Merida Merida Dakar 670 1999 Cr Mo Frameset

4.75/5 (4 Reviews)

Merida Merida Dakar 670, 1999 Cr Mo

Submitted by Sandor Nagy a Cross Country Rider from Balatonalmadi, Hungary, Europe

Date Reviewed: June 6, 2007

Strengths:    cromo frame... unbreakable, strong, flexible, durable, retro style :) durable painting, nice black-orange.

Weaknesses:    heavy, but this is one of its strength -> massive
doesn't have rear disc brake mounting point. must do it at home.

Bottom Line:
I like it, and never be for sale :) Try to get one.

Purchased At:   fleamarket

Similar Products Used:   few noname steel, and cromo frame. 2-3 alu frame too...

Bike Setup:   full stx rc set, manitou x-vert e, hydraulic disc brake, syncros stem-handlebar (carbon), selle italya.

Submitted by Archie Brown a Cross Country Rider from Melbourne

Date Reviewed: July 1, 2005

Strengths:    Frame only? Strong, looks good, perfect geometry, inexpensive.

Weaknesses:    Heavy - as you would expect from cro-mo

Bottom Line:
Strong, strong, strong. I have dirt jumped, stair jumped, river jumped, crashed this bike into cars, posts, poles, rocks, trashed forks and running gear, put myself in crutches, bandages and hospital on a regular basis and after all that: With a wash and polish this frame would look brand new.

Favorite Trail:   Djerriwarrah

Similar Products Used:   Various steelies and aluminiums - all hardtails

Bike Setup:   My commuter: Dakar frame, deore hubs, wtb rims, racing cassette, geax hubis, CF bar and Ti stem.

Submitted by Mark a Cross Country Rider from Sydney NSW Australia

Date Reviewed: October 13, 2000

Strengths:    Unbreakable, flexible, forgiving

Weaknesses:    possibly a little heavy but what do you expect out of a cro-moly frame. But if you want to flex with the big hits then this is the trade-off you got to make

Bottom Line:
Bottom Line: "If you want a workhorse and not a showpony, then go the Dakar frame."

Since this review is about the frame, and not the entire Dakar package, I will concentrate on the cro-moly frame (because some of the components on the package need real attention, e.g., forks, brakes, etc.). This frame takes the big hits without the nagging worry that some little fracture have unearthed itself and spreading with each pedal stroke. If you want a frame that will go where you want to go, and your not a feather-light freak, then go the Dakar. Alot of the guys I ride with have alloy frames and, considering the lightness of the alloy frames, I've never found myself puffing at the rear of the pack struggling to haul a weighty frame around; I am up there with them without a hassle.

The virtues of the Dakar shine when any one of us has bitten the earth. Your aluminium framers are fussing over any possible little hairline fractures, while me and my Cro-moly vintage mates are straight back in the saddle pulling the pebbles out from under the skin. I've thrown myself and this frame into some dirty situations and this workhorse comes out without a groan.

I give the frame 4 flamers for both value and overall...don't want manufacturers thinking they have perfected anything because there's always room for improvement.

Show me an aluminium frame that can take it like cro-moly and I'll get on. In the meantime I'm riding my Dakar with confidence. Now shouldn't you get your posterior off that chair and into the saddle....because I'd sure as hell rather be riding.

Favorite Trail:   The Oaks