Litespeed Ocoee Frame Frameset

4.65/5 (31 Reviews)

Litespeed Ocoee frame

Submitted by John Miller a Cross Country Rider from Livermore, ME USA

Date Reviewed: November 30, 2002

Strengths:    Strong, comfortable. This frame can be ridden on any epic and the combination of ti and great design will make it pleasurable.
Lite speed is a great company. My Ocoee got stolen and I bought a Seven, big mistake.

Weaknesses:    The only thing that happened was my rear hanger bent, it came right back and shifted fine. I'll take the hit for bending it, but recommend a brake away bolt.
Once you've got one, you don't get to read frame reviews because you'll never need another bike.

Bottom Line:
Great bike, Keep it under lock and key {mine was stolen}.

Favorite Trail:   The one I'm on

Similar Products Used:   Seven Teres {junk, do not buy a Seven product}

Bike Setup:   XT XTR

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Westford, VT

Date Reviewed: June 10, 2002

Strengths:    Strength of the TI along with the Flex to dampen the micro-chatter of AL. Has withstood 4 years of 225lbs of regular hard pounding. Components come and go this frame has been injured but returns to action as strong as ever. Litespeed believes so strongly in their product that they would much rather rebuild yor frame then replace it.

Weaknesses:    It's awful hard to give up your bike when it's your only MTB for a month.(Average total turn around)
Once Seat post tube fractured and once drop-out/bottom tube weld split. Bike comes back to you looking like new from freindly folks at Litespeed. Echo earlier reveiw that decals don't even attempt to last - who cares? Greatest weekness is I don't want to even think about another bike. Frame monogomy.....

Bottom Line:
This can be the only one you'll ever need! Price amortized over 5 years isn't so bad.

I'm torn not knowing whether my riding or manufacturing are the cause of my 2 frame failures.

If you need to have warentee work done stay tightly on your shop. Follow up is the key to follow thru here.

Favorite Trail:   KingdomTrails, VT & SlatyFork, WV

Purchased At:   Earls, Williston

Similar Products Used:   I tested approx 20 frames before the Ocoee. None matched.
Independant had great steel option but the Ti last forever!

Bike Setup:   XTR drivetrain & derailers, King(rear)another bullet proof product!, Marzuchi

Submitted by Dan Burros a Cross Country Rider from Minneapolis, MN

Date Reviewed: May 15, 2001

Strengths:    Light, stiff, comfortable, doesn't rust.

Weaknesses:    Expensive.

Bottom Line:
It's wierd to use the terms stiff and comfortable in the same description but that's the best way to describe this ride. I've ridden CF, ALU, and steel. I fell in love with the ride of steel and didn't think I would ever buy a Ti frame but I got a great deal on this one and I am so happy. This frame is like sticking a rocket between your legs. It's fast, stiff, comfortable, and inspires my "I can do that" attitude. It's got the feel of steel, like it has a personality, and a good one, but it doesn't rust and it climbs like a goat. After taking all my parts off my steel Bontrager and putting them on my Litespeed my bike was 1.1 pounds lighter, and I could really feel the difference. I'm not a weight geek, but let's face it light is better as long as it holds up, and so far it has and I hope it continues to do so. The ride is magical!

Favorite Trail:   Butthole Beach

Similar Products Used:   No Ti, steel (Bontrager Race), Aluminum (Cannondale, Specialized, Jamis, etc.), Carbon (Mongoose, Trek)

Bike Setup:   XTR, Z2 Atom Bomb, Thomson Seatpost and Stem, Profile CF bar, Mavic Crossmax UST, Hutchinson Tubeless Tires.

Submitted by Captain Kirk a Cross Country Rider from SLC, UT

Date Reviewed: August 8, 2000

Strengths:    Aggressive, Quick response, Geometry and welds

Weaknesses:    Decals must go!
I stripped my off... Mat Ti frame only!

Bottom Line:
My Ocoee frame is old school (pre-asymmetrical chainstays), I abuse this frame day in and day out. It is unequivocally one of the most durable Ti frames available.
If you really want to ride, this bike wants to run. If you are interested in titanium buy from the pioneer in the industry... Litespeed. These frames as I well know are not cheap, if you are going to fork out the cash make sure you settle for quality. Litespeed has the quality and the craftsmanship to fulfill all your needs and dreams.

Favorite Trail:   Tour De Suds

Similar Products Used:   I knew what I wanted, I rode a Raliegh MT500 for one season.
After that, I didn't mess around...

Bike Setup:   Chris King H/S, Ibis Ti Bar, Yeti Grips, Ringle 0 degree stem, Ringle Mobypost, Selle Flite Ti seat, Syncros BB, Syncros Steel Revolution Cranks, White Industries Hubs,
Mavic 217/517, XT/XTR Drivetrain, Marzocchi Z-2 Atom Bomb

Submitted by Fab Dogg a Weekend Warrior from San Rafael, CA, USA

Date Reviewed: June 5, 2000

Strengths:    nice soft Ti feel, absorbs the bumps but still feel rigid enuff to make me give it a nice review

Weaknesses:    Okay, I'm like 6'2" and about 185lbs, I got a 20" frame and I feel a little "forced" on the bike... It fells a little long (like from my balls to the stem)...hmmm?

Bottom Line:
this '99 frame is sweet, well, I just kind of wish I had tried out a similar geometry before I bought it... when I first bought it, I slept with it... that's right, in the same bed, i needed to feel each and every weld for myself, and that bottom braket, well, let's just say it was the purrrfect size for my weiner...just kidding... good frame, got it for $1100 at the Village Peddler in Marin County, CA, USA...(okay deal), soft, with enough flex for me, and a fairly stiff downtube...

because of the framesize I've had to invert my stem (so I would have more weight on the handlebars), angle my Selle Italia seat more forward, and dicked around with the barendzzzz... whateva, I dig the bike and would recomend it to anyone who can find a good deal on the frame...Peace Out yall and remember, "RIDE OR DIE"

4 chillies for the expense of the damn thing and 4 chillies cuz the geometry is a little cooky...

Favorite Trail:   rollercoaster (Marin County jazz)

Similar Products Used:   Marin Pine Mountain (crap), Bridgestone MB-1 (culty bike), specialized FSR M4 (still not as nice as my litespeed)

Bike Setup:   full XT, Zokes z2 superfly

Submitted by sam angle a Cross Country Rider from monterey

Date Reviewed: May 27, 2000

Strengths:    stiff, comfy, and makes me smile

Weaknesses:    lame stickers

Bottom Line:
I'm a busy person. For the last three years I have taken this bike out, ridden it hard, and put it away wet. It still works like the day I bought it. It's tough, and light. It rides through everything, and it does a body good (that's only a guareentee if you stay ON the bike). This bike is definitely for a person who likes to ride hard, race, or is just looking for longevity.

Favorite Trail:   wheeler/maples

Similar Products Used:   litespeed obed

Bike Setup:   xt, king h.s. and wheels, sid

Submitted by Sebastien a Racer from Ottawa, Ontario, Canada

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2000

Strengths:    I've had my Ocoee for four years now. The original reason I purchased the frame is still valid. Those who chose to buy titanium may not be getting the lightest frames. What they are getting is long term durability that CANNOT be matched by any other material currently on the market. The reason I chose the Ocoee was that it was the workhorse frameset for Litespeed up until the mid 90's.

The frame is extremely stiff yet extremely compliant. The first time I rode the frame was in a race. I though I was riding a suspension frame. The finish on the frameset is immaculate, though perhaps not the best avaialble. The geometry is set up to make it an awesome climber. I can clear technical uphills with this bike that I haven't been able to do with any other bike I've ridden. Technical singletrack is a breeze. Downhill performance is pretty good, though a bit skittish at speed due to the quick steering cahracteristics of the frame geometry. Technical downhills are not at all a problem. A long steertube allows a rider to place his center of gravity further back on the bike. This allows for steeper declines to be cleared more safely. This frame is ideal for cross country racing.

Weaknesses:    Even though I have high praise for the frameset, I have had some problems with it, and Litespeed. I'm not a finesse rider, though I would have expeceted that a titanium frameset be able to withstand all I could throw at it, my being a 150 lb. rider. This wasn't the case. I snapped the frame wile pre-riding for a local race.

To get the frame repaired was a nightmare. It took three months. Litespeed strictly enforces its warranty requirements. The warranty is valid only for the original owner, and only with a valid proof of purchase supplied directly to them. Due to the incompetence of the staff at the bike shop that I delt with, the required paperwork was not sent to Litespeed and the repairs were put on hold. Although the bike shop screwed up, a rep at Litespeed should have contacted the store immediately to request the required information. I kept checking with the bike shop. They assured me that everything was on track. After a month and a half later I took things into my own hands and contacted Litespeed directly. Customer service wasn't great at first. It took a few weeks to get answers and a confirmation the frameset was going to be repaired. It still took two weeks to get the frame back from Litepeed. They did re-buff the frame and add new decals. As with all Litespeed decals, they did not wear well. I scratched them after one ride and decided to removed them.

Bottom Line:
I think this is a great frameset. It is a work of art. I would suggest a Litspeed to anyone wishing to purchcase a quality titanium frameset. If you want to buy a frameset that will last you a long time (5+ years of major abuse), make the investment and buy titanium from one of the pioneer framebuilders (Litespeed, Merlin, etc.). What sets Litespeed apart from the other pioneer manufacturers is the high quality and wide range of products and prices offered. Even so, Litespeed needs to improve their customer service and turnaraound time on warranty repairs. In my situation, if I didn't have the means to purchase another frameset, the warranty repair would have cost me a whole race season.

Similar Products Used:   Specialized Team Comp (CroMo)
Specialized M2 (Al)
Mongoose Team SX (Carbon/Al)
KHS Alite 3000 (Al)
Rocky Mountain Stratos (CroMo)
Schwinn Moab 1 (Al)

Bike Setup:   Syncros Pro Series Ti Handlebar
Syncros 110 mm stem
Hayes fully hydralic front brake
Avid Arch Supreme rear brake (XT brake lever)
Pedros Blackwalls Grips
Chris King Headset
Marzocchi Z2 BAM front suspension (~3" travel)
Raceface Ti BB
Shimano 747 Pedals
Specialized Strongarm Cranks
Raceface Chainrings (22, 32, 44)
XT Casette (11-34, 9 sp.)
G-Shok suspension seatpost (2" travel)
Bontrager Ti Seatpost
XTR Rear derailleur, XT front
IRC Mudmad tires (Kevlar, 1.95)
Wheelset: Hugi front, XT rear, DT Revolution spokes
Mavic rims, 317 front, 517 rear.
Sach SC-50 Chain

Submitted by Gator a Cross-Country Rider from Tehachapi,Ca.

Date Reviewed: December 22, 1999

Strengths:
Quality, Feel,Weight, and Looks

Weaknesses:
Price

Bottom Line:
This is my 1st Ti frame bike and I love it. It climbs great and helps to smooth out some of the vibrations on downhills. I tried to set it up light for XC and climbing (22 3/4 lbs. 18) I have riden it in 12 hr. and 24 hr. races and I did not feel nearly as beat as others who rode aluminum frames. I have had no problems with this bike but Litespeed quality speaks for itself, I need not say any more.

Double Mtn.

1 Year

1st. Ti frame I have owned so I can only compare it to steel which is similar in feel and Aluminum which is too harsh! Ti is the ticket for me.

SX Carbon, Race Face, King, 517 CD, Mythos SRAM 9 spd, Precision Billet brakes, KORE, Titec

Submitted by thor a Cross-Country Rider from brooklyn, ny

Date Reviewed: July 21, 1999

Strengths:
The frame is really laterally stiff yet vertically compliant, which is much appreciated by my ruptured L4-L5. It hugs the trail nicely. It definitely climbs better than any other rig I've owned.

Weaknesses:
These are tall frames with high top tubes. At 6'2 with a 34 inseam, the 20 gives my boys barely enough room. I had a Kona at the same size and the sloped top tube made me a bit more daring. It looks like the new models have more of a slope....
Also, even though this may sound a little nitpicky, the frame's compliance makes it feel a bit dead. I'm no aluminum fan, but I'm a tad nostalgic for steel's feedback.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is that this is by far the greatest bike I've owned, but, purchased after a series of injuries that have left me slower and a deskjob that's left me fatter, I'm still learning to love it. Through no fault of its own, while I admire it, I still see it as a spoiled brat's bike.

2 Years

Kona, Raliegh Tomac, an 87' Specialized StumpJumper, Giant

Submitted by edoco a cross-country rider from bay area, ca

Date Reviewed: December 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

what can i say about his frame except that i still feel that this is the last frame i will ever own. i spec'd my ocoee in '94. and like most, i did dump a hunk a change on it. i even had buyers remorse after putting the deposit down, but once i hopped on it, damm i was so stoked! i had spec'd a jammin ride--i also have to give credit to the shop for putting the whole thing together beautifully cuz it fit like a glove. i was surprised at how agile the bike handled. it took corners like it was on rails. it climbs and accelerates like it wants to go faster and faster--all i could think was go, go, go! you can basically point it in a direction and it'll go there even when your not properly positioned for that move. and for such a short wheelbase, it is suprisingly very stable and very predictable at high speeds.maintenance? what maintenance--i feel that the frame is virtually indestructable. no paint and beautiful welds. i've only replaced parts when they wear. i don't see replacing the frame.and yes, i do use the bike for what it was intended. i actually had a nice long riding season this year. i started in march with road rides (cuz trail still wet) and just ended about a month ago with a 3 ride per week average.initial investment is high, but well worth it. this frame will last!

Submitted by neil a racer from NC

Date Reviewed: December 8, 1998

Bottom Line:

I've put about 600 miles on my new frame, and all I have to say is it kicks ass. I have ridden every type of material there is, and ti is the heat. Although steel comes very close. If you can find a deal on this BUY IT. LS has a lifetime warranty, unlike some AL frames ive broke. Ive been to the factory and seen the quality these guys put out. NO, their frames are not made by migrants (dirty rumor). It still rides like a very stiff ht, but not nearly as harsh as AL. Climbs like nuts, and corners on a dime. No complaints!!! you might need a brake booster though, i do seem to get some flex out of the stays. 5 flamers

Submitted by Manny a cross-country rider from san diego, CA

Date Reviewed: October 15, 1998

Bottom Line:

I purchased a complete Litespeed Obeb bike in '93. About three months ago I discovered a crack at the juncture of the down tube and head tube. I shipped the frame back to Litespeed (via a local dealer) and upgraded to an Ocoee replacement (for a few extra $$). My new Ocoee is an 18 frame (my old frame was 18.5). I have only put three hours on the bike, but I am very happy with the performance. The bike is a bit more responsive in tight single-track, but does not give up any of the stability I enjoyed in the slightly larger Obed. When climbing loose rocky terrain, the Ocoee again has the edge on the old Obed. While some of the performance improvement may be attributable to the shorter frame fitting my body better, some credit must be given to the frame geometry. There has been some redesign of the frames since I purchased my Obed. Some braze-ons were relocated (for the better). The chain stays are slightly longer, but the bike actually climbs better. I don't know if the assymentric chain stays contribute to the overall performance, but they're a great tech-weenie conversation piece. The brushed finish is good, but not great. The welds are visually perfect. The graphics, especially the Ocoee decal, are a bit overpowering. I was glad they replaced the headtube decal with a cast head badge.Aside from the product, I was very unimpressed with the warranty service. After returning my old frame, I contacted Litespeed several times for status. I kept hearing the word repair, which made me somewhat uncomfortable. The crack they were talking about repairing originated at the weld on the underside of the downtube/headtube and terminated on the topside of the downtube, traveling half the circumference of the tube. At the risk of sounding arrogant, I am a mechanical engineer whose job includes a considerable amount of aircraft component failure analysis and I would never consider repairing such a crack.
In any case, I did get a replacement frame, although it took almost three months.In fairness to the people in the warranty department, I realize it is probably a one-man operation. This individual is probably juggling all the frame and component warranty complaints and trying to sort, catagorize, evaluate and prioritize each item. However, Litespeed (the company) makes the policy, and if this is their standard warranty policy, it sucks!!!Please keep in mind, I am basing my rating solely on the hardware.

Submitted by steve a cross-country rider from greensboro

Date Reviewed: August 31, 1998

Bottom Line:

I have had the Ocoee for 3 weeks now and have put it through its paces. Tight,
twisty, rooty singletrack with downed trees, 2 hour climbs with loose rocks and
waterbars, 30 minute descents with switchbacks, etc. I have found nothing
this bike cannot handle. I am amazed at the way it tracks at very low speed
while climbing. Just point and it goes. Also I have had problems with my back
over the years and I found the ride to be comfy over 3-4 hours. That is the nice
thing about titanium. The only change I have made to the stock bike (XT, Judy
XC) is to change the stem to 120mm with 25 degrees of rise. This allows me to sit more upright and gives me more power on the climbs. Wonderful, wonderful!!

Submitted by Mango a cross-country rider from Amherst, MA

Date Reviewed: August 16, 1998

Bottom Line:

What a sweet Bike! My new Ocoee (I've had it for 4.5 months now) is a quantum leep over My Stump Jumper M2 which I loved and still feel is an excellent bike for the money. The Ocoee Handles beautifully and takes the edge off the rough stuff. My climbing ability has improved significantly with the Ocoee and with a much lighter bike I'm much less bushed after 3 hour ride. The workmanship is top rate.

Submitted by jeff a cross-country rider from harrisburg,pa

Date Reviewed: July 28, 1998

Bottom Line:

purchased this frame after almost 10 years on aluminum. you couldn't image my delight with the ride. there really is something special about ti! the frame built up great with all manufacturing being of utmost quality. my only nitpick is the poor binder clamp on the seat tube. but maybe that's just my experience.
precise handling, nice bottom bracket clearance and that sweet ride! first class all the way!