikes strengths have brought my own strengths, physically.

Weaknesses:    Maybe the cables that run along the top tube.... ???

Bottom Line:
I honestly believe this is the best bike that has ever been produced. My riding has not been the same since I purchased this bike. I weigh 180, but feel as though my weight does not affect the performance at all. It climbs like a beast, it corners extremely well, and remains stable and controllable on downhills. I hope this bike will last forever since they are getting hard to come across. I have purchased an extra frame just in case the one I have doesn't make it. Try to find one, if you can!

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher Paragon
Giant XTC

Bike Setup:   An all XT setup, except for rear derailler is XTR. Wheels are Mavic 221's with Deore Hubs, which have stood up well for the abuse they have taken. XT shifters and V-Brakes have worked like a dream. Titec alum. seatpost and stem. Ritchey Zed Race tires. SID XC fork.

Submitted by Mark-Daniel Houghton a Racer from Asheville, NC, bouncombe

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    Great Handling (at low moderate speeds)= climes like a mountain goat= LITE= STIFF= A great preformance MACHINE= ICBM head set= supurb acceleration

Weaknesses:    Stupid "ram air" seat stays...more like "Ram MUD" Crummy stickers, weak paint, bad cable placement, front wheel wobble at high speeds

Bottom Line:
This IS my raceing dream Bike come true...and every other riders also.

Favorite Trail:   Side Hill

Purchased At:   Hearn's Cycling & Fitness

Similar Products Used:   Gunner Rockhound, litespeed

Bike Setup:   XTR all around, Easton monkylite handlebar, cane creek thudbuster, factory seat, XT cranks & BB XTR hubs on Mavic 221

Submitted by Nick a Cross Country Rider from Austin, TX USA

Date Reviewed: June 18, 2002

Strengths:    Very light and strong racing bike!! You can count on this bike to be around for a long time.

Weaknesses:    Too Light???

Bottom Line:
Super bike!! Very light and strong!!! I'm a 210-pound, and probably shouldn't be riding a Homegrown, however, the bike is durable enough for even me. I love it!!! If you are looking for a very nice, high-grade race bike, this is for you. For beginners, I would start with something a little less quality, simply because you don't need something like this to learn how to ride. You don't need to spend the money until you become hardcore, then you'll really appreciate a bike such as this one.

Purchased At:   SuperGo

Similar Products Used:   GT frame.

Bike Setup:   XTR and XT

Submitted by Ray a Cross Country Rider from Madison, WI

Date Reviewed: April 9, 2002

Strengths:    light, looks tough, black anodized finish

Weaknesses:    yeah right

Bottom Line:
This frame is the awsome it has allowed me to do things I never thought I could. When I ride through campus on my Homegrown you wouldn't believe how fast the heads turn. So if you're a XC racer or just want a great frame get one while you still can.

Favorite Trail:   The Gully

Similar Products Used:   Mesa GSX

Bike Setup:   LX/XT derailleurs, Deore brakes, crank, shifters/brake levers, Titec stem and handle bars, Judy Race fork and Mavic 221's

Submitted by Chad Lazaruk a Racer from Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2002

Strengths:    Bombproof! Indestructible, light, responsive and gorgeous to look at.

Weaknesses:    1999 model had no disk mounts. High speed handling is twitchy.

Bottom Line:
I have the 1999 factory frame - from when Yeti made them and they were still painted. I am second owner and after 3 years of racing, the frame is still in perfect condition. Handles like it's an extention of your body and climbs like you've got wings. AWSOME! If you're a racer, then this is the frame for you. If you're not, then this frame will help you become one.

Purchased At:   Alter Ego Sports

Similar Products Used:   Nothing I've ever tried is even in the same category.

Bike Setup:   Full XTR. Mavic CrossLink wheels, Manitou Mars Carbon fork, Rock Shox seat post, Thomson Elite stem, Easton Carbon bars.

Submitted by Jose Infanzon from San Juan, PR

Date Reviewed: December 3, 2001

Strengths:    Light as a feather, knife-like responses, climbs like a dream, awesome gold paint, beautiful finish.

Weaknesses:    You have to put all your sense on the trail while going downhill since shell turn at the merest thought, stickers seem a little cheap. Don't know what will happen to Schwinn warranty,I hope Pacific honors it.

Bottom Line:
Bought the bike after reading all reviews and watching a report about the Homegrown Factory on OLN. Couldn't pass up on the Supergo bargain. Built it from the ground up in about two months, carefully selecting the parts. After riding it for the first time, knew I had a riding machine! It draws looks from everyone I meet. Since my previous bike had a less aggresive stance, it took me a while to get used to such a fast response, not to mention the rapid rise rear derailleur. This is it, no more thinking about upgrading, don't see a need to. The frame is certainly a work of art and if it holds up to punisment as well as my previous bike, I'm in for a hell of a ride. Seems light but holds up well to my weight (175 pounds). I'ts a pity schwinn went bankrupt, hope Pacific keeps the legacy going. I have to give it Five Flamming Chihuahuas!!!

Favorite Trail:   Cambalache