Moots Rigor Mootis Frameset

4.88/5 (8 Reviews)

Moots Rigor Mootis

Submitted by lukulele a Racer from Cambridge, MA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2011

Strengths:    smooth ride, stiff, light enough, durability, Ti bling factor

Weaknesses:    non-replaceable derailleur hanger

Bottom Line:
I've raced this bike in everything from 24 Hours of Great Glen, to super-D, to short track cross country, and it's handled it all with elegance, comfort and mind blowing speed. I can't imagine or find anything that flows through single track like this frame. Could find something a bit lighter for racing if you're really a weenie, but this bike is buildable to sub 20 lbs and is in my opinion the ideal xc hardtail.

Favorite Trail:   Kigndom Trails, VT

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Salsa, Trek, Specialized Stumpjumper, Fastrax

Bike Setup:   rigormootis, 1x9 SRAM X.0, Juicy 5, XTR UST wheelset, Fox 32 F90 RL

Submitted by Tom a Weekend Warrior from Germantown, MD, USA

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2007

Strengths:    Stiff, compared to my AC, yet flexible enough to feel smooth on small bumps. Nopaint to rub off. Looks fast while standing still.

Weaknesses:    None whatsoever!

Bottom Line:
I started using this on the trail, and even though I loved the FS of my AC, I stopped using the Giant. Now I commute ~100-150 miles per week (for last 18 months) and the only thing I've had to replace/repair is brake cables, cassette & chain. It's a major investment, but with normal maint. it will last a lifetime. Moots has great customer service, too ( had some problems with their TailGator rack - took care of it, no problems). If you can afford it & it won't cause a divorce, get a Moots. It's cheaper than a Litespeed and built as well or better.

Purchased At:   SpeedGoat

Similar Products Used:   I hava a Giant AC. No similarities.

Bike Setup:   Moots Ti frame, post, stem, & handlebars; XTR drive & Koobi saddle (sweet)

Submitted by Brad a Racer from Butler, PA

Date Reviewed: November 7, 2002

Strengths:    unparalled craftmanship, durability, and performance

Bottom Line:
This is an update after racing/riding this frame for a full season: Completed over 20 races on this bike including 24hr of Snowshoe & a 24-hr duo event in which I logged over 115-miles. Not once did I desire to be riding my full suspension at any of these races. The Moots frame has the perfect balances in light weight/durability, regitity/comfort, and race performance/trail performance.

There is simply no better hard-tail frame made! Absolutely no regrets in buying this frame - it's worth every single penny!

Purchased At:   speedgoat.com

Similar Products Used:   Merlin, Specialized FSR

Bike Setup:   16" frame w/ curved top -tube custom option, CaneCreek WAM disk/Mosquito Airlights w/ Stan's sealant, hope minis, XTR/sram mix, marzocchi x-fly, moots layback post

Submitted by Brad a Racer from Butler, PA

Date Reviewed: July 5, 2002

Strengths:    geomety, geometry, geometry
craftsmanship, craftsmanship, craftsmanship
singletrack, singletrack, singletrack

Bottom Line:
This is simply the most amazing frame I have ever ridden! The geomety and handling is dead on with a Marzocchi 80mm shock. Stable and precise handling at low and high speeds (tough to get in a small frame).

If you are a racer, hardcore single track rider or hardtail enthusiast this frame is perfect for you - compliant yet laterally stiff to a perfect balance.

If you have ever ordered a high end frame then was even slightly dissapointed when it arrived - have no fear in spending a little extra on a Moots. This frame is perfectly crafted - welds and finish. This is the type of frame that you will keep for a life-time.

5 chilis for value because this type of perfomance is worth the extra $$ and you won't be replacing it in a couple years.

Purchased At:   www.speedgoat.com

Similar Products Used:   Merlin Mtn - loyal bike for 5 years but can't compare to the RigorMootis

Bike Setup:   16" frame w/ curved top -tube custom option, crossrock wheels/mosquito tubeless w/ Stan's sealant, hope minis, XTR/sram mix, marzocchi x-fly, moots layback post

Submitted by Dr. Jon Kolon a Racer from Salt Lake City, Utah

Date Reviewed: December 21, 2001

Strengths:    I used to ride an S Works in Michigan. The Moots is VERY light, responds great to pedal power and flexes when decending and working through tight spots. Very powerful with stiff cranks and wheels and very supple with those stiff components.

Weaknesses:    If you are not in the bicycle industry or a racer, this could get pricy. You get what you pay for. My decals are cracking after two years even after polishing the bicycle after every ride.

Bottom Line:
It is impossible to explain how nice this bicycle rides. Every rider has a feel that they want to have. Test ride ti bikes before you buy. This Moots is the best bicycle frame I have ever seen as far as non custom production. The welds are as nice as my custom by Mark Nobilette. You will pay for this service. If riding is a part of you life, spend the time and $$$ to have a rig that treats you well. The Rigor Mootis is great. Moots is a great company. If you have any questions about the frame or want it to handle a certain way...just call Kent. He's always around.

Favorite Trail:   8000 foot trail, Park City, Utah

Purchased At:   Moots Factory Steamboat Springs Colorado

Similar Products Used:   I've ridden Merlins, Litespeeds, Fat Cities, Nobilettes and have enjoyed them all.

Bike Setup:   Judy 80mm with XTR

Submitted by Howard Franks from Singapore

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2001

Strengths:    Quality of engineering and build is very impressive. However that pales into insignificance once you ride this bike. this is the 2001 frameset with replacable dropout and optional intl. disc mount.

Weaknesses:    It is expensive to build up a bike using this frameset. The colour is not the most exciting I have seen!

Bottom Line:
I do not claim to be an MB ace, but was looking to upgrade from my GT and had a little spare cash. This bike is a 'Single Track Monster'. The light/subtle frame and geometry make it incredibly nimble through trees/roots etc. It is simply a joy to ride. Find myself accelerating out of tight corners at amazing speed, I am having to adjust my thinking to stay ahead of the bike, not a problem I had on the GT! Then you get to a climb, wow!

One area where this frame seems to be better than Litespeed etc is in torsional flex. I tend to use a lot of power/torque (20 years of xc and road running), the Litespeed and similar flex a lot under heavy pedal loads. Although there is still some flex in the Moots it is much less pronounced. If that is due to the heavier build, then I for one am in favour.

Even at this early stage ride for ride I am 20% faster, 30% less fatigued and grinning 100% more!

If you have the money, and enjoy your riding, I thoroughly recommend this bike.

4 for value...it IS a lot of money
5 for the ride.

Purchased At:   Two Wheel Action

Similar Products Used:   Trialled the LiteSpeed Pisgah, Last 12 months on mid-range GT ally bike.

Bike Setup:   RS Sid XC, Full XT, Avid7, 2 wheels, one seat etc

Submitted by Jay a Cross-Country Rider from silver city new mexico

Date Reviewed: June 22, 1999

Strengths:
welds

Weaknesses:
NONE!!!

Bottom Line:
This frame is worth EVERY hard earned penny I spent on it!! This bike is only for people who truely enjoy riding, for people who cant go one day without a ride. This is not a bike for a Weekend Warrior, for no weekend warrior could understand how AWSOME this frame is. I may not have had the frame very long but it truely feels rad. It is smooth yet stiffer than my breezer in sprints, climbs, and decends better, dont get me wrong, my Breezer was a good bike but the Moots is much better. The frame welds are a peice of art work, the bead of the weld is smooth and consistent, no errors at all. The rear dropouts, are totally cool. Well I could go on all day, but I would rather be riding. IN MOOTS WE TRUST

CD trail

less than 1 month

Breezer lightning

Full xtr, with superfly

Submitted by Edward a Cross-Country Rider from Peabody, MA

Date Reviewed: May 2, 1999

Strengths:
Simplicity,craftsmanship,limited production ensures quality

Weaknesses:
slightly overweight for a ti bike, straight guage tubing, boring finish

Bottom Line:
I chose the Moots hardtail over their YBB because the 1 travel of the YBB did not make much difference compared to the ride quality of the hardtail. The bike is flexy, in my opinion, which I like, but others may not. I ordered the 19.5, which may contribute to the flex, but I hate riding tiny bikes. The workmanship is nice, but my old Litespeed and Merlin bikes were just as nice. To be honest, if you blindfolded me I couldn't tell the difference with respect to the ride quality. I like the Moots geometry, and I like the wishbone rear end. The finish is dull, I like the bright-brushed finish on the new Litespeed's, which is a rip-off of Merlin's finish. The welds are nice, but I found a couple of tiny flaws, which is no big deal, but for this price you expect perfection. Breezer type dropouts are nice, unless you try to run trick quick releases, which can be a pain. Weight is close to 4 pounds, due to straight guage tubing, no tapering or butting? Needs to loose close to a pound. I promised myself that this would be my last ti bike, so I broke the bank, and ordered the ti stem and post also, which have their limitations as well. The bike handles nicely, but again, not any better than similar less expensive ti frames. Moots answered all of my e-mail questions, pre and post sale, and were helpful with sizing info, etc. Overall I like the frame, and I like the fact that there are only a few of these around. Not quite perfect, so four stars.

Lynn Woods

3 months

Litespeed, Merlin, Moots YBbeat

Break the bank high end, ti post and stem, Superfly fork, XTR