Litespeed Owl Hollow Frameset

MSRP : $1925.00

Litespeed Owl Hollow

Submitted by steveo a Cross Country Rider from pittsburgh

Date Reviewed: September 4, 2003

Strengths:    light, strong, stiff, forgiving. The bike climbs super well and is super quick and nimble.

Weaknesses:    A little sketchy on high speed decents and a little rough through rock gardens, but it is a cross country hardtail, duh.

Bottom Line:
Pretty much built this bike in 00' with the help of MTBR reviews, thought I'd return the favor. This bike rules. Had a xfly 100 on it but felt a bit sluggish. Compared to the full suspension, it definitely requires more rider attention/skill. The payoff is reliability and overall superior speed through 90% of what I ride(singletrack); probably because of weight and handling. Less time hosing with shocks and pivots means more time on the trail. Gotta admit though, the fs is fun.

Purchased At:   speedgoat

Similar Products Used:   Jamis, diamond back arrival, bridgestone mb2, now have a db xsl beater.

Bike Setup:   Marzocchi xfly 80, sram 9, king/valiant wheels, thudbuster, easton monkey carbon, kenda klaw rear and panaracer front.

Submitted by Dave from Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: May 2, 2002

Strengths:    -indestructible
-stiff but not harsh
-brushed ti looks nice

Weaknesses:    -heavy for a frame that costs more than some complete bikes
-it was replaced by the Kitsuma, now that model is discontinued as well
-expensive (but a good investment in the long run)

Bottom Line:
It's a frame built to go fast. The 6/4 downtube is the real star of this tubeset. Where it meets the bottom bracket, it basically spans the whole thing - it's not going to flex. So what you have is a bike with the nice ride of ti, but not flexy like some small tube ti frames can be. Mine is built with the lightest parts I consider "safe", and weighs 19.9 pounds. Unfortunately, the frame isn't made anymore. :( Once in a while one comes up on ebay. Expect to pay a minimum of $600 to $700 for a used frame, and anywhere from $1200 up for a NOS one.

Bike Setup:   Ti bar, ti stem, ti skewers, ti pedals, ti BB, ti pulleys, ti bolts, SIDney, RaceLite, carbon cranks, Ride-on cables

Submitted by Stephen Burton a Racer from New Zealand

Date Reviewed: July 26, 2001

Strengths:    Reasonable weight, amazing ride, bombproof frame, with durable finish, attention to detail, appearance!!

Weaknesses:    They don't make it anymore!

Bottom Line:
If doctors could provide an operation that made a bike part of you they would simply provide you with an Owl Hollow. I love riding this bike it is light, comfortable, (especially with the Spox wheels) handles well and has made me a better rider the day I got on it. I have to work very hard to find anything that I can moan about, but here they are. THe first thing of concern was that I have bent the, non replacable 6/4 drop out several times. Everytime this happened I was concerned, although it was easily corrected and appears none the worse for wear (after 3 years and 10+ corrections). I nevertheless contacted Litespeed about it they said it wouldn't be a warranty item which worried me more. But three years of savage NZ riding and numerous corrections and the drop out still looks like new has put my mind at rest. Other minor issues: the top tube is kinda short and the steering angle fairly steep, especially compared to my last steed, (Giant MCM), this makes it a very aggressive bike. Designed to go fast all the time. It makes it excellent through tight single track, fast in and power out. But can make it a little nervous on fast rutted fireroads, although the super smooth ride helps offset that a little. Also gotta use Tiprep grease in the headset or put up with creaks that will drive you crazy! But overall after three+ years and a hell of a thrashing including madman trails in the Southamerican Andes, and wearing out a complete set of XTR, I'm still loving it!!
I can only give a NZ$4500 frame 5 flamin chillis coz I know it is going to last longer than I do!

Favorite Trail:   Takesi Trail - Bolivia

Price Paid:    $2000.00

Purchased At:   Four Seasons Cycles NZ

Similar Products Used:   Giant MCM Monoqoque Carbon, Treck 9900, Avanti (NZ) Competitor, KHS Team,

Bike Setup:   Originally complete '98 XTR with Judy SL's Syncros ti seatpost, syncros Cattlehead stem, Azonic Bars, Spinnergy Spox wheels. Now with Manitou Mars (bad fork) and Gripshift 9.0SL.

Submitted by Eric Jones a Cross Country Rider from Baltimore Co, MD

Date Reviewed: August 31, 2000

Strengths:    Incredible ride quality, durability to last me into my 30's (17 now), superior craftsmenship, fits me well, love the color and decals.

Weaknesses:    The rear brake posts were loose, but that's hardly a weakness since it could be tightened up with a 9mm wrench easily.

Bottom Line:
I took a trip out to CO a couple of years ago and rode a full suspension. Within 2 weeks, I got a Specialized FSR which I upgraded over the years. I finally replaced every piece except for the frame. Then I began to get tired of the bobbing motion of the full suspension design. I couldn't keep up on group rides, and was having a hell of a time on the uphills. I wanted to switch to hardtail so I could build my skills, and get the speed I desired. Naturally I wanted to upgrade to the best quality of frame I could, so I looked at Titanium. I work in a bike shop that deals Litespeed, and it wasn't long before I was checking out the pro-deal information they offer. I took my summer money and purchased the frame at an excellent price, then used the shop's tools to switch over all my old components. I had to buy a new seatpost and bottom bracket, but it wasn't that big a deal with my discount. As soon as it got together I've been taking it out quite frequently, and am amazed at the ride. It's going to take some time getting used to the transition from full suspension, but I don't see how this amazing, high-quality frame could ever fail me. Five chilis for many years of riding bliss to come.

Favorite Trail:   Loch Raven area

Purchased At:   Employee Purchase @ Horizon Cycles

Similar Products Used:   Have never ridden anything like it.

Bike Setup:   Rox Shox SID 100, Chris King headset, Race Face stem, Easton Carbon bar, full Shimano XTR, WTB Laser Beam rims, Thompson seatpost

Submitted by William from Baton Rouge, LA

Date Reviewed: April 12, 2000

Strengths:    rides like a dream, looks good all the time, fits me

Weaknesses:    people gauck at its beauty,

Bottom Line:
I'm 6'5" and needed a bike w/a top tube to match. Liked the ride of steel, and wanted a bike for life. It ain't cheap, but I't will last longer than an Al bike. The ride is identical to my Tange Prestige Stumpjumper '94, good dampening. The difference is in the down tube. It flexes little if any and there by provides efficient power transfer.

It's a beauty, 22" of Ti lovin'. Strong too the frame has smacked some rocks w/ not even a scratch to show for it.

Face it, it takes a certain person to buy a Ti hardtail, espically w/fullsuspension getting soo much better, but if you want a bike that is built to last and are a little bit on the old school side Litespeed it the way to go. The initial cost is high, but maintenance is non existant; think about owning a full suspension bike for 5 years+

Ride that donkey... All day long!!!

Favorite Trail:   Clear Springs Mississippi

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper (tange prestige not the M2)

Bike Setup:   XTR, syncros, Spinergy Spox, Sid w/ englund air and AC bolt on crown/steerer

Submitted by Weeli a Cross-Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: July 27, 1999

Strengths:
Strong,lightweight,cool looking, mean looking.

Weaknesses:
High standover height. Very stiff.

Bottom Line:
Not the most comfortable bike but certainly the best for fast racing. Handling is quick and excellent power transfer due to its stiffness. After more than 2 years of racing the Owl (1997 model) it still excite me to ride it everytime and everywhere.

Bukit Timah

2 Years

Klein Adriot

XTR, Crossmax, Judy, Chris King, Specialized Dirt Control/Master, Selle Italia Radius, Modollo stem, Paul brakes, Syncros bar, Dean Ti seatpost.

Submitted by Chris Brown a Weekend Warrior from Albq NM

Date Reviewed: May 27, 1999

Strengths:
Lightweight, strong, quick handling

Weaknesses:

Bottom Line:
This bike rocks! The lightweight, quick handling and supple fork make this thing an absolute blast to ride fast. It is a lot of money for one of these, but once you have spent some time on one you will be glad you spent the bucks. I give it 5 flaming dead mice!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cedro,

3 months

Cannondale Delta V 1000

Full XTR group, Manitou SX Carbon Fork, Mavic 517, Litespeed handlebar, ControlTech seatpost & stem

Submitted by Mike Edge a Cross-Country Rider from Palm Beach, Florida

Date Reviewed: May 16, 1999

Strengths:
Supple, light and well made

Weaknesses:
Price

Bottom Line:
Rode fast over tree roots like I was on my full suspension (well, darned nearly), charging across rough terrain like a supercharged mountain goat. This is when you realize what the money really bought..!!

Lane of Pain, Loxahatchee

less than 1 month

Mongoose Comp SX
Jamis Dakar Pro

SID XC front shock, full XTR groupo, Chris King headset, White titanium bars, Ibis titanium stem, Dean titanium post, Selle Italia Turbo Tri-matic saddle,Sun Rhyno Lite on Chris King hubs, Geax rubbers, Ritchie logic brake pads

Submitted by Clint Roberts a cross-country rider from Arlington, TX

Date Reviewed: July 13, 1998

Bottom Line:

Well, I have had my 18 1998 Litespeed Owl Hollow with all XT, Judy SL LT, Control tech stem (105mm, 5degree rise), Control tech seatpost, and Control tech stubbies (If you haven't seen the stubbies take a look at them) for about a week now. It is a great bike. Some reviewers said this is the stiffest frame, well apparently they have not ridden a Klein Adroit 9aluminum). Anyway, I am not complaining. My titanium Litespeed is a dream to ride compared to the Klein. Stiff enough yet supple in the rough. I also had trouble getting the right height to top tube length. My new bike is considerably taller than my Klein but has the same top tube. I also shortened the stem for quicker steering. Other than that I have a beatiful piec of titanium machinery at a great price. Thanks Chris and Beth at www.speedgoat.com and also thanks everyone and mtbr for posting this list. I got my bike at a great discount.

Submitted by michael hsu from austin

Date Reviewed: July 4, 1998

Bottom Line:

I applaud skepticalguy...clap,clap. as consumers we can only better the equip. we use by being skeptical and objective in its evaluation, considering the amount of hype that is at times prevalent in our sport. in response to skepticalguy ( who i will refer to as SG) the 2mm was my measurement with calipers from a new and confirmed true speedmax down at my LBS, we measured from the surface of the rim in more than one location to the center of the boss (sans brake), believe it or not one can see this just in the manner the v-brake arms are off to one side, 2mm is almost 1/8...pull your v-brake arms 1/8 to one side and tell me you can't see the difference. the frame was sent back to speedgoat (thanks again Chris) and measured and confirmed out of alignment, he then was authorized by litespeed with an RA. in my conversations with Eric in returns at litespeed he confirmed my, my LBS and Speedgoats findings and fixed it to the best of their ability... he admitted that it was more than 1.5mm out of center and also found the rear dropouts out of their manf. tolerences... they did not replace the frame because the dimensions still fell into tolerences which they could fix by resetting the rear end on a table. i'll quote eric at litespeed ....your frame is out of alignment, it should not have been shipped like this, we'er not sure how it happened i received my frame last week and it rides like it has wings...my advice is not to not buy litespeed (they came thru with honest and quality service) but to be skeptical before and after the sale. based on the service and the superb ride i am again a happy biker...5 for 5

Submitted by michael hsu a racer from austin

Date Reviewed: July 4, 1998

Submitted by SkepticalGuy a cross-country rider from Boston, MA

Date Reviewed: June 26, 1998

Bottom Line:

Micheal Hsu (2 reviews below me), you say that you've noticed that your Owl Hollow frame is VISIBLY out of alignment. I question the validity of your claim. How sensitive is your vision to notice that the brake bosses are 2mm offset to one side? Two millimeters is a very small length to pick up visually. You must have very sharp eyes to have noticed this. You're further claims of the brake arches and rear dropouts being incorrectly aligned is questionable since you seem to say you have only visually inspected the frame. What you say would probably hold more weight if you presented more objective data to show that Litespeed's quality control was deficient in the manufacure of your frame.You also claim that you've bought Taiwanese-made Trek frames that are better aligned than the Litespeed. This is quite a strong statement. Have you taken those frames and carefully measured all parameters to see if they are accurate or did you again simply visually inspect your frames and then come up with your conclusions? I hesitate to believe your claims based on your unconvincing substantiations. However, I am happy to hear that despite all these errors in construction that you've noticed, your Litespeed still rides phenomenally.

Submitted by MARSHALL a racer from San Diego

Date Reviewed: June 25, 1998

Bottom Line:

They still need to add a catagory!As an update to my previous post, this frame continues to just plain kick ass!Anyway ...I blasted out my Manitou fork, so there's a Marazocchi ZI up front right now. Not the lightest thing in the world, but it makes riding over things real fast pretty easy.It goofs up the geometry some, but I only notice on really tight singletrack. You can ride this frame with a long travel fork, but I give it a 70% recommendation. Not really point and shoot anymore, but blast in at warp 10 and then wheel drift. It works fine but it's unnerving.A hot frame! Get one! Like mentioned, it accelerates like being shot from a cannon, and comes down hill scary fast.Still a zillion chile ride!

Submitted by michael hsu from racer

Date Reviewed: June 21, 1998

Bottom Line:

yes, yes all the ti superlatives as stated below are true, stiff, responsive and quite honestly value packed considering the 6/4 tubing and shaping. BUT BEWARE, i built up my new 98 hardtail and was shocked to find that the frame was visibly out of alignment. on a block the brake bosses were 2mm offset to one side, the rear dropouts were out of true and the brake arch wasn't level...litespeed needs to work on their quality control...no MSRP $1925 ti frame should leave the plant with alignment like this...weeks later still no frame. I'll update you on how their cold-setting skills measure up. I've bought low end Taiwanese Treks with better alignment. Needless to say the ride is phenomenal but in my mind their quality and rider oriented image is tarnished.

Submitted by Steve Hartman a cross-country rider from Fayetteville, NC

Date Reviewed: June 17, 1998

Bottom Line:

I recently bought a Owl Hollow hard tail, and it is simply the best bike I have ever ridden, period. The down tube is massive and makes for the stiffest frame ever. To give you an idea, I really never knew what people ment by a stiff frame. I mean I understood the concept but all the bikes I ever had and friends bikes I've ridden I really didn't notice any real noticeable difference, until I stood on this bike to sprint. When you crank on it the bike litterally surges forward. It's almost scary. Add this to its ability to corner and you can easily find yourself going faster than you ever have before or faster than your abilities will allow on some terrain.
Then you can get into how cool the frame is to look at. It's literally a work of art. I find myself going into the garage just to stare at it when I'm not riding it. If you like hardtails, and your thinking of dropping around $1500 if you shop around, get this frame. Its a dream bike that will spoil you on anything else. I don't even think or riding my C-dale Super V now, oh well. By far a spooky bike if you ever ride one, you just won't believe the difference in this frame compared to any other frame you ever seen or ridden.

Litespeed Owl Hollow

Hello, I volunteer for a food bank that was given an Owl Hollow as a donation to sell. I'm a road biker and don't know much about Litespeeds, titanium and mountain bikes. We need to sell the bike and want to make our dollar go as far as it can while giving someone a reasonable deal. You know ... Read More »

Info on the owl hollow

Looking for thoughts on the Owl Hollow. I am consider getting a used one, but notice they only made this for a few years and then switched to the Kitsuma. Thoughts on the bike or why they switched? Thanks for your feedback.Read More »

Owl Hollow XTR BB Width

I am wanting to fit a 1997 Owl Hollow with XTR M952 cranks and need to know if I can use the 112.5 mm spindle width on the bottom bracket or if I need to get the 116mm width. Thanks.Read More »

1998 Owl Hollow

whats it worth, frame only? thinking about selling an 18" as not quite the right size, frame ex condition, no dings, takes 1 1/8?Read More »

GT Lightning or Lightspeed Owl Hollow

If you were lookiing for a Ti bike, which would you choose and why? I know it's not really VRC stuff but it's close....more to follow:D when I get home...:thumbsup:Read More »