Litespeed Unicoi Frameset

4.8/5 (40 Reviews)

Litespeed Unicoi

Submitted by JFrog a Cross Country Rider

Date Reviewed: July 3, 2014

Strengths:    Light, simple, and good looking classic diamond shape frame.

Weaknesses:    Flexy bottom bracket and rear end.

Bottom Line:
I have owned 2 Unicoi frames over the past 12 years - an earlier model with the rear internal spring shock, and now the later model frame with the RockShox air rear shock. The RockShox rear offers better damping and rebound control than the earlier integrated shock (which acted too much like a non-damped pogo stick).

Not good for really hard hammering. Frame is best for guys < 195lbs, because of the soft rear-end.

I am using this frame as a commuter. It is very smooth and capable with a front rack and a Surly Troll fork. The frame is designed for 80mm suspension, and the Troll fork is a 100mm design (453mm axle to crown). So, the steering and head tube angle has changed a bit. This lengthens the lever, and puts a bit more stress on the head tube, so I wouldn't use this setup for long, rough tours.
The bike is great for gravel roads and smoother single track. I prefer the simplicity of a rigid front end with this frame, as the frame has a nice ride quality.

Duration Product Used:   10 years

Bike Setup:   commuter - XTR, Surly Troll fork, CrossMax, Salsa HD lowrider front rack, fenders, Jagwire cables

Submitted by seoulriding a Cross Country Rider from sac

Date Reviewed: September 23, 2010

Strengths:    put on some paccenti 2.1 quasi moto's and some american classic 650b's....sweet

Weaknesses:    nada

Bottom Line:
sweet

Similar Products Used:   all

Bike Setup:   sweet

Submitted by Navid a Cross Country Rider from Saopaulo Brazil

Date Reviewed: November 21, 2009

Strengths:    light weight, set-up and forget bike for fast and flowing trails.

Weaknesses:    may be a tad too light.

Bottom Line:
You would think in this day and age of sub 21lb/ 5in travel duals there is no place for a titanium softail with V-brakes!!! So did I. But now I get most of my daily pleasure on board this decade old machine and love every minute of it. Just make sure you get some light v-break wheels before they become instinct and set the pads abit farther from the rim than usual, then they won't rub if you are a pedal cruncher.
Sizing is strange, small is perefct for me but usually I ride medium/large...

Favorite Trail:   any

Similar Products Used:   Airbourne lancaster/ OnOne titanium

Bike Setup:   Sid front, Race Face, xt shifters. Spinergy V-break wheels

Submitted by Greg a Cross Country Rider from Tokyo, Japan

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2005

Strengths:    light, responsive, takes anything you throw at it

Weaknesses:    none with the frame, only issues w/components

Bottom Line:
i've had this bike for six years riding throught northern ca and now in japan. handles like a dream, just enough travel in the rear for a large guy like me. only replacements have been the usual chain/cables. swapped out xt brakes for xtr (yes, still v-brakes), next on agenda is new crank (current xt) and drivetrain. recommendations on the these would be most appreciated, do prefer grip shift tho. great bike for any xc/fr rider even solid on the downhill, just not jumping boulders in colorado.

Similar Products Used:   bridgestone mb-1, voodoo wanga, santa cruz heckler

Bike Setup:   mavic ceramic, xtr brakes, sram esp 9.0sl grip shift easton post, kore stem

Submitted by Siddo a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: April 20, 2004

Strengths:    Mega quality build, perfect balance between flex and rigidity- absolutely the very best there is! Looks awesome too.

Weaknesses:    Cost, cost and cost

Bottom Line:
If you want to go fast, this is it. I only wished I'd had one of these when I used to race. Makes all those Aluminium hardtails seem so primitive. Really is the perfect balance, accelerates like a hardtail, but never punishes you when you get it wrong (my back never felt so good). Got my '03 model in the sales for £1000 (frame and headset), still expensive but RRP £1850?- although it's fabulous, it still seems awful pricey. Five flaming chillis for performance (would give ten if I could). If you can get one for sensible cash - DO IT!!!!!

Similar Products Used:   Nothing similar, but Klein Adroit, Sunn Exact, Manitou HT, various Cannondale, Specialized and Trek rubbish

Bike Setup:   Pace pro class, XTR, Crossmax, Thomson

Submitted by Dragula a Cross Country Rider from N.S.

Date Reviewed: March 13, 2003

Strengths:    Strong & Beautiful,Lite weight. Impecable materials/welding
Clean traditional look no psuedotechnocrap
Superior warranty.Comparatively affordable without a compromise
You truely DO GET what you pay for!

Weaknesses:    This bike has idiosyncrasies but they only add to the mystery that is "UNICOI".

Bottom Line:
Some people want sharks with frickin laser beams on the tops of their heads, I wanted the ULTIMATE XC machine ever. That is what this bike delivers every ride. It doesn't make me a better rider but it does make my rides better. "Unlimited" is the adjective one should use to descride the experience.

Unicoi is an acronim for Unlimited Necro-Intelectual-Corporeal Off-road Intimacy. If you think you own or have ridden a better bike you are DREAMING. Pinch yourself and buy one.

"Denn die Todten reiten schnell"
B. Stoker

Favorite Trail:   Coastal

Purchased At:   BicyclesPlus Bedford, N.S.

Similar Products Used:   Similar Products Tried: Been riding MTB's since before the debate began about what to call them. 23 years on mtb,

Bike Setup:   Bike Setup: Syncros, Mavic Ceramic with XTR, Avid arch5.0 & Avid Ti. Levers,Flite (custom), SID xc 80mm, XTR with Carmichael Ti. Jockey wheels & more...(does it matter? cause it don't make it faster.)

Submitted by Justin from Raleigh , NC

Date Reviewed: March 24, 2002

Strengths:    Smooth Ti ride. Great build quality. Lifetime warranty. Adjustable rear shock. Good customer service.

Weaknesses:    Instructions on setting up the rear shock would have been good. Rockshox has the users guide on their website but it seems to be more gears towards longer travel.

Bottom Line:
Bike didn't come with any docs but a quick call to LS and they gave me some tips on setting up the rear shock (guy I talked to weighed about the same as me and had a Unicoi too!).

MUCH smoother then my AL hardtail. Ti + softtail really is a great weight/comfort compromise.

Overall, I think this is the best XC bike money can buy...at least for the rooty trails around Raleigh.

Favorite Trail:   Snowshoe, WV

Purchased At:   JensonUSA

Similar Products Used:   My trusty AL Voodoo (R.I.P.) hardtail.

Bike Setup:   SID front and rear. Raceface crank. King HS. Mostly XT.

Submitted by Winglo a Weekend Warrior from Ca

Date Reviewed: December 17, 2001

Strengths:    Feel light and resposive,

Weaknesses:    The decal(stick on lable) seems a little cheap. How about silk screening?

Bottom Line:
Great frame at a great price, on sale!!!

Purchased At:   CC

Similar Products Used:   Vortex

Bike Setup:   XT, psylo SL

Submitted by duh huh a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: October 29, 2001

Strengths:    Great choice for X country riding, works well on road too. Frame finish and welds are absolutely stunning, makes all those other Ti frames look like crap. Stiff enough with a little give for roots and rocks. Raw Ti frame is easy to clean, permits repair of minor scratches and blemishes.

Weaknesses:    Awfully expensive. Bide your time and get a deal. 2001 model has complicated air shock, no instructions supplied by litespeed, maybe spring/elastomer is the better idea (no pump or mechanical engineering degree required)

Bottom Line:
I love it. Maybe a LS Ti road bike in my future (soon as I pull that bank job).

Purchased At:   eBay

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale CAD3 rigid frame with Al fork!!! - must be why I like my Unicoi so much.

Submitted by Jonathan a Cross Country Rider from Georgia

Date Reviewed: April 4, 2001

Strengths:    This bike is incredibly light and stiff. It provides just enough travel in rear to take the edge off.

Weaknesses:    It's not cheap. I bought mine as a complete bike on closeout and got a wonderful deal.

Bottom Line:
This is a wonderful bike. It's incredibly light, and stiff in all the right ways. I'm 190 and haven't had any problems with flex in the seat stay area.
If you're thinking about buying this bike, wait and look for a sale. I can't imagine spending $3,000 plus for the complete bike. It's a great bike, but not that great.
I gave it five for value because of the deal I got on it.

Favorite Trail:   House O' Dreams

Purchased At:   River City Cycles, Chattanooga, TN

Similar Products Used:   Owned or tested bikes from Schwinn, Trek, Cannondale, Specialized, and Klein.

Bike Setup:   XT/LX drivetrain, XT brakes, Easton handlebars, Control Tech stem and seatpost, Sid XC, nuke proof hubs, mavic rims, hutchinson python gold tires

Submitted by George a Cross Country Rider from Carbondale, Colorado

Date Reviewed: April 15, 2000

Strengths:    Best price for Ti soft-tail. Lifetime warranty, free SID, great welds and nice forgiving ride. Superb climbing on technical sections (Crested Butte, Moab & Aspen). Recommend for racers, day trippers and XC riders in rocky areas.

Weaknesses:    Not as chi-chi as a Moots, but I saved $700 and my Rockshox SID XC was free.

Bottom Line:
The Unicoi is a great light soft-tail. My previous hardtail prevented me from keeping up with the FS bikers on the big downhills, but now I can hang with most FS bikers on the downhills and smoke them on the uphills. I highly recommend this bike, but expect to get "craap" from the Moots and Merlin crowd...be fit enough to smoke em on the uphill!

Favorite Trail:   Hunter Creek to 4 Corners to Enchanted Forest

Similar Products Used:   Moots YBB (loved the ride, but not the price)

Bike Setup:   SID XC, Mavic Ceramic Rims, XTR brakes, mix of XT/LX, Ti BB

Submitted by Dragula a Cross Country Rider from Halifax N.S.

Date Reviewed: March 18, 2000

Strengths:    Lite weight. Impecable materials/welding
Clean traditional look no psuedotechnocrap
Superior warranty and not a moots Y Buy ME
Comparatively affordable without a compromise
You truely DO GET what you pay for!

Weaknesses:    A little pricy for the average Johnny Punchclock.
Bottom bracket flex may be objectionable to some.(little)
Linsky knows his stuff BUT the signature decal is over the top.(Acetone and it evaporates)If you're listening David get over it.

Bottom Line:
Listen to me now believe me later. Unicoi is an acronim for Ultimate Neo Industrial Canadian Off-road Insanity. If you think you own or have ridden a better bike your should SERIOUSLY consider psychotherapy. Unless, you are already aware that genital compensation and uterous envy are a bad combination. I have owned all materials and hit the high points of the manufacturers and this is simply the best. Better than all the rest. Better than any bike I've even met.
Ultra smooth on small to medium hits.
Zero drive induced lash or Biopacing.(any bike that you want to lock out has this)
Very lite.
Finish bombproof. (paint is used to hide imperfection. or for Fashionphyles)
Pivots are great if you need more travel but any pivot wears and this bike doesn't. (And that creaking one gets from worn pivots never begins at the end of an epic day. squeak creak)
Truely the bottom line is this: Litespeed has poineered the adequate travel, ultra naughty, svelte, cross country bike. People who write poor reviews of this bike are A:Expecting the bike to make them fitter or B:Wishing they owned one.
P.S. Lightweight in cycling shall now and forever be spelled LITEspeed.

Favorite Trail:   Coastal

Similar Products Used:   Been riding MTB's since before the debate began about what to call them. 19 years on mtb, first bike MX Leader dual suspension 20" wheels. 11.5 years in the bizz.

Bike Setup:   Syncros,Mavic Ceramic, Avid arch5.0 adapted to xt servowave (ouch),Flite (custom), SID xc 80mm, more...(does it matter? cause it don't make it faster.)

Submitted by Mike McDonald a Cross-Country Rider from Aliso Viejo, CA

Date Reviewed: January 7, 2000

Strengths:
Light Weight
Price

Weaknesses:
WAY WAY WAY too much flex in rear end

Bottom Line:
I was so happy when I first got this frame and built it up. Then I rode it. It handled well, and felt pretty plush, but the rear stays were flexing so hard that the tire (a skinny 1.9 XC tire) was rubbing hard on one chainstay to the other. It also felt really weird. This was happening on slow rooty single track. I weigh 185 pounds, and maybe it just wasn't meant for guys my weight. The price is nice, but now I own a Moots YBBeat, and belive me when i say that the extra couple of bucks is worth it. The Moots gets 5.75 chilis, and the Litespeed gets 2.

Noble Canyon

3 months

Moots YBB
Ibis Silk Ti

Submitted by Jody F a Cross-Country Rider from Gatlinhell, TN

Date Reviewed: October 13, 1999

Strengths:
Ride, Ride, Ride, craftsmanship weight titanium, my dream bike

Weaknesses:
Are you kidding?

Bottom Line:
Holy Cow! Flat out amazing bike. I got it used, took it home and stripped it, Scotch Brited the thing and voila, a brand new XT Unicoi for $1475. I have only ridden it once and that was with the stock build kit- can't wait to ride it w/ my Bomber. It easily outclimbed my old duallie and felt just as good on the downhills. I can't imagine ever wanting another bike. I am 5'8 and went with the 16.5 and am glad I did. It steers much quicker (but not too quick) than my Med Heckler did, love that shorter wheelbase and lower BB. I will update after I have had more time on the thing.

Secret- Ketchum Idaho

less than 1 month

Santa Cruz Heckler, lots of steel hardtails

Came w/ XT, Judy XC etc- I am swapping out stuff from my other ride.

Submitted by Shaun a Racer from Toronto Canada

Date Reviewed: October 12, 1999

Strengths:
Lack of Maintenance
Virtally a hardtail
Immaculate craftmanship

Weaknesses:
Lack of shock instruction from Litespeed (frame shock maintenance)

Bottom Line:
If you can afford this bike it has the greatest smoothness to wieght ratio of any softtail

3 months

cromo hardtails
Litespeed Ultimate road

Judy SL
XT
CrossMax

Unicoi race injured rider -- anyone know his status?

A racer was injured at Unicoi GA yesterday. Does anyone know if he is going to be OK?Read More »

Rode Unicoi -- my first time actually MOUNTAIN biking!

I am planning to do a race at Unicoi near Helen GA later this summer, so went up there to practice. I had a [U]great[/U] time. The trails are mostly on logging roads with very little singletrack, but very scenic and a great workout! I am not used to that much climbing, hadn't ridden in nearly ... Read More »

Unicoi State Park in Helen, GA??

Can anybody tell me about Unicoi State Park in Helen, GA?? How are the trails? Fun, fast or techy? How are the climbs? Any opinions?Read More »

1" Rear Shock - Softail (Unicoi)

Hello all, Did some searches - but cannot find if this has been discussed before? Hopefully someone can help: Looking at bringing a 2001 Litespeed UNicoi back to life. Problem is - I have no rear shock for it. I believe it was originally a Rock Shox 1" Sid - but think a Cane Creed AD-5( ... Read More »

Litespeed Unicoi <-> Moots YBB compatible

I am looking for replacement coil spring and elastomer for my Litespeed Unicoi. Does someone know whether the Moots YBB parts are compatible with the Litespeed Unicoi rear damper? Thanks,Read More »