Klein Adroit Pro Frameset

4.29/5 (14 Reviews)

Klein Adroit Pro

Submitted by Mike Gilhooly

Date Reviewed: February 22, 2013

Strengths:    Handling - This bike is built for Northwest tight singletrack and is the most responsive, sick handling bike I have ridden. I am an expert level racer and the harder this bike is pushed the better it feels.
Oh and the paint rocks !

Weaknesses:    Handling - With the tight wheelbase and higher bottom bracket, high speed stability suffers a bit. Having lived and raced in Whistler for 6 years, some of the fast steep and loose downhill sections can be a bit hairy. But I will take the surgical precision on the gnarly black diamond singletrack any day !

Bottom Line:
I have owned 3 high end kleins and loved each of them. The quality and attention to detail is second to none. Like I said, this bike is built for the gnarly stuff here in the Northwest and excels at it with style. I have sorted out the headset/fork issue quite simply. Take your favorite headset and frame to a machine shop and ask them to create a collar that will "friction fit' into the frame that will accept the headset. it only adds a total stack height of 1/2" (1/4" top & bottom) Use red locktite on the frame interface and the problem is solved. $80-100 bucks.

Submitted by fast eddy a Cross Country Rider from holland

Date Reviewed: September 8, 2010

Strengths:    build quality night storm paint job.

Bottom Line:
I used the bike in the 2005 2006 and 2007 bike transalp and
for many more marathons.

Favorite Trail:   stage 3 2005 transalp

Purchased At:   1999

Similar Products Used:   bontrager titanium / steel klein attitude pro john tomac raleigh titanium sevysa.

Bike Setup:   19" frame in night storm chris king hubs sapim x ray spokes
full new xtr group.

Submitted by Justin.C.Hughes a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: July 19, 2008

Strengths:    Awesome level of build quality, paint finish and attention to detail...
Total stiffness and great power transfer, all pedal power transferred into forward motion!
Very responsive and the best handling bike (I have ridden) in the World to date!

Weaknesses:    Fear of damaging whilst riding her hard...

Bottom Line:
I love these bikes, they are the best hard tail bike in the World - PERIOD!
If I ever buy another bike, it will be another of these fantastic bicycles!

Favorite Trail:   Forrest of Dean

Purchased At:   USA

Similar Products Used:   Klein Quantum Pro x 2, Klein Adroit x 4, Klein Rascal, Klein Pinnacle, Kona Explosif, Cannondale F1000, Balance AL-850, Specialized Stumpjumper, and others too!

Bike Setup:   Mavic Crossmax, Shimano XTR, Carbon Flite, MC2 handlebars/stem, Ringle Q/R's and bottle cage

Submitted by d brown a Cross Country Rider from jrzy

Date Reviewed: October 5, 2003

Strengths:    Geometry that makes you fly up hills and down. Explosive accelleration.

Weaknesses:    The paint is too good. Truly art. Hate it when I hear a rock hitting it, or find a new chip.

Bottom Line:
The only real problem that I have run into is the changing of the shock, but I found there is really no need. I don't need to see how far I can fall on a bike (10ft? 15?). Just not my style. I just love ripping through single track on this machine. It's a freakn' scalpel on the trail. So light, so responsive. What? I love it so much, why don't I marry it? Well, as a matter of fact I will. Best hardtail made for the money. If you want to get serious get a Klein, preferably pre Trek. Your riding will go places.

Favorite Trail:   Hartshorn nj, middlesex ct, west rock ct

Purchased At:   EBAY

Similar Products Used:   Alpine stars, gary fisher, cannonsnail,

Bike Setup:   Selle ti seat, raceface riser handlebars, xtr shifterpod/brake lever/brakes/cranks/BB/front derail, eggbeater pedals, xt rear derail, Mavic sup 517's laced to xtr hubs, rock shox on front w/ englund air insert.

Submitted by Ryan a Cross Country Rider from Clive, Iowa U.S

Date Reviewed: June 19, 2003

Strengths:    ummmm....light? cool paint i guess

Weaknesses:    just about everything else. headtube/headset design, paint chips, internal cable routing is cool, useless and hard to route cables.

Bottom Line:
The bottom line is this bike sucks. I'm sure its great to race with, but putting a new fork on it is nearly impossible. Klein made steerer tubes just for the fork that they put on the bike and you cant get it anymore, so the only way you can switch it out is to get an adapter, WHICH of course is only available by a company in Finland. Its like Klein made this bike to make my life hard, or anyone who owns one for that matter. The internal cable routing looks cool, but thats all its good for. I tried to take it apart and put it back together and its nearly impossible to route the cables yourself. Do yourself a favor and dont buy this bike!

Favorite Trail:   brickyard

Similar Products Used:   schwinn mesa gsx, Giant XTC

Bike Setup:   all xtr, rolf propel wheels

Submitted by Rene Hoepelman a Racer from Southern California

Date Reviewed: November 17, 2002

Strengths:    Night Storm paint job, Pretty light for a 19.5inch frame.
I like the classic hardtail frame from the mid to late 90's with the oversized bottom tube

Weaknesses:    Nice paint job Im afraid to scratch it

Bottom Line:
Bike handles well and looks great. I believe it is overrated and overpriced but very unique. If your sick and tired of looking at or hearing the name Trek and cannondale, like I am...... Then this bike is for you.

Favorite Trail:   anywhere

Similar Products Used:   Trek 6500 cannondale F1000

Bike Setup:   full XTR, Manitou elite front shocks. easton monkey lite handle bars. Thompson seat post Selle Italia Gel seat. Bontrager wheelset

Submitted by Gerry a Weekend Warrior from Houston TX

Date Reviewed: July 20, 2001

Strengths:    Strong and sweat frame. Koi paint is too cool. Gets a lot of looks even on the roof rack.

Weaknesses:    I will cry when I finally chip the paint on the frame. The MC3 is a good system, but it no longer has an edge over a threadless set up. No disc tabs.

Bottom Line:
Nice ride even for a hardtail. I have had the frame for many years and finaly had it buit it and it was worth the wait. I hope it is my last bike for 10 years.

Similar Products Used:   Trek OCLV

Bike Setup:   97 frame w/ MC3, 99 Ti Carbon, full 2000 XT kit, crowbar, thompson post, time carbons, flite gel saddle

Submitted by Chris a Cross Country Rider from Birmingham, AL

Date Reviewed: August 21, 2000

Strengths:    Light, responsive

Weaknesses:    Paint, Customer service

Bottom Line:
I ended up shelving this frame (went fs) after having paint blister around the bb area, chainstays, seat tube. It started within the warranty period but I brought it to Kleins attention after the 1 year paint warranty expired. My lbs shipped it to them only for them to tell me that they would gladly paint it again for $. -so they could mess up another paint job right? It seems to be oxidizing underneath the finish forcing the paint to blister or bubble. My '91 klein attitude still has beautiful paint and has been through 3 times the abuse. I have seen frames have similar but not as extensive damage from people not cleaning the sweat off. has anybody had experience with getting results from kleins customer service? I tried and from this experience, I will never buy one of their bikes again.

Favorite Trail:   black mountain NC

Similar Products Used:   older Klein attitude '91, Kona explosive,

Bike Setup:   xtr shift/deraileurs, white hubs, white cranks, thudbuster post time pedals, avid ultimate v's, blah,blah,blah

Submitted by Dave Johnson a Racer from Orlando, FL

Date Reviewed: April 18, 2000

Strengths:    Paint Job, Stiff where it needs to be, internal cables (a pain to setup but look sweet),faaaaaaaaaaaaast, bragging rights

Weaknesses:    Internal cables a real pain to setup!

Bottom Line:
This bike climbs like the space shuttle and corners like an indy car. It rewards a good line and will really bite hard when you pick a bad line. Since buying this bike I am keeping up with guys that used to dust me. I will cry the day the paint gets chipped...anyone that owns a Klein knows what I mean. All in all, this is the best bike I have ever ridden...end of story!

Favorite Trail:   anything north of florida

Similar Products Used:   Cannondale F1000/F3000, Specialized Stumpjumper, Trek 9.9

Bike Setup:   XTR brakes, derailuers, Rolf Dolomite wheels, MC2 bar/stem, Judy SL, Thompson seat post, Sram Plasma shifters, White Industries crank/BB, Specialized Team tires (dirt control front, mt baldy rear)

Submitted by Paul Smith a Cross Country Rider from England

Date Reviewed: February 27, 2000

Strengths:    Weight
Holds a tight line
Fits tall people like me

Weaknesses:    Rear drop outs don't hold wheel very well
Paint chips

Bottom Line:
Looks nice and flies uphills. Holds its line - rides like a dream. I had a back wheel come out on me - the micro drop-outs are, I think, a bad idea. Frame was a write-off. Klein replaced at £300 (cost new was £1250 with Manitou carbon forks). Found Klein's attitude poor.

Similar Products Used:   Specialised

Bike Setup:   XTR v-brakes and gears. Hope hubs and bb on mavic ceramics. AL chainset

Submitted by Marc a Cross-Country Rider from Singapore

Date Reviewed: December 4, 1999

Strengths:
Lightweight
Paintjob
Internal cables
Snob appeal
best poseurble XC bike
Compliant yet rigid
MC2 handlebar/stem
Classic Race geometry

Weaknesses:
MC2 headset is sticky
Classis Race Geometry is backaching at the start

Bottom Line:
Best Bike I ever own . Period .
Elegance at its very best .

___________

XTR/ESP 9.0SL
Judy SL

Submitted by Matt a Racer from Worcester, Ma

Date Reviewed: August 24, 1999

Strengths:
Sx-Carbon
Shorter Stay
AirHeadSet
Accelerates uphills

Weaknesses:
Paint Job
Shorter Stays
Price

Bottom Line:
It Is a Great Bike. It accelerates uphills but it does beat you up on the downhills. The Paint Job looks creat when is was new but chipped way to easily. Talked to my lbs and they said klien will give me a free paint job. I love the sx-carbon and when i want to Mt. Snow Norba Nationals they swapped out the elastermors. From pink to blue. Now it is extremely plush and much better then my old Spyder. I give it five Flammin Chilies for Custerm Sevice beause of the New Paint Job. and 5 chilies for perfermance. Perfection

Vietnam

96 Klein Attitude Xt Package

Put on (8 Trek 950 Components

Submitted by Dan a Racer from Columbus, OH

Date Reviewed: May 5, 1999

Strengths:
light frame weight (2.9 lbs)
Manitou Carbon SX fork (2.8 lbs)
cool paint
handles great
value (bang for the buck)

Weaknesses:
none yet

Bottom Line:
The Adroit Pro fuselage deal is a steal. You get a sub-3 pound frame and a sub-3 pound fork. I got mine at local Klein dealer in Columbus, OH for $1200. Considering that the fork alone retails for $650, I thought this was a great deal. I outfitted it with some parts I had on my old bike and added some new ones as well. At first I was guilty about spending the money, but this bike truly made a noticeable improvement in my riding. It handles and corners like a dream and climbs like a billygoat. And the paint job is beautiful.

Mickey's Mountain

wheels: Chris King hubs mounted to Bontrager Valiant rims, 14/15 DB spokes
Shimano XT 8 sp. shifters, brake levers, brakes, derail., Race Face cranks, Kestrel Carbon handlebar, Flite Ti saddle, Thomson Elite seatpost, Time ATAC pedals, Panaracer Fire XC tires

Submitted by Todd Tucker a Cross-Country Rider from Fayetteville, NC

Date Reviewed: April 22, 1999

Strengths:
Light @ 2.9 lbs.
Great climber
Tight cornering

Weaknesses:
Shorter stays will beat you up
AirHead System

Bottom Line:
The Adroit Pro looks great! Unforunately, the paint will chip easily. I realize that a MTB will get banged up, but this one really kills me when it gets a small ding. I'm not so hot on the SX Carbon. I'm a big boy (230lbs), and miss my bomber. The AirHead system limits the rider as to what shock and stem you can use. Still, I haven't had any play in the headset, and from people I have talked to, I shouldn't expect to. The frame just begs you to fly uphill. I tend to get my tail beat up on the downhills, but with the shorter stays than my Specialized, I somewhat expected it. It seams to handle good around tight corners, and is easily corrected if you start to wash-out on a turn. Overall I am very pleased with the bike.

ALL Trails in Pisgah Nat'l. Forest

3 months

Comes with an Icon MC3 and Manitou SX Carbon fork. Everything else that I put on the bike is essentially XTR, less the Icon Cranks and XT BB.

2000 Klein Adroit Pro Headset question!

Repost from the Trek forum, since I got zero responses there... I'm the second owner of a 2000 Klein Adroit Pro and have a question about the headset type. All specs sheets and service manuals that I could find (which is not many) indicate that the Adroit has an MC3 headset where the upper bearin ... Read More »

2000 Klein Adroit Pro - Headset question

I'm the second owner of a 2000 Klein Adroit Pro and have a question about the headset type. All specs sheets and service manuals that I could find indicate that the Adroit has an MC3 headset where the upper bearing is inserted from the bottom and does not use a starnut to preload the fork in the he ... Read More »

2000 Klein Adroit Pro

Just purchased a 2000 Klein Adroit Pro in very good condition. Klein's website no longer exists. Does anyone have a PDF of the service manual for this year and model? I'm specifically interested in how to maintain the MC3 headset. Thanks. TomRead More »