Santa Cruz Superlight Frameset

4.82/5 (68 Reviews)

Santa Cruz Superlight

Submitted by Benedict Nagy a Racer from Columbia, MO, USA

Date Reviewed: April 26, 2011

Strengths:    Ride, Stiffness, Fairly lightweight, Long top effective top
tube, Stable geometry

Weaknesses:    Low bottom bracket, Easily marred finish, not THAT light
(plan on dropping some serious dough on upgrades to get an
XL under 27 lbs), ummhhh not much else

Bottom Line:
I've owned 4 Cannondale aluminum hardtail mountain bikes over
the last 20 years. I had about 5000 miles on my last one
(2004 furio frameset custom built) when I was preparing to
throw a bunch of new parts on it. Wouldn't you know that the
chainstay was cracked! Already had purchased new drivetrain,
etc. Long story short, I decided to throw the new parts on
a dual suspension bike. I was limited to the brands available
at Walt's (since they are the bomb, far and away the best
bike shop on the planet). None of their big brands, like
Trek, Fisher, GT, etc. really sell JUST frames. So, Santa
Cruz or Felt. Though they offered me a great deal on an 07
Felt Virtue, I decided to go with the simpler single pivot
design of the superlight.

Bottom Line, A stable climber, descender, all around great
Cross Country race bike (Oh yeah, just finished 1st in
class at the 2011 Bone Bender 3/6 hour race in Lawrence,
Kansas. My class was Solo Clydesdale 3 hr) That was a very
technical course where I passed dozens of people as they walked up climbs. As long as you mind the low bottom
bracket, this is a great marathon race bike.

Favorite Trail:   Rockbridge State Park

Ergo leichtbau carbon grips/barends, RockShox Tora trail
fork, Magura louise fr brakes, Selle Italia gel flow saddle

Submitted by Vincent Tan a Racer from BRUNEI

Date Reviewed: August 2, 2003

Strengths:    Light -Plush -Sweet Ride.

Weaknesses:    Not Yet.

Bottom Line:
This is my 2nd review. After riding it for 1.5 year, no maintenance done- except replacement of chain & tyre (fr Mosquito to Python). It's very reliable!

Thanks for all those contributed your views

Bike Setup:   Metal grey frame with Fox Air RC:- SID SL, Full XTR with RapidRise RD/46th Crank, CrossMax/Phython tubeless, ChrisKing headset, Thomson post & stem, Easton Monkeylite Bar/Yeti grip, Time ATAC Titan Carbon padel, SI Flite 165g saddle. Weight ~ 11.1kg.

Submitted by Michael Warren a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO USA

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2003

Strengths:    Light, FAST, Strong, great anodizing, simple maintenance, looks killer, rides even better

Weaknesses:    none yet and I do NOT expect any...ever

Bottom Line:
Best bike I have ever been on hands down!! I liked my jekyll (even better than the tsali) but it felt like a sherman tank compared to this svelt machine and I had it down to 25 lbs which is incredible for a jekyll. The Superlight is crazy fast accellerating, yet highly stable on the tightest of turns at speed. So sweet looking it gives me wood. I do have a top of the line component setup, but I can tell its the frame that does the work. Mine is built up at about 23 lbs with pedals and feels even lighter. When climbing I get no pedal feedback (cause I stroke like a steam engine :-)..)and it is scary fast on the descents. I buy and sell bikes like cigarettes on the black market, but I am keeping this one until it disinegrates to dust. $2200 is no chump change but it is not the most I have ever dropped on a bike and the superlight is worth very cent and more. I recommend this bike to anyone who wants to take their riding to the next level and get away from mass produced lines. This bike makes you WANT to ride!... Anyone who complains about this bike simply does not have it set up right, period. Santa Cruz ROCKS!!

Favorite Trail:   Walker Ranch, White Ranch

Purchased At:   everywhere

Similar Products Used:   gt lts 1, gt I-drive, moots ybb, litespeed tsali, kona stinky deluxe, c'dale f2000, c'dale jekyll,

Bike Setup:   cane creek aeroheat wheels (da bomb), xtr shifters & deraillers ,raceface next lp's, avid mag's, cane creek ad-10, thomsom stem & seatpost, easton monkeylite, sid sl dual air, egg beaters, joytech ti skewers, srp ti crank bolts, shutchison pythons, etc...

Submitted by Carl a Cross Country Rider from Fresno, CA

Date Reviewed: February 24, 2003

Strengths:    Very simple design, minimal bob in small chain ring, it is negligible. It climbs like a hard tail, even without the lockout on the shock. I bought the anodized finish and if you keep the frame clean, it looks as good as the day you bought it. And that is after trying to avoid horse and cow crap in the spring here in the foothills of the Sierras.

Weaknesses:    Rear triangle developed a small hairline crack near the pivot point. I am an average technical rider, apx 195 pounds and noticed the crack when I attempted to replace the bushings. Kudos to the guys at Santa Cruz. I sent the rear triangle in and they replaced it with a new one, a better design (a box style near the pivot point rather than the old round type). It seems a lot stiffer, I have to ride it yet.

Bottom Line:
I love this bike!!! Plain and simple. It rides like a dream, soaks up small bumps well, awesome on descents, and light and nimble enough to climb what my cardio can managed. It is easy to maintain. I am fairly meticulous in keeping it free of dirt--a clean bike runs better. It you are looking for a great ride and simplicity, this is the bike. I will have to see how the technology pans out, with the Blur and the NRS from Giant, though this bike is more than adequate for cross country riding. Again, kudos to Santa Cruz -- their customer service is very good.

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   This is my first full-suspension bike. I rode my buddy's Heckler and went with the Superlight. Glad I made that choice.

Bike Setup:   Chris King hubs on 317s, XT drivetrain with Sram Attack shifters. Marzocchi 100m X-Fly (great product as well) and a Fox Float RC (Have needed to replace the seals twice in 2 years).

Submitted by BOB a Cross Country Rider from Marysville CA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2002

Strengths:    RIDE QUAILITY. SImple to maintain.

Weaknesses:    WITH OVER TWO YEARS I THOUGHT I NOTICED THE REAR SWING ARM GETTING MORE AND MORE FLEX.

Bottom Line:
I CALLED SANTA CRUZ AND ORDERED A NEW HARDWARE KIT FOR MY BIKE. AFTER I INSTALLED THE NEW BEARINGS AND SWINGARM PIVOT BOLT I REALLY NOTICED THE FLEX. I TOOK IT A PART AND DISCOVERED THE HOLE IN THE FRAME THAT THE PIVOT BOLT GOES TROUGH IS VERY WORN. I INSTALLED THE OLD STYLE PIVOT BOLT WHICH IS A ALUMINAM BOLT. IT COULD BE TIGHTNED MORE THAN THE NEW STYLE PIVOT BOLT. IT TAKES THE FLEX OUT SO YOU CANT FLEX IT BY HAND . BUT YOU CAN FEEL THE FLEX WHEN YOU RIDE.I REALLY LIKE MY SUPERLIGHT AND PLANNED TO RIDE IT FOR A LONG TIME. I THOUGHT THAT THE INCREASE FLEX I WAS FEELING WAS DUE TO THE FACT I AM A MUCH MORE AGGRESIVE RIDER NOW. I CALLED SANTA CRUZ AND THEY ASKED IF I TRIED A BIKE SHOP OR I COULD SEND IT IN. I AM GOING TO TAKE IT TO A PLACE THAT SELLS SANTA CRUZ BICYCLES. I HOPE THEY WARRANTY THE FRAME. I CANNOT RIDE THE BIKE THE WAY IT IS. THE BIKE IS LESS THAN 3 YEARS OLD AND WHEN I BOUGHT IT I REGISTERED IT WITH SANTA CRUZ . THE INFOMATION I GOT WITH THE BIKE SAID THEY WOULD WARRANTY FOR UP TO 3 YRS.

Favorite Trail:   Upper Bidwell

Purchased At:   CAMBRIA

Bike Setup:   SEE REVIEW BELOW

Submitted by BOB a Cross Country Rider from Marysville CA

Date Reviewed: September 11, 2002

Strengths:    Simple to maintain. The ride is excellent up and downhill.

Weaknesses:    Is a little flexy.

Bottom Line:
This bike is awesome and I still thinks it rocks after two years. I posted a review earlier this year at about the 18 month mark and this is a follow up.I praised the bike then and I still think it rocks. I ride alot. I am not a racer or a freerider but I love technical trail riding and this bike does it well. This was my only bike up to a couple of months ago and I have several thosand miles on it. I had the shock rebuilt twice and the bushings have some wear and I will be sending it in again(Fox Float R) for another rebuild(I own a spare shock). Full suspension bikes are more maintenance. Sealed bearings will need grease eventualy I do not care what anyone says. It takes me all of an hour to repack the swing arm bearings. I am a aircraft mechanic and I enjoy fixing my bikes and I still will avoid complicated stuff (horst link).Compared to other high end frame makers for the money you cannot beat Santacruz. I plan on riding my superlight for another year and I will probaly buy a Heckler next fall. If you want a awesome trail bike that you can build light yet tough buy a superlight. Mine weighs in at about 27 lbs. and it is perfect for me up and downhill.

Favorite Trail:   South Yuba

Purchased At:   Cambria

Similar Products Used:   98 Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   XT drive train w/ Race face cranks,Thomson post & stem,Avid brakes,517 rims Xtr hubs Psylo R.

Submitted by John Jans a Cross Country Rider from Plainsboro, NJ

Date Reviewed: July 30, 2002

Strengths:    Reasonably light weight, simple design.

Weaknesses:    Replaceable derailleur hanger would be nice. Other than that, no complaints

Bottom Line:
A fantastic handling full suspension bike, not fully active but a good compromise considering the 4" of rear travel. Simple to maintain and fun to ride. Looks great too - silver anodized finish with laser-etched graphics.

Favorite Trail:   Wawayanda

Purchased At:   Speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   AMP Research B-4 full suspension, Cannondale CAAD2 hardtail, Specialized Stumpjumper M2FS hardtail

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi Xfly100 fork, Fox Float RC shock, full XT, Avid disk brakes, Thompson post, Race Face Turbine LP cranks & SYStem, Chris King headset, Salsa 26" flat h'bar

Submitted by Kevin a Cross Country Rider from Idaho

Date Reviewed: July 2, 2002

Strengths:    The Superlight simply puts you in the mood to ride. It charges up hills and floats back down. The quick but predictable handling instills confidence. The single pivot design is reliable and maintainance free.

Weaknesses:    Sometimes instills too much confidence - keep that helmet handy. I suppose it bobs a little but I never notice it unless I actually look at the rear shock. I've heard concerns over the lack of a replaceable rear dropout but I've never heard of anyone breaking one.

Bottom Line:
An excellent choice for cross country and rough trails and for people who would rather ride their bike than work on it.

Favorite Trail:   Loon Lake

Purchased At:   speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   demo'd several full suspension - this one rose to the top.

Bike Setup:   Large frame fits me at 5'10".

Submitted by Gustavo Kuster a Cross Country Rider from Miami, FL

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2002

Strengths:    This is bike is smooth. South Florida has alot of roots and this bike floats right over them. On my first ride I had a big smile on my face for an hour. Very little bob when standing and climbing. THE BEST BIKE I HAVE BEEN ON. EXCELLENT FOR XC.

Weaknesses:    Flex a bit

Bottom Line:
Excelent

Favorite Trail:   Oleta River Park

Purchased At:   Bell Cycle's

Similar Products Used:   GT i-Drive Team.

Bike Setup:   XTR, MAVIC Crossmax, Thomsom bar & seat post

Submitted by Martin a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    Simple, great build quality, works amazingly well, very responsive.

Weaknesses:    None, except perhaps a minor one in that routing disk brake lines is a bit of a pain.

Bottom Line:
Recommended for anyone looking for an all around XC bike. Build quality on the frame is excellent, great looking welds, quality finish. The single pivot design is deceptively simple but works! These is almost no bob when seated, the suspension soaks up both small and large stuff equally well. Once set up correctly it is a pleasure to ride and is extremely responsive. I differed from Santa Cruz's recommended frame size, I am 5' 7" and rode both a medium and a small frame, preferring the handeling of the small, also ended up using a 120mm stem and straight bars. This combo is a fair bit smaller than they recommend but since I have heard that a few others have found this also wonder if Santa Cruz's recommendations are based on riser bars?

Nuff said, do yourself a favor and try out a superlight!

Favorite Trail:   Daley Ranch, Escondido

Purchased At:   Mountain Bike Warehouse

Similar Products Used:   Giant Yukon

Bike Setup:   Fox Float RL rear shock, Thomson stem and post, XT cranks, deraillieurs, shifters and hubs, Avid mechanical disks, Terry Fly saddle, Easton Carbon bar (straight), Panaracer Trailblasters, Marzocchi Z3 Bomber, Shimano 858 pedals.

Submitted by Jimmy Lee a Cross Country Rider from Santa Monica, Ca

Date Reviewed: March 16, 2002

Bottom Line:
It's been about a year and a half since my last review and I've abused this product for about two and a half years. The bottom line is, I FALL IN LOVE WITH THIS BIKE OVER AND OVER AGAIN. I am not kidding, man. I'm 5'9" weigh 160lbs. This bike has saved my un-talented little arse so many times. But when I've made mistakes, it's been through a shattered collar bone, strains too numerous to mention, and other crashes. It gets up like a champion dog, ready for more.

I'm partial to the simplicity and durability of the single pivot and this bike will not disappoint.

If you are looking for a do-anything-it-is-asked-of-to-do kind of cross country bicycle, try this one. Do yourself a favor. Try the others first. The Superlight climbs better than my GT Avalanche (hardtail), then descends like a light weight downhill bike.

Mountain biking will grow a hole new dimension. All of the same 'ol trails you've been riding will transcend into a Mother Nature's own amusement park.

You'll notice that I initially gave this bike 4 chili's. But with all these new designs coming up without a single competitor for plushness in a mountain bike, my appreciation has really grown.

Favorite Trail:   the ones wit' dirt on'um

Purchased At:   I don't remember

Submitted by FritzMan a Cross Country Rider from Ottawa, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2002

Strengths:    Looks, weight, strength, low maintenance

Weaknesses:    Ummmm..... Maybe some chipping, but 1986 Chevy Camero Red touch-up paint perfectly matches my powder coated red frame.

Bottom Line:
This is a follow-up for my earlier posting (10 months ago). I still get as excited to ride this thing as the first day I got her. I've since added a (flexy) SID 100 which definitely balances out the bike compared to my previous 80mm fork . I run the rear suspension exactly as spec'd by Fox for my weight and use the lockout on out-of saddler efforts, smooth climbs, and flat stuff. Although many don't need the lockout, I setup the bike fairly plush to get a little more comfort during enduros and yet still get the jump when needed. This bike is sensitive to rider weight, so adjust the rear shock if you shed poundage.

I tried to follow SantaCruz's recommendations on stem length, but I find them too long. My setup is (I'm 5'9" and 178 lbs) medium frame, 100mm 15 deg RF stem with 1/8" spacer (rather than the 120mm recommended stem), and offset post. It's a tight cockpit with little wheeling' issues on climbs and rocketship decending abilitites. I've had three of the four water bottle mount rivets fail (spin in the tube), but $40 at the local shop fixed that quick.

This is an awesome dual role trail/race bike, and has given me several great results in enduros.

Purchased At:   Calgary Cycle

Bike Setup:   Superlight, Mavic UST, SRAM, Raceface

Submitted by Vincent Tan a Cross Country Rider from BSB, BRUNEI

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2002

Strengths:    Light -Plush -Sweet Ride.

Weaknesses:    Not yet.

Bottom Line:
After riding my hardtail- Schwinn Moab 3 for 8 months, I decide to have a 2nd bike based on my riding style & I finally got my first FS bike.

Fully satified with frame & my choiced components.

Thanks for all those contributed your views.

Purchased At:   Triple Star Enterprise, BSB

Similar Products Used:   Hard Tails- Schwinn Moab, Cannodale CAAD & Specialize

Bike Setup:   Metal grey frame with Fox Air RC:- SID SL, Full XTR with RapidRise RD/46th Crank, CrossMax/Mosquito tubeless, ChrisKing headset, Thomson post & stem, Easton Monkeylite Bar/Yeti grip, Time ATAC Titan Carbon padel, SI Flite 165g saddle. Now US$3,300. Weight ~ 11.1kg.

Submitted by BOB C from MARYSVILLE CA

Date Reviewed: February 28, 2002

Strengths:    VERY SIMPLE DESIGN BUT WORKS EXCELLENT. VERY EASY TO MAINTAIN. AWESOME PERFORMANCE YET SIMPLE DESIGN.

Weaknesses:    THE LACK OF REPLACABLE DERAILER HANGAR. I BENT MINE OVER 6 WEEKS AFTER I PURCHASED IT. SANTA CRUZ SENT ME A NEW SWING ARM IN LESS THAN 10 DAYS. I THINK IT WAS CRAPPY LUCK.

Bottom Line:
THE BIKE ROCKS. IT CLIMBS WELL IT DESCENDS WELL. BUT MOST OF ALL IT IS SUPER EASY TO MAINTAIN. I HAVE HAD TO SEND THE REAR SHOCK IN FOR NEW BUSHINGS AND A REBUILD.I DID NOT WANT TO BE WITHOUT THE BIKE SO I LOOKED INTO A NEW SHOCK. I GOT A NEW FOX VANILLA R THROUGH MY LOCAL BIKE SHOP AS A SPARE FOR A GOOD PRICE IN TWO DAYS AND THEY GOT IT FROM SANTA CRUZ. THEY SENT IT WITH THE CORRECT COIL AND SET UP FOR XC RIDING.THAT IS AWESOME CUSTOMER SERVICE. I LOVE THIS BIKE. IT TAKES ABOUT 15 MINUTES TO SWAP THE SHOCK OUT.IT TOOK ALL OF 30 MINUTES TO PUT A NEW SWINGARM ON WHEN I HAD TO REPLACE IT .
THE BIKE ROCKS I LOVE IT. I RIDE ALOT A REAL LOT. I DONT BRAKE PARTS AS MUCH AS WEAR THEM OUT FROM ALOT OF HARD RIDING.I CAN SAY MY SANTA CRUZ IS AWESOME IT TAKES ALL I DISH OUT.
FOR MY SECOND MT BIKE I BOUGHT A SPECIALIZED FSR IT WAS A PIECE OF CRAP. I SOLD IT 6 MONTHS AFTER BUYING AND WENT BACK TO A HARD TAIL. I SWORE NO MORE FULL SUSPENSION BIKES. THEN I SEEN A SANTA CRUZ. WHAT A SIMPLE DESIGN. THEN I RODE ONE AND READ REVIEWS. I BOUGHT ONE. I AM A AIRCRAFT MECHANIC AND I KEEP MY BIKE PERFECT. I AM NOT A FAN OF THE MULTI LINK SUSPENSION (HORST LINK ) FROM A MAINTENANC STAND POINT.IT ( HORST LINK) MAY OUT PERFORM THE MONO SHOCK DESIGN BUT IT WILL NEVER SURPASS THE SIMPLICITY OF THE MONO SHOCK.
THE BIKE FITS ME BETTER THAN ANY I HAVE EVER HAD AND OUT PERFORMS ANYTHING I HAVE EVER HAD. I AM 5 10 AND 19D LBS AND IT JUST FEELS PERFECT CLIMBING AND DESCENDING. IT IS THE PERFECT BALANCE OF PERFORMANCE.IT IS A AWESOME DESIGN AND I DO NOT SEE MUCH OUT THERE THAT COMPETES FOR THE PRICE . IT IS FOR THE SERIOUS TRAIL RIDER. I LOVE EXPLORING NEW TRAILS AND LONG RIDES AND THE BIKE IS PERFECT FOR ME. I WILL BUY ANOTHER SANTA CRUZ WHEN I BUY ANOTHER BIKE.

Favorite Trail:   South Yuba (all 16 miles)

Purchased At:   Cambria