Kona Hei Hei Frameset Frameset

4.89/5 (36 Reviews)

Kona Hei Hei Frameset

Submitted by Major a Cross Country Rider from Finland

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2011

Strengths:    Lovely geometry, superb climber, resilient feel of ti.

Weaknesses:    None, really. Well, I do like the look of a nicely painted steel frame better than bare ti, but that's about it.

Bottom Line:
Probably the best handling hardtail I have ever ridden. Just does everything really well. Fast and nimble, excels in technical terrain, yet not scared of some downhilling either. Not wanting to repeat what has been said many times here before, but the titanium stays do soak up a surprising amount of chatter, bumps and vibration. Would like to get my hands on a 20" 1993 or earlier (non suspension corrected) Hei Hei some day.

Favorite Trail:   Technical

Similar Products Used:   Lots of steel hardtails

Bike Setup:   19" 1996 Hei Hei frame, full XTR M950 group set, Syncros stem, seat post and handle bars, Rigida rims, Project 2 forks, Flite ti saddle and Ritchey head set + tyres.

Submitted by John a Cross Country Rider from Sta. Rosa Philippine

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2007

Strengths:    Light, Flexible, Durable

Weaknesses:    No brake tabs

Bottom Line:
Beed riding this bike for 12 years! Not too many marriages last this long. Got into MTB back in 1993 and bought this as trophy thinking that it would be my last bike. Guess what? I haven't had another bike since I bought it back in 95. I recently updated this year as my son got into biking and gave him my old parts that survived.

Since I bought the bike, I've had 2 wheelsets, 3 bottom brackets, 2 headsets, and now on the 3rd fork and the 3rd drivetrain. This is one tough bike! Keeps a steady line even when being hammered down the hills. Climbs effortlessly.

Looking for to go FS but it's taking me some time to part with this old and trusted friend

Purchased At:   Bicycle Rennaisance

Similar Products Used:   Kona Cindercone, Trek 950, Specialized M2

Bike Setup:   SRAM X.O., XTR Crank, Mavic Crossland, Fox Vanilla, Avid Mech brakes, Hutchinson Scorpion

Submitted by jason a Cross Country Rider from tulsa ok

Date Reviewed: June 13, 2004

Strengths:    uh its a ti kona

Weaknesses:    i noticed a lot of you listed the lack of disc tabs that can be fixed

Bottom Line:
this is the best hardtail ive ever owned for all of you that are scared about buying one without disc tabs ( as there were very few that came from kona with tabs) ti sports can weld tabs on your frame i had mine down about 2 1/2 years ago and they havent broken yet and as a welder myself they did a good job it runs about 100$ plus shipping but its well worth it because as everybody has figured out by now disc brakes are the only way to roll emal the boys at kona to get the ti sports contact info

Similar Products Used:   cannondale, scaple rockey element, spec. fsr

Bike Setup:   easton carbon, sram xo fox float rlc, sram xo

Submitted by Rich Matthews a Weekend Warrior from Faversham, Kent, United Kingdom

Date Reviewed: March 9, 2004

Strengths:    Hard to believe I've had this bike for 3 years, and it's kinda weird to look back on my review in 2001. I've been all over with this bike, raced it and beaten it up, and it still comes back for more. I've never found problems with having no dask brakes, and if in the future I decide to go that way, I can always have one added. In the thick mud of the UK, the cable routing has never been a problem, and I'm grateful for the sloping downtube when I've found myself in some tricky technical situations. The real strength in this product is it's agelessness (if that's a word!), I've upgraded a few times since I've had the bike, and never once have I thought, time to change the frame, as so many others have said, this'll probably be the last frame I'll own...truely hot potatoe!

Weaknesses:    None, only that Kona no longer make the Hei Hei or King Kahuna.

Bottom Line:
What more can be said. There are still quite a few of these bikes floating about on Ebay both Hei Hei's and King Kahuna's.

They range in age from 1990 - 2001/2 so there's plenty out there..but it's just if you're lucky enough to get hold of one.

The Hei Hei will suit a variety of riders, from weekend warriors to tourers, to out and out race heads.

Ride on!

Favorite Trail:   Dorset Coast Path

Purchased At:   MTBr.com

Similar Products Used:   None simular, but previously owned, Trek 8500, Trek 970, and an Orange.

Bike Setup:   Superlight weight ... 19.0lbs rigid bike.

Submitted by Erwan Varron a Cross Country Rider from Saint Bonnet de Mure France

Date Reviewed: August 4, 2003

Strengths:    Geometry, State-of-the-art tubes, painting general output

Weaknesses:    Price !!!!

Bottom Line:
Well I bought it to own the most reliable bike I ever ride actually. That 's i amazing because it's very effective whereever trails you ride (from Alpes to South and sometimes muddy ground) Titanium is the ultimate Bike Frame material

Favorite Trail:   South France Cassis

Purchased At:   PIERRE Benite France

Similar Products Used:   Kona Kula siez 19 with Easton Elite tubes. Well Alumiunm sounds pretty light and I do not feel comfortable with alloy . South France is hard for both tour bike and your back. I want some something that can lasts

Bike Setup:   Fork Sid SL with lock out (crappy fork) Gears : XTR Xt front derailleur +sprockets) Brake Vbrake XTR Whaeelsq Mavic Tubeless with Hutchinson Tires(morereliable than Michelin Fizik Saddle Polar S710 Hear raye monitor. I do not want any disc Fisrtly it is too expenwsive then I do not have rear drop outs

Submitted by Stewart Berrie a Cross Country Rider from Peterborough UK

Date Reviewed: July 23, 2002

Strengths:    Geometry,ride,credibility... v cool looks!

Weaknesses:    No disc brake hanger, but then again it was cheaper for me to buy a good road bike for Winter (i.e.muddy) riding than it was to fit disc brakes

Bottom Line:
I am 33 & have been mountain biking for over 15 years, during that time I have had all types of bikes including full suspension.I cannot imagine the day when I will feel the need to get rid of the Hei Hei. It really does climb like a mountain goat thanks to its flexibility and agressive geometry.
This might sound a bit daft but there is also a certain reassurance about the longevity of Ti over Steel (which rusts) and Aluminium (which for me still has a 'failure'stigma attached to it.) No such worries with Ti though!You know it will last longer than you will.

Ti really is the ultimate frame material & I would highly recommend the Hei Hei to any cross country/singletrack rider who is looking for a serious piece of kit, which in the long term, despite the initial expense, will prove to be excellent value for money

Favorite Trail:   N York moors (England)

Purchased At:   Moutain Tamers Boston (UK)

Similar Products Used:   Marin-Pine mountain
GT Zasker LE
Trek

Bike Setup:   19" frame with XT throughout (boring I know, but cheap to buy at the end of the year) USE seatpost & Mazzochi Z2's. X-Lite riser bars.

Submitted by BIGern a Cross Country Rider from D.C.

Date Reviewed: March 2, 2002

Strengths:    •lightweight
•Agressive Geometry
•Tight turnung
•Comfortable ride

Weaknesses:    •No disc brakes mounts ( Well thats why older model bikes are more affordable)
*Price for frame

Bottom Line:
I work at a bike shop and tried alot of frames and took my time looking for a good ride that worked for me a 5,11 165lb guy with more leg than torsoe length. The kona frame really seats me nicely. I have plenty of standover height and I can stretch out . I got this 19 in. bike to do a little bit of everything (Urban, Cross Country, Free Ride). So far I have no complaints. It weighs in at 24.3 lb's so you can throw it over stuff with ease and fly up hills. It is nimble as hell and handles fast speeds with ease. Get the urge to do some gnarley riding just lower the seat way down thanks to konas down sloping top tube design.................. I Love Kona frame designs. I love Titanium (soft and light).....!!! What a perfect match !!!!

Favorite Trail:   Can't say

Purchased At:   Big Wheel Bikes

Similar Products Used:   •Rocky Mountain frames
•Marin Frames
•Trek
• Giant frames

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain with XTR rear derailer. MavicX225's with DT onyx Hubs wheelset. Marzochi Bomber Z2 Atom Race. Azonic Riser Bar with Avid Singler digit brake setup. Some ovation parts too.

Submitted by Ti YourMotherDown a Cross Country Rider from Fort Collins, CO

Date Reviewed: October 22, 2001

Strengths:    Light, strong, beautiful Sandvik welds, American tubes, closeout pricing, nice graphics, perfect XC geometry, low stand over height, and let's not forget - the freakin' ride is awesome!!!

Weaknesses:    Uh... no replaceable derailleur hanger... no disc tabs... both seem to be facts of life with ti frames.

Bottom Line:
I'm 38 years old. I live in the foothills of Northern Colorado. I have been active in the MTB community since 1988. The guys I ride with usually do 20 to 40 miles at a time. I always thought of titanium as being for the chi-chi set who, without kids and dogs, could afford Merlin's or Litespeed's. I never thought I would desire a ti frame.

Over the past few years I started to develop a degenerative condition in my neck. I had to get off my alu hardtail immediately - way too abusive - too much high frequency vibration going right to the base of my spine. So, I went big and built up a GT i-drive carbon / thermoplastic frame - the STS 1000. I figured fully suspended carbon fiber with 4.5 inches of travel would buy me lots more time on the bike - and it did. This thing is plush. Unfortunately, even with the lightest parts this pig still weighs about 29 pounds. Add some 2.4's and a long travel fork and it's a 30+ pound trailbike. Of course, now my knees started hurting....

I had heard of ti's sweet, forgiving ride but always thought that at least half of the hype was necessary due to the prices people were paying. I rode an acquaintances ti FS bike and right away I felt the "ride". Based on a friend's recommendation I scored one of these frames on closeout. I am happy to say that not only am I one of the converted but that I will probably never ride anything but ti again. I am now a true-blue, chi-chi-ti man!!!

The ride is "plush", forgiving, predictable, fast, responsive and in NO WAY abusive. You can feel the trail slapping you around - not the bike.

Here's an analogy. I used to build and play guitars professionally. If you play guitar you might appreciate this. Aluminum hardtails are like beginner, laminate acoustic guitars - they're cheap, they get the job done and most people don't know the difference. Full suspension bikes are like electric guitars - lots of new tricks become easier to do. Your style of riding will change. Ti bikes (this one in particular) are like beautiful, handmade, solid wood acoustics. It's all about getting back to the purity of the sport and not losing any of the excitement.

Bottom line. The frame is the heart of the bike. No other part affects the ride so much. This may be the sweetest frame on the planet. If you have the chance, buy two!

Favorite Trail:   luv-em-all

Purchased At:   speedgoat..com

Similar Products Used:   First time on titanium. CANNOT compare to chromoly, aluminum, vanadium, scandium, etc...

Bike Setup:   Full XT, monkey lite risers, Thompson Stem, USE XCR seatpost, 517 wheels, Avid Arch Supreme brakeset, Panaracer XC Pro Kevlar 2.1 tires

Submitted by Matt a Cross Country Rider from Bucktown Pa, USA

Date Reviewed: October 1, 2001

Strengths:    light, nice welds, comfy for longer rides and still nible as hell for tight twisty single track...the bike is also super stable in everything which makes riding it fun as hell.

Weaknesses:    nothing really, it's not as nice as an expensive custom ti frame but then again it wasn't $4000

Bottom Line:
I love the bike, its fast in tight stuff yet good for longer rides and is light. I think that if you were to want something in a bike, the HEI HEI has it all. I ride tech. stuff all the time and it holds its own, lets you throw it around and get threw it... I say its a great bike for all kinds of riding so I give it a great score.

Favorite Trail:   ANYTHING REALLY, ITS ALL GOOD

Purchased At:   BIKE LINE OF POTTSTOWN PA!!

Similar Products Used:   gt alum. frame and tested a few other ti frames

Bike Setup:   Mars Fork, Cane Creek WAM Wheels, XTR, Raceface Next LPs, Thomson Stem/Post, Paul levers, Avid V's and all that other dank stuff that makes up a cool bike

Submitted by Rich Matthews a Cross Country Rider from Tonbridge, Kent, UK

Date Reviewed: August 3, 2001

Strengths:    Well, this baby is just a frame at the moment, but I'm already impressed with the welds and light weight of the frame...it's got the 1997 decals on it too, which personally I think is better than the black decals of later years.

Weaknesses:    None found as of yet...maybe the downtube cable routing, but this frame was built in 1996-97, pre-top cable routing.

Bottom Line:
As I've only had it less than a month, I can't describe the ride, but from what other owners have said here, I think I'm gonna be hanging onto my hat...this is gonna be one heluva ride!!!!

Favorite Trail:   Dorset Coastpath

Purchased At:   On mtbr.com

Similar Products Used:   None touch this, but my other bikes were, Trek 8500, Trek 970, and Orange Clockwork Deore.

Bike Setup:   When built it'll mainly be Shimano XT, Spin Wheels, Marzocchi Z2-Super Flys, USE Shokpost, Time Pedals.

Submitted by tim matsell a Cross Country Rider from banff Alberta Canada

Date Reviewed: May 13, 2001

Strengths:    super strong, beautiful welds, great geometry

Weaknesses:    non so far

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this bike kicks ass. It is very fast on the single track. It does not beat you up on the long haul rides.
And its agressive geometry is great for climbing. I need not say more!!!!

Favorite Trail:   LTJ

Purchased At:   bicycle cafe

Similar Products Used:   Kona Hot 853 steel

Bike Setup:   sandvik 3-25 ti with full xtr and race face, sid 100 shock

Submitted by Corky Still a Cross Country Rider from Anchorage,alaska,usa

Date Reviewed: January 12, 2001

Strengths:    Light weight, softer than aluminum ride, rigid rear end, all around riding bike.

Weaknesses:    not as nice as other titanium frames, not nearly as light as an aluminum frame.

Bottom Line:
This frame has provided me with a number of wonderful rides. It is a far better bike, in terms of all around riding, than my old S-works frameset was. The kona is as comfortable on the race course as it is in the mountains. That's why I like it. If you are looking for a hardtail that you can use to race on the weekend, take long rides in the mountains during the week and hit up the streets for some urban assualt at night than this is your ride.

Favorite Trail:   flume trail

Purchased At:   kona

Similar Products Used:   litespeed ocoee frameset.

Bike Setup:   marzocchi super fly, full xtr, race face accesories.

Submitted by Eben Saling a Cross-Country Rider from Portland, OR

Date Reviewed: May 11, 1999

Strengths:
Durability, Build quality, Heavenly ride and all-day comfort. Kona design.

Weaknesses:
Cable routing. Water bottle mounting hardware.

Bottom Line:
I have owned a lot of great bikes and ridden even more but I have never enjoyed anything as much as this masterpiece from Kona. I hear the Kahuna is better but I am afraid to find out because I plan on keeping this bike for a long time. The frame was purchased used and is not a '99 but I believe the construction is virtually the same except they
went to top tube cable routing the one thing mine is missing. I have not had any problems with my cables yet but from experience top routing is the way to go. When I purchased it the holes for the bottle cage bolts were stripped, they appear to be
aluminum inserts, oversized bolts and loc-tite fixed it but be carful if they are still made the same. Small complaints compared to the quality of the rest of the bike. The construction is top notch and beautiful, I don't have any decals or paint on mine and the flat grey gives it an industrial, fast like a jet, kind of look. the ride is very controlled and natural, point and shoot. Great climber and among the best you could ask from a hardtail on decents. Comfort is to be expected from Ti but the Kona design is for me a perfect compliment on epic rides. I highly recommend this frame and now that
Kona is offering a built bike with similar components to mine I would consider it to be the best bike in it's price range.

1 Year