McMahon BUFF Frameset

4.06/5 (16 Reviews)

McMahon BUFF

Submitted by mrcbuff a Weekend Warrior from Atlanta, GA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2010

Strengths:    Still using the frameset (about 10 years)

Weaknesses:    On my second frame, had it replaced through warranty 1 year after I bought it (back in 1999)

Bottom Line:
Let's see... this suspension design came out in 1998. And now ... it has caught on at Giant and Trek. The MRC Buff has a floating pivot (on the lower shock mount): it is identical to the giant maestro and the new fuel design. This tells you that the best new thing is probably a rehash of the best old technology.
It is a shame that MRC made some bad decisions as a company back then, because they should be like Santa Cruz by now if they were still around. Bike has no pedal feedback or bob (even though the stratos shock is not platform).
My only complain is that the rear triangle does not have a disc brake tab (no disc brakes when this bike came out!). So I'm running a hybrid setup (disc up front, and magura hydraulic rim in the back). Since I probably am the only one that still rides this bike, parts are going to be scarce (I know that there was a rear triangle made with disc tabs in 2000-2001).
I still ride this bike regularly and have a blast! This was the original trail bike.

Favorite Trail:   Chicopee Woods

Purchased At:   Mcmahon Racing Corp

Similar Products Used:   Giant Reign, Trek Fuel Ex

Bike Setup:   XT, Manitou 100 mm, Stratos air/coil about 27 lbs.

Submitted by ingram a Weekend Warrior from calgary, canada

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2001

Strengths:    it rode well enough until it broke in half

Weaknesses:    it broke in half

Bottom Line:
Absolute garbage. interesting design. it was fun enough to ride while it lasted. the welds looked strong but they arent. i wasnt even doing anything large, the frame just snapped. now i have a nice pile of components, no money and nothing to ride.
i also got suckered by steve mcmahon to send him $40 for a bag of crappy bushings and screws to try and keep the bike together for a few more years. he should have just told me to save my money because the frame wouldnt last anyway.
never spend a cent on anything made by mcmahon. you will be much happier in the long run.

Purchased At:   used

Similar Products Used:   SC heckler, etc

Submitted by Jeremy Booth a Weekend Warrior from Blighty

Date Reviewed: June 17, 2001

Strengths:    Looks nice.

Weaknesses:    The welds fail if you stare at them long enough. Spend your money on something more durable, like a Turner...

Bottom Line:
The welding has just gone. This is pathetic, i've hardly ridden the damn bike. Steve where are you, your bike sucks as does your customer support. Untill now i've ridden the same rigid Orange bike, and had no problems this bike sucks.

Submitted by Art a Weekend Warrior from Pottstown, PA

Date Reviewed: June 7, 2001

Strengths:    Solid construction, excellent design (live eyelet system), good customer support (when there was a company)

Weaknesses:    "Old school" geometry, no available rear disk brake mount, funky chain line if using MRC Steely Danz cranks, no more company (MRC)

Bottom Line:
My weapon of choice for rocky, rooty, downhills. No bobbying on uphills when in granny gear. Very stiff and strong frame (straight wall 6061). "Old school" geometry makes this frameset better for technical descents rather than land speed records.

Originally got this frame in 1998 as a used factory demo for $500 + $300 for MRC Shaka Zulu double clamp fork, MRC titanium seat post and MRC Steely Danz (Great Deal!). Used the frame for 1 year and noticed a 5 mm crack on seatmast. Called Steve McMahon who told me to ship the frame in. In 3 weeks, got a new frame (1999 model with ovalized downtube and additional 2nd seatmast support), shipping included. Called him in 1999 for new bushings, found that MRC was dissolved, but he put together a "kit" which he gave me for $20.

Can't complain about customer service, but presently there is no MRC. Shame because with a new rear disk brake mount, this frame would get 5 hotties.

Favorite Trail:   French Creek

Purchased At:   Factory

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn 4 banger

Bike Setup:   Manitou Xvert Super 4", WTB headset, MRC Steely Danz cranks, Magura HS33, Stratos Helix Expert w/ 600 x 2.0 spring, Hugi hubs on Mavic 217.

Submitted by JEREMY BOOTH a Weekend Warrior from ENGLAND

Date Reviewed: May 12, 2001

Strengths:    SUPER PLUSH RIDE, LOOKS PHAT. AMAZING WELDS + ATTENTION TO DETAIL

Weaknesses:    A BIT OF A DOG TO GO UPHILL. MAYBE A BIT EXTREME FOR XCOUNTRY.

Bottom Line:
I LOVE THIS BIKE. MY OLD RIDE WAS A RIGID ORANGE SO THIS IS A NEW EXPERIENCE. IT REALLY IS A PLUSH RIDE, WITH A NICE COMFY RIDING POSITION. COULD NOT RECOMMEND THIS BIKE HIGHER. HOWEVER WHATS THE COMPANIES WEBSITE?.

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   KONA STINKY, GT LTS

Bike Setup:   PSYLO FORKS, XT FRONT AND REAR, RACE FACE CRANKS, DEANS SEATPOST.

Submitted by Captkrash a Weekend Warrior from Colorado

Date Reviewed: June 2, 2000

Strengths:    great suspension linkage. Does not bob under pedal forces. Looks great. LOOKS beafy

Weaknesses:    way to heavy for 4" of travel I snapped the seat mast off after 1 month of riding. McMahon is hard to get a hold of. The weld failed. The pivots wear quickly. definatly not the best bike out there for the money.

Bottom Line:
If My weld fail on a fairly stress free area just think what could happen around the headtube. Never again, buy something from a company that actually knows the words customer service. Save your money

Bike Setup:   White Bros dc 118, race face, XTR/Mavic 519, Helix Expert, White Ti-bar, Sram 9.0 sl

Submitted by Jason Picinotti a Weekend Warrior from Charleroi,Pa

Date Reviewed: April 25, 2000

Strengths:    Stiff,beautiful welds and craftmanship,by far the most fun to ride.

Weaknesses:    No disc brake tabs.

Bottom Line:
This bike is extremely plush without a lot of pedal induced bob. Climbs reasonably well for 6 inches of travel on both ends. My bike is at 31 lbs but it could be a lot lighter with a few part changes. The best thing about buying from a small builder is when you email them the owner emails you back, not a representative. Total first class support. Buy one of these and you will not be disappointed.

Favorite Trail:   7 Springs

Similar Products Used:   Dean Bam Bam,Cannondale Super V, Gary Fisher Level Betty, Santa Cruz Heckler.

Bike Setup:   ZZYZX fork,MRC cranks,Lots of Raceface,King,XTR,Avid brakes.

Submitted by Louis Emmons a Downhiller from Paris, KY

Date Reviewed: September 28, 1999

Strengths:
Excellent steel craftsmanship, exquisite paint job, innovative swingarm/ rear shock mount, great rear shock selection in the Stratos Helix expert. A truly tunable platform.

Weaknesses:
No intergrated rear disc brake mounts, but Steve McMahon said they would offer a new seatstay with intergrated hayes compatible disc brake mounts in late December 1999 or January 2000 for a nominal charge.

Bottom Line:
My dream bike, that everyone wants. You serious riders as well as you novice rider should take a look at the McMahon BUFF. It is a rider and Mechanics dream bike

Sheltowee trace Caverun Lake, Kentucky

more than 3 years

Cannondale Super V 1000, Giant ATX, Trek Y bike, Gary Fisher Level Betty.

McMahon BUFF Frame set with a Stratos helix expert rear shock, Manitou X vert R with 100mm travel, 55mm 25deg Kore elite stem, Race face - Head set, bottom bracket, cranks and rings. Pro taper answer 2 riser handlebar, XT brakes, Sacks wavey grip shifts 8 speed, dk platform pedels, McMahon ti seatpost, titec beserker dh saddle, xt front and rear derailleurs, spin composite wheels with irc missle 2.25 tires.

Submitted by Moon Shot, not Buff a cross-country rider from Hoboken

Date Reviewed: January 22, 1999

Bottom Line:

I've owned my Moonshot since last summer and I must say that there is simply no other FS frame at its price ($800 @ Kalo) that can compete with it. I previously owned a Heckler, which I thought was a great bike until I had the opportunity to try my friend's Turner. The Heckler's brake-induced suspension lock-out is no myth! The Turner and Moonshot float over the obstacles on technical singletrack, while the Heckler bounces all over the place when you dab at the brakes.The Moonshot performs as well as the Turner and Ellsworth Truth, the difference being that it weighs 5.75l# with the AD10, whereas the Truth weighs 5.25#. However, to save that extra 1/2#, you have to pay 2X as much. Not worth it in my book, especially since my Moonshot weighs 24.75# with my Superfly, RF Ti BB and Chris King wheelset.If I was Santa Cruz, I would start thinking about coming up with a new design, since the Heckler just cannot compete with the plushness of a 4 bar linkage design.

Submitted by Lou Emmons a racer from Paris, KY

Date Reviewed: January 18, 1999

Bottom Line:

The McMahon B.U.F.F. frameset I purchased from McMahon Racing Corporation is one of the best full-suspension bikes that I have ever rode. The rear triangle with its specially designed rear suspension is smooth and very posh. The tubes are oversized with neat welds, which tells me of high craftsmanship and attention to detail. The rear shock that comes with the bike is a Stratos Helix Expert with
4 of travel. I put a manitou X-vert R triple clamp fork on it with Shimanio XT components. The frameset also comes with a McMahon ti seatpost. With my selection of front forks and components, this frameset came to life with all the glory of a perfect full suspension bike. I would definitely recommend any one looking for a beautiful well built frame then goto McMahon Racing web page and check out the deals they have to offer. Customer service and bike knowlegde is also 5 star in my book.

Submitted by Chen a cross-country rider from Tempe, AZ

Date Reviewed: November 27, 1998

Bottom Line:

I got the Boom Shaka Frameset, their Pipe XC fork and their Steely Danz Cranks.. What I have to say that this biek is GREAT! I've tried other FS bikes and this one is up there with the best of them. Great suspension performance and is very rigid, as long as all the bolts are tight.. On the downside, the pivot bolts behind the cranks always come loose and even loc-tite wont stop em frm coming loose again after 100-200 miles...

Submitted by ROB a weekend warrior from SB,CA

Date Reviewed: August 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I OWN A BOOM SHAKA AND LOVE IT BUT I READ THESE REVIEWS AND DECIDED TO GET A BUFF BUT NOW I WANT TO RIDE TO OFTEN. THESE BIKES ARE GREAT AND I HAVE TROUBLE PUTTING THEM DOWN, EVEN NOW THAT I SET UP THE BUFF FOR FREERIDING/SUPERCROSS AND THE BOOMSHAKA FOR XC/COMMUTING. I TAKE LONG LUNCHES EVERY DAY AND HAVE TO COME UP WITH SOME EXCUSEWHY I'M LATE. I WAS SATISFIED BY THIS COMPANY WHEN I BOUGHT A BOOM SHAKA BUT NOW THAT I OWN A BUFF AS WELL I CAN'T WAIT FOR WEEKEND RIDES.

Submitted by c.v.s. a weekend warrior from orange county cal.

Date Reviewed: April 23, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have only had my B.U.F.F. for two weeks but its the best ride I have ever
owned or ridden . This rig bombs the steep and ruff D.H.stuff and still climbs well enough to let my fat ass climb them over and over again.Ive been running the six
inch linkage arms and a white bros. DC 110 .The D.C.110 lx cranks and a
riser bar are the only difference between this bike and my 23 pound hardtail
but this rig weighs 8 pounds more than the manitou F.S. topline cranked
straight bared hardtail; what gives? This thing would be an easy 5 stars if it was
only a little lighter because I can only afford one bike and I dig having some
big travel. But its still a great frame.

Submitted by Art Chang a weekend warrior from Phila, PA

Date Reviewed: April 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

Excellent frame! The plushest suspension that I ever ridden. MRC sent me the new spring (650 lbs/inch sq). for the Helix shock, and it is awesome in 6 travel form. Downhill performance for 27.5 lbs. is pretty sweet. Laterally, it is very stiff. I also have their double triple clamp fork. Great company and customer service.

Submitted by Steve a weekend warrior from Boston,MA

Date Reviewed: April 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

Buff is the Stuff!!! Excellent suspension design, I have mine down to about 26 1/2 pounds. I use it mostly for XC but is more than wothy of DH. The six inch travel option is nice for DH but way to soft for everday riding. A stiffer spring would probaly easily correct that. I use the the four inch travel plates and they are just perfect for everyday riding. Buy this bike and you will not be dissapointed. Added plus for customer service, Steve and Russell will always find time to answer your questions and concerns so give drop them a line, buy a Buff and be prepared for all the drooling your friends are going to do when you pull up on the Buff ( Big Ugly Fat F_cker ) on your next Sunday morning ride.Five stars of course!!!!

Buff Crik - anti-poonification trails?

Which section of what trail received the anti-poonification treatment by COMBA? I hear it was by Little Scraggy, but don't recall which trail. TIA.Read More »

Buff Creek camping - how is it?

looking for some close in camping this summer as wifey and I have some busy stuff going. starting to ride here and wondering how the camping is - primarily - can you get a small pop up to any of the grounds/sites? thanks in advance!Read More »

Ride buff creek tomorrow? (6/24)

I want to go for a ride tomorrow afternoon. Anyone want to join me? Might be down to ride Lair'o the bear or mt falcon, but would rather do buff creek.Read More »

Cabin rental in Buff Creek

I'm looking into the idea of renting out a couple cabins in Buffalo Creek. They are a 1 min bike ride from parking lots down by the river. I'd like to see some input on the level of interest as well as things people would like to have such as hoses to wash bikes, a fire pit, mint on the pillow etc. ... Read More »

Quick MTB overnight at Buff Creek

With all the nice weather we've had (mostly on weekdays) I decided to take on a quick mountain bike overnight at Buffalo Creek on Wednesday night. I realized that I could drive from work in a little over an hour, fit in a bit of riding before sunset, camp, and then get out and back to Denver for wor ... Read More »