Klein Attitude Race Frameset

4.4/5 (40 Reviews)

Klein Attitude Race

Submitted by Phillip from North Carolina

Date Reviewed: October 11, 2004

Strengths:    Finish is nice and the frame is sexy. I can go down-hill on it with more confidence than my S-Works thats all tho

Weaknesses:    People praise its performance, I am not as happy as they are. WHen compared to my old S-works it has nothing on it. I think the head-tube is ovalized

Bottom Line:
a nice bike but I will get another S-works. when I get the funds.

Similar Products Used:   S-Works

Bike Setup:   XTR Chris King Manitou MArs Mavic 517's etc. XC build

Submitted by Steven a Cross Country Rider from Bainbridge Island, WA, USA

Date Reviewed: October 4, 2004

Strengths:    Light, responsive, climbs like a mountain goat!

Weaknesses:    Factory finish was nice, but easily scratched. Hayes rear disc mount is challenging, but not impossible, when trying to use other IS disc systems.

Bottom Line:
This is a great hardtail frame, very responsive, great geometry for climbing/power transfer/control. My frame is a 2001 Attitude Race without the internal cable routing (thank goodness!) and I've had it powder coated a custom color so that I don't have to worry about scratching the finish. The 22 mm old-style Hayes rear disc mounts are a bit of a pain when trying to mount other disc systems (like the Avid), but there are adapters available that'll do the trick. I'd definitely shed more than a tear or two if it were ever stolen or destroyed.

Favorite Trail:   Many

Purchased At:   Frame only on eBay

Similar Products Used:   Gary Fisher, Trek, Specialized Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   End to end XTR drivetrain, Chris King ISO hubs and threadless headset, Psylo XC forks (need to ditch these and upgrade!), Avid bearing disc brakes, Thomson stem and seatpost, Easton EC90 bar, etc.

Submitted by Maryanne a Cross Country Rider from East Brunswick, NJ

Date Reviewed: May 14, 2004

Strengths:    Fast, manuevers well, durable, durable and durable. I looove my bike! I have ridden it since 1998 and I have beaten it to death! I am bad with bike maintenance, but luckily it didn't really need it, as I JUST replaced cables and of course brakes throughout the life of it. Always cool paint jobs.

Weaknesses:    None.

Bottom Line:
Klein used to be awesome!! They are going down hill, but this bike is GREAT! I wish I could sleep with it at night (but it steals my covers).

Favorite Trail:   lots!

Purchased At:   Rather not advertise where I got it

Bike Setup:   Avid brakes, XT everything, Rock Shox Judy, etc. etc. You get the idea.

Submitted by Tekin a Cross Country Rider from Brooklyn,NY

Date Reviewed: April 21, 2004

Strengths:    good handling , paint job and durability.

Weaknesses:    frame has no weaknesses but parts that come on the bike do.

Bottom Line:
This was my real 1st mountain bike not counting dept. store bikes that were good enough for transportation in town. It was a good deal back in March 2000 for a 1999 left-over. The seat post cracked within 6 months and replaced it with thomson elite. Manitou fork blew out 2nd year and upgraded to Marz. z2 atom race. This fork made this bike very plush for a hardtail.
This frame is very good but components that come with it are low end most of the time. I have enjoyed this bike for 3 years but decided to sell it and go full suspension and never looked back.

Favorite Trail:   ringwood,NJ

Similar Products Used:   2002 Turner XCE , 2003 Ellsworth Truth

Bike Setup:   Manitou SX-R fork, avid low end v-brakes, lx reverse shifters w/ XTR r/der. Bontrager seat, post, stem,bar tires and wheels. LX cranks.

Submitted by Nikita a Cross Country Rider from Moscow, Russia

Date Reviewed: July 7, 2003

Strengths:    Very rigid, superb handling, accelerates like a bullet, painting, very comfortable geometry.

Weaknesses:    None detected

Bottom Line:
This frame is simply the best hardtail frame I've tried. Light, rigid, controllable, and really FAST! It accelerates so fast that sometimes it scares me - 70 kph is quite good speed for a bicycle :)

Also, Klein's paint job is as great as always.

Favorite Trail:   a lot of....

Purchased At:   Sportex

Similar Products Used:   Attitude Pro&Comp, Treks, Gary Fishers

Bike Setup:   Attitude Race 2002 frame; XT/XTR componentry, Avid SD Ultimate v-brakes, Thomson stem&seatpost, Selle Italia Flite Gel Ti saddle, RS Duke Race fork.

Submitted by Andy a Cross Country Rider from Boulder, CO, USA

Date Reviewed: June 3, 2003

Strengths:    climbing capability, responsiveness

Weaknesses:    none that i know of

Bottom Line:
i am 22 and 155 lbs, i think everyone posting should list their age and weight as it affects the performance and durability of the bike. for me, this bike is outstanding, i race and climb and downhill and this bike takes it all with a big smile on its face. i would recommend this frame and component set to anyone. heavier riders, or riders with little experience that tend to be overly hard on their bikes, meaning, bashing into every rock on the trail, not maintaining their bike, shifting at poor times..etc, dont bad mouth klein, they are a premier frame producer and their bikes work incredibly if you have just a little finesse on the trail.

Favorite Trail:   all

Similar Products Used:   pulse race, hard rock

Bike Setup:   2000 frame, xt/xtr, fox f80x terra logic, rolf wheelset, atac carbon, ti rail seat

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Hampton, NH USA

Date Reviewed: April 2, 2003

Strengths:    Light, rigid frame. Very responsive.

Weaknesses:    Tires, chain suck, over component integrity and most of all... PRODUCT SUPPORT!

Bottom Line:
First, I must mention that I'm not a very aggressive rider. In short, just about everything that could break on this bike did so within the first 50 hours of riding. I snapped three chains, stripped the seatpost, stripped the saddle adjustment axis, went through both deraileurs, busted the small ring and the shifting NEVER worked properly. By midsummer, I was walking my bike out of the woods every time I went riding. I wrote an email of my experience to the Klein company. They responded that I need to be easier on the bike and that "This isn't on us". Great customer support. I'd suggest the Klein if you're really into taking your $1100 bike for a walk.

Purchased At:   Tony's Cyclery

Similar Products Used:   Stumpjumper

Bike Setup:   All stock other than raptor tires & XT rear deraileur.

Submitted by Pete a Cross Country Rider from Lakes, UK

Date Reviewed: March 1, 2003

Strengths:    Light, fast, comfortable; a very good ride. Nice paint job....

Weaknesses:    Internal cable routing; cables routed under bottom bracket; rear Hayes disk mount rather than IS, thus limiting choice of disk system used; poor clearance if you're running larger tyres; long headtube; bottom pull front mech required; seems to suffer quite badly from chainsuck (with a brand new XT chainset); possible longterm durability issues.

Bottom Line:
I got this frame in late 2002 as a warranty replacement for a Trek & two Fishers I'd snapped. It's not a frame I would have bought with my own cash, certainly not at the £600-£700 asking price.

The Attitude rides very well indeed but it's not a great bike for the UK. I've had problems with water freezing around the gear cables where they run under the BB shell - c'mon, this kind of cable routing was passe a decade ago! The internal routing is just a pain when it comes to replacing cables.

Note that the headtube (at least on the XL frame I've got) is very long. The forks I'd been swapping around between other bikes for a few years, despite being run with 20mm of headset spacers, had a steerer that was too short for this frame (without any spacers). When you add in the fact that you'll probably also need to buy a new front mech, you may find yourself unable to simply swap over components from another bike. It could cost you.

This is compounded by the rear Hayes mount; I had to buy an adaptor and new caliper half to run my old C2. I had been running an old Magura rim brake, which I was quite happy with in terms of braking performance. Unfortunately, the tight clearance of the seatstays round the 2.1" tyres I run made getting the wheel in & out a performance.

Don't get me wrong, it's a great ride - fast & responsive, and a great climber. However, the design flaws mean it's not the best option for the UK. Over the last three years I've become somewhat cynical about lightweight aluminium frames (I've had three, all of which have broken within a year). When this one snaps sometime in the next twelve months, which I'm confident it will, I'll be asking for another hardtail from the Trek Co stable rather than an Attitude.

Similar Products Used:   Trek 8000, Gary Fisher Supercaliber(s)

Bike Setup:   Rigid forks, Hope headset & C2 disks, Hope XC hubs on 317 rims, XT drivetrain, Time pedals.

Submitted by Jim a Racer from Bear, DE

Date Reviewed: January 29, 2003

Strengths:    Geometry, light, paint job is cool but I didn't go for that.

Weaknesses:    Haven't found one yet.

Bottom Line:
After using it almost everyday of the season, this frame is incredible. Climbing is fantastic due to the short chainstays and it's a very light frame weighing at 3.2 lbs I believe. My set-up weighs in at a whopping 20 lbs. I can't wait till next season. I reccommend this frame to anyone.

Favorite Trail:   Fairhill, MD

Purchased At:   MTBR.com posting

Similar Products Used:   Mongoose Pro NX 7.3, Trek, Redline

Bike Setup:   XT drivetrain and brakes, Chris King headset, Rock Shox Sid Race, Rolf wheels, Azonic downhill riser bar etc....

Submitted by Rich a Weekend Warrior from New York

Date Reviewed: January 14, 2003

Strengths:    looks amazing, strong, agile, clean

Weaknesses:    nada

Bottom Line:
yes urban assault, my 97 klein (i know its for xc) has taken quite a beating. gaps, drops, some rough stuff and has just kept comin back for more. i've been surprised. the frame is so light it and agile yet so strong. i'm by no means a light rider (215 lbs.) my 97 is still goin' strong and i cant wait to get my new 26" hookworms for my 2001 attitude. it could've come w/ some better parts, i've pretty much changed everything but the over all value is still good. as for those of you that are trek haters:
volkswagons are decent cars, lexus's are nicer. volkswagon owns lamborgini. wouldn't you like to drive a lamborgini?

Favorite Trail:   Rocky point

Purchased At:   lbs/friend

Similar Products Used:   97 klein

Bike Setup:   set-up for urban assault

Submitted by Noah from Los Angeles

Date Reviewed: June 4, 2002

Strengths:    Cripes, is this a great climber! Nimble as all hell, quick on it's feet, and real purty too.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easily...for me, feels a lot less stable with 100mm shocks up front...seems to be designed for 80mm, unless I am high on crack.

Bottom Line:
What a deal I got on this 2000 frame -- sold my Moab 2 for this puppy 'cause I needed a smaller frame. It really climbs like a champ, no lies. Always gets looks, very quick handling -- I'm going to convert my Z1 X-Fly's to 80mm, so the handling will be even more predictable I think. I agree with the posts about the pre-built bikes -- see if you can get the frame only, then build it up yourself. I love this frame, dammit.

Purchased At:   Supergo

Similar Products Used:   Schwinn Moab 2

Bike Setup:   XTR/XT drivetrain, Marzhocchi Z.1 X-Fly, Mavic 517/XTR wheels, KAlloy Uno stem, Avid 10 v-brakes

Submitted by Jim a Racer from Bear, DE

Date Reviewed: May 22, 2002

Strengths:    Looks Sweeeet, extremely Light, The geometry is simply amazing.

Weaknesses:    Paint chips easy.

Bottom Line:
Short chain stays makes climbing hills with this frame is sheer pleasure. I ride a small frame and I'm 5'9", this is the frame for me. I'll swear by this frame, it's very sweeeet!!!! See ya at the finish line.

Favorite Trail:   Fair Hill, MD

Purchased At:   MTBR.com

Similar Products Used:   Trek, Mongoose, Redline

Bike Setup:   XT drive train, Rolf wheels, Sid Race fork... To much to list.

Submitted by matt gersib a Racer from lincoln, ne

Date Reviewed: February 21, 2002

Strengths:    -solid, responsive handling
-amazing build/paint quality
-sensitive to adjustments in setup
-did i mention the handling?
-climbs like a scared cheetah (when my legs are up to it)
-descends with confidence (when set up correctly)
-custom program produces one-of-a-kind paint finishes

Weaknesses:    -thin top tube is somewhat easy to dent
-sensitive to setup - it can work poorly (for me) if set up sub-optimally
-almost too beautiful to get really muddy

Bottom Line:
like several people posting below, i broke a '99 attitude at the right rear dropout and this was my replacement frame. thanks to a friend at klein, they hooked me up with a pre-production 2000 frame with full custom paint. well, since they sent me this frame, i have acquired two other kleins, if that tells you anything about how much i enjoy riding their bikes. they're superb in virtually every way. over the course of the last two years, i've had three different forks on the bike, recently graduating to a manitou black super air set at 100mm, which has reinvigorated my excitement about this bike. it's very sensitive to setup, and late last year, after riding my klein adept with a 105mm manitou x-vert super on the front, i was very dissatisfied with the performance of the 80mm travel manitou sx-r i had on the front of the attitude. i think my riding style has adapted to longer travel forks, so 80mm feels awfully short. the big 30mm stanctions of the black also make the most of the klein's stiff top tube, which enhances handling noticably.

coming off of a bontrager racelite, i was initially worried that the attitude was going to be too harsh for me. i was pleasantly surprised, though the ride is decidedly firmer than the racelite. it's certainly not objectionable, but i also run a bontrager fs ti-railed saddle on this bike (instead of the flite on my adept) to help smooth things out as much as possible. i've run tamer suspension posts on the bike in the past, but don't like the top-heavy feel that suspension posts add to the bike.

overall, this is the best balanced hardtail i've ever ridden in its present state of build. take care setting it up and you'll be rewarded

Favorite Trail:   001

Purchased At:   cycle works in lincoln, ne.

Similar Products Used:   Bontrager Race and Racelite, custom geometry/custom paint Klein Adroit ('00), Klein Adept ('01), Schwinn Homegrown Factory ('00), about 30 other mountain bikes over my lifetime...

Bike Setup:   '00 attitude custom. extra large frame. '02 manitou black super air (no-boss) fork set at 100mm travel. xtr drivetrain except for xt crank/bb. shimano 959 spd pedals. avid cps front disc brake. king hubs/headset. tamer carbon fiber seatpost. bontrager saddle. titec flat tracker handlebar. titec 120mm x 0 deg rise stem (chromoly)

Submitted by Bo Wacker a Weekend Warrior from Roskilde

Date Reviewed: January 8, 2002

Bottom Line:
I have earlier posted my complaint about a broken frame. I returned a broken frame to the USA through the Danish distributor and have now received a new frame. It is a new model and another colour. It took 2 months......

If that is service - I am not sure I will buy the product again. Or maybe it is just my local distributor who needs a kick in the a..

Purchased At:   www.bikeattitude.dk

Submitted by Chad Peterson a Cross Country Rider from San Anselmo, Ca, U.S

Date Reviewed: November 22, 2001

Strengths:    strong, excellent handling, light

Weaknesses:    it's a hard tail, Klein is owned by trek, the wal-mart of the bike industry

Bottom Line:
This is an awesome frame, I reccomend buying it as a frame and building it up. As klein, or trek has a tendency to mix up the components between high and low end parts, I have taken off over a pound and a half buy switching cranks, pedals and front der. Buy this frame if you know how to cut your lines coming down, as the key to this bike is its handling and responsiveness it climbs fast, definatley the best climber I have ever encountered, its also a great decender, I am more the back country rider and choose the klein for its reliability and strength, now I use it as a race specific rig. it makes a key addition to my full susp. rig. If you understand that a full susp. rig isn't always ideal then the klein is a good choice. I have also taken 3 foot drops on this bike, ( I do not reccomend this bike for this purpose ) but it still holds strong.

Favorite Trail:   Mt. Tam