Outland Sports VPP5 Frameset

MSRP : $1999.00

Outland Sports VPP5

Submitted by johnathon seifert a Cross Country Rider from santa cruz ca

Date Reviewed: November 18, 2010

Strengths:    The bike is very well designed, but once Santa Cruz took over the vpp bushings became unavailable. So for the post by the guy looking to redo the bushings I went to a local machinist and he was able to make them and the bike rides fine now.

Weaknesses:    Not being able to get parts. You really have to shop around and make sure what you are buying actually fits. For example front and rear suspension, but bushings are the hardest part. I was actually thinking of selling it because its a large frame and I need a medium. The bike is loaded with all of the high end parts like XTR, CHRIS KING, HOPE DISC BRAKES, HOPE HUBS ETC. If any one has an idea of a starting price let me know.

Thanks
John

Bottom Line:
Basically I would like to know more about this bike. I know Santa Cruz bought the vpp but what are they worth if I wanted to sell it?

Favorite Trail:   de laveaga golf course or wilder ranch

Purchased At:   yard sale

Submitted by Rockoteer a Weekend Warrior from Moses Lake, Wa. USA

Date Reviewed: February 17, 2009

Strengths:    It is tough. Not too heavy. Smooth on rough downhills. It is a lot of fun to ride and I don't feel like i am out of control.

Weaknesses:    The bushings of course. Mine is now unrideable. Anyone that could help with new bushings i would be eternally grateful.

Bottom Line:
I think it was over engineered. It is definately a show stopper in that everyone i ride with is completely blown away by the looks. It is just no longer rideable. I paid way to much for this used. I don't think that i would do it again. Probably go for a nice Cannondale CAAD5.

Favorite Trail:   City Streets

Purchased At:   Auction

Similar Products Used:   I have not used any other mountain bike that has both front and rear suspension.

Bike Setup:   Just as it came. It bottoms out but then if i would loose about 50 lbs it would help.

Submitted by mike a Cross Country Rider from calgary

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Strengths:    The most incredible machining I have seen on any bicycle period.

Weaknesses:    The pivots are the weakest point of this bike and the frame is whippy.

Bottom Line:
I purchased this bike last fall, it's actually a vpp-3. I got it for a reasonable price because all of the bushing were completely wore out. The rest of the bike was in good shape. The bushing problem did not really bother me because I am a machinist by trade and an avid cyclist. I have since replaced 24 of the original bronze bushings with 14 high quality sealed bearings. This involved designing and machining new lower linkages,and minor modifications to the swing arm;without changing any of the original dimensions. I have since completely restored the bike with new powder coat, decals etc. The bearing conversion is working incredibly well, as the back end is tight, quiet and buttery smooth. Any one that claims that this suspension design does not bob is lying. The system is torque sensitive, so it is possible to experience some bobbing when you do did exceed the torque load to lock out the suspension. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but on most climbs the system is truly unique. Any one interested in more details and photos of the conversion I performed please contact me. As a machinist I could truly appreciate the design and workmanship that went into a bike that was ahead of its time.

Favorite Trail:   sulfur springs

Similar Products Used:   Mnt Cycle CXS,

Bike Setup:   XTR, raceface, syncros, manitou, mavic.

Submitted by Gordon a Cross Country Rider from Pioneer, CA USA

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2002

Strengths:    Joy to ride.

Weaknesses:    I have beat it to death and had no problems.

Bottom Line:
I have an original (blue sticker) VPP and beat it to death. I'm a 205, 6'3" rider and I love a good hill climb as much as a fast downhill. I've beat my bike up (blew up 2 alps 4's, bent 2 crank sets, and potato chipped 2 rear wheels) yet my frame functions perfectly. My suggestion, clean off the bike after every ride. Bushings and dirt dont mix!!!

Similar Products Used:   I've been riding Mountian Bikes for over 15 years. I've ridin it all.

Submitted by Jon a Downhiller from Los Gatos, Ca

Date Reviewed: April 24, 2001

Strengths:    Incredible suspension feel 0 pedal bob and reletivly light.

Weaknesses:    What were they thinking with 1/16" titanium bushings if you use this bike for what it was ment for you are looking at a lot of repair.

Bottom Line:
Here is the kicker I have talked to reps at Santa Cruz Mtb and there is no hope for us. While they did buy the suspension design they did not buy the problems we all have. The new bike looks f*cking sick if you were lucky enough to see it at Sea Otter Classic this year. 9" of VPP travel what else do you need in life. Any ways there is no hope for the pivots and Santa Cruz Can't help. I guess the only option is to save up and buy the Santa Cruz when it comes out in a year. Buy the way if any one finds a pivot kit and wants to get rid of it for a good amount of doe E-mail the adress above.

Favorite Trail:   Karpiel Tahoe, Ca

Purchased At:   Local shop

Bike Setup:   VPP DH, Foes f-1 hayes sun ryno on white industries and foes 30mm hub.

Submitted by j dt a Downhiller from nor Cal

Date Reviewed: March 21, 2001

Strengths:    no bop pedaling, sleek design, Santa Cruz now owns it!!!

Weaknesses:    bushing suck @ss, and need replacing too often

Bottom Line:
Interesting news to those who own this frame. check this link. Santa Cruz bought the VPP patent from Outland THANK GOD!!!! VPP Rules!

Looks like Santa Cruz might make a kit that we all might be able to use now they bought the VPP patent. Lets keep our fingers crossed that we might be able to use this $2000 frame!!! Mine is a great display to look at.

Favorite Trail:   Downieville

Similar Products Used:   Gt

Submitted by M.Yoshida a Downhiller from Fukuoka, Japan

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1999

Strengths:
unique design

Weaknesses:
very week

Bottom Line:
I have been using this bike(vpp5-dual) for alomost 1 year as DH bike. It crimbs very well so I can use it for xc fun-ride, too.
That's why I like it. After about 6 months of riding DH once a week, pibots were worn out. I replaced shafts with ones made of cro-mori and bushes with ones made of somekind of special plastic(I don't know what they called in English.). Now rear suspenshon moves smoother than before and I am quite shure that the shafts will last much more longer than before because they are
stiffer and those bushes are softer than before. Those bushes might be worn out quickly but they are cheep(about 50cent each). But, I fuound THREE cracks on the head tube recently.... I was alomst going to forget about this bike. Luckily, I found a shop which will replace the head tube with quite reasonable expence. Reading this page told me that there are some people who keep on taking care of this bike even the company doesn't help them. It is nice to hear such a things. If you are interested in sruffs I wrote above, please contact me by Email.

Igisu

XT-components, Tioga90mmDH-front_shock,
Alps5r,

Submitted by Mark Gerrard a Cross-Country Rider from Centreville, VA

Date Reviewed: July 11, 1999

Strengths:
Awesome efficient design

Weaknesses:
No source for parts. Until now.

Bottom Line:
Anyone out there got a great bike, but nowhere to turn for improved spares now the factory is history? Read on.
Outland VP3 & VP5 owners, the recently defunct company has left you out in the cold, for more than one reason.
1. You were sold a wonderful design, however the materials and specifications of some of the components manufactured from those materials was not up to the standards you expected.
2. You are now left with little or no help from the factory with replacement parts to maintain the quality of the machine you expected when this purchase was made.
Do not go to your local blacksmith and have this marvelous piece of machinery butchered, there are bushing kits and shafts available that exceed the
quality of the factory originals. If you want to hear more contact me at mgerrard@erols.com

Porcupine Rim

2 Years

Ellsworth Truth (own both)

Marzochhi Superfly, Alps 5R

Submitted by rusty a Weekend Warrior from ca

Date Reviewed: May 12, 1999

Bottom Line:
Outland Sports is in receivership and going out of business. There is a pereson there now selling bushing kits only, but I don't know for how long. I love my custom '99 DH, and purchased 2 kits. Luckily I have an extra dropout.Good Luck.Rusty

2 Years

Submitted by Frank a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, B.C.

Date Reviewed: March 21, 1999

Strengths:
Not there frames

Weaknesses:
Besides their bike, the company

Bottom Line:
Warning: If your considering the purchase of an Outland product there are some things you may be interested in knowing. Outland appears to be having some legal problems and are going through the litigation process. They are not returning phone calls made to 1-888-222-8981 or 360-398-2282. I have broken my VPP 5 at the front portion of the virtual pivot points. With the company being in limbo like this indefinitely who knows if my frame or anyone else's will ever be warranted. This also causes major problems in availability of the components that would be required to service the highly specialized rear triangle. Unfortunately for myself and all of the other Outland owner's out there, we may be in serious trouble. I hope that Outland can work out there problems and return back to business very soon. As for myself, I could not wait for this matter to be resolved as the litigation process could take forever. I therefore have ordered a new frame from Turner and hope this never happens again as I did not budget for a new frame so soon.
I was hoping to get at least 3 seasons out of the frame but instead find myself dishing out serious coin to replace it with something comparable. So I hope the readers find this bit of information valuable as it could save you from a major headache not to mention the thousands of dollars you could potentially end up spending.

Submitted by John a Weekend Warrior from Vancouver, Bc

Date Reviewed: March 18, 1999

Bottom Line:
I would like to warn all those considering buying an Outland bike. I have recently learned that the company is involved in some sort of business problems and are now closed for business and the future seems uncertain at best. You may want to consider this as future service and/or warranty might be a problem. Check for yourself they have a toll free number at 1-888-222-8981. Good Luck John.

Submitted by CRAIG BLACK a cross-country rider from Saratoga, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: January 21, 1999

Bottom Line:

I'm not here to write a review of this product. Sorry! I am looking for imformation on the OUTLAND line of frames. I have searched the web extensively. I can find no website for them. This review page is the only info I have found so far. It is interesting to see the love/hate relationships this product seems to inspire amongst its users. I would like to see some reviews on this bike from some avarage users, people who aren't 200+ pound downhill crunchers or weekend warrior novices, people with at least a few years experiance on full suspension. I myself ride almost every day. Though I do not race at this time, I consider myself an experianced rider with many years of mtb and bmx behind me. My riding preferance is cross contry, specializing in technical singletrack. I would greatly appricate any info, or website addresses I could go to for info, on this product.Thanks, Craig Black

Submitted by David Brady a downhiller from Livermore, CA

Date Reviewed: September 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have riden an Outland since they first came out. Being a 200 lb d/h racer my parts get rideen hard. My outland has never missed a beat. If you have never riden one, you are missing out!! You can ride over stuff that would normally put you on your head. The susp. works under power and braking, NO POGO!!! I can also climb better with my Outland than most can with a hardtail. Lopes and Donavan rode these frames and won championships for a reason, they rule !

Submitted by Paul a racer from NY

Date Reviewed: September 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

I am the friend of Chris' who also broke a Dual front triangle, the first time the seattube snapped 1 above the shock mount and the top and down tubes craked after 6 months. The second frame, which happily came pre-dented (they said just be happy we waranteed it), snapped the top tube right behind the headset like Chris' .To make a couple of things clear I weigh 200 lbs + or - 5 lbs so I have some winter training to do to race clydsdale. Also both Chris and I were using Marzocchi Z1 forks. After getting the run around for a week and a half from Outland warranty they have now told me that they have determined I used a double crown fork so they won't warranty my frame. Interesting. As a shop service manager with ten years of experience I found their customer service to be well below the industry standard. At this point my review is love the ride, no pivot problems even during a East Coast winter. I only ride my Bontrager Ti Lite when this is broken.Unfortunately that is to often. Growing to hate the company. Buyer Beware!I would recommend buying the DH 5 or DH6 for aggressive riders CC, DH, or Freeride. And when your friends raz you about the weight kill them on the clmbs.

Submitted by Jon Kessler a downhiller from Millbrook, NY

Date Reviewed: September 10, 1998

Bottom Line:

I started out with a VPP5 Dual and I broke it while coming off of a 10ft drop in onto the front end. The fork I had which was a Rock Shox Judy DH was fine but the frame was bent in two. I sent it back and got a new one. This time I had to pay an extra $400 and got a VPP5 DH. I swapped the rear shock with a RS Super Deluxe and put a ZZYZX up front. Now the bike is sweet. I havent had any problems. The new shock in the rear, and a plusher fork up front made this bike a much better ride and a good DH racer. The pivots, ehh, they do get some friction but the way it works helps ease the pain. The way the pivots move prevents the distance from the BB to the axle stay the same. Overall the bike is cool but it takes a while and a lot of money to get the bike worthy of being an experts race bike.
--Tip: Get the DH not the Dual because you will break the Dual. If you don't like the weight, stop b!tching or look somewhere else.