Litespeed Tsali Frameset

4.8/5 (5 Reviews)

Litespeed Tsali

Submitted by Zen a Cross Country Rider from Saskatoon, SK. Canada

Date Reviewed: July 6, 2001

Strengths:    Awesome looking frame. Great Geometry for my size 14.5. Had bought a disk break adapter but did not fit correctly, called Litespeed talked to Collins Bishop. Awesome guy, even called me at home to make sure everything was alright. Hope to get the disk break adapter soon to stick on my disks. This is my version of the perfect trailbike, not too much travel, simple design.

Weaknesses:    Some squeeking in the rear shock, but advice from my fellow mtbr's has remedied that problem.

Bottom Line:
Awesome bike, I got a deal on every part of my bike. If I were to buy every part of my bike retail it would of cost me about $6000, but I managed to get the whole thing set up with disk brakes for about $2500 and full xtr. I am riding this at the 24hrs of Adrenalin and I believe that I am ready for anything. I will tell you how the bike handles after the marathon.

Purchased At:   internet

Similar Products Used:   Titus Racer X, Cannondale Team Sobe, Cannondale F700

Bike Setup:   2000 Tsali 14.5 frame, Ti stem, headset seatpost, bars, and saddle. Full XTR 9spd. Magura Louise disk brakes, Spinergy Cyclone disk wheels, Conti tires, and Time pedals.

Submitted by Robert Woudenberg a Racer from Saddle Brook

Date Reviewed: October 18, 2000

Strengths:    Same as the positive things others are saying. The suspension works best if you modify it to get 19mm travel at the stanchion and use the soft red spring. It is not an instantly satisfying bike but if you are a racer the bike feels nearly perfect once you are warmed up and flying. I am 6'2" and 180 lbs and I have won many 35+ expert races. The suspension is 75% as plush as a USE seatpost but is very responsive and gives excellent trail feedback.

Weaknesses:    Mine had no travel when new and it was a major hassel comunicating with thier warrenty dept. They simply don't listen or answer your questions. They really give you no respect. The bike was repaired by twisting the spring pivot but they will not admit this. The bottle on the seattube makes solid contact with the downtube. So if you are using a say niterider battery in the seatube bottle holder you will dent the downtube. A cheap fix for this would be for a custom water bottle holder but they refuse to answer e-mails and want me to bring the frame in to be checked out. I will really make them fix this when my racing season is over. I have seen this problem on many other litespeed mtbs as well but most people dont complain.

Bottom Line:
It is a very impressive looking bike that inspires confidence.If they had better warrenty service I would have nothing to complain about. The Moots is built with more love. If you decide on a litespeed check out all the stupid stuff like water bottle placement,Frame width for the cantis frame alignment and any other accesory mounting very carefully.They really suck if you need to get it fixed.

Favorite Trail:   Ringwood NJ

Price Paid:    $1900.00

Purchased At:   Strictly Bicycles Fort Lee

Similar Products Used:   Rode a stock Moots and it felt as good as mine did (with modifacations). I did not notice any more BB flex on the moots than with my tsali and the water bottle holrs were in the right place. I wish I got the moots instead.

Bike Setup:   26" monkey bars with negative rise stem to give same hight as a flat bar with 0 stem. SST saddle (a must) full xtr including seatpost and ceramic rims with sid. Just over 23 lbs without bottle holders and 550 gram tires(21" frame) 24+ with race tools.

Submitted by shreddr a Racer from new jersey

Date Reviewed: September 6, 1999

Strengths:
gorgeous tubes, flawless welds, massive 6-4 downtube, 6-4 bb shell and dropouts

Weaknesses:
im not sure the decals will go the distance

Bottom Line:
Ridin and racing for 12 years, have broken everything, aluminum, steel, carbon fiber but never owned ti! This bike has the sweetest ride I have ever experienced. If it holds up I have found my true love at last, BTW Discs Rule!!! 6*

allamuchy mt s.p.

less than 1 month

this is a softtail, not a f.s. my first ever but have had many f.s bikes, GT, Schwinn, AMP

White Bros SC92UL, CrossMax disc wheels, Hayes discs front & rear, race face BB, crankset, XTR the rest

Submitted by Mike Alstatt a Racer from Mesquite Tx

Date Reviewed: August 14, 1999

Strengths:
lots for your money
innovative design

Weaknesses:
cheap decals

Bottom Line:
This awesome frame is heavy duty,stiff in the bb,Litespeed gives you a lot for the heavy price tag. Massive,radically ovalized 6/4 Ti down tube is probably the most expensive in the industry.Perfect for those who are hard on frames,yet want some softening of the ride.Excellent on small bumps and fast trails,but it is more like a hard tail than a full suspension.Nimble and feels awesome

Big Bend State Park

3 months

kona fs dean ht

magura Johnny T brakes,
race face crank,bb,stem,seatpost white ind hubs,rynolite rims,xtr der.,simply the best bike ever

Submitted by Robert Owen a Racer from St. George, UT

Date Reviewed: May 31, 1999

Strengths:
Ride Quality
Build Quality
Low Maintenance Design
Lifetime Warranty
Titanium's Abillity to Absorb Harshness
Litespeed's Experience and Longevity

Weaknesses:
Price

Bottom Line:
This is the perfect race bike if you're riding fast, bumpy terrain. It allows you to pedal while seated without robbing you of power like a longer travel bike. The only time I wish I was on a longer travel FS bike is slow, technical stuff with big drops. Then I'll ride my Cannondale Super-V. The frame is light for FS, very comfortable, and I'm faster on it than on my old Cannondale CAD3 hardtail, both climbing and descending. I've added the optional elastiomer, and cut off 5 mm so the last bit of travel is a bit dampened. I was launched off the saddle with the full length elastiomer. Compared to a longer travel bike, this is a sports car...you feel every bump, but you're not jarred or thrown off course by them. Control and therefore confidence are excellent. If you can afford one, you won't regret buying it!

I'm not telling

3 months

Cannondale Hardtail and FS. Schwinn HT and FS.

Mazocchi Superfly
King HS and Hubs
LP Composites Bar, Barends and Post
Flite Saddle
Bontrager Valiant Rims
Mythos XC Tires
XTR Drivetrain (Mega 9)

Anyone Hiked/Ridden Tsali this week?

Have plans to spend a long weekend there but...... I'm not riding the Bent Creek/DuPont trails this week due to the wetness. Did Tsali get the same amount. Will they be ridable (without destroying them) by Friday?Read More »

Tsali this holiday weekend

How does Tsali hold up with the rain? I'm in town for the long weekend and had planned to ride it. Any thoughts or recommendations? ThanksRead More »

Tsali trail advice

I ride a lot at Bent Creek, but I haven't been to Tsali yet. Can anyone give advice on which trail and which direction would be best for an "experienced beginner"?Read More »

Road Trip to Tsali this weekend

[URL="http://vimeo.com/66530303"]Tsali-5-2013[/URL] from [URL="http://vimeo.com/morgan48"]Clay Morgan[/URL] on [URL="http://vimeo.com"]Vimeo[/URL].Read More »

Tsali advice

I live in NE Atlanta and it's only about 2.5 hours to Tsali. I've never ridden there but I hear great things. I'm hoping someone can answer a few questions. - Where exactly is the trailhead parking area? - I see that the trails alternate in pairs by day for which are horse and which are mo ... Read More »