Mongoose NX8.5 Frameset

NX8.5

Submitted by Ronen a Downhiller from Sydney NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: November 12, 2000

Strengths:    Incredibly Agile Frame, nippy on all terrain ranging from tight single tracks to gnarly north shore stuff. Stiff in all the right places. Good swingarm designs, sweet geometry, excellent for EXPERIENCED riders who are into Freeriding.

Weaknesses:    Stock rear shock leaked but Mongoose was very helpful and replaced it within 3 days.

Bottom Line:
This frame rocks....its very adjustable, soon i will build some new lower swingarms and raise the rear travel to 5.5". The single flaw that i have noticed on this bike is the unfortunate low bracket but with a few machining tools that is easily fixable ;) Great Price, great bike. P.S if you don't know what you're doing, then don't do log crossings & whether you're a good rider or not, always wear a helmet or your visits to the neuro surgeon will be frequent. The Bottom Line is Have FUN.

Favorite Trail:   Bondi Night Urban Assault

Purchased At:   Woodys Wheels

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose NX 7.3, GT Avalanche, Kona Cindercone, Giant ATX 870, Rocky Mountain RM6, GT Avalanche LE, GT Backwoods.

Bike Setup:   Mongoose Newman 8.5 2000 frame, Marzocchi Z2 bam's, xt rear derailer, full STX-RC, PAZZAZ Stem and handlebars, Avid Brakes and levers, WTB Laserbeam rear rim, Mavic 138 front rim, Oury Grips, Shimano stock cables cut from manufacturer.` Kenda Kinetic tires. Irc Inner Tubes, Connix Chain, VP 136 Pedals, Gaerne Evolution Shoes, Tioga Alchemy Headset, Connix Bearing clamp. Should be enough....ohh yeah, Netti Assault DH Full Face helmet...

Submitted by Mike Kelly a cross-country rider from Fredericksburg, Va.

Date Reviewed: January 6, 1999

Bottom Line:

This is a continuation of my ordeal with Mongoose. The NX8.5 was sent as good faith on a warranty claim for a broken swing arm on a VRS3.0. It took 16 weeks to resolve the claim. I rode the NX8.5 Hard for 6 months, at times in the GW National Forest. I ride an average of 10 times per month. averaging aboiut 10 miles per ride.....Nothing fancy. I hammer OK, but I'm no super extreme rider. On December 23 I was crossing a dry stream bed when I went OTB and hit my head on a slow speed log crossing. I was knocked out. Multiple concussions to the head and I'm off the bike for three weeks for evaluation to my brain...Head injuries are not to be taken lightly. Something didn't feel right just as I tried to cross the log, but two weeks later I noticed that the swingarm had cracked at the pivot/ pinch clamp. I remember that I tried to shift to my middle chain ring before I tried the log crossing, but I got drive train lock. I was unable to get to the proper gear, and now I wonder if it isn't because of the swing arm making contact with the crank arm......Which is how I found the crack over the weekend while cleaning the bike.......
Mongoose Needs to get their sh*t together (READ BRUNSWICK!) because they have serious design flaws. I am a 32 year old professional with lots of time and money to spend chasing this down. They better hope I check out ok with my Neurosurgeon! This is frame number two in 6 months period of time......H-E-L-L-O!!!!!! Mongoose do you hear me? The bike is currently at a shop for review for a warranty claim.....Poor quality Mongoose.....Poor, Poor Quality......One chili is too much.....Hey Mongoose, You guys gonna take another 16 weeks to settle this claim to?