Mountain Cycle San Andreas Frameset

4.8/5 (71 Reviews)

Mountain Cycle San Andreas

Submitted by Darren B a Weekend Warrior from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: January 10, 2011

Strengths:    Bought MC SA frame after years of wanting one really bad. Hands down the best bike I have ever had. You can see the quality of the frame build, over engineering and all out coolness in the design. Looks like a steel beam bridge with wheels.

Bottom Line:
Love this bike. It was one of the last original San Luis Obispo rigs before the company changed hands a million times. Sweet, sweet ride.

Favorite Trail:   Anywhere in SoCal

Purchased At:   CBO

Similar Products Used:   ProFlex Animal

Bike Setup:   Avid Mechanical Brakes, XT bits, King Headset, Ringle Bubba Hubs, Girvin ProLink front shock. Lots of stuff on and off.

Submitted by Mark Riley a Weekend Warrior from Newtown, NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: May 30, 2006

Strengths:    Timeless design that still holds up very well in all round riding.

Weaknesses:    High bottom bracket makes cornering feel sketchy.

Bottom Line:
I broke it !
I owned it 1 year and was using it in a 24hr race. I made a bad landing doing a creek crossing which the front wheel cleared but the back wheel caught below the lip. With my weight on the saddle, it pulled the VPS block right off the frame.I only weigh 72kg.
I trust this is a one off.
The biggest problem was getting the new frame from Mountain Cycle. My first email to the sales team replied back to say that the original staff have left the company due to the new management's direction (Kinesis). I then made contact with somebody who never returned my emails requesting shipping costs before I submitted credit card details. I phoned him from Australia and we agreed but then again my emails were not answered. After a terse email, I got a reply and the new frame was shipped to Australia in only 2-3 days. A very quick transaction after I had spent 8 weeks chasing it.
Customer service was appalling but I still love the look and ride of my San Andreas that does EVERYTHING !
My rating is for the bike not the company's crap service.

Favorite Trail:   Manly Dam

Purchased At:   Cambria Bike

Similar Products Used:   Lots of hardtails. Used a Schwinn Rocket for 6 months.

Bike Setup:   Z1 Freeride SL's, Fox Vanilla R, Sram - XT mix.

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from San Diego, CA

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2004

Strengths:    Well-balanced geomertry, simplicity in suspension, quality, strength, durability

Weaknesses:    Perhaps cable routing

Bottom Line:
I wanted to rekindle my stoke for biking (that I lost following many injuries and board sports diversions) and remember looking at this bike was I was pedaling around on my first rockhopper 15 years ago. My wife and I both have this stablemate, and I am enthralled by the frameset. I was worried that the bike would be a clydesdale, but it's as nimble and flickable as a gazelle. Climbs well for a 32 pound six-incher, but rides like it's on rails through the singletrack descents.

Purchased At:   Adrenaline

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Enduro, Kona Dawg, Marin taras suspension

Bike Setup:   Progressive 5th Element, Marzocchi Mx pro, XT, ritchey wheelsets, clipless, Hays hydraulic (30ish pounds)

Submitted by jeff angell a Weekend Warrior from des moines ,iowa

Date Reviewed: November 9, 2004

Strengths:    has been everything I've always heard about. Most think of it as a downhiller but mine is set up for xcountry. I've ridden my friends bikes and they are mushy feeling and don't turn as well!

Weaknesses:    my bike might be alittle heavier than most of the hard tales I see around! But I'm feeling better after the ride I'm sure!!

Bottom Line:
I'm very impressed with the bike. I would like a newer bike but there aren't any dealers around that carry the bikes I would buy here and I wouldn't want to be dissapointed with a mail order bike that wasn't as good as the one I have already. BOTTOM LINE: A good bike for a more aggressive trail rider that doesn't want to have to fix they're bike often! HARD TO BREAK!

Favorite Trail:   greenwood park

Similar Products Used:   AMP B3,AMP B4

Bike Setup:   Judy XL,Hayes Hydros brakes,thompson,raceface,XT

Submitted by Todd a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta

Date Reviewed: June 14, 2004

Strengths:    It's pretty light for 5" travel, no-bob rear suspension, trusty construction for my 215 lbs, single pivot means easy maintenance, they've been doing this thing for 10+ years, I like the full cable housing type cable routing.

Weaknesses:    The frame amplifies trail noise so it's a little noisy in the quiet woods, but not too bad. It's a little tall too, it sits high but I've gotten used to it.

Bottom Line:
I think this has to be the most under-utilized under-rated (even though the ratings here are very good) frame out there. There is no bobbing on flats, it climbs like a goat, and it takes the descents like a downhill bike. The maintenance is zero on the pivots. I can't believe I don't see these things all over the place. If you can, try one and you'll see. I hope these guys at Kinesis keep making this thing and suggest they try beef up their marketing efforts.

Purchased At:   frame at Cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   I've tried it all, I mean everything.

Bike Setup:   X-vert super, Thomson post, Avid mechanical discs, and the rest is XT. It's build as a trail bike so it sits about 29lbs right now. I think I could get I to 27lbs with some sensable parts and about $1k. A weight weenie could get it to 26 lbs.

Submitted by jeff angell a Weekend Warrior from des moines ,iowa

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2004

Strengths:    I am not a serious rider but I weigh over 200lbs and this bike is very strong and seems to carve well in the single track that I normally ride.There is no creaking from the frame at all and this bike is going on 4 years old!!!

Weaknesses:    The only weakness I've seen is in other components,Not the frame!(stems,posts)

Bottom Line:
I'm leaving this review because I think it would be helpful for larger riders to know that there is a strong light weight bike here that is not just for downhill. Most people think of this bike as just a downhiller. It is as light as any I've had and honestly has been a great bike!

Favorite Trail:   science center

Purchased At:   e-bay

Similar Products Used:   mountain cycle-shockwave,Amp B5,Trek 9000

Bike Setup:   Judy xl front fork,raceface dh cranks,shimano xt,thompson,hayes brakes,sun rims,stock rear shock by mountain cycle

Submitted by Lee Combs a Downhiller from Festus,MO.

Date Reviewed: January 26, 2004

Strengths:    Frame is awsome,piviot bearings are used instead of plastic bushings,makes for a very sturdy frame.adjustable ride highth

Bottom Line:
Awsome frame,bike looks like its going fast just sitting still,wife is afraid to walk around it,bike climbs very well,rides very plush,take bumps and dips smooth,sets up a lot higher than any other bike ive had.very quick and stable down hills.

Favorite Trail:   Any

Similar Products Used:   none of my other bikes even come close to this one.

Bike Setup:   bombshell wheels,motorapter 2.4 tires, xtr derailers,raceface crank,manitou elite forks,hayes 8 inch hydrolic brakes,kore stem and rise handlebars ,xt shifters

Submitted by Worrab a Downhiller from Bothell, Wa, US

Date Reviewed: September 5, 2003

Strengths:    This frame is strong, I've never had anything go wrong with it. No maintenance required. It is also easy to up-grade or change configurations for X-C or Down hill

Weaknesses:    Noisy. you hear all the creaks and pops as you ride and the accessibility of the front derailleur is imposable (better with the new frame) Other than that there are no weaknesses.

Bottom Line:
I've been riding a San Andreas XC for about three years, but when it was stolen I looked around for a replacement bike. It did not take me long to start looking for another San Andreas. They kick ass... I decided to go with the DHS set up this time. It ended up being about 36lbs, but it hauls down hills and takes the drops and jumps like they are not there.

I have ridden a Cannondale Gemini, Jekyil, Norco Drop and some Ellsworth and it rides in the all around arena better than them all.

Purchased At:   Mountain Cycle

Bike Setup:   Jr. T, Fox Vanilla RC, Mavic 519 rims, Hayes disks and all the other higher end parts.

Submitted by Steve a Cross Country Rider from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: April 14, 2003

Strengths:    Mountain Cycle San Andreas XC Air 2003
-Good climber, stable at speed, yet turns well. Like the adjustable frame geometry. Very stiff frame, light front end - great for wheelies. Handles great on tight trails and through technical sections. Very race worthy, great acceleration.

Weaknesses:    Fox RL rear Air shock constantly leaked down (100PSI per week!) until I purged all of the air out of it and bottomed it out (seals were not seated properly from factory) . After doing this, the shock stopped leaking air. I understand that a lot of RL's have the same problem.
Also a bit of funky drivetrain backlash when peddling through rolling whoops (chain will pull back on crank as frame geometry changes through suspension stroke) but nothing major.

Bottom Line:
I waited 2 months for this frame, but it was worth it. Aside from the rear shock leaking air at first (Yikes!), I haven't had any problems so far. With the rear air shock, there is just enough room to fit a long screwdriver throught the swingarm shock mount to adjust the front derailleur (unlike the DH model). The ride on the XC San Andreas model is like no other supension bike I have ever tried - it is supple without feeling mushy. The lock-out on the RL is also a definite bonus - it makes the bike feel like a hardtail on flat ground and up steep hills. Looks cool, too.

Purchased At:   Cambriabike.com

Similar Products Used:   '97 Specialized AI Ground control (Rear shock was a nightmare - went trough 3 - finally had to get a machine shop to rebuild with automotive seals and make new brass bushings - still works today! ); '2000 Oryx ATX 250 FS

Bike Setup:   2003 Bomber Z1 Freeride fork, 2002 XTR drivetrain with XT shifters, Grimeca System 8 brakes with Bontrager Race Disk wheels and hubs, Selle Italia Flight Gel Ti saddle, Ritchey Logic Pro2 clipless, Syncros bars+seatpost, Raceface SyStem (put a 1/2" steerer tube spacer on top of stem and under headset cap to stop the notorius Raceface stem flex), Ritchey ZED 2.1 Kevlar tires, Chris King Headset. I weigh about 195 lbs and have the rear air shock set at 275 PSI, with 3 clicks out from max damping for agressive cross country. NOTE: Old Rockshox Quadra 5 fork boots are a perfect fit for the Fox RL rear shock and will protect it from mud and grime.

Submitted by Andy Watson from Houston, TX, USA

Date Reviewed: February 4, 2003

Strengths:    This frames is the stiffest and most agile frame I have ever ridden. It climbs like a mountain goat and I love the adjustable cockpit and shock mount. The weight is distributed very well throughout the frame so not one area is heavier to lift. Replaceable subframe and swingarm if necessary. My last POS GT Team model could not handle the abuse and broke at the seat post clamp weld. If this one breaks you just get a new part to replace instead of having to shop for a whole new frame again. Chicks dig it.

Weaknesses:    Hard to get one in your hands because so many people want one.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this frame rocks. I spent 4 months shopping for a new frame and had to wait on this one for two. I bought it from Progressionbikeshop.com straight from Jim, the owner. He helped me so much when a lot of other places did not seem to have the time. I highly recommend getting the Mountain Cycle frames through him. He gave me an excellent price and assured me that I would have the very first 2003 San Andreas and he came through big time. Mountain Cycle just started selling through bike shops this year instead of dealing direct. They offer a lifetime warranty and have been very responsive to technical questions. I highly recommend getting this frame if you don't already have one. This bike is especially plush for bigger riders - 200+ lbs. I give their operation 5 big chile blunts for a job well done.

Favorite Trail:   Grapevine Lake, TX

Thornproof Tubes
Kore Skewers

Submitted by Mark from Thousand Oaks CA

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2002

Strengths:    excellent ride

Weaknesses:    bottome bracket flex, weak swing arm

Bottom Line:
I was thrilled when I first got this bike it handled and jumped among the best out there I had good faith in the bike, from what the other reviews say it has a strong frame and if it does ever break Mountain Cycle will back you up.

This was good till my swing arm broke, just above the main pivot, on the right side. After removing it and inspecting it I found four cracks on top of the break! 2 where the shock is attached, one huge one going across the weld below that, and another one on the opposite side of the central box. Now maybe the break was just from normal fatigue but the other cracks especially the ones going through the welds shouldn’t be there, something differently went wrong when it was built or designed or whatever. And I am not overweight nor do I go very big maybe 10 ft jumps at most.

So of course after hearing so many stories about their great customer service I am still not sweating it, until I gave them a call and found out “They don’t warranty second hand customers” and a new swing arm is going to be 500 dollars. That pist me off it shouldn’t matter if I bought the bike used or not, they made it, if its **** up they should take responsibility. On top of that there trying to pull in a profit off there weak swing arms considering a new San Andreas frame goes for a little under a $1000 form Cambria bike. Think of this the swing arm probably is the most complex piece to make on the bike but I doubt the cost of metal and labor involved equals as much as the cost of the metal and labor of the sub frame, seat tower, and shock.

So after this I am not happy with the company. A company that cant support second hand customers “people who are still out there riding their bike, showing off their name getting them out there”, That says they don’t have a 100% faith in there product. So my stickers are coming off and if anyone asks it’s a department store bike. It gets 2 chiles for a great ride but a structurally weak a** frame they dare to call a free ride bike.

Purchased At:   recycler

Submitted by david knox a Weekend Warrior from united kingdom

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2002

Strengths:    massivly strong fast stable looks the dogs bollox

Weaknesses:    in two years none

Bottom Line:
having tried six of the rest........no comparism its the best bike ive owned when it(if it ever)wears out i'll buy another one! if you are serious about freeriding this is one of the most awesome bits of kit you can buy (it even looks totally outrageous as well)

Favorite Trail:   epping forest

Purchased At:   tom skene cycles

Similar Products Used:   3gts . kona cannondale marin

Bike Setup:   white bros . hayes 8in roters all xtr raceface fox vanilla rc azonic razerrock sun mammoth contis hopehubs wtb x-lite

Submitted by Matt a Weekend Warrior from Lincoln

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2001

Strengths:    Nice ride, wicked looks, cult following.

Bottom Line:
As you can see from all these other reviews the San Andreas is a top bike, and it has quite a following, its almost a cult bike...

I love my San Andreas but I have decided to sell it to help decorate my Kitchen. If you would like to buy a Black and Silver San Andreas, with Stratos MX6 forks, XT and Maguras, Adjustable R/C Piggy back shock, etc then contact me Via E mail. Price: £700 ono.

Favorite Trail:   Wharncliff

Bike Setup:   Adjustable R/C Piggy back shock, XT Mechs, Maguras, Stratos MX6, STX-RC Hubs on Mavic 517s, etc.

Submitted by John Streblow a Downhiller from Napa, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 24, 2001

Strengths:    Strong, relitively light for a semi-dh bike

Weaknesses:    Nothing

Bottom Line:
I just bought the bike about 3 months ago and nothing has gone wrong yet. Mine has 4.5" of travel and it will take on any rock, root or drop you take it off of. I raced the sea otter downhill on it and it was great. I also take in on a ton of courses on Mt. Tam and it works great. It can be set up really well to be a complete DH bike. It is also great for riding up hill too. Its really good for jumping too, i have taken it too a lot of jumping places and it works well.

Favorite Trail:   Mc. Curdy